PDA

View Full Version : defense against jabs

shaolin_allan
03-20-2011, 04:28 PM
I know everyone is always worried and/or focused on either learning grappling or learning anti-grappling when doing wing chun. what would you say the simplest techniques are to be able to work against a good street boxer who keeps throwing fast jabs and pulling his hand back before it could be controlled?

YouKnowWho
03-20-2011, 04:34 PM
what would you say the simplest techniques are to be able to work against a good street boxer who keeps throwing fast jabs and pulling his hand back before it could be controlled?
Kick him, the leg is always longer than the arm. Let your opponent to run into your kick like in the following clip at 4.26.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G31h5gbazwU

trubblman
03-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Seems like the easiest way to discover this would be to first find a boxer.

shaolin_allan
03-20-2011, 04:38 PM
I have actually sparred a bit with my cousin who just did some basic boxing at a gym and find that it can be tough to work against well placed fast jabs, thats why I was wondering. YouKnowWho which style is it you train again? you've told me before but I cant remember.

YouKnowWho
03-20-2011, 04:44 PM
YouKnowWho which style is it you train again? you've told me before but I cant remember.

I have trained Longfist, Mantis, Lou Han, Baji, WC, Zimen, Chinese wrestling, Taiji, XingYi, and limited Bagua (8 palms only). My point of view may not have to do with any particular style but TCMA in general.

If you don't let your opponent to put any weight on his leading leg, he can't punch you. That's the simplest soultion against any striker. In other words, if you pay attention on his weight shifting, you have just make the fight much simpler.

Just like the WC "chain punches", there is a "chain kicks" that you constantly "step (not kick)" on the knee of your opponent's leading leg. This will put your opponent in defense mode and interrupt his punch.

AdrianK
03-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Kick him, the leg is always longer than the arm. Let your opponent to run into your kick like in the following clip at 4.26.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G31h5gbazwU

Good luck, a boxer doesn't jab just to jab. If you're being jabbed its because hes already in your range to jab, making your leg being longer than his arm, irrelevant.

Anyways, trying to control a jab is superfluous. Timing > Jab. You don't need control, pak-sao punch works because, well, boxers do pak-sao punch all the time.

Only its called parry then jab, or parry then cross.

So yeah, don't kick him, thats flat out idiotic. By the time you get your leg up in the air the cross is already hitting your face and by the time you kick, he's at the hook and its over.

If you want defense against a jab, go to a boxing gym and see how they do it, then work out your approach in wing chun.

shaolin_allan
03-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Good luck, a boxer doesn't jab just to jab. If you're being jabbed its because hes already in your range to jab, making your leg being longer than his arm, irrelevant.

Anyways, trying to control a jab is superfluous. Timing > Jab. You don't need control, pak-sao punch works because, well, boxers do pak-sao punch all the time.

Excellent points and the reason why i started this thread. I agree pak sao and punch would be the first and simplest answer. I was just wondering of some other methods to work against the jab.

shaolin_allan
03-20-2011, 05:10 PM
I have trained Longfist, Mantis, Lou Han, Baji, WC, Zimen, Chinese wrestling, Taiji, XingYi, and limited Bagua (8 palms only). My point of view may not have to do with any particular style but TCMA in general.

Thats interesting. I am going to cross train in another kung fu style after i get a good base in the wing chun. I was considering either the wudang arts hung gar or 7 star mantis. Any ideas which of those would be the easiest to transition to? Also which style(s) do you currently train under a sifu?

YouKnowWho
03-20-2011, 05:16 PM
When we face a boxer, we can always just drop down our knee and beg for mercy, or we can "try" to use our TCMA skill to beat the sh!t of him. ;)

If we let our opponent to enter our kicking range, that will be our fault to start with. To be able to guard our territory is the most important training in TCMA. Again, by watching our opponent's weight distributation, we can make the fight "simpler".

Thats interesting. I am going to cross train in another kung fu style after i get a good base in the wing chun. I was considering either the wudang arts hung gar or 7 star mantis. Any ideas which of those would be the easiest to transition to? Also which style(s) do you currently train under a sifu?
IMO, the white crane system (both are southern CMA) will be the easiest style to transite to after WC.

