PDA

View Full Version : hoping to find more FMA-arnis-escrima people here

Banjos_dad
04-01-2011, 09:55 PM
...This is where threads about Filipino Martial Arts would be, right?
I haven't been here in a long time, it seems odd that the oldest threads in this forum are from this year.

I live in Albuquerque, NM USA and my Modern Arnis guro is moving pretty far away. Anyone know anybody in town who teaches MA or something similar?
I have two options I am checking out but more than anything else I would love to find a Modern Arnis group to join. FMA folks seem to keep a much lower profile than say, karate or MMA groups :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance...

GeneChing
04-14-2011, 09:19 AM
It's a little challenging to search because of the diversity of styles. 'FMA' won't give you too much. You can also try 'filipino' as well as 'arnis', 'escrima' and 'kali'. I imagine there are other good search terms.

Got to plug MAM here - Filipino Arts Styles (http://www.martialartsmart.com/filipino-arts-styles.html).

sanjuro_ronin
04-14-2011, 09:44 AM
I have some experience in Pekiti-Tirsia, both more under the lacoste-inosanto system.
Both have been absorbed and modified to suit the way I fight.

There are a few others here too, Ten Tigers, I think Snow dog and some others.

lance
04-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I have some experience in Pekiti-Tirsia, both more under the lacoste-inosanto system.
Both have been absorbed and modified to suit the way I fight.

There are a few others here too, Ten Tigers, I think Snow dog and some others.

sanjiro_ronin ,

Did you train under guro Dan Inosanto too ? Is he really a humvle man ? I think he teaches more of FMA than JKD , I think , I have his instructional DVDs , he ' s really through in his instructions on whatever he ' s teaching .

To me FMA is something similar to wing chun kung fu mainly because of the trapping or grabbing hand techniques . But sanjiro it ' s practically good to study anykind of martial arts too , then that way you have experiences of what each arts are like , instead of studying just one particular system or style .
What made you study other systems of martial arts anyway ? Just curious ?

For me it was the late Bruce Lee that got me into it , to me it would be nice and good for me to study and research many different arts to see what they ' re like .
So I have many ways of countering a punch or kick , strikes too .

Take Care ,
Lance