PDA

View Full Version : Man of Tai Chi with Keanu Reeves

GeneChing
04-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Apr 5 2011 5:21 PM EDT 1,263
Keanu Reeves Wants 'Man Of Tai Chi' To Be A 'Solid Kung Fu Movie' (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1661387/keanu-reeves-man-of-tai-chi.jhtml)
'Good story, good plot — but let's get some good kung fu going!' he tells MTV News of the film, which he plans to direct.
By Eric Ditzian (@ericditzian) , with reporting by Josh Horowitz (@joshuahorowitz)

While Keanu Reeves pushes forward with work on "47 Ronin," his samurai- and ninja-filled revenge story, he's also trying to get another martial-arts film off the ground — and this one he wants to direct himself.

The 46-year-old actor first told us about the project at the Toronto Film Festival last fall, but when we caught up with him recently as he promoted the indie comedy "Henry's Crime," Reeves spilled some additional details.

"It's called 'Man of Tai Chi,' " he said. "We want to do it in Chinese and English, do it as kind of a co-production with CFG perhaps, which is a Chinese film group, kind of a studio. It's tricky.

"I would play the villain," he added of the story, which would be set in the modern day but pay homage to kung fu films of the past.

Though Reeves and his partners haven't yet bankrolled the production, they've got a script in place — one that will contain a ridiculous amount of fighting. "There's 18 fights. We've timed it out. It's about 40 minutes of fighting," he said. "I want to make a good, solid kung fu movie. Good story, good plot — but let's get some good kung fu going!"

While Reeves waits for financing to come together, he's gearing up to shoot "47 Ronin" in 3-D. "I call it a story of revenge and impossible love," he said. "The samurai become outcast and decide to enact revenge on the person who is responsible for the death of their lord."

Here's our thread on 47 Ronin (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52762).

PalmStriker
04-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Will have to see these movies! Interesting how Keanu is expanding on his "matrix" portfolio. I read where he was always on the set to watch the choreographers and stunt doubles during filming of the trilogy. :D

JamesC
04-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Nice. Hope it ends up being as good as we expect.

Still more excited about Rza's movie, though.

doug maverick
04-08-2011, 08:41 AM
this was talked about like 3 years ago, i forgot on what forum, but we were(as in gene and myself) talking about keanu and one of yuen woo pings guys tiger, scouting locations in china. man keanu has a full slate. 47 ronin, this film, and lets not forget....BILL AND TED PART 3.

GeneChing
04-08-2011, 09:19 AM
I searched Keanu and it didn't come up, at least not as an independent thread. It may be buried in some other thread, but I was in a rush yesterday so I didn't pick through what did come up...actually, that doesn't sound like something I really wanted to do - sift Keanu threads. :o

GeneChing
08-10-2011, 09:53 AM
How do you say "cut! woah!" in Chinese? :p

Exclusive: Keanu Reeves in Financing Talks for His Directorial Debut (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/09/idUS130043851620110809)
By Joshua L. Weinstein at TheWrap
Tue Aug 9, 2011 2:45pm EDT

EXCLUSIVE

Keanu Reeves is in negotiations with China Film Group and Village Roadshow Pictures to get funding for "Man of Tai Chi," a Mandarin-and-English-language movie that Reeves will star in and direct, individuals familiar with the project told TheWrap.

Reeves also wrote the martial arts film, which, if it goes forward, will mark his directorial debut.

"Tai Chi" also stars Tiger Chen, a member of the kung fu team in "The Matrix."

The "Speed" star plays the villain in the movie, which includes some serious fighting scenes.

Reeves showed off his martial arts chops in "The Matrix" films and recently finished filming "47 Ronin," Universal's adaptation of the Japanese martial arts picture.

Representatives of Reeves and Village Roadshow declined comment. Representatives of China Film Group could not be reached.

GeneChing
10-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Posted by lizzy1 on 2011/10/11 9:00:00 (91 reads)
News From Today
Keanu Reeves to choose his Asian co-star (http://www.club-keanu.com/news/)

BEIJING - Keanu Reeves is set to film Man Of Tai Chi next year, but first he has to select his co-star, reports Apple Daily.

Chinese actresses Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li and Zhou Xun are all in the running to be the lead actress of the movie, which is Reeves' directorial debut.

According to Apple Daily, it appears that Ziyi has the edge, as Reeves has previously mentioned that he was attracted to her performance in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Her command of the English language also gives her an advantage over Zhou Xun.I bet he was attracted to her performance...:rolleyes:

GeneChing
10-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Is Tiger Hu redundant?

Keanu Reeves’ Directorial Debut ‘Man Of Tai Chi’ Will Start Shooting At The End Of The Year (http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/2011/10/17/keanu_reeves_directorial_debut_man_of_tai_chi_will _start_shooting_by_the_en/#)

For the seven of you holding out for “Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure 3”—sorry dudes.

The wheels having been turning for the past little while for Keanu Reeves’ first foray behind the camera for a little while now. Over the summer, financing was coming together and Screen Daily confirms that Village Roadshow, China Film and Wanda Group will be signing the cheques for the modestly budgeted $25 million “Man Of Tai Chi.”

Reeves will also star in the pic along with Tiger Hu Chen, one of the stuntmen on “The Matrix” films, in the English and Mandarin language movie that Reeves has been promising will kick exactly eighteen kinds of ass. “There’s 18 fights. We’ve timed it out. It’s about 40 minutes of fighting,” he told MTV earlier in the year. “I want to make a good, solid kung fu movie. Good story, good plot — but let’s get some good kung fu going!”

Of course, what that actual story is appears still be somewhat of a mystery. But Reeves will have plenty of time to answer questions about his movie he starts doing the press rounds for “47 Ronin” which opens on November 21, 2012. It seems for fans of Reeves delivering big action spectaculars, they will have a lot to look forward to.

GeneChing
11-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Keanu Reeves To Commence Martial Arts Training With Yuen Woo Ping For MAN OF TAI CHI! (http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/11/keanu-reeves-to-commence-martial-arts-training-with-yuen-woo-ping-for-man-of-tai-chi.php)
by Hugo Ozman, November 21, 2011 6:52 AM

Keanu Reeves is currently in Hong Kong preparing and casting for his directorial debut film MAN OF TAI CHI. The film is to star Tiger Hu Chen, a key member of the MATRIX stunt team; with Reeves himself playing the villain. One of the actors Keanu is rumored to have met up with is Hong Kong actor Simon Yam Tat-Wah (IP MAN 1 & 2, ELECTION 1 & 2 and BODYGUARDS AND ASSASSINS).

A few months ago, Reeves had disclosed that the film was to include 18 fight scenes with a total fight time of around 40 minutes. To prepare for his role, Reeves will soon commence intensive martial arts training with famous action choreographer Yuen Woo Ping, who will be in charge of the action scenes in MAN OF TAI CHI. The pair previously worked together on the MATRIX Trilogy. Nice to know Keanu is going to train for this...:rolleyes:

GeneChing
11-23-2011, 11:15 AM
So far, I vote for Crystal.

Keanu Reeves busy looking for his Tai Chi girl in China (http://www.china.org.cn/arts/2011-11/23/content_23985811.htm)
CRI, November 23, 2011

http://images.china.cn/attachement/jpg/site1007/20111123/00114320ca551036a0ab0a.jpg

Keanu Reeves took his time visiting Hong Kong during his work.[Photo: baidu]

The "Matrix" star Keanu Reeves is busy looking for a female lead for his Kung Fu movie "Man of Tai Chi" in Beijing and Hong Kong right now, The New Express reports.

Josie Ho, daughter of the Gambling mogul Stanley Ho, was recently spotted having a meeting with Keanu Reeves. Other big names, including "The Sorcerer and the White Snake" star Eva Hung, Mou Girl Zhou Dongyu and Crystal Liu are also on Reeves' shortlist.

Some reports have indicated that Reeves is looking for someone "not that beautiful but with the spirit of the orient."

Meanwhile, he also auditioned 10 other Hong Kong actors for cameo roles in his movie such as Bernice Liu, Ti Lung, Chow Chun-Wai and Michael Tong.

Casting auditions should be concluded before the end of 2011, according to Reeves's schedule.

With an investment of nearly 200 million RMB from Village Roadshow and the China Film Group, "Man of Tai Chi" will mark the first time for Reeves takes the helm as director. Chinese Kung Fu master Yuen Woo-Ping will choreograph the movie. Chen Hu, the Kung Fu coach for Reeves, will perform as the lead character while Reeves will play against him as a villain.

The movie will start shooting in February 2012 on the Mainland, Hong Kong and Macau.

Hebrew Hammer
11-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Can anyone refresh my memory, has Keanu had any formal martial training...I can totally see him as Tai Chi guy Bro. Excellent!!

Lucas
11-23-2011, 01:38 PM
didnt he learn wing chun or something for the matrix?

Brule
11-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah, he learned movie-fu, which is useless....so i guess logically he DID learn Wing Chun/Ving Tsun/ and all it's permutations.......

GeneChing
11-23-2011, 03:16 PM
It's quite useful for the movies. :rolleyes:

No_Know
11-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Looses

Improves/gains companions

Wins

The balance of the fights: speculation

Man of Tai Chi is a woman--learning from her inept husband/significant other through observation. When he has to protect her she actially Drunken ish of Hunhhh? Meee? Whuuuuuh? Then he gets the credit and thoughinept begins to learn from touch what's behind the moves and gets it. then when badguys realize the earlier fights were won by the woman the guy gets dismissed as far as having Tai Chi but wave after increasing wave is used in an attempt to beat the once inept stylist--escaping from small situations person finally goes to big bad, and we find that there is an even bigger badder. It ends comically after a Humble Moral Win where They have to get groceries (running joke throughout movie)[something like]. Kick-Butt when civilally needed and morally somehow responsible but not excused fro the drudgery of everyday living--Realistic Kung-Fu for a Person of Tai Chi.

