PDA

View Full Version : Buk Sing CLF vs. Boxer (short clip)

hskwarrior
03-23-2011, 08:30 AM
This is a clip of a Buk Sing guy who was challenged by a boxer who felt gung fu was for wussies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNOfuKLslfQ&feature=channel_video_title

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2011, 10:04 AM
No offense Frank, but to call that guy a boxer...well...
Still, challenge the bull and you get the horns, right?

hskwarrior
03-23-2011, 10:08 AM
hahaha. The guy was a boxer LOL. and he got the horns alright hahahaha

sanjuro_ronin
03-23-2011, 10:17 AM
hahaha. The guy was a boxer LOL. and he got the horns alright hahahaha

Well, he sucked bigtime, he had no later movement, no head movement, his guard was atrocious, his footwork horrific and he didn't know how to work the corners.
In short, he sucked the sweat of a dead man's balls.

hskwarrior
03-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Well, he sucked bigtime, he had no later movement, no head movement, his guard was atrocious, his footwork horrific and he didn't know how to work the corners.
In short, he sucked the sweat of a dead man's balls.

And I'm pretty positive that's not going to taste too well hahahahaha

Frost
03-23-2011, 03:20 PM
sorry but a 5 month novice boxer would look better than that so unless someone can post the guys boxing record im calling bull on that one, he couldnt even stand properly, it was as bad as some of the wing chun wrestler clips :eek:

JamesC
03-23-2011, 03:24 PM
He wasn't a boxer...

He did absolutely nothing that resembled boxing. I'm gonna call shenanigans on this one.

Violent Designs
03-23-2011, 04:16 PM
We should get Daniel here to tell his own story.

nospam
03-23-2011, 04:51 PM
I was at my kwoon training with a student when an old polish boxing coach swung by and watched a few of our 2 person drills. He interjected and suggested instead of throwing the right hand all the way back (gwa choi), we should shorten it and bring it back into guard immediately. He didn't like the long arm movement of the gwa sau because it took the arm out of the fight.

It spurned an interesting conversation about fighting philosophies. Now, I've fought many a kick boxer in my time but not a boxer. I often will imitate boxer techniques when engaged in 2 person drills to allow my student(s) the experience of other techniques. It is usually an eye-opener.

We emphasis good extension and solid fundamentals. These, in combination with Bak Hsing fighting philosophy, have provided many successful cross-style engagements. As I watch the video, I note good use of Bak Hsing fundamentals regardless of who the opponent was...that is what I take away. So many times all you see are CLF kickboxers. So good on ya bro!

nospam
:cool:

hskwarrior
03-23-2011, 05:26 PM
He wasn't a boxer...

He did absolutely nothing that resembled boxing. I'm gonna call shenanigans on this one

call it what you want. LOL.

Violent Designs
03-23-2011, 10:36 PM
call it what you want. LOL.

He sucked though. At least compared to Daniel (Buk Sing).

YouKnowWho
03-23-2011, 10:43 PM
He didn't like the long arm movement of the gwa sau because it took the arm out of the fight.

He may not know that after 2 big arms swing, a kick is coming underneath. That's one of my favor CLF combos. If your opponent comes in after your big arm swing, it will be perfect to give him a reverse head lock (guillotine) but that will be another story.

hskwarrior
03-23-2011, 10:50 PM
He sucked though. At least compared to Daniel (Buk Sing).

i never said he was good LOLOLOL

nospam
03-24-2011, 10:37 AM
YouKnowWho

I generally prefer to keep my feet on the ground, but I hear ya. The move we were practising was a little roll over (sui gwa) with the lead hand to clear the opponent's guard or to generally bridge, followed by a strike (preference being side palm) to the throat as we step in with the other hand. The gwa choi is thrown as we step in again. The boxing coach didn't like the way the lead arm swung back.

I used to throw gwa sau as a lead but way too much energy for nothing as a lead. Now, it's a nice counter mind you..even if you are stepping back a few.

nospam

Eric Olson
03-24-2011, 10:57 AM
He may not know that after 2 big arms swing, a kick is coming underneath. That's one of my favor CLF combos. If your opponent comes in after your big arm swing, it will be perfect to give him a reverse head lock (guillotine) but that will be another story.

