PDA

View Full Version : Beng Bu - Third Road

mooyingmantis
04-01-2011, 04:36 PM
While preparing for my upcoming seminar at the Great Lakes Kung Fu Tournament, I was reviewing some of my old notes on mantis combinations found within the Seven Star version of Beng Bu.

I came upon this old translation I had done and thought this might be of interest to some.

This is my translation of the third road of Beng Bu as listed in the Zhejiang Province Martial Method Fist Weapon Record. It is preserved in the book A Discourse on the History of Praying Mantis Boxing in China for the Last One Hundred Years by Hon-chiu Wong.

The book may be purchased here: http://www.plumpub.com/sales/chinese/chinbks_trad12PM.htm

As always, comments and corrections are welcome!

右 手 封 左 腿 躁
yòu shǒu fēng zuǒ tuǐ zào
Right Hand Seals, Left Leg Rashly

左 手 封 右 腿 躁
zuǒ shǒu fēng yòu tuǐ zào
Left Hand Seals, Right Leg Rashly

上 步 雙 捆
shàng bù shuāng kǔn
Advance Step, Double Bind

抹 眉 啄 眼
mǒ méi zhuó yǎn
Wipe Eyebrow, Peck Eye

磕 掌 直 肘
kē zhǎng zhí zhǒu
Tap Palm, Straight Elbow

圈 捶
quān chuí
Circle Strike

駛 星 挽 月
shǐ xīng wǎn yuè
Pilot Star, Draw Out Moon

插 掌
chā zhǎng
Piercing Palm

右 封 手 左 手 查
yòu fēng shǒu zuǒ shǒu chá
Right Seal Hand, Left Hand Grasp

左 封 手 右 手 查
zuǒ fēng shǒu yòu shǒu chá
Left Seal Hand, Right Hand Grasp

丁 臍 捶
dīng qí chuí
Prop Navel Strike

右 旋 風
yòu xuán fēng
Right Revolving Wind

Note:

The character 駛 shǐ (pilot) I believe is incorrect in the text. I suspect it was confused with a similar character (one horizontal stroke added) used in Cantonese which means "to turn quickly".

The character 查 chá is actually written with the radical 手 attached in front of it. I was able to find it in my Cantonese dictionary in that configuration, but not in my Mandarin dictionary, nor the online dictionary that I use.