PDA

View Full Version : Wong Shun Leung on Bruce Lee

Phil Redmond
04-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Article written by Wong Shun Leung

http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk/wslbl.htm

Some excerts regarding William Cheung (Chang)
. . . .One day, about twenty years ago, I practiced my kung fu in Master Yip's institute. I also helped my fellow learners in their practice. At that time, Chang (Cheung), brought in an Elvis like youngster. He leaned his body to one side with his hand on the wall. The other hand was in the back pocket of his trousers. His body was supported by one of his legs only. He swayed his body continuously. His manner was very frivolous as though he thought that he was smart. I really did not like his appearance. After he went away, I told Chang (Cheung), that I did not welcome this young man. . . A few months later, he came for the second time. This time, he dressed properly and was more polite. Master Yip liked him very much, so he took him to be his disciple. He immediately came over and greeted me. This was so sudden that I just could not understand. We became fellow learners and friends. From then on, he brought me a lot of trouble. That young man was Bruce Lee, the famous international star.

At first, when Bruce learnt the fundamental boxing form of Wing Chun Kung Fu, he seemed to have a sense of suspicion towards it. It was true that the boxing form was a bit dry, so he did not seem to have much interest in it. However, he had seen how Chang, a youngster of the same age, won over his opponent. He also knew that his history of learning Wing Chun Hung Fu was not long. Therefore, he began to develop confidence in the style.

Chang's (Cheung's) father was a police inspector and enjoyed some special privileges, so when Bruce had troubles, he usually found Chang (Cheung) to solve them. Thus the two young men always came and went together. Two or three months later, Bruce began to understand the principles of Wing Chun Kung Fu and his interest grew simultaneously.

A short time passed. Chang (Cheung) had to go to study in Australia. He wanted me to teach and practice with Bruce, so he brought Bruce to my house. It was because at that time Master Yip's health was not very good and I was five or six years older than Bruce. . . . Bruce Lee often asked me whether he could win over Mr. X or Mr. Y. I frequently analyzed the strong and weak points of his imagined opponent for him, and told him the way to win.

Later, he asked me when he would be able to win over Chang (Cheung) and me. He asked too much. I felt that he had fallen into the state of bewitchment. His competitive character caused me to worry for him. I feared that he would lose the aim in learning Kung Fu. I said to him, "To win over me is not difficult. I'm only the commonest of the commons. My history of Kung Fu learning, is only a few years longer than yours. There is nothing great in winning over me. I compare with other people not because I have good Kung Fu. It is only because I am not satisfied with the superstitious and mysterious elements people uphold in Chinese Kung Fu. I am young, I have an ideal. I want to alter people's attitude towards Chinese martial arts in my own effort. In fact, Chinese martial arts is simply a kind of sport. Your potential is better than mine. Some day you will win over me. As to Chang (Cheung), it is difficult to say. You two are of the same age, but his physique and combat experience are better than yours. You will not be able to subdue him now. Whether you can win over him in the future or not depends very much on your progress and your training. . . .

Phil Redmond
04-05-2011, 08:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e7MwXY5aIw

TenTigers
04-05-2011, 08:45 PM
what are sand discs?

lance
04-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Article written by Wong Shun Leung

http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk/wslbl.htm

Some excerts regarding William Cheung (Chang)
. . . .One day, about twenty years ago, I practiced my kung fu in Master Yip's institute. I also helped my fellow learners in their practice. At that time, Chang (Cheung), brought in an Elvis like youngster. He leaned his body to one side with his hand on the wall. The other hand was in the back pocket of his trousers. His body was supported by one of his legs only. He swayed his body continuously. His manner was very frivolous as though he thought that he was smart. I really did not like his appearance. After he went away, I told Chang (Cheung), that I did not welcome this young man. . . A few months later, he came for the second time. This time, he dressed properly and was more polite. Master Yip liked him very much, so he took him to be his disciple. He immediately came over and greeted me. This was so sudden that I just could not understand. We became fellow learners and friends. From then on, he brought me a lot of trouble. That young man was Bruce Lee, the famous international star.

