PDA

View Full Version : Iron arm x-ray

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2011, 08:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u3Kj9npy74

Posted by Bawang on another thread, I though it wouldbe interesting to discuss without highjacking the "bridges of madison county" thread :D

This reminds me when I got my hand with Ip x-ray'd.

Syn7
03-23-2011, 08:31 AM
ok well just answser me here then bawaang...

bawang
03-23-2011, 08:38 AM
answer u about what
i am confuse

Syn7
03-23-2011, 08:39 AM
bone density vs bone dimension... did he get both? or just the latter? the pics dont show the former, just the latter...

Lucas
03-23-2011, 08:39 AM
he wants to know if its ok to date your mom.

Syn7
03-23-2011, 08:40 AM
he wants to know if its ok to date your mom.

yeah, she fine!!!!!!

bawang
03-23-2011, 08:42 AM
that master been doing iron arm for 20 years and uses speshul medicine. im guessing his bones are dense also

David Jamieson
03-23-2011, 08:43 AM
bone density vs bone dimension... did he get both? or just the latter? the pics dont show the former, just the latter...

you get both through this practice.

That guy is obviously an outlier of sorts or he has simply been doing it for a very long time.

Long and short, percussive/concussive striking or vibration of bone creates micro fractures. These fill in with new bone material and the bone gets denser and thicker with each heal.

Syn7
03-23-2011, 08:48 AM
no no DJ... i know THAT... i was asking bawaang if they were testing for both, or if they simply took an xray and marveled at the size difference... you see?

i learned that when i first broke my arm in 3rd grade and doc told me how it would heal stronger than it was before i broke it... i never forgot that... i know mine are more dense from bboyin' more than anything...

bawang
03-23-2011, 08:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_51IrV6q2tc

im guessing pretty dense

Syn7
03-23-2011, 08:54 AM
omg.... :confused: of course its dense...

that wasnt my question... this isnt rocket science guys...

DID HE TEST FOR BONE DENSITY IN THE VID? all i saw were xrays, but i didnt understand a word of what was said, so who knows what else they did there... im assuming you understand the words spoken on the vid???

i did have follow up questions, but at this point i dont even care anymore... that was like an hour ago when i first asked...

bawang
03-23-2011, 09:07 AM
noe it was not tested for dense im sorry man im crying pls forgive me

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2011, 09:48 AM
I am curious, did they compare arms? did he do Iron arm on both?

bawang
03-23-2011, 09:57 AM
he trains both arms and in the youtube video he broke those metal sticks with both arms.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Ah, yes.
Way cool.
So it seems that, like Dj mentioned and we have discussed before, the biological and anatomical changes from "iron limb" work is the increased density of the bone and the surrounding tissue.

bawang
03-23-2011, 10:13 AM
i think the medicine plays a big part.

my hands only started getting heavy when i started using the speshul medicine.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2011, 10:15 AM
i think the medicine plays a big part.

my hands only started getting heavy when i started using the speshul medicine.

Actually, and I think DJ will disgaree, I agree with you there.
I have done IP with and without medicine and I feel the difference.

Syn7
03-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Ah, yes.
Way cool.
So it seems that, like Dj mentioned and we have discussed before, the biological and anatomical changes from "iron limb" work is the increased density of the bone and the surrounding tissue.

not just density, tho... this guys bones have clearly gotten thicker as well as more dense...

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2011, 10:18 AM
not just density, tho... this guys bones have clearly gotten thicker as well as more dense...

Can they get thicker and NOT denser ???

Syn7
03-23-2011, 10:21 AM
noe it was not tested for dense im sorry man im crying pls forgive me

you are forgiven...

am i not merciful....???

Syn7
03-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Can they get thicker and NOT denser ???

i dunno, doubt it, well maybe, but they can get denser without getting bigger...

wenshu
03-23-2011, 10:32 AM
There have been a lot of studies on bone density in the dominant hand of tennis (racket sport) players.

Suggests a correlation between impact training and bone density.