Yeah, that's the whole key to CLF. If you take any move in isolation it's like "duh, I saw that comin'"

If you see it as part of a combination of powerful strikes it becomes much more formidable.

But in reality, that's how all kung fu operates...not one strike for one block, etc.

EO

BDBSK
03-24-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm Daniel, who trains Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut under Sifu Richard Leung (Leung Yumg Gung), and the one in the video. I have been training in M.A for over twenty years.

The guy is a Boxer, period. He trains at the local boxing gym. Doesn't mean he is good, but he trains as a boxer, end of story. Arguing whether he is good or not, that's another story. Regardless, I've fought plenty of Boxers, and trained in Western Boxing under Otis Grant. Boxers, like anyone else, come in all sorts of abilities. He wanted to spar, so I obliged.

My background is Kyokushinkai Karate under Roger Lessourd, who trained under Mas Oyama. Western Boxing under Otis Grant. Bakbakan Kali under Guro Ramon Villardo and Trankada Aldabon Kali under Guro Nonoy Gallano. Genbukan Ninpo Bugei and Kokusai Jujutsu under Sensei Larry Mitchell. Wado Kai Karate under Sensei Michael McCarthy. Wing Tsun under Sifu Carson Lau. I've also trained Submission Fighting under a plethora of different teachers. I'm also a private student with Ajahn Suchart in Muay Thai.

I have another video up there with me kicking a boxer in the leg.

I train at the Boxing gyms regularly and teach a variety of fighters from Thai to MMA. Cheers.

YouKnowWho
03-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Sometime ago, I saw an old man demonstrate TCMA on TV. He started from about 10 feet away from the TV man. The old man then moved in while swung his right back arm in big circles. The TV man thought the old man wanted to use his right back arm to knock on his head. While the old man moved closer to that TV man and the TV man paid all his attention on the old man's right back fist, the old man used his left leading hand to slightly touch the TV man's nose. The old man then said, "This is TCMA".

To me, the TCMA is just a "cheating game".

hskwarrior
03-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Dee'z NUTZZZZZ!!!!! welcome aboard brother. :D

BDBSK
03-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Also, in regards to whether or not he was good or not, or who could take him and who couldn't, it doesn't impress me. I'm the one who fought, and fights continually on a monthly basis, be it gong sau or sanda or mma or whatever. More people should be posting their fights and less people commenting on whether or not the opponent is good.

There were no kicks allowed in the short fight.

hskwarrior
03-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Also, in regards to whether or not he was good or not, or who could take him and who couldn't, it doesn't impress me. I'm the one who fought, and fights continually on a monthly basis, be it gong sau or sanda or mma or whatever. More people should be posting their fights and less people commenting on whether or not the opponent is good.

Dee'z nutz, don't let these knuckle heads draw you in bro. its a nutty world here.

BDBSK
03-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks Frank. Sitting here with a bottle of dit dat jow and a makiwara board haha. Never saw this forum before. Looks good. Lots of good people on it.

hskwarrior
03-24-2011, 11:16 AM
some will be friendly, othes are not so friendly. check you private messages bro.

sanjuro_ronin
03-24-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm Daniel, who trains Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut under Sifu Richard Leung (Leung Yumg Gung), and the one in the video.

The guy is a Boxer, period. He trains at the local boxing gym. Doesn't mean he is good, but he trains as a boxer, end of story. Arguing whether he is good or not, that's another story. Regardless, I've fought plenty of Boxers, and trained in Western Boxing under Otis Grant. Boxers, like anyone else, come in all sorts of abilities. He wanted to spar, so I obliged.

