PDA

View Full Version : Twittering, Blogging, Posting in Kung Fu Forums

SPJ
03-25-2011, 07:05 AM
In 1960s, if you are interested in learning CMA. need to find a teacher by word of mouth or introduction or browsing thru books and magazines--

In 1970s, you may look for some film clips.

In 1980s, you may look for VHS or Beta.

In 1990s, you may search the internet for school sites, some short clips and VCD's.

In 2000, you may search kung fu forums.

In 2005, you may search youtube videos.

In 2007, you may search twittering--

---

on line info and building a network of info and people that shares CMA interests

ins and outs.

comments.

:)

SPJ
03-25-2011, 07:08 AM
today, if you are interested in CMA,

you may browse books, magazines, search info in kungfu forums, google websites, search youtube videos, search blogs and twitters.

blog is weblog of info

twitters are short message textings.

---

wow.

:cool:

David Jamieson
03-25-2011, 07:09 AM
In 1960s, if you are interested in learning CMA. need to find a teacher by word of mouth or introduction or browsing thru books and magazines--

In 1980s, you may look for VHS or Beta.

In 1990s, you may search the internet for school sites, some short clips and VCD's.

In 2000, you may search kung fu forums.

In 2005, you may search youtube videos.

In 2007, you may search twittering--

---

on line info and building a network of info and people that shares CMA interests

ins and outs.

comments.

No matter the era or time or technology.

A good teacher is difficult to find in a sea of mediocrity.

It is the same now as then, you just have MORE snow to shovel to get to the cabin door.

this is because no matter what, "doing" is required more than anything else to learn your Kung Fu.

These technologies offer the veil of falseness in that people fail to "do" teh work and intellectualize a visceral thing.

Which of course leads to the massive amounts of keyboard ninja grandmasters that we have today.

Good Kung Fu instruction is STILL very hard to find in most areas.

C'est la vie mon ami.

I personally see it in one aspect as a worthwhile pursuit because of that.

SPJ
03-25-2011, 07:11 AM
In order to build online kung fu communities and info data

we should start blogging and twittering in addition to posting in forums.

so that young generation may look for more info regarding training and practicing CMA.

ya, ya, all take time.

pro and con

comments.

SPJ
03-25-2011, 07:13 AM
we may also join groups on facebook, or my space.

post away in forums

and start twitters and blogs.

etc etc.

:D

David Jamieson
03-25-2011, 07:18 AM
Don't we already do that?

SPJ
03-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Good Kung Fu instruction is STILL very hard to find in most areas.

C'est la vie mon ami.

I personally see it in one aspect as a worthwhile pursuit because of that.

yes. nothing takes place of actual practice and learning from a teacher directly.

SPJ
03-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Don't we already do that?

yes.

http://wangshuchin.blogspot.com/

this is a cool example of a blog. google blog it.

another aspect is RSS feed and reader.

if your website or blog has updates, the subscribers got feed on their desktop.

cool.

SPJ
03-25-2011, 07:31 AM
I did a lot of chat and instant messages with friends.

they just disappear.

some are very good discussions. and I also have many repeated questions.

such as what do you think about ming jin, an jin, and hua jin.

--

I also lost a lot of good links on a free hosting site.

that sort of pushed me to start twitters and blogs, b/c they are open and searchable.

--

:D

SPJ
03-25-2011, 07:35 AM
http://exerciseshare.blogspot.com/2011/03/teaching-grandmaster-shi-de-cheng.html

this is a blog with all the niceties.

SPJ
03-25-2011, 07:49 AM
yes.

another aspect is RSS feed and reader.

if your website or blog has updates, the subscribers got feed on their desktop.

cool.

you may also share whatever you are reading or subscriptions with friends.

GeneChing
03-25-2011, 09:26 AM
I like that analogy, DJ, but I probably wouldn't use 'snow' as the recipient of my shoveling. And instead of getting to the cabin, I'd be trying to get out of the cow pasture. But perhaps that's a difference between CAnada and CAlifornia. We have happy cows here. :p

I agree with you, but the contrapositive viewpoint must be voiced. At least now, there is snow to shovel. There's more information and resources available now than ever before. I remember when I first started writing articles for the martial arts. There was so little background research available that you could read everything in English quite easily. And that was only two decades ago. Now, there's so much available, you can do some genuine research. Granted, a lot of what is out there is derivative and repetitive - as you say, there's a lot of shoveling - but such is the nature of research in any established field.

I'm tremendously inspired by the amount of information available now via these new technologies. I'm overwhelmed too, by the amount of shoveling. Fortunately, I'm a good shoveler. The key to good shoveling is a strong horse stance. ;)

Iron_Eagle_76
03-25-2011, 10:51 AM
The key to good shoveling is a strong horse stance.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc22/jwideman/Girls/Vette_Babes.jpg

wenshu
03-25-2011, 10:55 AM
She looks more like she is about to add to the pile.

David Jamieson
03-25-2011, 11:46 AM
He said horse.

@ ~G

True enough. At least it has snowed. they say it's good for the crops and fallow fields. :)

mmmm analogies.