Doesn't account for the soft tissue adaptations.

Comparison of the radius bone density between the right and left arms of female college badminton and soft-tennis players. (http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200109/000020010901A0106836.php)

Effect of long-term unilateral activity on bone mineral density of female junior tennis players. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9495526)

Bone Mineral Content and Density in Professional Tennis Players (http://www.springerlink.com/content/frrxxel68d5xrrju/)

Syn7
03-23-2011, 10:34 AM
hey, thanx for that... i'll read thru it, for sure... gracias...

bawang
03-23-2011, 10:34 AM
the secret is how to avoid the join and nerve damage aka "the shakes".
one time i ran out of medicine and trained for 2 weeks without it, used hot water hot tower wraps, hand started shaking, random fingers losing sense of feeling, started randomly seize up, felt some joint pain too.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2011, 10:35 AM
There have been a lot of studies on bone density in the dominant hand of tennis (racket sport) players.

Suggests a correlation between impact training and bone density.

Doesn't account for the soft tissue adaptations.

Comparison of the radius bone density between the right and left arms of female college badminton and soft-tennis players. (http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200109/000020010901A0106836.php)

Effect of long-term unilateral activity on bone mineral density of female junior tennis players. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9495526)

Bone Mineral Content and Density in Professional Tennis Players (http://www.springerlink.com/content/frrxxel68d5xrrju/)

Wolf's law I believe it is called...
They did the same in regards to the feet of runners from Kenya ( barefoot) and runners that run with shoes and it showed that the feet and leg bones of the barefoot runners were denser.
The study was not publicised because the study group was so small, but those were the results.

Syn7
03-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Wolf's law I believe it is called...
They did the same in regards to the feet of runners from Kenya ( barefoot) and runners that run with shoes and it showed that the feet and leg bones of the barefoot runners were denser.
The study was not publicised because the study group was so small, but those were the results.

so the shin is denser because of the impact from being barefoot rather than the cushioned impacts of the shoe runners... does it work all the way up to the top of ur spine, just from being barefoot???

i remember learning wolfes law... julius wolfe the surgeon, right? german guy, died over 100 years ago???

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2011, 10:47 AM
so the shin is denser because of the impact from being barefoot rather than the cushioned impacts of the shoe runners... does it work all the way up to the top of ur spine, just from being barefoot???

i remember learning wolfes law... julius wolfe the surgeon, right? german guy, died over 100 years ago???

I don't think they X-ray'd anything but the foot, shin and femur and I recall that the foot and shin showed marked differences, the foot more so, then the shin but the femur was not noticable.

Of course there was no direct comparison per individual, like in the Ip situation where one had is conditioned and the other isn't, or the tennis example.

Lucas
03-23-2011, 10:48 AM
same with the deformation in bone density and development of traditional english longbow men. from what ive read doing a full draw of an english longbow is equivelant of lifting a grown man with one arm above your head...thats why you have to start them at puberty to be able to draw one of those bows fully...those ****ers saved englands ass

because the bow is always drawn with the same side there is a noticable difference in the skeleton

wenshu
03-23-2011, 10:53 AM
di pao has a similar effect on the leg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_pFNEkA2ns&feature=feedlik

wenshu
03-23-2011, 11:13 AM
the secret is how to avoid the join and nerve damage aka "the shakes".
one time i ran out of medicine and trained for 2 weeks without it, used hot water hot tower wraps, hand started shaking, random fingers losing sense of feeling, started randomly seize up, felt some joint pain too.

I get the same thing from intensive grip strength training.

I don't train IP but I do an inordinate amount of grip training; COC, wrist axle, rope climbs, towel pull ups wrist push ups.

Mayhaps I should start applying yao after these sessions.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2011, 11:17 AM
I get the same thing from intensive grip strength training.

I don't train IP but I do an inordinate amount of grip training; COC, wrist axle, rope climbs, towel pull ups wrist push ups.

Mayhaps I should start applying yao after these sessions.