I don't train any particular style at this moment. I'm more interesting in the kick, punch, lock, throw, and ground game integration.

I was just wondering of some other methods to work against the jab.
Not sure if you are only interested in the WC solution against a boxer. To exchange punches against a "boxer" is just like to use wrestling against a Judo guy, it may not be the best option.

Besides kicking, there are many other options such as:

- borrow his commitment and throw him.
- wrap his arms and enter.

By keeping a boxer to be outside of his striking range, or inside of his clinch range will both be good options.

Violent Designs
03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
That's not necessarily true.... box a kicker, kick a boxer....

In Muay Thai strategy, one method against a strong boxer is to chop down his legs, kill his root, balance, everything.

One thing my coach always says is "every time he tries to punch you, or get close to punching you, kick him in the leg, punish him for coming forward every single time."

This is easier to show you in video or a fight footage, so I give you here - Daniel Ghita vs. Sergei Kharitonov.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdZILV0it7U

Kharitonov has been boxing forever since being in Russian military, also doing professional boxing for a while now, on and off. He's not the best boxer for sure, but he has incredibly heavy hands, retard toughness, and retard stamina. Anyway, he's a pretty **** good boxer for MMA and K-1 standards.

Ghita is a Muay Thai wrecking machine. He is quite tall and rangy, has power in both hands, and has incredible kicks all around. Just incredible technique in this guy.

Watch how Ghita keeps Sergei at bay, punishes him for coming in, then if Sergei is too close, he clinches/grapples to neutralize his boxing.

shaolin_allan
03-20-2011, 07:12 PM
yeah that is true. if you take away their root then it weakens the strikes

Violent Designs
03-20-2011, 07:17 PM
I understand we are talking about WC strategy but why cannot WC stylist, or any stylist use the Muay Thai style "chopping leg kick" is beyond me.

Use what is effective.

Sure stomp kicks and side kicks to the legs works too, before anyone says I said you can't use them....

YouKnowWho
03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
That's not necessarily true.... box a kicker, kick a boxer.... every time he tries to punch you, or get close to punching you, kick him in the leg, punish him for coming forward every single time...

Agree with all the above.

I'm not sure about to box a kicker is the best idea. I prefer catch the kicker's leg and then sweep/hook his standing leg and take him down.

Again, I'm not sure people only want to hear about the WC solution or general TCMA solution here.

I understand we are talking about WC strategy but why cannot WC stylist, or any stylist use the Muay Thai style "chopping leg kick" is beyond me.

Use what is effective.

Sure stomp kicks and side kicks to the legs works too, before anyone says I said you can't use them....
The "chopping leg kick" may not be a popular strategy in TCMA "yet", but I'm sure it will be soon. Not to allow your opponent to put weight on his leading leg (similiar to MT's chopping leg kick) is an important strategy in TCMA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jWBs5w6HpQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3NKF2MICeo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k52BcVINbbE

shaolin_allan
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
really any good solutions can be used in our wing chun and leg kicks are a great idea

Phil Redmond
03-20-2011, 08:35 PM
What is you're sparring or fighting someone and no legs kicks are allowed?
Anyway, I have an answer since there are boxers training in TWC including a professional. But since what we do is be criticized by most WC people I'm not even going into it. I know that it works for me and that's enough.

shaolin_allan
03-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Phil why bring it up and not go into it? To make us jealous? lol

Hardwork108
03-20-2011, 09:46 PM
I know everyone is always worried and/or focused on either learning grappling or learning anti-grappling when doing wing chun. what would you say the simplest techniques are to be able to work against a good street boxer who keeps throwing fast jabs and pulling his hand back before it could be controlled?

I agree with Youknowwho. Another way to deal with jabs is to intercept, stick and follow them home. This is not an exclusively Wing Chun approach as ity is used in other Internally inclined TCMAs. Also, as you can imagine, it is not an easy skill to master, as it requires a lot of sensitivity training and "listening" abilities.

