PDA

View Full Version : Where Tae Kwondo came from

logic
09-06-2001, 11:27 PM
Tae Kwondo is derived from several martial arts,with the main influence being Tae kyon-Korean kick fighting.Tae means (to kick)or smash with the feet.kwon means(to intercept)and do means (the way of the art).The foundation of the art is to use the hands and feet to overcome your opponent
Tae Kwondo was originally developed in Korea in the 1950s. M.A. experts came together to combine their forms under a single fighting system.the inauguration took place in south Korea on April 9th,1955,with major General Choi Hong Hi,a 10th dan black belt,being credited as the founder of Tae Kwondo.BUT,it's roots stretch back almost 2,000 years when it was born from an art known as HWARANG DO, meaning (the way of the flowering manhood)

Honest Neutral Clarity

ShaolinTiger00
09-06-2001, 11:34 PM
My manhood hasn't been "flowered" since Jr. High.

" The reason that sportsmen such as boxers, and wrestlers have a higher success rate in self-defense situations over other martial artists is because they will fight in the same manner as they train." -Bruce Lee

SifuAbel
09-06-2001, 11:36 PM
This should be moved to the other related arts forum. Mods where are you?

Its dangerous to think you are immortal.
sifuabel@yahoo.com

logic
09-06-2001, 11:44 PM
I thought that ment men giving each other flowers

Sifu Abel,chell out man. :cool:

Honest Neutral Clarity

Dark Knight
09-07-2001, 12:01 AM
Why did TKD use Shotokan forms when it was first designed?

rogue
09-07-2001, 04:51 AM
I'd never believe most of the their lineages.

"BUT,it's roots stretch back almost 2,000 years when it was born from an art known as HWARANG DO, meaning (the way of the flowering manhood)"

One: There never was an art called Hwarang Do until Joo Bang Lee called his art that, even he admits that. Sorry but 2,000 year number is a myth.

Two: The reason TKD (Choi original version) uses shotokan forms is that it comes directly from shotokan. My teacher learned at one of the first dojangs Choi started outside of Korea, back then it wasn't a secret that TKD was Shotokan based and was even a source of pride. Even the ratio of hand techniques to foot techniques in the kata are the same. Chon Ji, Dan Gun, Do San, Won Ho and Yul Guk cover the same material as the Heians. Personally I like how Choi, or whomever, softened many Shotokan techniques. So in it's original form it's a Korean version of Shotokan.

Three: Which TKD? Choi original recipe(back through Funakoshi to Okinawa), ITF, modern(WTF, ATA etc) or Olympic(fantastic sport but no relation to the original Korean arts)?

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

logic
09-07-2001, 01:31 PM
HWARANG DO

Do I believe you,or do I believe a historian and a writer of several M.A. books.

HMMMMMMM

Honest Neutral Clarity

Stranger
09-07-2001, 04:04 PM
logic,

The hwarang existed in old times.
The art "Hwarang Do" was created by Joo Bang Lee less than 50 years ago.
There are many 'historians' who have written many books- they are not all right.
Check out the thread that we have been running on this board about Hwarang do and you'll see that we have researched numerous opinions on the web about this subject over the past month or so. We even have posts linked by the guy that helped write the fictitious history of HWD. We even have Lee's article linked when he mentions what the art was called and when he renamed it Hwarang do.

Hwarang do is newer than TKD (by that name at least)

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

rogue
09-07-2001, 04:39 PM
"Do I believe you,or do I believe a historian and a writer of several M.A. books?"

Logic,
Ask yourself this, what's in it for the historian? 80% of the histories of most martial arts are bunk, knock that number up 10 points for the Korean arts.

Hwarangdo, Hapkido, Kuk Sul, TSD & the various TKD are all good arts, some are great arts, but the Koreans have a nationalist ego problem.

To answer your question, believe only what you can verify as fact and question any information that you can't. And be skepticle of any information that flys in the face of common sense.

Stranger,
I'm thinking of picking up some of the Panther Hwarangdo tapes as soon as I get some excess cash.

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

logic
09-08-2001, 02:35 PM
Thats a good point.
I guess I should take others views into consideration.
thanks ;)

Honest Neutral Clarity

rogue
09-08-2001, 10:37 PM
Logic, since by your profile you don't take TKD or Shotokan or Hwarangdo or Hapkido how would you recognize what didn't make sense in Korean martial history?

PS
Should you question what I say? Darn tootin!

PPS,
I hope the swelling in your arms goes down. :D

Louis L'Amour