No_Know

doug maverick
11-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Looses

Improves/gains companions

Wins

The balance of the fights: speculation

Man of Tai Chi is a woman--learning from her inept husband/significant other through observation. When he has to protect her she actially Drunken ish of Hunhhh? Meee? Whuuuuuh? Then he gets the credit and thoughinept begins to learn from touch what's behind the moves and gets it. then when badguys realize the earlier fights were won by the woman the guy gets dismissed as far as having Tai Chi but wave after increasing wave is used in an attempt to beat the once inept stylist--escaping from small situations person finally goes to big bad, and we find that there is an even bigger badder. It ends comically after a Humble Moral Win where They have to get groceries (running joke throughout movie)[something like]. Kick-Butt when civilally needed and morally somehow responsible but not excused fro the drudgery of everyday living--Realistic Kung-Fu for a Person of Tai Chi.

No_Know

the movie isn't even out yet.....nor any story details.

doug maverick
11-25-2011, 12:49 PM
As for "movie fu" real martial artist don't always make good screen fighters..ill take a talented dancer over a black belt any day of the week.

JamesC
11-26-2011, 09:30 AM
As for "movie fu" real martial artist don't always make good screen fighters..ill take a talented dancer over a black belt any day of the week.

Hmmm...I dunno.

I really liked Blackbelt. The scripting wasn't great, but they used advanced Shotokan practitioners.

doug maverick
11-26-2011, 12:43 PM
i said real martial artist dont ALWAYS make good screen fighters not never make good screen fighters.

Jimbo
11-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Hmmm...I dunno.

I really liked Blackbelt. The scripting wasn't great, but they used advanced Shotokan practitioners.

Actually, one was Shotokan and the other was Goju-ryu.

Yeah, 'movie-fu' or real fu, the most important thing is how someone can present/project themselves, follow directions, etc., etc. Of course, there are tons of actual MAists who do make up the best onscreen 'fighters', but I've seen countless examples of real-life MA experts and champion fighters who are awful onscreen. Whereas in some cases, non-MAists can oftentimes be very convincing. Like any other pursuit, it's a talent; either you have the potential for it or you don't.

One of the best examples of a real-life champion fighter/MAist who looked outstanding onscreen was Benny Urquidez, when being directed by Sammo Hung.

Brule
11-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Benny 'The Jet' was awesome onscreen with Jackie. Forget the title, i think it was Meals on Wheels? Anyway, too bad i didn't see him in more flicks. Actually, that's the only one i've seen him in.

doug maverick
11-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Benny 'The Jet' was awesome onscreen with Jackie. Forget the title, i think it was Meals on Wheels? Anyway, too bad i didn't see him in more flicks. Actually, that's the only one i've seen him in.

ask jackie chan about that and im sure youll get a much different story...benny kept hitting jackie for real, and jackie wanted to fight him, there was alot of problems, and thats what i mean about real martial artist. some have it, some dont. and the "it" i refer to is timing. which is what a really talented dancer has.

Jimbo
11-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Yes, I heard that about Benny and Jackie, too. I would guess (I may be wrong) that Benny wasn't doing it deliberately. Unfortunately, that's what you get when you cast a fighter in a movie (Wheels on Meals was only Benny's second movie experience). But he still looked great onscreen, and he easily kept up in the choreo with Jackie when Jackie was at his physical peak.

On a side note, I heard that Jackie, and especially Sammo, regularly made hard contact with stuntmen in the '80s, when there was a drive among HK moviemakers for 'realism' in stunts and physical contact. Maybe Benny was a little too realistic for them. Keith Vitali, who fought Yuen Biao in the movie, claimed he was not told that Yuen Biao was going to smash a vase into his head until they did it.

Brule:
Jackie and Benny movie-fought again a few years later in Dragons Forever. Benny also appeared in a few American films; his first film role was in Force: Five (a bad film). Also had a small part in Grosse Pointe Blank.

Concerning dancers as screen fighters, IMO the best I've seen was Moon Lee (Lee Choi-Fung). She was a dancer who learned 'fu' for the movies but looked outstanding...better than Michelle Yeoh, who was also a dancer. So was Kara Hui.

As for the original topic, I'll just wait to see how Keanu's film turns out.

doug maverick
11-28-2011, 09:52 PM
it sounds like its gonna be interesting, ill go for the fights if nothing else...doesnt sound better then man with the iron fist thou...that movie just sounds like its gona be bananas...

Brule
11-29-2011, 07:04 AM
I'll probably end up watching this when it comes out. I thought Reeves did an ok job with the choreography for the Matrix series, although i found him really stiff necked in a lot of scenes. Not sure what happened during the filming of the last Matrix film as some of the commentary on it seems to suggest Woo-Ping wasn't around and Reeves and Weaving were just winging it, i could be wrong.

doug maverick
11-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Dante lam took over when woo ping wasn't around. And the reason he seemed stiff necked is because he seriously injured it during filming if you watch making of footage during two and three he wore a neck brace.

Hebrew Hammer
11-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Dante lam took over when woo ping wasn't around. And the reason he seemed stiff necked is because he seriously injured it during filming if you watch making of footage during two and three he wore a neck brace.

Interesting...but I agree Keanu looks stiff necked in several of his movies. I just thought it was a posture thing with him.

Brule
11-29-2011, 12:34 PM

Probably the case although i was also thinking about the first part , the second two installments, he actually seemed to be getting more comfortable with the action sequences. Funny, i read it mentioned somewhere after the first one came out that they purposely had him really stiff and rigid and their explanation of that was because he was just pulled out of the matrix and thus his muscles were not used to moving let alone learning 'kung fu'. They basically made it part of the story of the film. I found it a lame excuse albeit clever to use.

GeneChing
11-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Any martial arts film buff has to see this. Come on now. I see every major martial arts film eventually. Why wouldn't I? I love martial arts films. Even the horrible ones. It's an addiction.

"Hello, my name is Gene, and I'm a martial arts movie addict."

This could be a game changer. This could also be horrible. Whatever it is, I've still gotta see it.

doug maverick
11-29-2011, 03:06 PM
i think this mixed with man with the iron fist is gonna open up some doors..its what ive been saying...making martial arts films, that mix it up a bit...not all this foreign devil crap, or the subliminal patriotism...just a good linear story with tons of ass kicking.

doug maverick
11-29-2011, 03:07 PM
im loving all the martial punk!!

GeneChing
11-29-2011, 03:24 PM
As long as there's no martial emo, I'm cool with it.

I certainly hope these films open up some doors. I've always felt that the martial genre is painfully unimaginative. Why is in martial arts filmmakers keep regurgitating Enter the Dragon and Fist of Fury? Although I must say I've been enjoying this new wave of Fant-Asia coming out of China lately. That's a bit of a retread too, but at least the special effects are better now.

doug maverick
11-29-2011, 08:34 PM
I just can't wait to see another modern day actioner. Like sha po lang. Wuxia was amazing. But it was history of violance, mixed with csi/law and order. And it would have been perfect if only they didn't shoot the end to that last fight scene. That killed it for me. It was a kingdom of the crystal skulls moment.

Jimbo
11-30-2011, 12:19 AM
As long as there's no martial emo, I'm cool with it.

I certainly hope these films open up some doors. I've always felt that the martial genre is painfully unimaginative. Why is in martial arts filmmakers keep regurgitating Enter the Dragon and Fist of Fury? Although I must say I've been enjoying this new wave of Fant-Asia coming out of China lately. That's a bit of a retread too, but at least the special effects are better now.

The American MA films are always tournament-related (MMA, underground fights, etc., etc.). In (most) of the recent Chinese MA films, it's Chinese against everyone else. That got old decades ago. I guess there's been a Bruce Lee fad in China, pretty late for it; I think it was the same in China with the Beatles not long ago, too.

I'm still waiting for Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa to just get on with it. Tony seems to have run out of steam, but I'm sure that's what many want to see. Maybe a story similar to Secret Rivals, but instead of southern style vs. northern style, it'll be Donnie and Tony's respective styles. Then cast someone like Kim Won-Jin as the mutual villain, so that Donnie and Tony can fight, but neither has to 'lose' to the other. In the end fight, they have to double-team against the villain. And set it in modern times (Tony is way better in modern settings). That's a simplistic outline of a basic idea. I know that's not an original MA movie story idea, but compared to a lot of today's MA films, it would be refreshingly different.

Oh, and have Sammo Hung as the main choreographer, with input from each camp. That might lessen any issues of ego. Boom, problem solved. **Well, maybe...

GeneChing
12-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Is Keanu the Carradine of this generation?

Keanu Reeves' Directorial Debut 'Man of Tai Chi' Gets Greenlight (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/keanu-reeves-director-man-tai-chi-273813)
3:12 PM PST 12/14/2011 by Pamela McClintock

Village Roadshow Asia, China Film Group, Wanda Media and Universal Pictures are co-financing the martial arts pic, which will shoot in China.

Universal Pictures is boarding Keanu Reeves' directorial debut Man of Tai Chi, which will be shot in China and co-financed by Village Roadshow Pictures Asia, China Film Group, Wanda Media and Universal.

Reeves, who also will co-star in the martial arts pic, has been in talks with Village Roadshow Asia and China Film Group for months regarding the project. Village Roadshow Asia's affiliates will distribute Man of Tai Chi in Australia, New Zealand and Singapore, by China Film Group and Wanda Media Group in China and by Universal in the rest of the world.

Man of Tai Chi reteams Reeves and Village Roadshow, which co-produced and co-financed The Matrix franchise with Warner Bros.