Wouldn't hurt, may even help.
Dale's stuff is top notch, so is plum dragon's.
I do the Heavy Gripers, I do the 100LBS, the 150lbs, the 200 and the 250 lbs, which I am almost closing, LOL !!
And by almost I mean, just over half closed !
LOL !
Sucks cause I have small hands :mad:

YouKnowWho
03-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Many years ago in Taipei, Taiwan, there was a school called 天斬门(Tien Zhan Men) that everybody used a wooden stick to hit on their own body. Oneday a guy walked into that school and started to use a iron rod to hit on his body. In no time he became famous in that school. I challenged that guy once in front of the public. We stood face to face and started to hit arm against arm. Blood started to jump out of both of our arms but nobody wanted to stop.

We all did something stupid when we were young. :D

Lucas
03-23-2011, 11:19 AM
well you know what they say if your hand is bigger than your face...

Lucas
03-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Many years ago in Taipei, Taiwan, there was a school called 天斬门(Tien Zhan Men) that everybody used a wooden stick to hit on their own body. Oneday a guy walked into that school and started to use a iron rod to hit on his body. In no time he became the big shop in that school. I challenged that guy once in front of the public. We stood face to face and started to hit arm against arm. Blood started to jump out of both of our arms but nobody wanted to stop.

We all did something stupid when we were young. :D

who stopp first or was it a draw?

YouKnowWho
03-23-2011, 11:22 AM
who stopp first or was it a draw?

It was a draw because neither I nor my opponent wanted to quit. Finally the audience forced us to stop. I have never seen my blood jump out of my skin that that. :o

Lucas
03-23-2011, 11:23 AM
nice. at least thats good for both of you, he could not stop or loose a lot of face lol and you made the challenge!

Lucas
03-23-2011, 11:30 AM
interesting stuff about the longbow men.

[My yeoman father] taught me how to draw, how to lay my body in my bow ... not to draw with strength of arms as divers other nations do ... I had my bows bought me according to my age and strength, as I increased in them, so my bows were made bigger and bigger. For men shall never shoot well unless they be brought up to it.
—Hugh Latimer.

the Englishman did not keep his left hand steady, and draw his bow with his right; but keeping his right at rest upon the nerve, he pressed the whole weight of his body into the horns of his bow. Hence probably arose the phrase "bending the bow," and the French of "drawing" one.
—W. Gilpin

wenshu
03-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Wouldn't hurt, may even help.
Dale's stuff is top notch, so is plum dragon's.
I do the Heavy Gripers, I do the 100LBS, the 150lbs, the 200 and the 250 lbs, which I am almost closing, LOL !!
And by almost I mean, just over half closed !
LOL !
Sucks cause I have small hands :mad:

http://ironmind-store.com/No2-Captains-of-Crush-Hand-Gripper/productinfo/1252/

I can almost close the #2 completely with my right hand for 2 or 3 reps.

I've got the 2.5 half way.

Interestingly, a great deal of training these heavy duty grippers is just building up the hand to withstand the force. At first they tear up calluses something fierce.

Do you find there is any carryover between grip strength and IP training?

I feel like training the heavy duty grippers definitely, at least peripherally, activate the bone density adaptations we have been discussing.

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2011, 11:48 AM
http://ironmind-store.com/No2-Captains-of-Crush-Hand-Gripper/productinfo/1252/

I can almost close the #2 completely with my right hand for 2 or 3 reps.

I've got the 2.5 half way.

Interestingly, a great deal of training these heavy duty grippers is just building up the hand to withstand the force. At first they tear up calluses something fierce.

Do you find there is any carryover between grip strength and IP training?

I feel like training the heavy duty grippers definitely, at least peripherally, activate the bone density adaptations we have been discussing.
I don't know how the Heavy Grippers translate into the COC gripers...
I have discovered that grip strength is incredibly genetic, some guys just have incredible grip, like the frying pan rollers or wrench benders.
But anyone can develop good grip.
I don't see any carryover into IP, not that I can notice anyways...