My background is Kyokushinkai Karate under Roger Lessourd, who trained under Mas Oyama. Western Boxing under Otis Grant. Bakbakan Kali under Guro Ramon Villardo and Trankada Aldabon Kali under Guro Nonoy Gallano. Genbukan Ninpo Bugei and Kokusai Jujutsu under Sensei Larry Mitchell. Wado Kai Karate under Sensei Michael McCarthy. Wing Tsun under Sifu Carson Lau. I've also trained Submission Fighting under a plethora of different teachers.

I have another video up there with me kicking a boxer in the leg.

I train at the Boxing gyms regularly and teach a variety of fighters from Thai to MMA. Cheers.

Nice lineage, that and a buck won't even get you a coffee :)
Fact is he sucked at boxing and if he was a CLF guy YOU would be the first, as would Frank, to say that he wasn't very experienced.

How many years of CLF do you have under your belt? how many years of MA training? seems like a lot.
How long has that kid been boxing?

BDBSK
03-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Don't know how long he has been boxing. I don't ask and I don't care. If someone wants to spar, I will oblige. Period. I make no claims of him being a professional boxer, but boxing he does study. You think I sit down for tea and biscuits with my opponent after? Don't know his experience, just know he's a regular. I've been training for over 20 years in M.A.

hskwarrior
03-24-2011, 11:29 AM
I can't say much about his boxing skills as i haven't seen them. But, it's clear BDBS was a little more than what he was expecting. Wannabe boxer, amateur...who knows.....he wasn't ready.

sanjuro_ronin
03-24-2011, 11:34 AM
I agree that Daniel clearly dominated him and handed him his ass on a platter, with a side of gumbo.
I also loved actually seeing some CLF in this fight, a pleasant change from when we see kung fu from a style NOT looking like that style at all.

*looks at those WC people and flings booger at them*

BDBSK
03-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey Sanjuro,

Where in Ontario are you? I'm in Toronto, Etobicoke.

hskwarrior
03-24-2011, 11:36 AM
I agree that Daniel clearly dominated him and handed him his ass on a platter, with a side of gumbo.

I also loved actually seeing some CLF in this fight, a pleasant change from when we see kung fu from a style NOT looking like that style at all.

Hey brother, don't sleep on daniel. there's more to him than you know. all good things.

and yeah, i agree. I love saying hey, he's using CLF against that guy. see, that guy fell for all daniel went to give him....BUK SING style!

sanjuro_ronin
03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Hey Sanjuro,

Where in Ontario are you? I'm in Toronto, Etobicoke.

Brampton :)

BDBSK
03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Well I agree with you both, it's nice to see some CLF, or Wing Tsun, or Hung Gar in any Gung Fu fight. Sanda ends up looking mostly as kickboxing with throws. The gloves definately change the game. In fact, I specifically requested to spar with the boxer without gloves. In that regard, it was also very much in my favor.

BDBSK
03-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Brampton! Nice! Maybe we'll meet up some time for lunch. I'm in the area every so often for business. Just found a wicked BBQ place there...its BBQ but takeout...mmm...awesoma powa~!

sanjuro_ronin
03-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Brampton! Nice! Maybe we'll meet up some time for lunch. I'm in the area every so often for business. Just found a wicked BBQ place there...its BBQ but takeout...mmm...awesoma powa~!

If it is the Portugues place called Lisbon with the best BBQ chicken in the GTA, then you sir, are on my "dude" list !
LOL !

BDBSK
03-24-2011, 11:44 AM
YAY BUDDIES! :p

All things can be bridged with food ahhaha. Ok I have to head to class but when the snow melts I'll see ya around!

hskwarrior
03-24-2011, 11:46 AM
awwww how nice. you canadians are a wierd breed hahahaha

sanjuro_ronin
03-24-2011, 11:46 AM
YAY BUDDIES! :p

All things can be bridged with food ahhaha. Ok I have to head to class but when the snow melts I'll see ya around!

Sweet !
Where is your gym in Etobicoke?

