PDA

View Full Version : Palm heel strike. Use it?

David Jamieson
03-22-2011, 03:06 PM
My fellow martial artists.

Do you find yourself using palm heel strikes actively?

Do you rely more on sun fist power shots or do you mix it up hand form-wise
even with your fingerlesses on?

How much palm heel work do you do on the heavy bag if any?
Do you try to work it in with combos?

Do you find it leads the way for planting hooks?

Just askin...

goju
03-22-2011, 03:50 PM
i work them on the heavy bag regularly usually with the rear hand in place of the hook or cross

YouKnowWho
03-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Everytime that I had tea with my teacher when he lived in my house, he always used his palm heel to strike on the table surface. The palm heel is a very important strike in the Chinese wrestling. When you put your palm on your opponent's face "摀(Wu) - face covering" and smash your palm heel on his nose, besides he will have a lot of tear come out of his eyes, he won't be able to see whatever that you just did on his legs.

Punch.HeadButt
03-22-2011, 05:14 PM
My handwork in sparring/bag-work is typically a western boxing approach with certain exceptions. Most of those exceptions have to do with body shots. I do occasionally find myself using the palm heel on hook shots to the body (occasionally the head, though not in sparring). Other than that, if I'm sending out an open hand as a strike I'm doing it so I don't bring it back "empty".

SPJ
03-22-2011, 07:33 PM
My fellow martial artists.

Do you find yourself using palm heel strikes actively?

Do you rely more on sun fist power shots or do you mix it up hand form-wise
even with your fingerlesses on?

How much palm heel work do you do on the heavy bag if any?
Do you try to work it in with combos?

Do you find it leads the way for planting hooks?

Just askin...

1. if not done right, you may hurt your wrist easily.

so usually the fingers touch/contact the opponent first, then follow with heel palm, or ta zhang.

on the other hand, the whole open palm may be used to strike pi zhang.

both the palm side and back hand side may be used.

in tong bei, we have to strike with open palm (both sides) on a flour bag or bean bag to condition.

with heel palm one has to be careful about your own wrist.

2. you may go downward or side ways with heel palm

you may also go upward, to heel palm strike the opponent's chin. again for protecting of the wrist, in ba ji, we prefer upward wrist strike than upward heel palm strike to chin.

we may do a upward wrist strike and follow with a downward heel palm or open palm to the ribside, abdomen, or chest.

the first move is called black tiger rise, the second move is called black tiger stealing heart or tiger taming posture in ba ji.

-----

Iron_Eagle_76
03-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Had my guys working on these last night. I use palm also in place of a cross with the rear power hand. Also worked tiger claws with the palm hitting first and ripping. I do a three strike combination on the heavy bag that goes low, middle, high tiger tear strikes very similar to a left-right-left hook combination found in boxing.

I also like to hold a focus shield and have them do palm strikes to gauge the power they are generating. Of course, this goes for lots of other strikes, not just palm strikes.

Ben Gash
03-24-2011, 09:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBUJa7ndYL0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiGQIh-6Kdo
Bas has everything you need to know about palm strikes.

MasterKiller
03-24-2011, 11:05 AM
I use it all the time when I'm mounted. I palm heel the chin before I attempt an Upa escape.