PDA

View Full Version : Yi Bu San Chui

Michael Dasargo
03-17-2011, 11:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwRDdzy78ls

some details:
http://www.sandiegofitnessmartialart...xing-quickness

Hey all,
I slapped together a quick video with our understanding of the principle behind the 1 step 3 punch combination. I am entertaining the thought of putting together instructional videos including training drills and their progressions and meticulous detail into the functionality of various mantis boxing tactics.

I'd appreciate some feedback with what you'd all like to see, what you don't want to see, and how much you think something like that would be worth. I'm considering uploading to payloadz.com

I also need some feedback form the less experienced and unskilled community as I tend to be blinded by the "black belt eyes".

Much appreciated!

-N-
03-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Hey Mike!

The hip double twist is good. Maybe use more classical Mantis handwork to demo the concept.

One example could be right hook punch, right inside diou, au lou choi. Not that the hook punch would be the initiating attack though.

Another could be right right kwun jeong, right au lou choi.

Maybe more emphasis on coordinating the relaxed handwork with relaxation/snap in the hip rebound.

If you want to do more boxing type hands, you can do left jab, right cross, right au lou choi.

If using more punch type setups, you might use more fa mei or tiou type motions rather than diou/fung. Palm setups will give you faster transitions to diou/fung followups.

I tend not to go for a midline target with au lou choi.

When you jab to the inside, and the opponent counter jabs, you can be a half beat faster if you come back with a left parry right attack compared to right diou/fung au lou choi attack. You still have the hip double twist with the left parry right attack version.

We never try to match au lou choi against a real jab.

You guys should come up to the Bay Area for spring break!

-N-
03-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Some other examples can be:

Right jab, parry his counter jab with your left while using right leaking palm. You can continue with left regrab of his left parrying hand, and finish with waist chop or belly caving punch. In this example you get to fire off the double hip twist twice in a row. Actually it's a triple, since they overlap by half.

or

Right jab, left clear(or left bo chui - your choice depending on his angle), right steal heart punch.

Both classic Mantis examples.

YouKnowWho
03-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Yi Bu San Chui

My 2nd TCMA teacher was my brother in law from the 罗漢(Luo Han) system. He taught me an open hand form and a pole form when I was 11 years old. Oneday I got into a fight. That night I complained to him that the form that he taught me didn't work very well for my fighting. At my young age, I thought that if I knew a TCMA form, I should be able to beat up everybody. He said, "If you are interested in fighting, you should spend the next 3 years to train 1 step 3 punches". That lesson had changed me the entire view about TCMA. It's not how much you know but how well you can do on few things.

I'd appreciate some feedback with what you'd all like to see,
What I would like to see is to use the "monkey stance" to hop in for your punches. For example:

- hop in, and throw right back fist (initial set up),
- hop in again, and throw left hook, right hook, and right back fist,
- hop in again, and throw left cross, right jab, left cross (to the head), and right jab (to the chest).

3 forward steps with 8 strikes. In other words, 1 step 3 punches is just the general concept. You can have 1 step 1 punch, 1 step 3 punches, 1 step 4 punches, even 3 steps 1 punch (Longfist running punch).

mooyingmantis
03-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Mike,
Nice clips! I always enjoy the vids you post. It is good to see another practitioner willing to share "the good stuff".

-N-
03-18-2011, 03:09 PM
What I would like to see is to use the "monkey stance" to hop in for your punches. For example:

- hop in, and throw right back fist (initial set up),
- hop in again, and throw left hook, right hook, and right back fist,
- hop in again, and throw left cross, right jab, left cross (to the head), and right jab (to the chest).

May I suggest a variation of the above...

Only 2 monkey steps.

Kwun jeong instead of backfist, left hook, right hook, right filing punch instead of backfist, all on the first monkey step.

Left clear, right steal heart punch, left cross, right steal heart punch, all on the second monkey step.

All of this would be for training only. Easier to finish off with jump/shift groin kick after the filing punch.

3 forward steps with 8 strikes. In other words, 1 step 3 punches is just the general concept. You can have 1 step 1 punch, 1 step 3 punches, 1 step 4 punches, even 3 steps 1 punch (Longfist running punch).
Kicking as well.

Last weekend we had a student running constant figure eights while kicking and striking, with multiple attacks within each single step transition.

YouKnowWho
03-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Only 2 monkey steps.
I think I made a mistake there. The original dill should be:

- monley step, back right palm strike (for set up), left hook, right hook,
- monkey step, right back fist, left cross, right jab, left cross (to the face),
- monkey step, right jab (to the chest)

-N-
03-18-2011, 06:40 PM
I think I made a mistake there. The original dill should be:

- monley step, back right palm strike (for set up), left hook, right hook,
- monkey step, right back fist, left cross, right jab, left cross (to the face),
- monkey step, right jab (to the chest)

Well, I won't say mistake. But maybe one version is more characteric for Mantis than the other.

Was this a drill that you did? I don't bother with "formal drills" these days. I just put something together on the fly as needed, and have people work on it.

I do like your second series better. Especially using the back palm(kwun jeong) to set up left/right hooks all in one step.

For actual usage, I wouldn't follow with the next 2 lines after the initial one.

After left/right hook, you're ready to do one last highline attack to force the head up and back. That's why I prefer filing punch(chinese uppercut) instead of backfist. After that, you have to go low immediately. Steal heart punch, single leg pickup, groin kick, or whatever finishing move you prefer.

YouKnowWho
03-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Was this a drill that you did? I don't bother with "formal drills" these days. I just put something together on the fly as needed, and have people work on it.

I have a good collection of mantis drills. That one is one of my favor. I like the following drill too:

- monkey step, right back palm, right Diao, left outer hook strike,
- monkey step, right palm edge strike,
- monkey step, left Diao, right palm edge strike again.

Michael Dasargo
03-21-2011, 08:55 AM
worrrd thanks guys! I was initially thinking of easin' into the system to target those who don't know what's really unique about TLQ, which to me, is the rapid fire cadence.

ah here go hell come. I'll post up montages of all the suggested examples with minimal breakdowns just cuz those are all fun examples.

I'm considering putting together drills and detailed breakdowns for suttin like $1.99 cents a download, which most of you guys dont need but may benefit others. Not tryin' to claim fame, just tryin' to pay the bills. The original intent is to help my military students continue their studies during deployments.

thanks for the feedback! I'll repost soon.

Mike D.

Michael Dasargo
03-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Okidoki, rushed to put together some quick vids for the fun of it. A little fumblin around with the unscripted talk, but rest assured, I'll most definitely make it more pro for the downloadable material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJXyOkUmJEI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNgXmVxHEc8

Some quick write ups:
http://www.sandiegofitnessmartialarts.com/blog/entry/1664111/%E8%9E%B3%E8%9E%82%E6%8B%B3-mantis-kung-fu-tiger-gate-attack

http://www.sandiegofitnessmartialarts.com/blog/entry/1664681/%E8%9E%B3%E8%9E%82%E6%8B%B3-mantis-kung-fu-solutions-for-rigid-defenses

-N-
03-23-2011, 06:32 AM
I like this. Looks like Mantis :)

Also good that the partner/defense side of the drill counters using the concepts you teach in the drill. That way it isn't just one person getting the benefit of training and the other ingraining bad habits.

Next the partner can make it more difficult(and safer for himself) by not "freezing" his final motion.

Nice :)

-N-
03-23-2011, 12:28 PM
More things to play with...

Whether your opening move engages the lead hand or the rear hand.

Whether you leak directly to strike, or you use your inside tiou/ou first.

Lots of variations and preferences.

For straightline open handed attack, eye attack is nice.