Violent Designs
03-24-2011, 11:47 AM
no h0mo.....

sanjuro_ronin
03-24-2011, 11:48 AM
awwww how nice. you canadians are a wierd breed hahahaha

Ah dude, good BBQ chicken is the great harmonizer !
Besides, the only issue I had was that this boxer was NO real Challenge, that's all.

hskwarrior
03-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Ah dude, good BBQ chicken is the great harmonizer !
Besides, the only issue I had was that this boxer was NO real Challenge, that's all.

we all concur on that one! :D

Do you guys like Tritip?

Lucas
03-24-2011, 12:03 PM
nice. he definately was overwhelmed. do you know if this is the first time he has ever sparred against someone that is not a boxer?

BDBSK
03-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Sifu Leung is up in Richmond Hill. He studied under Master Lai Chou, who studied with the founder of Buk Sing.

Yes I think this was his first time fighting someone who was not a Boxer.

Tritip? Don't know what that is Frank.

hskwarrior
03-24-2011, 01:26 PM
you got to try some Tri Tip......awesomely good.

Violent Designs
03-24-2011, 01:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip

Frost
03-24-2011, 01:47 PM
nice. he definately was overwhelmed. do you know if this is the first time he has ever sparred against someone that is not a boxer?

it looked like his first time sparring hard with anyone to be honest and looked totally unused to taking any form of contact (which is one thing a boxer does not have a problem with)

On a side note no one was diminishing the CLF guys performance, what we were saying is that that guy did not look anything like a boxer in action as any of us with boxing expereince recognise it.........but it seems he train's at a boxing gym and wanted to spar a kung fu guy so that takes nothing away from him or the CLF guys performance

BDBSK
03-31-2011, 09:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_reh-a53Kyw&feature=channel_video_title

The gentleman I kick in the leg in this video was a Boxer as well. One leg kick softened him up considerably.

I boxed for several years under former WBO champion Otis Grant. I have a lot of respect for boxers, but like anyone else, they come in all talents and abilities. Regardless, 15 seconds of video is never enough to judge someone's abilities. Ive seen poor fighters on tape, such as if I'm studying one for an upcoming fight, who are tremendously strong in person.

Cheers.:)

David Jamieson
04-04-2011, 07:02 AM
The kid in white hasn't boxed a day in his life. wtf?

come on guys that was bull****.

may as well say he's a wrestler or some other crap.
It's clear he ain't nothing but a target for the kung fu player. :rolleyes:

hskwarrior
04-04-2011, 07:07 AM
The kid in white hasn't boxed a day in his life. wtf?

come on guys that was bull****.

may as well say he's a wrestler or some other crap.
It's clear he ain't nothing but a target for the kung fu player.

I'm really amazed at the responses by some of you guys!!!!

David Jamieson
04-04-2011, 07:24 AM
I'm really amazed at the responses by some of you guys!!!!

why? is the clip a joke we weren't supposed to take seriously?

In that case, ok. lol :p

But if it was serious...well, that kid is NO boxer. Period. Why sell him as such. I know 14 year old juvenile boxers that would beat the guy in a white shirt down with the moves he has. lol

hskwarrior
04-04-2011, 07:39 AM
But if it was serious...well, that kid is NO boxer. Period. Why sell him as such. I know 14 year old juvenile boxers that would beat the guy in a white shirt down with the moves he has. lol

So for the guy to be fairly called a BOXER he has to be a seasoned professional? I don't recall anyone saying anywhere that the boxer was golden gloves or any type of champion.

However, if the guy in the ring only studies boxing...doesn't that make him a boxer? I mean it was obviously his chosen sport.

again, no one said the guy was of any type of high caliber, just that he was a boxer.....skilled or not, the method he chose to train was boxing.....sucky or not.

BDBSK
04-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Hey Dave, where in Canada are you from? I'm in Toronto.

Look, in case you didnt read the thread. I was asked by this guy to spar at a boxing gym. He boxes there.

Period. So I put it up. Didn't write he was an amazing boxer or anything.

Incidentally, I was at the gym the other day and watched him box in the ring, and he's actually quite good. I think the no gloves, and the chat we had before kinda threw him off a bit.

Don't give me flak because I fought someone who asked to be fought. If you came around me and asked the same thing, I'd oblige and spar you as well. You're also making massive judgments on an edited video. I just put it these parts which had some more classical elements of BSCLF in it.