Set in contemporary Beijing, Man of Tai Chi headlines Tiger Chen, who was part of the kung fu team in The Matrix. In Man of Tai Chi, Chen stars as a young martial artist whose fighting skills brings him to a realm of vast opportunities, and painful choices.

Reeves, who is currently in China, will shoot the film in Mandarin and English, and is slated to start production in February.

"We are pleased to announce Man of Tai Chi under the Village Roadshow Pictures Asia label and to extend our long-standing relationship with Keanu," Village Roadshow Entertainment Group CEO Glen Basser said.

Universal International president David Kosse said the opportunity to become further involved in the Chinese market, as well as to bring Chinese films to audiences around the world, is a priority for the studio. "Man of Tai Chi has an amazing pedigree of filmmakers and we're thrilled to be a part of Keanu's directorial debut," he said.

ShaolinDan
12-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Carradine could act at least.

doug maverick
12-15-2011, 07:37 PM
well considering he is literally at the top of the A list and carradine never was..im gonna go with no...but yes carradine could act his ass off.

GeneChing
12-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Gotta write something to make that 10 character minimum for posts. :o

Universal boards Reeves' Man of Tai Chi (http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/universal-boards-reeves-man-of-tai-chi)
By Patrick Frater
Thu, 15 December 2011, 10:04 AM (HKT)

Hollywood studio Universal Pictures Inc has come on board as international distributor and co-financier of the Chinese language film Man of Tai Chi that will mark the directorial debut of Keanu REEVES.

The film is being co-produced by Village Roadshow Entertainment Group Asia, China Film Group Corporation 中國電影集團公司 and Wanda Media.

It is expected to shoot from February in Beijing, with production travelling from the mainland to Hong Kong and Macau.

Village Roadshow and its related companies will release the film in Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. China will be handled by CFG and Wanda, while Universal handles distribution in the rest of the world.

"The opportunity to get further involved in the Chinese market and to bring Chinese films to audiences around the world is important to Universal," said David KOSSE, president of Universal International, in a statement.

Reeves will also appear in front of the camera, though the star will be Tiger CHEN 陳虎, a martial artist who previously worked on The Matrix with both Reeves and Village Roadshow.

The contemporary, Beijing-set story is the "spiritual journey of a young martial artist (Tiger Chen), whose fighting skills brings him to a realm opportunities and painful choices."

Reeves recently completed filming in the UK of 47 Ronin, an English-language, Japanese film that Universal will also handle.

GeneChing
12-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Karen Mok Is Keanu Reeves' Tai Chi Girl (http://english.cri.cn/6666/2011/12/19/1261s672169.htm)
2011-12-19 13:01:29 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Xie Tingting
Karen Mok has been announced as the female lead of Keanu Reeves' directorial debut "Man of Tai Chi".

Singer-actress Karen Mok has been announced as the female lead of Keanu Reeves' directorial debut "Man of Tai Chi", according to Mtime.com.

Mok will play a police officer in the movie.

The casting progress has lasted for a few months in China. A number of top Chinese actresses were rumored to be joining the movie including Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li, Liu Yifei and Huang Shengyi.

Previous reports have indicated that Chen Hu, the kung fu coach for Reeves, will play the lead role. Reeves will play opposite him as a villain.

"Man of Tai Chi" is a modern kung fu flick with a tai chi twist. China Film Group, Village Roadshow Asia, Wanda Media and Universal Pictures will co-produce the movie. Universal Pictures will be in charge of its release in North America.

The movie is expected to start shooting in February in Beijing.

By Chen Nan
I've never been much of a fan of Karen Mok. She looks a little too much like someone I used to know and that freaks me out.
http://www.coolwallpaper.com.cn/cn/Karen%20Mok/coolwallpaper-36.jpg
Karen Mok's official website (http://karenmok.com/karenmok.html)

GeneChing
02-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Keanu is positioning himself for the Chinese market. Does anyone know if he speaks Chinese?

Posted: Tue., Feb. 21, 2012, 5:26am PT
Keanu Reeves to deliver masterclass in Hong Kong (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118050518?printerfriendly=true)
Filmart attracts 640 exhibitors from 30 countries
By Clifford Coonan

BEIJING -- Organizers are gearing up for a record number of exhibitors at Filmart, the Hong Kong Film and Television Market, while Keanu Reeves will give a master class on digital film at the Hong Kong Film Festival, which runs concurrently.

The March 19 to 22 event is likely to attract considerable interest after mainland China, which is strongly linked with the Hong Kong biz, agreed to increase market access for U.S. movies earlier this week. This resolves an outstanding trade dispute, prompting hopes of a boom in Hollywood-China relations.

Filmart will feature some 640 exhibitors from nearly 30 countries at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center.

The U.S.' Independent Film and TV Alliance will present a variety of companies in the U.S. pavilion.

For the first time there will be pavilions for exhibitors from Turkey and Mexico, while other pavilions will house Gaul's Unifrance and Ile de France; Film Export U.K.; South Korea's Kofic and Kocca; Japan's promo org Unijapan, the Okinawa Film Office, Hokkaido Contents Distribution and Jetro.

Filmart will also host pavilions for Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.

"Filmart is Asia's premier film industry event and one of the world's top three film markets in terms of exhibitor numbers. Together with other events under the expo, we look forward to showcasing the biggest annual entertainment event to the world," said Hong Kong Trade Development Council assistant executive director Raymond Yip.

There will also be seminars and conferences looking at new media and online distribution, screenwriting for the global market, and others.

Reeves will be guest of honor at the Jockey Club Cine Academy Master Class on March 18, presenting "Side by Side," a documentary produced by and featuring Reeves interviewing filmmakers including George Lucas, Martin Scorsese and James Cameron about the development of digital cinema technology.

"A talent of his international stature at the Master Class is a real encouragement to our young people to develop their interest in film and film culture," said fest exec Roger Garcia.

The event will be moderated by filmmaker and art connoisseur Yonfan, who is involved in digital restoration of his own films.

The events come under the umbrella of the Entertainment Expo Hong Kong, which will feature nine events covering film, TV, digital entertainment and music.

Also included are the Asian Film Awards, the Hong Kong Asia Film Financing Forum, the Hong Kong Asian Pop Music Festival, the IFPI Hong Kong Sales Music Award, the Incubator for Film & Visual Media in Asia and the Digital Visual Effects Summit.

doug maverick
02-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Keanu is positioning himself for the Chinese market. Does anyone know if he speaks Chinese?

no he doesnt...he barely speaks american.

GeneChing
02-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Here we go....

Tai Chi starts its stretch (http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/tai-chi-starts-its-stretch)
By Patrick Frater
Wed, 29 February 2012, 18:00 PM (HKT)
http://www.filmbiz.asia/media/BAhbB1sHOgZmSSIvMjAxMi8wMi8yOS8wMS8xOS81OS8yODAvTW FuX29mX1RhaV9DaGkuanBnBjoGRVRbCDoGcDoKdGh1bWJJIg01 MDB4MTAwMAY7BlQ?suffix=.jpg&sha=dd572677

Production began yesterday (28 Feb) in Beijing on Man Of Tai Chi, the Chinese-language film that marks the directorial debut of US star Keanu Reeves.

Filming will take place over some six months in China and Hong Kong on the RMB200 million ($32 million) contemporary Kung Fu and Tai Chi action film.

The cast is headed by Tiger Chen Hu, Reeves and Karen Mok, with celebrated action choreographer Yuen Woo-ping overseeing the martial arts.

The film is a venture involving China Film Group, Village Roadshow Asia, Wanda Media and Universal Pictures as co-producers. Universal will handle distribution in most international territories.

Reeves is pictured (right) with China Film Group head, Han Sanping (left).

doug maverick
06-24-2012, 07:01 AM
this was a pretty cool proof of concept video and article.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/06/kung-fu-proof-of-concept-for-keanu-reeves-man-of-tai-chi.php

enjoy

GeneChing
06-26-2012, 09:44 AM
These days, Keanu Reeves is redefining the very CONCEPT of Kung Fu (http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2012/06/these-days-keanu-reeves-is-redefining-the-very-concept-of-kung-fu)
06.26.12 Written by Vince Mancini

Keanu Reeves has already begun production on his directorial debut, a kung fu picture called Man of Tai Chi, and not only does he famously know kung fu (thanks, Larry Fishburne, sorry about your daughter), he’s trying to come up with a new way to film it. There’s a proof of concept video on YouTube for the special rig he’ll be using, which is called Bot & Dolly.

Keanu says “the ambition for me was trying to get what I’ve seen done before with CGI and putting the camera in places where you couldn’t get and have the flesh and blood elements there.”

t looks like the reverse of wire fu, sort of an “in Soviet Russia, camera flies you” kind of situation. The possibilities of it aren’t exactly blowing my mind just yet, but it would allow you to make that little frame with your fingers and gesticulate wildly a lot on the set, which I bet really makes you feel like a big-time director. Also, I was able to get this exclusive photo of Keanu Reeves on the day he discovered the rig:
http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/happy-keanu-camera.jpg
"You guys! You guys! Come quick!"

Here's the vid: Keanu Reeves - Kungfu Proof of Concept (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zHlY3P25aA) It's a cool rig, worth a peek.

Keanu Reeves Secures Funding and Distribution for Directorial Debut MAN OF TAI CHI (http://collider.com/keanu-reeves-man-of-tai-chi-universal/132478/)
by Brendan Bettinger Posted:December 14th, 2011 at 8:31 pm

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/keanu-reeves-slice.jpg

It was first announced in April that Keanu Reeves planned on making his directorial debut with the martial arts movie Man of Tai Chi. Ever since, Reeves has been in talks with Village Roadshow Asia and China Film Group to make it happen. Reeves has finally made the deal, teaming with Universal and Wanda Media in addition to Village Roadshow and China Film Group to make and distribute Man of Tai Chi. Tiger Chen, who was part of the Matrix stunt team, stars as “as a young martial artist whose fighting skills brings him to a realm of vast opportunities, and painful choices.” Reeves will also co-star as the villain.