YouKnowWho
03-20-2011, 10:16 PM
If you hold your both hands into a big fist, you then hide your head behind your 2 arms. Your triangle arms posture can function as a wedge (almost like boxing guard). It can be used as both offense and defense. You can use it as rhino horn and hunt for your opponent's head. That's also a very "abnormal" TCMA fighting strategy, stupid, simple, but effective.

http://www.genxnews.com/2009/11/rhino-horn-costlier-than-gold/

jesper
03-20-2011, 11:27 PM
If we let our opponent to enter our kicking range, that will be our fault to start with. To be able to guard our territory is the most important training in TCMA. Again, by watching our opponent's weight distributation, we can make the fight "simpler".

Given that WCK is a close quarter combat system, why would I try to keep him outside his punching range. which coincidently is also my favorite range ?

AdrianK
03-21-2011, 03:22 AM

Then guarding against a jab becomes irrelevant.

couch
03-21-2011, 04:20 AM
Excellent points and the reason why i started this thread. I agree pak sao and punch would be the first and simplest answer. I was just wondering of some other methods to work against the jab.

Pak Sau is good. Not being there is much better.

"Best way to block a punch is no be there." Mr. Myagi

AdrianK
03-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Pak Sau is good. Not being there is much better.

"Best way to block a punch is no be there." Mr. Myagi

Against a jab? :confused: I can jab all day long, keep moving, cause if your only response is to move out of the way, you'll be tired out long before I stop jabbing. Takes less energy to throw out a jab than it does to move your entire body.

LoneTiger108
03-21-2011, 04:59 AM

Personally, and I have found this to work quite well, I attack the attacker. Punching the weakspots of the jab hand and arm works better than paksau imho. Then build your attack to charge straight through the jab into the body. On the possibility of this not working, just kick the boxers lead lead so his jab can't reach you, follow through with chong kuen!

Don't waste your time trying to catch the thing unless you have caught that fly with your chopstix first! :D

LSWCTN1
03-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Does nobody here remember the three step punching??? Jeeze!

hunt1
03-21-2011, 06:57 AM
You defend against a boxer throwing a jab using the same general idea's a boxer would use. Just using wing chun hands instead of boxing hands. Why would you do anything else? No one has more experience defending against jabs than boxers. Why try to reinvent the wheel?

LoneTiger108
03-21-2011, 08:04 AM
You defend against a boxer throwing a jab using the same general idea's a boxer would use. Just using wing chun hands instead of boxing hands. Why would you do anything else? No one has more experience defending against jabs than boxers. Why try to reinvent the wheel?

Interesting. My point is if you know whats coming why are you defending it at all??! Makes no sense to me.

Does nobody here remember the three step punching??? Jeeze!

Dunno about that, but in LSWC we do have something known as Battle Fist! This is a great attack against the jab, especially if the boxer is quite square-on...

hunt1
03-21-2011, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;1084710]Interesting. My point is if you know whats coming why are you defending it at all??! Makes no sense to me.

Knowing whats coming and being able to do something about it are two totally different things.

Phil Redmond
03-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Phil why bring it up and not go into it? To make us jealous? lol
Good one. :) No, just tired of non fighters "typing" how is should be done.
I'll put a clip of how to deal with a really fast jab here:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/wckcg/
The requirement to join this group is that you send/upload to youtube, etc., a clip of you doing WC.
That way people who criticize and don't show how it should be done are excluded.

Phil Redmond
03-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Good fighters don't simply jab. They stick and move. A well placed "damaging" kick at a target near the lower edge of your peripheral vision can be hard to pull off on a moving target. And if you kick him that doesn't guarantee he'll be stopped. We all including me, demonstrate something like a pak da, lop da and stop.
In the real world one punch or kick doesn't always stop a fight. Fighters can take lots of punishment, especially with the adrenalin surge. We see fighters in the street and in the cage take all sorts of hits and still continue. So that one kick to a really fast jab may not work. Here's another scenario, you've injured your leg during a street fight and you can't kick? You'll have to use your hands to deal with the jab then. ;)

sanjuro_ronin
03-21-2011, 09:38 AM
As a boxer I agree with all the points that have been made here and suggest that WC people do just that.
:D

YouKnowWho
03-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Given that WCK is a close quarter combat system, why would I try to keep him outside his punching range. which coincidently is also my favorite range ?
You can take advantage on your

- opponent's weakness, or
- your own strength.