Cheers. Also, just chatting with Kin Sze here, formerly from Hong Luck, he seems to have heard of your name long ago. Did you have a school at some point here?

hskwarrior
04-04-2011, 07:50 AM

I mean REALLY! Tell someone "hey, i sparred a boxer today" or "hey, i sparred a grappler today" and because the boxer, grappler, kung fu guy is not the status of GSP, bas rutten, or mike tyson these maniacs of this forum will put the skill set down of anyone who is not a FAMOUS fighter.

BDBSK
04-04-2011, 08:02 AM
It only bothers me so much. With over two decades of training under my belt, and with both amateur and prof. fights under my belt, I can decipher myself who is a talented opponent, versus who is not. Then again, just last week like I was telling you Frank, I fought a National Thai Boxing champion, and he came across as bad. So fighters can be good but also have bad days.

Regardless, it's a video of me sparring a guy at a boxing gym who told me Gung Fu wasn't effective...I don't see the problem with the video, at all, or how I dealt with it.

Ps, speaking of Bas Rutten, I got to train with him several times and I put up a small video of some of his work at the gym.

hskwarrior
04-04-2011, 08:04 AM
It only bothers me so much. With over two decades of training under my belt, and with both amateur and prof. fights under my belt, I can decipher myself who is a talented opponent, versus who is not. Then again, just last week like I was telling you Frank, I fought a National Thai Boxing champion, and he came across as bad. So fighters can be good but also have bad days.

Regardless, it's a video of me sparring a guy at a boxing gym who told me Gung Fu wasn't effective...I don't see the problem with the video, at all, or how I dealt with it.

yup yup! :D

David Jamieson
04-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Hey Dave, where in Canada are you from? I'm in Toronto.

Look, in case you didnt read the thread. I was asked by this guy to spar at a boxing gym. He boxes there.

Incidentally, I was at the gym the other day and watched him box in the ring, and he's actually quite good. I think the no gloves, and the chat we had before kinda threw him off a bit.

Don't give me flak because I fought someone who asked to be fought. If you came around me and asked the same thing, I'd oblige and spar you as well. You're also making massive judgments on an edited video. I just put it these parts which had some more classical elements of BSCLF in it.

Cheers. Also, just chatting with Kin Sze here, formerly from Hong Luck, he seems to know you. Did you have a school at some point here?

Cool! I'm close by. I live up in Markham!

I was commenting based on what the guy did when confronted with the attacks.
He had no footwork, no covering and couldn't get out of the way of a linear attack.

So, no, he doesn't need to be pro, but... I think that dude was pretty fresh to it.
So, maybe the no gloves thing kind of freaked him out a bit? I dunno, but his movement was contrary to what a boxer learns.

I don't think I'm giving anyone flak, I'm just saying, that guy is not exactly an example of what I would say is boxing. But good for you for educating him I guess. Clearly he wasn't skilled enough at boxing to be issuing challenges.

If I'm making massive judgments based on an edited video, then it would be just as fair to say you're making massive assumptions with the very same video right?

Kin Sze... not sure. Maybe from a forum? Been a while since made a trip down town. Rings a bell, just not that loud. :)

I train with another guy. We do privates only no open club.
I ran an open one before out of my home, but as you may know, committed people to ANYTHING are hard to come by. So, I switched to private sessions only and that has been a lot better. You don't get hunt and peck types or asked to babysit brats and so on. lol

nospam
04-04-2011, 02:15 PM
So, I switched to private sessions only and that has been a lot better. You don't get hunt and peck types or asked to babysit brats and so on. lol

Amen.

Yo, BDBSK..

You said you sparred with some Bak Sing players from Oz. Who were they and I'd like to hear more on this. Message me if you prefer.

Everyone else..