Man of Tai Chi is scheduled to start shooting in February in China. Reeves will shoot in both Mandarin and English for the film, set in contemporary Beijing. Hit the jump for quotes from Reeves on his approach to the task at hand.

Back in April, Reeves promised he would not skimp on the kung fu:

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/tiger-chen-keanu-reeves-image.jpg

“There’s 18 fights. We’ve timed it out. It’s about 40 minutes of fighting. I want to make a good, solid kung fu movie. Good story, good plot—but let’s get some good kung fu going!”

Reeves also noted the inherent difficulties with the truly international production, which must be daunting for the first time filmmaker:

“We want to do it in Chinese and English, do it as kind of a co-production with CFG perhaps, which is a Chinese film group, kind of a studio. It’s tricky.”

I honestly don’t know if Reeves can pull this off, but I am happy he will get the opportunity to try.

Amazingly, Man of Tai Chi is still a close second in Upcoming Martial Arts Movies from Unexpected Sources to The Man of the Iron Fist, a kung fu movie written and directed by RZA, starring Russell Crowe.

GeneChing
06-29-2012, 10:22 AM
kids these days.... PAMPERED! ;)

'Matrix' Fight Choreographer Talks Working With Keanu Reeves, Jackie Chan (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/yuen-woo-ping-matrix-keanu-reeves-jackie-chan-343220)
6:19 PM PDT 6/28/2012 by Karen Chu

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2012/06/yuen_woo_ping_a_l.jpg
Yuen Woo-Ping is being honored at the Paris Cinema Film Festival and is currently working on Reeves' directorial debut.

HONG KONG – Yuen Woo-ping, the Hong Kong film industry’s premier martial arts film action choreographer and director, is being honored for his contribution to one of the territory’s best-known genres at the Hong Kong in Focus special program at the 10th Paris Cinema Film Festival. The program, organized in collaboration with the Hong Kong International Film Festival, is opening June 29, where over half a century’s worth of Hong Kong cinematic gems are showcased.

Yuen will be attending the festivities in Paris to introduce his kung-fu tour de force spanning three decades, and to give a master class on July 4. Featured in the program are his second directorial effort, the action-comedy Drunken Master (1978), which helped established Jackie Chan as a leading man after years of faceless but hardy stuntman work; Iron Monkey (1993), which reunited the helmer with his former martial arts protégé, Donnie Yen; and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), director Ang Lee’s kung-fu rhapsody starring Chow Yun-Fat that Yuen says established a “romanticized, aesthetically pleasing visual style of kung fu” that set the tone for onscreen martial arts fighting for the next decade in Chinese-language cinema.

“In the era of Drunken Master, all the fighting you see on screen were genuine fighting; the actors were hitting each other for real, and it really hurt,” Yuen tells The Hollywood Reporter. “And injuries sometimes did occur. But that was when most the action actors and stuntmen had authentic martial arts backgrounds. At the same time, as the director and action choreographer, that gave me the most freedom to design action sequences. I could just pull the actor aside if I had a new idea, we could work it out together whether he could pull it off physically or not, or give me his ideas."

"The choreography was more flexible and spontaneous,” adds the 67-year-old master who is known as “baat ye”, or “Grandfather Eight”. Yuen’s father Yuen Siu-tien, the first action choreographer in Chinese-language cinema, played the role of the original drunken master, Beggar So, in the film. Yuen followed his father’s lead from a young age, dedicating all his time to learning and training for martial arts and Peking opera combat.

Over the course of more than thirty years, Yuen has seen action in Hong Kong films evolves from a realistic form to a style that emphasizes the beauty of movements. “The action nowadays is all about romance,” says the award-winning action choreographer, “and the whole process is so much more careful and meticulous when putting together an action scene.”

Besides the change in taste in action cinema, Yuen has also seen the ups and downs of Hong Kong action filmmakers, from the stars to the stuntmen. “The reigning action leading men are not getting any younger, so are the stuntmen. It’s very difficult find the next Jackie Chan or Jet Li, and even Donnie Yen isn’t a young man anymore. He’s paid his dues, and finally got his break,” says Yuen. “The Hong Kong stunt crews are getting too old also, for the physical demand in action films. When the younger generations in Hong Kong are mostly so much more pampered than when I was a kid, who’s going to practice like we did? We basically learned our discipline by getting beat up by our sifu on a daily basis. So, the teams I’ve been working with nowadays are mostly from China,” he adds.

Yuen’s innovative choreography of movements and combat eventually earned him a stint in Hollywood, where he famously designed breathtaking action sequences, which combined physical movements and special effects, in the Wachowskis' The Matrix trilogy, and later for Quentin Tarantino’s Kill Bill Part 1 & 2.

“We are at a time where we can create the most impossible action sequences with the help of visual effects,” says Yuen, who is open to future opportunities in Hollywood, but is more inclined to work in Chinese-speaking regions because of the challenges presented by the language barrier. Nevertheless, the master, whose credits includes numerous tai chi-themed films including Drunken Tai Chi (1984), and Tai Chi Master (1993), is working as action director in Man of Tai Chi, the directorial debut of Keanu Reeves, who Yuen met on The Matrix and was impressed by his diligence. “We had to start from scratch training him from the basics, but he was very hardworking and put in a great deal of effort,” Yuen commented. For the tai chi-influenced action sequences in the new film, which Reeves also stars, Yuen says the actor-director has a lot of ideas, and final product would show a mix of different martial arts disciplines that has not be previously seen on film.

The 10th edition of Paris Cinema Film Festival will run from June 29 to July 10.

GeneChing
01-21-2013, 11:21 AM
...this was due for a ttt

Hong Kong Singer Karen Mok’s New English Jazz Album (http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2013/01/20/hong-kong-singer-karen-mok-s-new-english-jazz-album.html)
Jan 21, 2013 12:00 AM EST
Hong Kong—born chanteuse Karen Mok is ready to take the West by storm.

Karen Mok is one of Asia’s biggest stars, with numerous awards for her singing and movie roles, and, in an often conformist industry, she is famed for her individuality. She has played offbeat roles for director Wong Kar-Wai (Fallen Angels) and acted in countless movies with Hong Kong comic legend Stephen Chow (God of Cookery, Shaolin Soccer). Half Chinese and a quarter Welsh, with German and Iranian ancestry, she plays three instruments and speaks four languages (English, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Italian). And yet, with the exception of a brief appearance in Around the World in 80 Days with Steve Coogan and Jackie Chan in 2004, Mok—who adopted the Chinese transliteration of her original family name, Morris, when she began her career in Asia—has made surprisingly few inroads into the global entertainment mainstream. But that’s about to change. Mok recently completed her first major role in a Hollywood movie*—Man of Tai Chi, starring and codirected by Keanu Reeves. And this week sees the global release of her first English-language album, Somewhere I Belong. Produced by nu-jazz pioneer Bugge Wesseltoft, it mixes classics such as “Stormy Weather” and “My Funny Valentine” with jazz-tinged interpretations of pop songs, from the Beatles to Portishead, all with a subtle Chinese twist. Mok plays the guzheng, a classical Chinese instrument, throughout the album, which also features the 1930s Mandarin jazz classic “Ye Shanghai” (“Shanghai Night”). Newsweek caught up with Mok in Shanghai, where*—in her crisp, British-accented English, punctuated with frequent gales of laughter*—she talked about her album and the long delay in her global “coming out.”
Karen Mok

http://cdn.thedailybeast.com/content/newsweek/2013/01/20/hong-kong-singer-karen-mok-s-new-english-jazz-album/_jcr_content/body/inlineimage.img.503.jpg/1358490518592.cached.jpg
The multitalented Mok sings, acts, and plays the guzheng. (Feng Li/Getty Images for Nokia)

So why has it taken you so long to sing and act in English?

Well, things just have to fall into place at the right time. It’s easy to just record a bunch of songs in English, of course—but to have the support of the record company [Universal] and the platform to bring the music to the rest of the world, and to work with such amazing musicians, is not an opportunity which comes along every day. So I just feel really, really lucky.

You’re best known in Asia for pop, rock, and dance songs. Why did you choose a jazz album?

I always dreamt of being a jazz singer. I fell in love with jazz when I was at university, and I’m passionate about it. I think jazz is really the best way to express yourself—it can cross boundaries and touch people all over the world. Of course it’s intimidating because these songs are such classics, and they’ve been done by all these divas you admire and love, and you can’t just imitate them. But I love to reinvent things and make them my own work. We wanted a jazz album with our own identity and a Chinese flair.

Do you think the world is ready for a jazz album with Chinese elements?

Oh, totally! There really are no boundaries in jazz—it’s played by people all around the world—and we just wanted to record in Shanghai and have that old ’20s feel. And the world really is coming closer: look at PSY! I guess most people wouldn’t understand what he’s singing in Korean, but they still like it—it grabs you, it touches you, and that’s all that matters.

Your choice of songs might surprise some—“Sour Times” by Portishead, George Harrison’s “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”…

Well, it’s important to have a balance*—I’m a pop singer, and some of these pop classics could easily be interpreted in a jazzy way. I picked Portishead because I like to surprise the audience, and I chose “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” both because the melody is beautiful and because of the amazing solo. The guzheng and a couple of other Chinese instruments are very important elements in the album, and I was adventurous enough to bring in my electrified guzheng and substitute it for Eric Clapton’s guitar solo!