If there is a conflict such as your strength is also your opponent's strength, you have to make your own judgement.

couch
03-22-2011, 04:17 AM
Against a jab? :confused: I can jab all day long, keep moving, cause if your only response is to move out of the way, you'll be tired out long before I stop jabbing. Takes less energy to throw out a jab than it does to move your entire body.

It takes more energy for me to move my head/torso and cover up than it does for you to protect your head and move your feet and hands WHILE trying to chase me down/track me?

I wonder why the puncher can only sustain punching for so long until they have to stop - but the defender at the time can cover up, move, etc the whole time and longer? It has to do with energy expenditure.

"Punches in bunches." (Not forever).

AdrianK
03-22-2011, 06:11 AM
It takes more energy for me to move my head/torso and cover up than it does for you to protect your head and move your feet and hands WHILE trying to chase me down/track me?

Tracking someone is a whole lot easier than timing and reacting to someone.

A jab:
1.) Doesn't always need to use the torso

2.) And when it does, it doesn't always need a dramatic movement of the torso. Its not always or even often used as a powerful strike

3.) A Boxer's head really shouldn't move, a boxer should keep his chin tucked when throwing the jab.

4.) Anyone who has fought before and hell, even plenty of people who haven't, can tell you that it takes more energy out of you when your opponent is the one dictating the pace of the fight.

5.) Jab -> Dictating the pace, Evasion -> Having to react at my pace.

I wonder why the puncher can only sustain punching for so long until they have to stop - but the defender at the time can cover up, move, etc the whole time and longer? It has to do with energy expenditure.

"Punches in bunches." (Not forever).

To be honest, there are shots that you throw hard, and shots that you don't. The jab is usually one of those that you don't, and really doesn't require much energy at all. Certainly not as much as moving your entire body, but whatever.

Anyways, point is that constant evasion isn't a solution. Unless you really believe you can perfectly evade the punch output of a normal fighter.(which is ridiculous)

Evasion is great, but it has its time and its place. No point in moving just to move out of the way. You need to counterattack sometime or another.

shaolin_allan
03-22-2011, 08:09 AM
wow we are getting some good replies on this thread and input surprisingly. While I was sparring a boxer the one thing that seemed to work for me is the takedowns that I learned in Wing Chun. Even though I found quick jabs tough to handle being that close I was able to tie the striking arm up and use the trips while i tried to get shots in.

YouKnowWho
03-22-2011, 08:48 AM
tie the striking arm up.
IMO, this is the best approach. If you can wrap your opponent's arms (like an octopus wraps around prey) and temporary disable his striking ability, you can then consume him slowly after that.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9103/octopuswrapprey.jpg

couch
03-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Tracking someone is a whole lot easier than timing and reacting to someone.

A jab:
1.) Doesn't always need to use the torso

2.) And when it does, it doesn't always need a dramatic movement of the torso. Its not always or even often used as a powerful strike

3.) A Boxer's head really shouldn't move, a boxer should keep his chin tucked when throwing the jab.

4.) Anyone who has fought before and hell, even plenty of people who haven't, can tell you that it takes more energy out of you when your opponent is the one dictating the pace of the fight.

5.) Jab -> Dictating the pace, Evasion -> Having to react at my pace.

To be honest, there are shots that you throw hard, and shots that you don't. The jab is usually one of those that you don't, and really doesn't require much energy at all. Certainly not as much as moving your entire body, but whatever.

Anyways, point is that constant evasion isn't a solution. Unless you really believe you can perfectly evade the punch output of a normal fighter.(which is ridiculous)

Evasion is great, but it has its time and its place. No point in moving just to move out of the way. You need to counterattack sometime or another.

