PDA

View Full Version : International New Era Chinese Kungfu Competition

GeneChing
03-28-2011, 04:17 PM
I may move this down to the media forum later. It's like the return of K-Star (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=921687#post921687).

Can you be the next KUNGFU STAR? (http://www.starhub.com/promotions/whatsnew/kungfustar.html)

Singapore has 'gongfu talent' (http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20110328-270438.html)
Mon, Mar 28, 2011

http://news.asiaone.com/A1MEDIA/news/03Mar11/others/20110328.101628_gongfu.jpg
Above: Hong Kong martial-arts stars Dennis To (left) and Yuen Qiu (centre), along with former Chinese gymnast Liu Xuan, were the judges of the Singapore leg of the International New Era Chinese Kungfu Competition at Jurong Point yesterday.

By Joy Fang

WHILE Singapore's martial artists have the potential to become action mega-stars like Donnie Yen or Bruce Lee, they still need tonnes of practice, Hong Kong martial-arts stars Yuen Qiu and Dennis To said yesterday.

The duo - along with Chinese Olympic gymnast-turned- actress Liu Xuan, 31 - were in town last weekend to be the celebrity judges for the finals of the Singapore leg of the International New Era Chinese Kungfu Competition.

Organised by Hong Kong television station TVB, the inaugural event will also be held in countries such as Malaysia and the United States.

The winners of each leg will compete in the grand finals that will be held in Hong Kong in August or September.

"The contestants I saw during the semi-finals were better than I expected. I seldom come to Singapore, so I didn't know that there are so many young people here who can fight so well," said Yuen, 60.

"Their somersaults were excellent. I thought only China had martial artists," she added.

In fact, the judges were so spoilt for choice that they ended up choosing seven finalists out of the 12 semi-finalists instead of the required six, she said.

The sprightly lady is known for her memorable role as the scary Landlady in Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle (2004).

She was also a member of the Seven Little Fortunes troupe that trained under under the master of the China Opera School, the late Yu Jim-yuen, a Beijing opera star and gongfu grandmaster whose famous disciples include Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan.

Yuen's fellow judge, To, also felt that for Singaporeans to shine as action stars, they would need more experience in filming as well as more practice to hone their skills.

The 30-year-old starred as the younger eponymous character in last year's Ip Man: The Legend Is Born.

The rookie actor is no stranger to martial arts though. To is a trained Wing Chun practitioner and the grand-student of Ip Chun, Ip Man's real-life eldest son. He also won international martial-arts tournaments and is the youngest world champion from Hong Kong to win the World Kungfu Championship.

"Everyone has the potential to be the next action star," he said. "What's important is whether you have the opportunity to train in martial arts and to act, which can be rare.

"You need to know when to grab the opportunity when it comes."

The finals for the Singapore leg, held in Jurong Point Shopping Centre, culminated in the selection of seven finalists out of more than 100 applicants.

They were put through several segments to test their martial-arts performance as well as acting skills.

The judges were looking for someone who is skilled in gongfu, pleasant-looking, able to adapt to changing situations and is responsive when facing with his or her competitor, said To.

In the end, judges felt Mr Lee Tze Yuan, 20, embodied all these qualities. He came out on top yesterday.

Yuen has this piece of advice for budding martial artists who want to be the next action star: Don't try to imitate others and be the next Bruce Lee or Ip Man.

"Don't go the path of these famous people. They have their own characteristics. I feel that one should strive to create their own path," she said.

"Your name, and not someone else's, will be who you are."

The Singapore leg of the Interational New Era Chinese Kungfu Competition will air on April 22 on VV Drama (StarHub Ch 855) at 7pm.

pazman
03-28-2011, 09:00 PM
"Their somersaults were excellent. I thought only China had martial artists," she added.

Do-ho-ho.
Oh, you. :rolleyes:

David Jamieson
03-31-2011, 09:12 AM
somersaults?

that's what kids do down a hillside on a warm sunny day isn't it? :)

bawang
03-31-2011, 10:45 AM
the gay is strong with this one