At first, when Bruce learnt the fundamental boxing form of Wing Chun Kung Fu, he seemed to have a sense of suspicion towards it. It was true that the boxing form was a bit dry, so he did not seem to have much interest in it. However, he had seen how Chang, a youngster of the same age, won over his opponent. He also knew that his history of learning Wing Chun Hung Fu was not long. Therefore, he began to develop confidence in the style.

Chang's (Cheung's) father was a police inspector and enjoyed some special privileges, so when Bruce had troubles, he usually found Chang (Cheung) to solve them. Thus the two young men always came and went together. Two or three months later, Bruce began to understand the principles of Wing Chun Kung Fu and his interest grew simultaneously.

A short time passed. Chang (Cheung) had to go to study in Australia. He wanted me to teach and practice with Bruce, so he brought Bruce to my house. It was because at that time Master Yip's health was not very good and I was five or six years older than Bruce. . . . Bruce Lee often asked me whether he could win over Mr. X or Mr. Y. I frequently analyzed the strong and weak points of his imagined opponent for him, and told him the way to win.

Later, he asked me when he would be able to win over Chang (Cheung) and me. He asked too much. I felt that he had fallen into the state of bewitchment. His competitive character caused me to worry for him. I feared that he would lose the aim in learning Kung Fu. I said to him, "To win over me is not difficult. I'm only the commonest of the commons. My history of Kung Fu learning, is only a few years longer than yours. There is nothing great in winning over me. I compare with other people not because I have good Kung Fu. It is only because I am not satisfied with the superstitious and mysterious elements people uphold in Chinese Kung Fu. I am young, I have an ideal. I want to alter people's attitude towards Chinese martial arts in my own effort. In fact, Chinese martial arts is simply a kind of sport. Your potential is better than mine. Some day you will win over me. As to Chang (Cheung), it is difficult to say. You two are of the same age, but his physique and combat experience are better than yours. You will not be able to subdue him now. Whether you can win over him in the future or not depends very much on your progress and your training. . . .

Phillip ,

Hello , so are you certified under GM William Cheung as a sifu ? So why did GM Cheung modify his chum kiu , because I have Sifu Cheung ' s DVD on wing chun and noticed that it ' s different from other wing chun sifus' chum kiu . But GM Cheung ' s kung fu is real good though to me .

Not to forget he made his own moves using wing chun techniques to deal with MMA situations . Other than that I like GM Cheung ' s WC kung fu . Well GM Cheung and wong shun leung were both responsible for training the late bruce
lee in wing chun .

Hardwork108
04-06-2011, 05:59 PM
A Master Yip liked him very much, so he took him to be his disciple.

I was under the impression that Yip Man hardly taught Bruce directly because of his mixed race "status". This is the first time I hear that he was taken in as a DISCIPLE of Yip Man.:confused:

Runlikehell
04-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I was under the impression that Yip Man hardly taught Bruce directly because of his mixed race "status". This is the first time I hear that he was taken in as a DISCIPLE of Yip Man.:confused:

Perhaps WSL Sifu said 'disciple' but meant 'student'.

Phil Redmond
04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
He meant student. The translation isn't verbatim.

Phil Redmond
04-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Phillip ,

Hello , so are you certified under GM William Cheung as a sifu ?
Yes, I am. http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/history.asp#redmond

Hardwork108
04-06-2011, 07:56 PM

Thank you for clarifying that. According to what I have read, even as a student Bruce did not get much direct instruction from Yip Man, due to the reason mentioned earlier.

zuti car
04-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Phillip ,
So why did GM Cheung modify his chum kiu , because I have Sifu Cheung ' s DVD on wing chun and noticed that it ' s different from other wing chun sifus' chum kiu .