You’ve also just acted in a Hollywood movie. How do you think Asian artists are perceived in the entertainment world—is it easy to be pigeonholed?

Well, the world’s evolving very quickly. But there are probably still certain stereo*types. For example, in movies, if you’re Asian and you do a kung fu movie, 
people think that’s very “authentic” and makes a lot of sense [laughs]—though I do think this is gradually changing.

Your character in Man of Tai Chi is a cop—is she interesting?

What’s interesting is that she’s constantly on the go after the bad guys—Keanu is the main bad guy—and I’m just chasing these baddies, and I never die. I roll down a hill and then, here I am going after them still!

You normally sing in Mandarin, and you’re a big star in mainland China. How do the Chinese media perceive you, given your multiethnic heritage?

I think because I studied abroad and I have a different background, the general perception is that they find me very Westernized, which makes it totally acceptable that I wear clothes that look different, or take on roles such as God of Cookery [in which she played a buck-toothed, lazy-eyed street vendor], just do quirky things because [they think], oh well, she’s Westernized, she can do these things!

http://cdn.thedailybeast.com/content/newsweek/2013/01/20/hong-kong-singer-karen-mok-s-new-english-jazz-album/_jcr_content/body/inlineimage_0.img.503.jpg/1358490694124.cached.jpg
Mok debuts her first English release Jan. 18.

You’ve also spoken out on a number of causes [Mok is a UNICEF ambassador and has campaigned for animal rights and against human trafficking], yet it seems the Chinese media, particularly photographers, often portray you as just another glamour star. Is it hard getting them to listen to what you’re saying?

Well, I think the media love most to report on your personal life—who are you dating and how’s married life and, oh, any plans for babies [laughs]. But they’re people at the end of the day—of course they want to know about these things! But so far, so good. I am very involved in those areas, and I think it really depends on how you deliver your message. You can’t have the whole world listening to you, but you can have an opinion and try to persuade people. That’s why I try to put in my messages or at least my own personality into my work—though at the end of the day for me, it’s really about having a good time!

You recently married your German boyfriend, and you’re living partly in London now. Is this a new phase in your career? Can we expect more work in English in the future?

I’m definitely ready for all sorts of challenges, otherwise I’ll get bored. Perhaps in the future I could do a jazz album with all original works in English—so, yes, we’ll see.

'Your character in Man of Tai Chi is a cop—is she interesting?' <- got to be one of the worst interview questions ever. :rolleyes:

GeneChing
03-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Will this be categorized Direct-2-DVD?

Wasn't Keanu Reeves directing a kung fu movie? (http://www.examiner.com/article/wasn-t-keanu-reeves-directing-a-kung-fu-movie)
March 20, 2013
By: Casey Poma

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/51/6b/516bf9764573bb57be7dcf8ecaac12a7.jpg?itok=ZuaiP96T
In prepeartion for "The Man of Tai Chi", Keanu directs the performers of his proof-of-concept video
Credits:
Bot & Dolly

Judging from Keanu Reeves' performance of a simple-minded high schooler in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure", no one would think he was capable of martial arts. While he proved his action-hero mettle in "Speed" and "Point Break", he made everyone say "whoa" when he became a fist-throwing, leg-wielding, leather-clad phenom in "The Matrix". As he said, "I know kung fu", and we all believed him.

In late 2011, it was announced that Keanu Reeves would wire-jump onto the other side of the camera and make his directorial debut with a then-unnamed kung fu movie. In July 2012, Keanu released a video showing himself, a crew, and two stuntmen in a studio testing out one of Bot & Dolly's new motion control cameras. On an ever-moving, swiveling arm, the camera was able to spin and twirl around the two performers with awesome, stylistic results. In the video, Keanu went on to say: "the ambition for me was trying to get what I’ve seen done before with CGI and putting the camera in places where you couldn’t get. And have the flesh and blood elements there."

In the same month, it was reported that "The Raid: Redemption"'s Iko Uwais had signed on to join the adventure, which now carried the name "The Man of Tai Chi".

As of early 2013, some sites claim that Keanu filmed the movie in 2012 and that it's in an unknown stage of post-production. While this is totally possible, both the this film's imdb and Wikipedia pages are emptier than ghost towns, and no official on-set photos, stills, posters, or teasers have been released anywhere. So what's happening?

Perhaps we'll find out more when Reeves promotes his newest movie "47 Ronin", a fantastic take on the famous tale of the titular, vengeance-seeking group. Keep your eyes open for any additional news in the coming months and check out the proof-of-concept video if you haven't seen it already.

doug maverick
03-22-2013, 02:13 PM
i heard its still being shot. there was a scheduling hickup due to 47 ronins, going back for reshoots.

GeneChing
04-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Exclusive: Keanu Reeves Couldn't Use High-Tech Rig For 'Man Of Tai Chi' (http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2013/04/09/keanu-reeves-man-of-tai-chi-camera/)
Posted 6 hours ago by Kevin P. Sullivan in Interviews, News

Last we heard from Keanu Reeves and his martial arts epic of a directorial debut "Man of Tai Chi," he had wrapped principal photography, which was exciting news to anyone who saw a proof of concept video that surfaced online last summer.

For his fight sequences, Reeves intended to use a highly articulate and precise mechanical arm to take the camera above, around, and into the faces of his on-screen combatants. The results of the technique, which we saw briefly in the proof of concept, were impressive enough to make "Man of Tai Chi" something to eagerly anticipate.

But MTV News got some bad news from Reeves when speaking with him about his latest film "generation Um...." It turns out that he wasn't able to use the rig to film the fight sequences in "Man of Tai Chi." Find out why after the jump!

"It was really exciting to go into this idea. I got some feedback from [the reaction to the proof of concept]. It turns out though, ultimately, because we were filming in China, it was a lot simpler to do the proof of concept than to actually use it in the film," Reeves said. "One of the events that happened that was tough was that I wasn't able to use tool in the movie."

Keanu Reeves. Bot & Dolly. Kungfu Proof of Concept (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuvYBph4YBg)

Thankfully, you can't go from shooting an intricate fight scene with a high-tech mechanical arm to just filming the thing straight on. Reeves said his experience with the arm influenced how they eventually shot the scenes.

"It was tough. It was just too big and too much. We had to ship it to China. All sorts of practical consideration ran into the vision and the dream," he said. "It certainly influenced the way that we went forward in terms of shooting some of the fight scenes in terms of the organicness and movement of how we shot some of the fight scenes. I just couldn't go on top. [laughs] I couldn't do an overhead shot with no cut into a close up." Poor Keanu. :(

Vash
04-09-2013, 02:34 PM
I always enjoy a Keanu movie, two Matrix movies notwithstanding. Hope this and Ronin comes out soon, and isn't marred by other people stirring his pot.

GeneChing
04-16-2013, 09:18 AM
I was starting to wonder if this project was just some delusion of the Matrix.

Images for Man of Tai Chi (http://www.martialartsmoviejunkie.com/2013/04/14/images-for-man-of-tai-chi/)
by kmiller

http://www.martialartsmoviejunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Man-of-Tai-Chi-Poster.jpg

It’s been a while since we have heard about Keanu Reeves’ directorial debut film, Man of Tai Chi. The film has a lot of hype surrounding it, and many are clamoring for the latest on this project (including me.) Thankfully, some new images as well as a poster for the film have been released.

http://www.martialartsmoviejunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Man-of-Tai-Chi-31.jpg

http://www.martialartsmoviejunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Man-of-Tai-Chi-2.jpg

For those that don’t know, Man of Tai Chi stars Tiger Chen, a stuntman on the Matrix team. Choreography will be handled by the legendary Yuen Woo-Ping, who also worked on the Matrix.

http://www.martialartsmoviejunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Man-of-Tai-Chi-1.jpg

In addition to these stars, you can also expect to see Iko Uwais, Simon Yam, and Karen Mok. Reeves has a lot to prove with his debut film as a director, but his understanding of the industry and genre may prove to be a fresh breath of air for audiences. If you don’t believe me, check out this fantastic camera demo that was created for the film last year.

Man of Tai Chi Video

I think that this movie has a lot of potential, and it will be interesting to see how Hollywood responds to this type of film. Man of Tai Chi comes out later this year, so the wait won’t be too much longer. I can only hope a trailer is headed our way soon.

Vash
04-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Is Keanu . . . getting younger?

Brule
04-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Is Keanu . . . getting younger?

Whoa........

doug maverick
04-20-2013, 11:15 PM
and while the fights look cool the story really just seems over done and cony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=azbrjFq2L7w

Jimbo
04-21-2013, 07:48 AM
To be honest, it looks exactly like every other American-made MA film. Aren't there any other stories they could do that differ from the overdone tournament scenario?

doug maverick
04-21-2013, 09:16 AM
To be honest, it looks exactly like every other American-made MA film. Aren't there any other stories they could do that differ from the overdone tournament scenario?

they could have done plenty.. something original but they didnt..

GeneChing
05-03-2013, 09:17 AM
What's more is that it's always done in such a hackneyed way. It really bothers me as we now have regular tournaments with MMA, and there is so much drama in those that could be converted into an excellent screenplay, but no one seems capable of doing that. :o

Guess what?: Iko not featured in ‘Man of Tai Chi’ trailer (http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2013/04/24/guess-what-iko-not-featured-man-tai-chi-trailer.html)
The Jakarta Post | People | Wed, April 24 2013, 2:07 PM
http://www.thejakartapost.com/files/images2/p28-diko.jpg
(JP/Triwik Kurniasari)(JP/Triwik Kurniasari)Universal Pictures has released a trailer promoting Man of Tai Chi, which is produced and directed by Hollywood actor Keanu Reeves. The trailer was first shown at the Beijing International Film Festival in China.