Regardless of the skill of the opponent, I once again point out BDBSK sparred with CLF style. I am sure his teacher has seen the footage and they've spoken about the friendly match in terms of learning and progressing. When I was a young BSCLF lad in my teens and we fought everyone and any style/kwoon that would put up and put them little leather bag gloves on...we sat after wards and LEARNED from the experience. This is what ALL MAtists should be doing. It is no less than what any BSCLF kwoon will do. Booyah!

P.S> I fought a TKD black belt who was part of the Canadian TKD team for international competition and he sucked! I was a teenager, he a young adult. Apparently they didn't train aggressiveness and he wasn't use to getting chapped in the neck and run out of the ring.

nospam

Siu Lum Fighter
04-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Actually, I don't think the boxer is as bad as everyone's making him out to be. People don't seem to be taking into account that this is 32 seconds of a much longer fight. The exchange that starts around 10 seconds seems to show the boxer briefly holding his own. Now, I'm definitely not saying that he's as good as BDBSK, just not as sucky as everyone keeps saying.

I also feel that the wide arcing arm movements could be dealt with more easily by someone who's familiar with that style. If you can protect against leg kicks, I've found that a simultaneous upper block and counter punch is an effective counter to this (like pao chuan in Hsing I). The boxer in the video seemed to be too slow to deal with this.

BSCLF is related to my style (Buk Siu Lum) so I'm only saying this as someone who's experimented with these same sorts of techniques. Against more experienced MA'ists I've found that fighting in a more compact way is usually more effective. I've found the wide arm movements can work as a sort of "trick" because people don't usually see this sort of thing and they usually don't expect the rapid follow up technique that's headed their way, but it seems to me that a skilled fighter who uses, let's say, Hsing Yi or some other more compact style can more effectively come in and start peppering you with punches and kicks while one of your arms is out of the picture.

Violent Designs
04-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Actually, I don't think the boxer is as bad as everyone's making him out to be. People don't seem to be taking into account that this is 32 seconds of a much longer fight. The exchange that starts around 10 seconds seems to show the boxer briefly holding his own. Now, I'm definitely not saying that he's as good as BDBSK, just not as sucky as everyone keeps saying.

I also feel that the wide arcing arm movements could be dealt with more easily by someone who's familiar with that style. If you can protect against leg kicks, I've found that a simultaneous upper block and counter punch is an effective counter to this (like pao chuan in Hsing I). The boxer in the video seemed to be too slow to deal with this.

BSCLF is related to my style (Buk Siu Lum) so I'm only saying this as someone who's experimented with these same sorts of techniques. Against more experienced MA'ists I've found that fighting in a more compact way is usually more effective. I've found the wide arm movements can work as a sort of "trick" because people don't usually see this sort of thing and they usually don't expect the rapid follow up technique that's headed their way, but it seems to me that a skilled fighter who uses, let's say, Hsing Yi or some other more compact style can more effectively come in and start peppering you with punches and kicks while one of your arms is out of the picture.

In Buk Sing you don't hit at the end of your extension (although you sure can if it comes to it).

The optimal is the middle range and then keep penetrating.

You're acting as if Buk Sing is all long bridge hands.

We have many, many compressed techniques.

hskwarrior
04-04-2011, 05:20 PM
In Buk Sing you don't hit at the end of your extension (although you sure can if it comes to it).

The optimal is the middle range and then keep penetrating.

You're acting as if Buk Sing is all long bridge hands.

We have many, many compressed techniques.

Many people don't realize that we have very up close and personal stuff cause they see the big swinging strikes more than the others.

but if you are trying to keep a huge distance you can strike at the full extension but it won't be as powerful as if you were up close.

Violent Designs
04-04-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't want to speak for everyone. I remember K-no talking a long time ago about how he likes to play his Buk Sing at range. I can respect that.

The way I've been taught is that middle range is optimal. Short range reduces some of your initial inertia. Long range reduces the depth of your penetration (upon impact). But a fight is pretty chaotic so if things aren't going your way, you might not get to pick and choose.

But our techniques (all CLF) are pretty versatile. That is the nice thing IMHO. If I have to play it compressed or hit at the end of my extension then so be it. It might not be at that "critical hit" zone, but it's still gonna hurt. 3-4 compressed Leen Wan Charp will be enough to finish a fight (if you hit them).