I never said that constant evasion is the key. It was offered as another option. It's bloody hard to hit someone who keeps moving and running away until they get a chance to attack. I have sparred experienced Tae Kwon Do folk and it's hard to get anything off while they move around.

1. A jab doesn't need to use the torso, but it needs footwork (stepping) to work.
2. True. A jab can flick, feel, or hurt.
3. Not true. Talk to my boxing coach who trains the WBC champion here in Halifax. Keep the head moving = not an easy target.
4. I disagree, but that's okay. Takes more energy to punch than cover up. This is my experience. I can run all day (like the TKD folk) but I can't punch all day. Not even jab all day.
5. We disagree.

JamesC
03-23-2011, 12:28 PM
I'd like to try and add a few things, if possible. I'm not trying to argue either way, but I thought the extra info might add something to the discussion.

I have been doing Muay Thai and straight boxing for a few years now. In the process i've learned quite a few variations of the jab. The jab is the bread and butter of an outside fighter like me, so it was always to my advantage to learn to use it in as many ways as is effective. I'm not going to write a treatise on the jab as it can become quite exhaustive trying to put all the nuances of punching in writing.

1. Flicking Jab - I've seen different versions of the flicking jab over the years. The footwork usually falls into 2 categories: With a step, or without.

With a step typically uses a step and drag pattern, allowing people with quick feet to add the extra forward momentum to their punch. Without, on the other hand, can be thrown from the shoulder in rapid succession. It isn't powerful, but it isn't meant to be. It is meant to be a feeler for range, your opponent's defenses, and as a distraction so they won't see you that you are setting up something more powerful.

2. Stiff Jab - The stiff jab always relies on your footwork. You have to be rooted in order for it to be really stiff. I've seen the footwork 2 ways on this as well: Step and drag, or more of a falling step.

The step and drag is just how it sounds, but i've always considered it weaker, albeit faster than the falling footwork. You use the forward momentum to punch straight through them and you keep pressing forward, using your back leg to set it up again if need be.

The falling footwork is more for catching them unaware if they don't have their distance yet or are particularly slow, or have a hole in their defense. You step forward and strike just as that lead foot is landing, adding a forward and down energy to the strike. If I use this one it is usually a one-shot strike since instead of bringing my rear foot up to meet my lead, I step back to my original position with my lead foot. It would look almost like a thrust in modern fencing. I find it works particularly well if you know you're gonna catch them right on the nose.

My favorite use of the stiff jab is for when someone is really good at keeping their chin tucked. You hit them with a good stiff jab in the middle of the forehead and they have no choice but to lift their head(and thus their chin) for a nice big strong-side punch.

3. Switch Jab - This is my favorite. I learned it in muay thai. If i've been banging them with jabs for a bit, this one works wonders.

Footwork is the same as if you are switching to make a muay thai kick with the left leg. You punch out, but as you do you quickly switch your feet so that your left leg is now behind, while your right is in front. This, in effect, turns your jab into a quick left cross.

Be warned, this will usually cause you to fall forward, but the footwork often confuses them so badly that you simply step back through with your left foot and kick with a right round or a right cross to the face.

4. Leaning Jab - This is more from when I was doing JKD. About the only thing I took from it, tbh. Anyhow, it works by making your opponent misjudge your distance.

Essentially, you are in a back stance. However, you want to make yourself look like you're in a natural boxing stance. What this does it creates the illusion that you are way out of range with your jab. All you really have to do is shift your weight forward and do the kung fu equivalent of a front punch. You lean forward on the left leg and punch out as far as you can. If you do it right, they get really confused about how you can hit them even though you look very far away.

5. Circling Jab - This is more of a hybrid. Think Ali and you have the gist. Simply use a flicking jab, but instead of going forward, take small steps to their outside. You don't even need to always pull them back very far, so long as you keep it in their face. This keeps them overloaded and can often expose weaknesses and open them up for something better. Not to mention their over-correction.

That's all i've got time for at the moment. I can write more later if anything seems confusing or whatever. Unfortunately I have to go earn my pay, though.

SAAMAG
03-23-2011, 03:40 PM
I can't believe there's this much debate. You evade, deflect, block or jam, or intercept. No different than any other straight punch.