GeneChing
03-25-2011, 12:10 PM
How the heck is she keeping that bikini on? Suction? I've been staring at it and staring at it and won't stop until I figure it out....or go blind. :o

David Jamieson
03-25-2011, 01:21 PM
How the heck is she keeping that bikini on? Suction? I've been staring at it and staring at it and won't stop until I figure it out....or go blind. :o

staring with no hands is not kung fu...:p

Lucas
03-25-2011, 01:29 PM
they use a body adhesive for things like that, sometimes latex based....dont ask.

GeneChing
03-25-2011, 01:38 PM
I was thinking it was like that Shaolin qigong trick where you get a bowl to adhere to stomach by sucking in your qi.

Okay. Just kidding. But you must agree, that would have been hecka cool. Just imagine the applications for that kind of skill.

Lucas
03-25-2011, 01:42 PM
dude that would be rad lol. do you think she would let us line up and try to pull it off? :eek:

David Jamieson
03-25-2011, 01:44 PM
lol @ "suction" ...

nipple explanation with that?

Lucas
03-25-2011, 01:50 PM
haha i just noticed u said hecka again! isnt it supposed to be hella ? :p

jdhowland
03-25-2011, 02:12 PM
haha i just noticed u said hecka again! isnt it supposed to be hella ? :p

"Hecka" is an accepted euphemism for "hella" -- according to L.M. Boyd.

diego
03-26-2011, 11:25 PM

I'm curious what kind of films were out and how could the average joe buy them back in the 70's?. I've got Black Belt Magazines from the 80's with the VHS advertisements...:)

David Jamieson
03-27-2011, 05:54 AM
I'm curious what kind of films were out and how could the average joe buy them back in the 70's?. I've got Black Belt Magazines from the 80's with the VHS advertisements...:)

I think he means like movies and possibly 8mm demo clips that might have been around.

vhs didn't exist until the 80's. it was 1980 when the betamax came out and a couple of years after that vhs showed up.

prior to that, it was all films and projectors! lol

old tech will make a comeback. :)

SPJ
03-27-2011, 11:42 AM
yes. I was shown some 8 mm clips in high school kuo shu club.

1. I think people are actively seeking or searching info on internet

text, voice, and video info.

2. blogs are nice to post text, voice, video in one place or collect them.

3. readers are good to feed updates in one place.

we may subscribe and receive updates in one place.

text info, voice info, video info are provided

contents provided and contents viewed/comsumed.

4. tweets are short texts or messages.

again contents provided and consumed.

5. social network with email connect, facebook, my space etc are connecting people and share info and mesh with 4 things above.

SPJ
03-27-2011, 11:46 AM
we move beyond, "search and save as favorites"

we subscribe (with RSS) and follow (with tweets).

we receive active feeds of info (text, voice, video) with readers

---

YouKnowWho
03-27-2011, 04:09 PM
I think he means like movies and possibly 8mm demo clips that might have been around.

When the Modern Wushu just came out back in the 70th, I spent $500 to make a copy of the 1st Wushu demo film. I didn't know that Wushu was just 100% performance arts back then. I still remember that I had the 1st modern Wushu poster, "武術新花向陽紅(Wu Shu Xin Hua Xiang Yang Hone) - the Wushu new flower are open toward the red sun" during the culture revolution.

SPJ
03-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I was too young to understand what is going on with cultural revolution in China.

only in college in 1980s, I started to know more about it.

--

twittering or google buzzing, you type whatever short message. they are open to the public.

blogging is also open to the public.

on the other hand,

writing on the Wall (twittering) and Notes (blog) on face book.

they are private, only your friends to see them, you have more control.

but you lose connectivity to the public/audience.

----

GeneChing
03-28-2011, 11:43 AM
I've got Black Belt Magazines from the 80's with the VHS advertisements...:)
Son, I've GOT plenty of old VHS tapes. :o I don't have any 8mm films tho. That's before my time, like the Jurassic period, but I do remember watching them just prior to VHS coming out. It was like home movie stuff back then, pretty rare really. Most of that got converted to VHS, and hopefully subsequently to YouTube...

lkfmdc
03-28-2011, 01:48 PM
I bought one of the first VHS instructional videos, it was on Goju style karate, it was like $95. Now you can buy a VCD from China for $4 :mad:

David Jamieson
03-31-2011, 09:18 AM
Son, I've GOT plenty of old VHS tapes. :o I don't have any 8mm films tho. That's before my time, like the Jurassic period, but I do remember watching them just prior to VHS coming out. It was like home movie stuff back then, pretty rare really. Most of that got converted to VHS, and hopefully subsequently to YouTube...

What choo talking bout willis, you're the same age as me! You would have been a teenager, almost legal age when vhs first appeared.

Unless you didn't have one of those things. lol
My Grandad had 8mm home movie cam and projector. Colour too!
Cool stuff and old tech still works! that's the best part.

I have computers that are less than 5 yrs old that are fail.
I have a vhs from 1987 that still works fine! :eek:

GeneChing
03-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Some of my friends had them. In fact, there's a homemade ninja movie starring me as a teenager floating about the web. But as for 8mm film, some of my sihing had them and we would have kwoon get-togethers and they would be shown.

I feel ya about old tech. I have a cast-iron Royal typewriter that I used through my freshman year at college that still works fine. Since then, I've chewed through countless keyboards. Must be all that iron finger training I did as a youth. :o

David Jamieson
03-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Planned obsolescence has ruined design and functionality of a lot of consumer goods, especially technology.

That is the real underlying problem. Not a lot of people make quality products anymore across the line in all manufacturing industries.