Kompas.com reported that in the trailer, Asian movie stars Tiger Chen, Simon Yam and Karen Mok played characters in the movie. However, Indonesian action star Iko Uwais does not appear in the trailer.

Iko, who is married to singer Audi Item, played a crucial role in the movie, which was produced in cooperation with Village Roadshow Asia, China Film Group, Wanda media and Universal Picture.
Hold the phone...Audi Item?

GeneChing
05-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Another one working Cannes (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1230099#post1230099)...

Keanu Reeves' revolution: Matrix star to direct Chinese-backed kung fu film (http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/may/20/keanu-reeves-matrix-man-tai-chi-cannes)

With heavy financial support from Beijing, trilingual Man of Tai Chi aims to pack big punch at eastern and western box offices

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2013/5/20/1369061228057/Keanu-Reeves-in-Cannes-008.jpg
Keanu in Cannes: Reeves arrives for the Man of Tai Chi photocall. Photograph: Philippe Doignon/Sipa/Rex Features

In 1999, Keanu Reeves made what many people regard as his most memorable film: the Wachowski brothers' The Matrix. Now, he is making his directorial debut – and his martial arts trainer from the Matrix films is to take the starring role in the trilingual Mandarin-, Cantonese- and English-language kung fu movie, which comes with heavy financial backing from the Chinese state.

Speaking at the Cannes film festival, the 48-year-old, who will also take a leading role in the film, called Man of Tai Chi, described his love of kung fu movies. Kindled by seeing Bruce Lee classics as a child, this was later developed by working on The Matrix with his trainer, Tiger Chen, he said. "Kung fu movies are beautiful," he said, "exotic, wonderful, empowering."

"It's like play," he said of the martial art. "There's something childlike about it. They are fake fights – and that's fun." He described how he and Chen bonded during their eight-hours-a-day training sessions for The Matrix.

"He was helping me with the kicks and punches, and then we started telling each other stories," he said. Chen would describe his own martial arts master, who would tempt birds to his hand with seed and then, according to Reeves' recollection of the story, "take their chi" (or life-force).

Reeves added: "We became friends and stayed in touch. He started acting, and we decided to do something together. Over five years, we developed a story."

That story, according to Reeves, is about "a simple delivery guy" in Beijing "who, on the other hand, is a martial-arts artist". Manipulated by Reeves' sinister character, he becomes involved in underground fighting. "As his power rises," said Reeves, "we see his loss of innocence and the journey of a man who must confront himself."

Clips from the film shown in Cannes suggest spectacular fight sequences and a sleekly modern production design of blankly mysterious, grey-painted rooms, instructions barked to the hero by unseen figures behind two-way mirrors and cars driven at speed by tough-faced enigmatic women along China's freeways.

The modern setting, according to producer Lenore Syvan, was important. She said: "There hasn't been a contemporary kung fu movie made for a long time; at the same time it is a homage to the genre."

The fight scenes are choreographed by Yuen Woo Ping, who also devised the martial arts sequences in The Matrix.

The film, which was completed 10 days ago, was shot over 105 days in Beijing and Hong Kong with a multilingual cast and crew. It is hoped the movie will be that rare beast: one that will be enjoyed by a mass western and Chinese audience. It opens in China in July, with international release expected in the autumn. Syvan said she anticipated a film that would "cross borders, oceans and continents".

Reeves has a following in China, not least because of the Matrix films; he is also fondly regarded because of his ancestry (one of his great-grandparents was Chinese, he has previously stated).

On directing in languages that he does not himself speak, Reeves said, "I had to listen. The process was very collaborative, and I had great support in terms of translators." Reeves himself, he said, has a "pretty good fight in this film", and he wanted the "fighting sequences to tell the story. I saw them as acting scenes."

The Toronto-born Reeves sprang to prominence in films such as the comedy Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and Kathryn Bigelow's surfing thriller, Point Break. He recently produced and fronted Side By Side, a documentary investigating the death of photochemical film production and the rise of digital, interviewing directors such as the Wachowski brothers, Steven Soderbergh, Martin Scorsese and Danny Boyle.

GeneChing
05-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Radius reaches out for Man of Tai Chi (http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/radius-reaches-out-for-man-of-tai-chi)
By Patrick Frater
Thu, 23 May 2013, 15:17 PM (HKT)
http://www.filmbiz.asia/media/BAhbB1sHOgZmSSIxMjAxMy8wNS8yMy8wMC8xOC81OS8xMzcvS2 VhbnVfYXRfQ2FubmVzLmpwZWcGOgZFVFsIOgZwOgp0aHVtYkki DTUwMHgxMDAwBjsGVA?suffix=.jpg&sha=291b2fcd

Radius-TWC, a unit of The Weinstein Company, has acquired North American rights to Keanu REEVES' directorial debut Man of Tai Chi 太極俠.

The film is set in Beijing and Hong Kong and was made in Mandarin, Cantonese and English. The spiritual journey of a young martial artist, it stars Reeves, Tiger CHEN 陳虎, Iko UWAIS and Jeremy Marinas.

The film is a co-production between China Film Group Corporation 中國電影集團公司, Wanda Media Co Ltd 萬達影視傳媒有限公司, Village Roadshow Entertainment Group Asia 威秀電影亞洲公司 and Universal Pictures Inc. The companies screened significant footage of the new production at a promotional event in Cannes.

Radius is expected to release the film in the fourth quarter of 2013.

Isn't that what they said about 47R (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52762) last year?

mawali
05-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Now that I know more about the plot, I do not see people flocking to see this movie! The reality is that taijiquan and MMA type events do not mix well so it would be interesting to see in plot development and how they film the 'action sequences. I will wait to see previews when they come out!

GeneChing
06-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Man Of Tai Chi - Coming Soon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hMC66Jw52Dk)

KungFubar
06-13-2013, 02:56 PM
has anyone seen this? I thought this movie was completed already a few years ago. and what does it have to do with tai chi?

GeneChing
06-25-2013, 09:37 AM
...in China. :rolleyes: If Keanu can hit with this there, he'll be Hollywood's go-to man for the China market.

Keanu Reeves Kicks Off 'Man of Tai Chi' Tour (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/keanu-reeves-kicks-man-tai-573653)
9:14 AM PDT 6/22/2013 by Richard Trombly

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2013/06/the_man_of_taichi_premiere_-_h_-_2013.jpg
Richard Trombly
Left to Right: Tiger Chen, Keanu Reeves, Karen Mok and Ye Qing.
"The Matrix" actor-director spearheaded the roadshow for the action film on Friday in Beijing.

SHANGHAI – After more than five years of development and nearly one year since filming opened on the martial arts action film The Man of Tai Chi, first time helmer Keanu Reeves, 48, on Saturday kicked off an eight-city publicity tour and announced the film's July 5 premiere on screens nationwide.

“Let the show begin,” said Reeves as he unveiled the Chinese trailer, also revealing the signature one-liner of the film's villain, played by the director himself. Reeves spearheaded his promotional roadshow on Friday in Beijing at a press conference at the Headquarters of Qihoo 360 Technology Co., a local computer anti-virus and security software firm.

The official 90-second trailer for the Chinese-American co-production premiered before an audience of more than 200 Chinese and international media at a venue separate from the 16th Shanghai International Film Festival which concludes Sunday. The film promised high action and another collaboration with Tiger Chen who has worked with Reeves since the Matrix trilogy starting in 1997.

“Without Tiger [Chen] there would be no Man of Tai Chi,” said Reeves.

In the film, Chen takes the lead as a practitioner of the martial arts who must decide his path between being a pit fighter in black market fight matches and seeking the spiritual mastery of the art. He must face his personal demons even as he seeks to conquer the villain. So the film has layers of philosophy that Reeves hopes will give the film more appeal than the average summer blockbuster.

Chen is only one of several of the stars that Reeves has brought together in a promotional tour that indicates the level of commitment that the director and producers place upon this film's success in China.

“This film is more than just entertainment,” said Reeves. “It is something I hope the audience will take into their lives in a positive way.”

He said that working on a film in English, Mandarin and Cantonese was a challenge but that members of the team had worked together on past films and so there was a strong level of trust.

Karen Mok, an esteemed Hong Kong actress with more than 40 roles to her credit and a strong reputation in mainland China, also turned out to join this promotional tour-de-force. She said she was honored to act opposite Reeves and appreciated the international aspects of the film.

“Every time you work with different teams you can learn different things,” said Mok. “To work with a director with this sort of background director help a lot.” Though a first-time director, Mok noted Reeves' long acting career and said that his long years of planning paid off. She credited the smooth cooperation to the director's experience. “The production was simply better organized than most,” said Mok. “He constantly checked our safety during the stunts and directed with skill and patience.”

Relative newcomer Chinese actress Ye Qing from Love on That Day spoke of the honor in working with a leading man and director like Reeves and that there was a certain level of romance in his style. Mok concurred with that level of chemistry between people on the set.

The team will set out on their eight-city promotional tour kicking off with screenings in Shanghai followed by Hangzhou, Nanjing, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Wuhan, Dalian and concluding in Beijing. There will be events where audience members can meet the cast and director face-to-face for questions and answer sessions and certain other regional activities unique to each city.

This effort to assure the success of this film indicates how serious the producers are about the Chinese market. Man of Tai Chi was co-produced by the China Film Group, Wanda Media, Village Roadshow Pictures Asia, and Universal Pictures. It will be distributed internationally by Universal, which is owned by Comcast.

GeneChing
06-27-2013, 09:16 AM
I've been watching this film develop from an American market perspective, not considering that it's the China market that Keanu is really after. Taking this film to China IMAX is a smart move to bump up those box office receipts.