JamesC
03-23-2011, 03:41 PM
I can't believe there's this much debate. You evade, deflect, block or jam, or intercept. No different than any other straight punch.

That's kinda my thoughts as well.

Why not just move your head?

couch
03-23-2011, 08:00 PM
That's kinda my thoughts as well.

Why not just move your head?

As I said.

AdrianK
03-24-2011, 04:32 AM
I never said that constant evasion is the key. It was offered as another option.

Huh? You said "Pak Sau is good. Not being there is much better."

Hardly sounds like offering it as another option, its an assertion that its a superior method.

To be honest, I love boxing and I love slipping and weaving, but against a jab I think its completely pointless to give up your position like that unless you're trying to play a mental game of some sort, or you haven't gotten used to their timing yet.

It's bloody hard to hit someone who keeps moving and running away until they get a chance to attack. I have sparred experienced Tae Kwon Do folk and it's hard to get anything off while they move around.

I don't know what to tell you here, to be honest. I've never had an issue hitting anyone with a jab, least of all "Experienced Tae Kwon Do" folk. Maybe work on your timing and targeting, spar a lot more, too.

1. A jab doesn't need to use the torso, but it needs footwork (stepping) to work.

No, it doesn't. A perfect, technically correct jab (in some trainers eyes) is one that utilizes hip and shoulder rotation, the forward momentum with the step, the corkscrew motion with the fist, etc.

But boxing isn't about perfect technique. And the jab can be used in other effective ways, without the step, hip and shoulder rotation, even without the corkscrew motion. These things can remove power and speed, but if you know your opponent is going to move their entire body each time you jab, you dictate the pace of the fight and make them waste energy by putting them on the defensive. Throw in a hard shot every now and then to keep them guessing, and you're golden.

3. Not true. Talk to my boxing coach who trains the WBC champion here in Halifax. Keep the head moving = not an easy target.

You're twisting my words. I never said it was an easy target, I'm saying its easier to hit a moving target than it is to time an opponent's attack. Keep in mind that tracking a target is something inherent in our species, its helped us survive for thousands of years. Its a basic instinct thats honed in many ways throughout our lives, not just fighting. Now on the other hand, timing the perfect evasive movement, isn't. Thats not to say we're not built in with survival skills and that timing isn't one of them, but how that relates to the slip and weave, or evasive footwork, are more complex skills than the basic tracking we hone on a daily basis.

That being said, I have a couple of important questions regarding your claim.
1.) Which WBC Champion? There are many across many weight classes, and I don't know of any current ones that are from Halifax except Tyson Cave, who is 13-1 and recently won a vacant WBC Continental Americas title recently, which is hardly a significant achievement at all so... :|

2.) Who is your boxing coach? Some boxers emphasize defense, but in general, its not like defensive boxers rule the divisions, thats not the case. Some boxers believe counter punching is the best, some believe pressure fighting is the best, some believe effective defense is the best, some believe being well rounded is the best, etc. etc. etc. - Your WBC Champion training coach might be slanted toward defense, but that doesn't mean hes right or even that the boxing world is on his side about it. I guess your boxing coach who trains a nobody titlist can talk to my boxing coach who's significantly trained an actual WBC title holder, an olympic silver medalist, and other pros. :D

4. I disagree, but that's okay. Takes more energy to punch than cover up. This is my experience. I can run all day (like the TKD folk) but I can't punch all day. Not even jab all day.

Its a simple mathematical equation. How much energy does it take for the human body to move your fist to someones face in a quick motion, versus how much it takes to move the entire body in a quick motion.

If you're just talking about slipping, well keep in mind there's only one safe direction to slip. Not much in the way of variety to keep the opponent guessing.

couch
03-24-2011, 06:57 AM
Huh? You said "Pak Sau is good. Not being there is much better."

Hardly sounds like offering it as another option, its an assertion that its a superior method.

To be honest, I love boxing and I love slipping and weaving, but against a jab I think its completely pointless to give up your position like that unless you're trying to play a mental game of some sort, or you haven't gotten used to their timing yet.