Siu Lum Fighter
04-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Don't get me wrong, I know BSCLF can be extremely effective at any range. The gwa choi is done exactly the way we do it in Bak Siu Lum. I also think we use the same gwa sau movements in some of the forms and fighting sets at our school. It's cool to see someone actually using that stuff in a match. It's a truly traditional way of fighting you never see.

I'm just saying it's usually not something I use when I'm in a real fight. I guess it's because I'm a little paranoid about getting hit in the face so I keep that guard up as much as I can.

Frost
04-05-2011, 05:07 AM
Cool! I'm close by. I live up in Markham!

I was commenting based on what the guy did when confronted with the attacks.
He had no footwork, no covering and couldn't get out of the way of a linear attack.

So, no, he doesn't need to be pro, but... I think that dude was pretty fresh to it.
So, maybe the no gloves thing kind of freaked him out a bit? I dunno, but his movement was contrary to what a boxer learns.

I don't think I'm giving anyone flak, I'm just saying, that guy is not exactly an example of what I would say is boxing. But good for you for educating him I guess. Clearly he wasn't skilled enough at boxing to be issuing challenges.

If I'm making massive judgments based on an edited video, then it would be just as fair to say you're making massive assumptions with the very same video right?

Kin Sze... not sure. Maybe from a forum? Been a while since made a trip down town. Rings a bell, just not that loud. :)

I train with another guy. We do privates only no open club.
I ran an open one before out of my home, but as you may know, committed people to ANYTHING are hard to come by. So, I switched to private sessions only and that has been a lot better. You don't get hunt and peck types or asked to babysit brats and so on. lol

oh lord here we go, i actually agree with this help me!

And no one is taking anything away fro either guy, but its like calling someone a grappler who doenst have a base or move like he has trained at all

to me a boxer is someone who has boxed, not just trained at a gym but actually boxed, the guy doesnt move like he has boxed, no big deal and to be fair its not BDBSK who posted it or making a big deal of it

Brule
04-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Don't misinterpret my question as disrespect, just curious. Why post this? I mean, the one guy obviously didn't bring anything to the table and it didn't seem like much of a challenge. It doesn't seem this proves anything or helps anyone.

Fei Ling Skool
04-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Don't misinterpret my question as disrespect, just curious. Why post this? I mean, the one guy obviously didn't bring anything to the table and it didn't seem like much of a challenge. It doesn't seem this proves anything or helps anyone.

Don't take my response as disrespect, but did you read any of the posts? :confused:

your post is reflected in your post....

It doesn't seem this proves anything or helps anyone

hskwarrior
04-05-2011, 02:56 PM

No one said anything about PROVING or HELPING anyone or anything. He wanted to post himself going against a guy who said he was a boxer and he didn't believe in what gung fu could do.

to THAT guy, he knows now what gung fu can do to HIM. that's all.

Violent Designs
04-05-2011, 02:57 PM
God **** people are making a fuss out of nothing.

For everyone's information Daniel has brief footage of some of his full-contact fights too in the videos he has uploaded.

Brule
04-05-2011, 03:16 PM
who's making a fuss? it's a friggin discussion board and i was just wondering the point of making a video such as this and posting it on the net. You CLF guys sometimes need to chill out .

hskwarrior
04-05-2011, 03:20 PM
who's making a fuss? it's a friggin discussion board and i was just wondering the point of making a video such as this and posting it on the net. You CLF guys sometimes need to chill out

what was wrong with it? was it because the guy didn't outshine the gung fu guy? is that why you asked why post it? i see two men in the ring both of different fighting backgrounds squaring off in the ring. the guy could have been a novice...who knows....but he got what he asked for. plan and simple. and the CLF guy used recognizable CLF against him....

and you still ask why post it? have you seen some of the other garbage out there?

Jimbo
04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the vid, either. The gentleman using CLF looked good. Of course, the other guy did not look good...okay, he looked pretty bad, actually. But maybe he is better than he came across on the vid. But if he was the guy who made the challenge, as mentioned, he got what he asked for.