Keanu Reeves' Directorial Debut, Man of Tai Chi™, Spins Into IMAX® Theatres Across China Beginning July 5 (http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=PR&Date=20130627&ID=16645052)
June 27, 2013 7:30 AM ET

LOS ANGELES, June 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- IMAX Corporation (NYSE:IMAX; TSX:IMX), in partnership with China Film Group, Wanda Group and Village Roadshow Pictures, today announced that Man of Tai Chi, Keanu Reeves' highly anticipated directorial debut and the first Mandarin-language film to be directed by a Western actor,will be digitally re-mastered into the immersive IMAX® format and released in IMAX® theatres across China beginning July 5, with the possibility of expanding to other territories.

This action-packed contemporary drama shot in Beijing and Hong Kong depicts the spiritual journey of a young martial artist as he struggles to maintain his traditional values and beliefs against the pressures of modern society. Targeted for his fighting skill, he is lured into the dark world of underground combat by menacing forces that seek to corrupt him with money, glamour and the promise of power.

"We're happy to be back in business with our longtime partner Keanu Reeves, an advocate of The IMAX Experience® and a global star who has already proven to be very popular with our audiences," said Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Entertainment. "We look forward to working closely with Keanu and our good friends at Wanda, Village Road Show and China Film Group on this blockbuster title."

The IMAX release of Man of Tai Chi will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The crystal-clear images, coupled with IMAX's customized theatre geometry and powerful digital audio, create a unique environment that will make audiences feel as if they are in the movie.

About IMAX Corporation

IMAX, an innovator in entertainment technology, combines proprietary software, architecture and equipment to create experiences that take you beyond the edge of your seat to a world you've never imagined. Top filmmakers and studios are utilizing IMAX theatres to connect with audiences in extraordinary ways, and, as such, IMAX's network is among the most important and successful theatrical distribution platforms for major event films around the globe.

IMAX is headquartered in New York, Toronto and Los Angeles, with offices in London, Tokyo, Shanghai and Beijing. As of March 31, 2013, there were 738 IMAX theatres (606 commercial multiplexes, 19 commercial destinations and 113 institutions) in 53 countries.

IMAX®, IMAX® 3D, IMAX DMR®, Experience It In IMAX®, An IMAX 3D Experience®, The IMAX Experience® and IMAX Is Believing® are trademarks of IMAX Corporation. More information about the Company can be found at www.imax.com. You may also connect with IMAX on Facebook (www.facebook.com/imax), Twitter (www.twitter.com/imax) and YouTube (www.youtube.com/imaxmovies).

GeneChing
07-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Tai Chi defeated by Blind Detective in China (http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/tai-chi-defeated-by-blind-detective-in-china)
By Kevin Ma
Tue, 09 July 2013, 14:20 PM (HKT)

http://www.filmbiz.asia/media/BAhbB1sHOgZmSSIvMjAxMy8wNy8wOC8yMy8xMy81Mi81NTUvbW FuX29mX3RhaV9jaGkuanBnBjoGRVRbCDoGcDoKdGh1bWJJIg01 MDB4MTAwMAY7BlQ?suffix=.jpg&sha=5038c74b
New release Blind Detective 盲探, directed by Johnnie TO 杜琪峰, edged into the top spot at the China box office this weekend.

In its first four days of release, the mystery-romcom made RMB84.4 million (US$13.7 million), replacing GUO Jingming 郭敬明's Tiny Times 小時代 as the weekend box office winner. Guo's adaptation of his own novel has made RMB418 million (US$68.1 million) after 11 days on release.

Meanwhile, Keanu REEVES ' Man of Tai Chi 太極俠 (pictured) — released simultaneously on IMAX screens — made only RMB17.8 million (US$2.9 million) in its first three days. It ranked below Man of Steel and Badges of Fury 不二神探, both of which were in their third weekend of release. It did open ahead of The Deadly Strands 咒・絲 and Singing When We are Young 初戀未滿, both on limited screens.

In Hong Kong, Blind made HK$6.47 million (US$833,000) from 40 screens over the same four-day period. It was third-placed, behind animated comedy Despicable Me 2 (HK$11.1 million from 34 screens) and Man of Steel (HK$7.26 million from 37 screens).

Yesterday Once More 龍鳳鬥 (2004) – the last film to pair stars Andy LAU 劉德華 and Sammi CHENG 鄭秀文 – made HK$6.58 million from 61 screens in its first four days of release. It made HK$15.3 million (US$1.97 million) after 25 days in cinemas.

Film Review: ‘Man of Tai Chi’ (http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/film-review-man-of-tai-chi-1200558029/)
July 8, 2013 | 07:00PM PT
Tiger Chen gives a technically dazzling display of human combat in Keanu Reeves' otherwise workmanlike directing debut.
Maggie Lee
http://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/man-of-tai-chi-19.jpg?w=490&h=276&crop=1

There’s little in the way of drama, character depth or mise-en-scene to distract from Tiger Chen’s technically dazzling display of human combat in Keanu Reeves’ helming debut, “Man of Tai Chi.” As a vehicle for Hollywood action choreographer Chen to show off his prowess as a gullible tai-chi student lured into underground fight clubs, this China-U.S. co-production is the real deal for hardcore chopsocky fans, and will slot easily into genre ancillary. But Reeves’ workmanlike direction doesn’t boast enough style or originality for this actioner to significantly cross over to the mainstream.

With no confirmed date for a Stateside bow, the Beijing/Hong Kong-set pic premiered in China with only a 12.7% screen occupancy, facing stiff competition from the likes of the phenomenally successful teen drama “Tiny Times” and Johnnie To’s “Blind Detective.” Opening day B.O. produced a lame $872,000, half of what To’s action-comedy earned when it was released a day earlier.
Get Keanu Reeves News and alerts free to your inbox Learn More >>

The original idea for this project reportedly sprang from Reeves’ desire to pay tribute to his friend and trainer, Chen (aka Chen Hu). The Sichuan-born martial-arts champion is a protege of esteemed action director Yuen Woo-ping, and was largely responsible for the action choreography on “The Matrix” series, “Kill Bill” and “Charlie’s Angels,” among others. With Yuen taking the reins in “Man of Tai Chi,” Chen provides a thorough overview of martial-arts schools and combat techniques, but as an actor, he doesn’t possess Jet Li or Donnie Yen’s charisma. Similarly, the crew — consisting of American, Hong Kong and mainland Chinese collaborators — does professional work, but delivers neither the spectacle expected of a Hollywood blockbuster nor the quirky charm and kinetic energy of classic Hong Kong actioners.

The theme and storyline are utterly generic — the corruption of a noble spirit by his thirst for winning. It begins with a scene of brutal man-to-man combat in a cell, where fighter Chi-tak (Jeremy Marinas) thrashes his opponent; when he refuses to “finish him off,” as ordered by an unseen game master, he is stabbed by a man (Reeves) in a mask. Led by Hong Kong police superintendent Suen Jing-si (Karen Mok), a SWAT team raids the premises but finds nothing. Jing-si appeals to her chief (Simon Yam) to help locate Chi-tak, who’s actually her mole, but the case is unceremoniously closed.

The masked man turns out to be Donaka Mark, a financial high roller from the U.S. who runs a covert fight club in Hong Kong. In search of a replacement for Chi-tak, he chances upon the TV broadcast of a Chinese national martial-arts championship. Chen Linhu (Chen), sole disciple of the Lingkong School of Tai Chi, impresses him not only with his innovative moves, but also his innocence. Although he holds a stressful, low-paid job as a courier in Beijing, Linhu declines the offer to compete in Donaka’s underground matches, deeming it dishonorable. However, when the temple guarded by his master (Yu Hai) faces demolition unless costly renovations are made, Donaka’s offer of quick cash suddenly becomes easy bait.

To the credit of Reeves and scribe Michael G. Cooney, the film respectfully avoids exoticism or oriental mysticism in its portrayal of its martial-arts milieu, only slipping in small, tolerable does of Taoist and Qigong philosophy. The fighting never feels repetitive as it alternates between proper Chinese kung fu and a fusion of no-holds-barred, MMA-inflected styles. With its rapid-fire, virtually nonstop mortal combat, the film recalls Gareth Evans’ Indonesia-set “The Raid: Redemption,” although “Man’s” less callous, more humanist approach toward violence is what will prevent it from achieving the same sort of cult success. (“The Raid” star Iko Uwais even makes a guest appearance here as Linhua’s opponent, but his role is squandered, as what should be the crowning showdown is cut short for a less exciting settling of the score with Donaka.)

Chen, who possesses extraordinary strength and agility, convincingly expresses his character’s loss of inner balance and growing bloodlust through body language, moving from the graceful formalism of tai chi to ugly, predatory moves as his opponents become more intimidating. The drawback is that lenser Elliot Davis’ stark framing and unswerving focus on the action tends to give short shrift to the identities and personalities of the other fighters.

Considering how basic the plot is, Derek Hui’s brisk editing keeps the story moving along smoothly enough, but the characters’ interactions are too superficial to engage. When he’s not kicking ass, Chen is wooden around the other thesps, and especially with the vacant Ye Qing as Linhu’s love interest. Only Yu’s sage countenance and dignified poise transcend the elementary martial-arts philosophy espoused here; a revered martial artist who had a memorable role in the seminal “Shaolin Temple” series that propelled Jet Li to stardom, he contributes some of the film’s most magnificent tai chi demonstrations.

As the demonic figure who brings out the dark side of Linhu, Reeves is stiff and expressionless, never really registering as a catalyst for the good-vs.-evil conflict that should have formed the film’s dramatic backbone. As the cop who uncovers Donaka’s nefarious dealings, Mok is given little to work with, but she still shows some spunk and agility when one least expects it.