I don't know what to tell you here, to be honest. I've never had an issue hitting anyone with a jab, least of all "Experienced Tae Kwon Do" folk. Maybe work on your timing and targeting, spar a lot more, too.

No, it doesn't. A perfect, technically correct jab (in some trainers eyes) is one that utilizes hip and shoulder rotation, the forward momentum with the step, the corkscrew motion with the fist, etc.

But boxing isn't about perfect technique. And the jab can be used in other effective ways, without the step, hip and shoulder rotation, even without the corkscrew motion. These things can remove power and speed, but if you know your opponent is going to move their entire body each time you jab, you dictate the pace of the fight and make them waste energy by putting them on the defensive. Throw in a hard shot every now and then to keep them guessing, and you're golden.

You're twisting my words. I never said it was an easy target, I'm saying its easier to hit a moving target than it is to time an opponent's attack. Keep in mind that tracking a target is something inherent in our species, its helped us survive for thousands of years. Its a basic instinct thats honed in many ways throughout our lives, not just fighting. Now on the other hand, timing the perfect evasive movement, isn't. Thats not to say we're not built in with survival skills and that timing isn't one of them, but how that relates to the slip and weave, or evasive footwork, are more complex skills than the basic tracking we hone on a daily basis.

That being said, I have a couple of important questions regarding your claim.
1.) Which WBC Champion? There are many across many weight classes, and I don't know of any current ones that are from Halifax except Tyson Cave, who is 13-1 and recently won a vacant WBC Continental Americas title recently, which is hardly a significant achievement at all so... :|

2.) Who is your boxing coach? Some boxers emphasize defense, but in general, its not like defensive boxers rule the divisions, thats not the case. Some boxers believe counter punching is the best, some believe pressure fighting is the best, some believe effective defense is the best, some believe being well rounded is the best, etc. etc. etc. - Your WBC Champion training coach might be slanted toward defense, but that doesn't mean hes right or even that the boxing world is on his side about it. I guess your boxing coach who trains a nobody titlist can talk to my boxing coach who's significantly trained an actual WBC title holder, an olympic silver medalist, and other pros. :D

Its a simple mathematical equation. How much energy does it take for the human body to move your fist to someones face in a quick motion, versus how much it takes to move the entire body in a quick motion.

If you're just talking about slipping, well keep in mind there's only one safe direction to slip. Not much in the way of variety to keep the opponent guessing.

You've twisted my words and made personal attacks on my boxing coach.

We're done.

AdrianK
03-24-2011, 03:30 PM
You've twisted my words and made personal attacks on my boxing coach.

We're done.

Twisted your words? Perhaps you're simply not expressing yourself correctly. If I am twisting your words, I certainly don't mean to.

As far as making personal attacks on your boxing coach, calm down sir. I was poking fun, hence the emoticon. I think its more than a little silly that you "name dropped" to provide substance to your statement, I didn't say that your boxing coach doesn't know what hes talking about, only that if you're going to bring up accomplishments to provide substance to your point, there are people with better resumes who think differently. And hell, there are people with way better resumes than my trainer, who think differently too.

Boxing has a lot of debate and arguments. There's no "true jab" or "true defense", or whatnot, and you can't name drop a trainer to prove your point. Not only is it unverifiable, second-hand information, but its just silly.

Once again, I'm not making a personal attack on your trainer, my words might've been a little harsh but if you're going to claim WBC this and that, you should know what WBC titles are actually relevant and what are the equivalent of "Good job, maybe someday you'll be the real champ"...

SAAMAG
03-24-2011, 05:49 PM
But sir you forget that contrary to boxing and other fighting arts...WC has only ONE TRUE method. This forum has been arguing who's got that method for over a decade now.

That's where the ego's come from as well. For most, name dropping, lineage wars, and overly emphasized theory is where it's at in the CMA world.

Thats why many have gravitated towards more functional fighting methods devoid of those things--too much B.S associated with it otherwise.

KuntaoKid
03-24-2011, 10:00 PM
counter punch?