Maybe it was the novelty factor that threw him off. One of the pro boxers (was his name Art Jimmerson??) who entered one of the early UFCs looked *really* bad against Gracie, but I later saw the same guy on a boxing show. And though he lost that fight, too, he looked infinitely better than he did in his one showing in the UFC.

If the vid was of a good boxer beating up a crappy kung fu guy, I could imagine some people saying, "See? Told ya so. The boxer owned that kung fu guy."

Violent Designs
04-05-2011, 05:32 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the vid, either. The gentleman using CLF looked good. Of course, the other guy did not look good...okay, he looked pretty bad, actually. But maybe he is better than he came across on the vid. But if he was the guy who made the challenge, as mentioned, he got what he asked for.

Maybe it was the novelty factor that threw him off. One of the pro boxers (was his name Art Jimmerson??) who entered one of the early UFCs looked *really* bad against Gracie, but I later saw the same guy on a boxing show. And though he lost that fight, too, he looked infinitely better than he did in his one showing in the UFC.

If the vid was of a good boxer beating up a crappy kung fu guy, I could imagine some people saying, "See? Told ya so. The boxer owned that kung fu guy."

Everyone including Buk Sing ppl admitted that the boxer sucked balls. That wasn't the point of the video, LOL.

Jimbo
04-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Well then, at least the "boxer" got embarrassed and made some fun practice for the CLF guy.

deeperthantao
04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEyEoLBQt0&feature=channel_video_title

hskwarrior
04-06-2011, 01:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEyEoLBQt0&feature=channel_video_title

First few seconds made me say WTF IS THAT WC GUY DOING?

hskwarrior
04-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Here i think this is better.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJVBnV6eGiw

at 2;37 you see Buk Sing master Shane Lacey playing with a boxer

Dr.Rob
04-06-2011, 07:52 PM
That was Nioce.

I have not seen anything recent from him?

hskwarrior
04-06-2011, 08:08 PM
which one?

Dr.Rob
04-06-2011, 08:15 PM
the younger? Shane

I have seen him in a few magazines and some posts on youtube. But nothing of late?

hskwarrior
04-06-2011, 08:23 PM
yeah married life and kids and the school.....he seems to be settling down. he was doing some movies too for a bit

Yum Cha
04-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Hey Frank, some of those look like they might have come from Melbourne, 80's?

Wood floors, 8oz gloves, mouthguard and cup.

hskwarrior
04-11-2011, 05:12 PM
some of them are from australia

lance
04-28-2011, 12:50 AM
This is a clip of a Buk Sing guy who was challenged by a boxer who felt gung fu was for wussies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNOfuKLslfQ&feature=channel_video_title

When I tried to view the short clip , they removed it , but I would think that the CLF would beat the boxer . CLF has 2 different branches the hung sing and the mentioned by hskwarrior .

hskwarrior , are you learning from Sifu Shane Lacy ? He can do his CLF very good , I bet he ' s really that good ?

Lance

hskwarrior
04-28-2011, 06:36 AM
When I tried to view the short clip , they removed it , but I would think that the CLF would beat the boxer . CLF has 2 different branches the hung sing and the mentioned by hskwarrior .

hskwarrior , are you learning from Sifu Shane Lacy ? He can do his CLF very good , I bet he ' s really that good ?

Yo, stick to Wing Chun man.......

David Jamieson
04-28-2011, 07:18 AM

Lance

the only way to determine that is to take the best clf has to offer and put it on a matt with the best that boxing has to offer.
then we will see what dominates what.

the advantage clf would have is kicks. I do not agree in any way shape or form that western boxing in anyway has inferior strikes whatsoever. I believe western boxing strikes are very well developed, have a lot of power and are the most direct ways of landing a punch devised by humans to date.

Yes, the hands of boxing are indeed very good and it would take a very good kung fu guy to deal with them. If you don't believe me, go step out to a boxing gym.

style vs style is BS.