I think you may find this interesting, pay attention on the last form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KhY9L0ioyY

Runlikehell
04-06-2011, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

Phil Redmond
04-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Phillip ,

Hello , so are you certified under GM William Cheung as a sifu ? So why did GM Cheung modify his chum kiu , because I have Sifu Cheung ' s DVD on wing chun and noticed that it ' s different from other wing chun sifus' chum kiu .
There are many different versions of Chum Kiu

Phil Redmond
04-11-2011, 04:46 PM
I think you may find this interesting, pay attention on the last form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KhY9L0ioyY

It has similar elements to our Chum Kiu. Thanks for posting the clip.

rachard1583
04-13-2011, 06:06 AM
One of the basic and important principles of Wing Chun can be revealed via a simple mathematical formula: "Between 2 points the shortest distance is a straight line." Imagine that, all the fancy moves seen in many other martial art systems would have you move in big circular movements, or a big arc, so as to generate enough force to hit your target.

russian martial arts (http://www.kgb-militaryschool.com/view/video )

sanjuro_ronin
04-13-2011, 06:17 AM
One of the basic and important principles of Wing Chun can be revealed via a simple mathematical formula: "Between 2 points the shortest distance is a straight line." Imagine that, all the fancy moves seen in many other martial art systems would have you move in big circular movements, or a big arc, so as to generate enough force to hit your target.

russian martial arts (http://www.kgb-militaryschool.com/view/video )

While that is a great STARTING point, the reality of things is not that simple.
What if that point or path is blocked?
The shortest route isn't always the best route.
Not to mention that if an alternate method can develop more power that it may be preferred under certain circumstances.

Phil Redmond
04-13-2011, 09:39 PM
While that is a great STARTING point, the reality of things is not that simple.
What if that point or path is blocked?
The shortest route isn't always the best route.
Not to mention that if an alternate method can develop more power that it may be preferred under certain circumstances.
That's why some WC uses round punches.

lance
04-16-2011, 01:11 AM

Hello Hardwork ,

Well it was the rest of the students who told GM Ip Man not to teach bruce , because he was mixed race , so he relied on Sifu Wong Shun Leung and William Cheung to train bruce , just to share my information with you . His WC was very limited due to the fact that he was a bad boy getting into fights whenever it happened , so fearing that he would disgrace his own family , with his fights .
His parents had sent to the U.S. to start a new life there . And the rest is history .

Take Care ,
Lance

Phil Redmond
04-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Hello Hardwork ,

Well it was the rest of the students who told GM Ip Man not to teach bruce , because he was mixed race , so he relied on Sifu Wong Shun Leung and William Cheung to train bruce , just to share my information with you . His WC was very limited due to the fact that he was a bad boy getting into fights whenever it happened , so fearing that he would disgrace his own family , with his fights .
His parents had sent to the U.S. to start a new life there . And the rest is history .

Take Care ,
Lance
I agree. Yip Man liked Bruce but the other students wanted him out.

Josexx
04-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Can you imagine if Bruce Lee learned the whole Wing Chun system? The partial amount he learned he made a big impact, imo.

Phil Redmond
04-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Can you imagine if Bruce Lee learned the whole Wing Chun system? The partial amount he learned he made a big impact, imo.
If it weren't for a sickness of the human soul; racism. :(

Liddel
04-17-2011, 05:18 PM
I agree. Yip Man liked Bruce but the other students wanted him out.

Everyone has a different story so each to their own but i can tell you from someone who was actually there from the late fifties forward, GM Ip did not like BL because of his mixed race and it was the students who still felt like he should be taught.

If he was liked so much why would GM Ip turn down a fortune to teach him the system personally, its well known Bruce offered to give him an amount that could buy a whole apartment back in those days.

This is based on a personal account of my sifu who knew the people involved and was at one stage was a go between for a fight that was to be organised between Bruce and a certain individual that many had run in's with... This someone is said to have jumped out a window to avoid a fight with William Cheung.
The fight with Bruce never happened after he talked to my sifu.

It wouldn't have made much difference as he wasn't seen (by his seniors) as being that good at what he had learnt.

I think over the years peoples accounts changed and it makes sence that people would want to sugar coat the subject after all the guy is dead and has reached legendary status.

We all know often times what said behind closed doors and then in public is often worlds apart.

I dont expect anyone to take this as the thruth but its one mans "account" none the less.

Either way Ving Tsun is Ving Tsun and Bruce was no measuring stick. For MMA however.... streaks ahead...

PalmStriker
04-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Bruce Lee was famous for rejecting Wing Chun as much if not more than adhering to it as a "screen signature" or in challenge fights. From what I can see he was embracing TCMA and representing China on the whole. Doing his own thing was his nature, He did for CMA what Andres Segovia did for Classical guitar.