Famed Nipponese production designer Yohei Taneda gives some of the sets a surreal look reminiscent of “The Matrix’s” cyberworld; others, such as the fighting arenas, remain minimalist and functional. Except for some panoramic shots of Hong Kong’s skylines at night, the city emerges with scant distinct color; by contrast, the Beijing locations feel more authentic, avoiding touristy sights in favor of congested highways and lived-in neighborhoods. The concussive score, mixing techno with Canto-rap and sometimes just blasts of noise, is in keeping with the bombast typical of so many Hong Kong composers. Other tech credits are pro.

Film Review: 'Man of Tai Chi'
Reviewed at Sanlitun Megabox, Beijing, July 5, 2013. Running time: 104 MIN. Original title: "Taiji xia"
Production
(China-U.S.) A China Film Group/Wanda Media (in China)/Village Roadshow Pictures Asia (in Australia)/Radius-TWC (in U.S.) release of a China Film Group, Wanda Media Village Roadshow Pictures Asia, Universal, Company Films presentation of a China Film Group, Wanda Media, Universal production. Produced by Lemore Syvan, Zhang Daxing. Executive producers, Han Sanping, Zhao Fang, Ellen Eliasoph.
Crew
Directed by Keanu Reeves. Screenplay, Michael G. Cooney. Camera (color, widescreen, HD), Elliot Davis; editor, Derek Hui; music, Chan Kwong-wing; production designer, Yohei Taneda; art directors, Fu Yingzhang, Miyuki Kitagawa; costume designer, Joseph Porro; sound (Dolby Digital); action choreographer, Yuen Woo-ping; stunt coordinator, Chan Siu-wah; line producers, Johnny Lee, Sharon Miller; assistant director, Fei Wong; second unit director, Lee Peipei; second unit camera, Dai Runguang; casting, PoPing Auyeung.
With
Keanu Reeves, Tiger Chen, Karen Mok, Yu Hai, Ye Qing, Simon Yam, Sam Lee, Iko Uwais, Jeremy Marinas. (English, Mandarin, Cantonese dialogue)
Iko AND Yu Hai (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=687)? And still nothing? Oh Keanu, you should have taken the blue pill.

GeneChing
07-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Who's gonna get that first forum review for this one?

Keanu Reeves talks about his directorial debut, Man of Tai Chi (http://www.pep.ph/guide/guide/12216/keanu-reeves-talks-about-his-directorial-debut-man-of-tai-chi)
posted on July 13, 2013

http://contents.pep.ph/images2/guide/42ff90a1f.jpg
Photo By: Courtesy of United International Pictures / Solar Entertainment Corp.

PRESS STATEMENT FROM SOLAR:

"Keanu Reeves says that he was motivated to direct his first film Man of Tai Chi because the story is close to his heart and vision.

"The origins of the story date back nearly fifteen years, to when martial artist Tiger Chen Hu met Keanu Reeves while working as part of the stunt team for The Matrix.

"Their friendship developed over the course of the trilogy of films, with Tiger eventually assuming more prominent stunt roles, impressing Reeves with his work ethic and imagination. “I had to do Kung Fu training with Tiger, and he would tell me stories about his Tai Chi master and his unusual training methods,” Reeves recalls today. “That lead to a lot of deeper conversations about the Tao of life, Chi, martial arts, everything.” It was from these initial conversations that the two eventually decided to collaborate on a screen play that would not just feature Tai Chi as a device or excuse for high-octane fight and action sequences, but actually reflect the martial art’s philosophical values within the story.

“We decided to work together. And over the years we developed a story that eventually came so close to my heart and my vision that I wanna to direct it. It became a story that I want to tell."

"Tiger Chen Hu believes that the character Tiger’s struggle is something that most audience will be able to relate to, even if they have no experience with martial arts or the underlying philosophy of taiji. “It’s easy to get trapped by the idea of money and power,” says Chen Hu. “Young people like money, smoking, drinking, but all that stuff is excess in the world. But you can’t just say, 'Oh, I’m forbidden to know so I will just stay in my temple of purity.' If you want to be completely Taoist, you have to go taste that. You have to go through the journey, to see it through, otherwise you aren’t really part of the full life.”

"In addition to borrowing his own nickname for the character and collaborating with Reeves and screenwriter Michael G. Cooney on the script, Chen Hu also was happy to lend his own perspective and experience to help flesh out the story. “Tiger is about eighty percent me, my experiences, my personality, I think,” he says today. “Keanu said we don’t have to make another person, we’ll just put you into the story. So it was easy for him to ask me questions like ‘what would you feel like in this situation,’ and I could answer.”

"These conversations were often held across oceans and continents via video chat, leading to some unusual hours for Tiger to contemplate the fate of his character: “It would be the middle of the night when I would start these calls, and Keanu and Michael would be talking about the story. They’d ask me through the computer, ‘how would you feel’ and I’d answer, and they’d go back to talking and I’d fall asleep on the call. Then, a half hour later, they’d shout ‘Tiger!’ and ask me another question.”

"Like his film’s namesake, Chen Hu trained in Tai Chi as a youth before moving on to other forms of martial arts in order to develop himself as a stunt artist and film professional. “Two years before we started filming, I went to another Tai Chi master to specifically train for the role of Tiger,” he recalls. “Tai Chi is a very unique martial art with a different philosophy: you are always trying to use the opponent’s power; you have to wait for the opponent to punch, kick, whatever, to throw power at you, so you can give the power back—you never attack first.”

"Because of the complexity of Tai Chi as a martial art, Chen Hu, Reeves, and master fight coordinator Yuen Wo Ping (another Matrix veteran and a legendary fight choreographer and film director) had to ask themselves unusual questions when creating the fight sequences for Man of Tai Chi.

“I think it’s the first time you have MMA [Mixed Martial Arts] style versus Tai Chi,” says Chen-Hu. “And, of course, we have to make all of the fights different from one another, so it’s not just the same moves over and over. Finally, you also have to tell the story, to live the journey through Tiger.”

"This would lead Reeves to ask Hu-Chen questions that are unfamiliar to most fighters used to basic stunt fighting: “Keanu would ask me ‘why do you have to kick?’ That’s a hard question to answer….why do you have to throw the punch or the kick now, at this moment.” “The fighting scenes had to express that journey,” adds Reeves. “Where Tiger is emotionally, and that got into the specifics of where you are in your head, what style of martial arts are you fighting, what are you feeling during the fight, and how do you change as a result of this fight? Every scene had to have change and development of the character going into the fight sequences.”

"Ultimately, Reeves was very impressed with Chen Hu’s ability to render Tiger not only in terms of martial artistry, but also in terms of emotional vulnerability. “Tiger is a very talented actor,” Reeves avers, noting that even as a stuntman on The Matrix films, he was able to immediately understand the need for playing a character and not just executing the physical moves. “I saw him do some work with Laurence Fishburne, and I could tell that he knew what it took to shoot a scene, to be on a movie set. So acting wasn’t unfamiliar to him; and in terms of the character work, he was so open and committed, and he completely understood the role.”

"Reeves cites one fight sequence where Hu-Chen’s performance during the shooting forced Reeves to reconsider the way the scene would be shot: “The way he looked at his opponent, I had to change the way we filmed the fight…that came from Tiger’s understanding of the character and the situation, and being alive as an actor. I look forward to see what he’s going to do with his acting in the future.”

"For Reeves, it wasn’t simply a matter of guiding Chen Hu, a stunt man largely unused to the demands of a leading man who must carry the emotional weight of the film. He also had to supervise an international crew, most of whom who spoke an unfamiliar language, as well as bring weight and meaning to the role of Donaka Mark, the film’s shadowy antagonist.

“One of my feelings about acting and directing at the same time is that as a director, you are really looking outward. You have something internal, an idea, a feeling, and you look outward and you collaborate. As an actor, you have a perspective of the outside but you’re looking at your place in it from this internal perspective. So it’s almost like having two sets of eyes. It was a new world for me, but it was a really great world to explore.”

Man of Tai Chi is released and distributed by United International Pictures through Solar Entertainment Corp.

PalmStriker
07-17-2013, 07:23 PM
So, maybe John Woo should have been talked into directing this film? Seems like :) the Chinese movie goers transmit the so-so vibes through quantum connectivity faster than you can say deem sum dumplings. Action film star turned director has it's charm, though. Eastwood comes to mind. Investors may start chasing after the executive producer of Tai Chi Man to use some Tai Chi on him.

Minghequan
07-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Seen it. Not what I would have expected from Reeves. Pretty average in terms of story and action.

GeneChing
07-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Or did you see it by other means, Mhq?

Posted on 05:42 PM, July 18, 2013
By Mike Davidson, Reuters
Keanu Reeves makes director debut with modern Kung Fu film (http://www.bworldonline.com/weekender/content.php?id=73576)

CANNES -- He’s played a science-fiction hero, policeman and even Hamlet. But now actor Keanu Reeves is taking on a new role -- as director of a contemporary martial arts movie aimed at both Chinese and Western audiences.

http://adserver.bworldonline.com/webpics/articles/image/20130718b0b4d.jpg
A scene from Man of Tai Chi

Reeves has stepped behind the camera to make his directorial debut with Man of Tai Chi, a trilingual film loosely based on the life of a stuntman, Tiger Chen, whom he befriended while working on the sci-fi The Matrix trilogy.

Earlier this year when he was at the Cannes film festival to promote his new movie, Reeves said he knew he had always wanted to try directing and spent five years developing the script.

"It was also tied to getting older," Reeves, 48, who was long one of Hollywood’s most glamorous action stars, told Reuters Television in an interview at a hotel on Cannes palm-lined waterfront.

He said the main character of the film, in which he also acts, is a stuntman and martial arts expert, struggling to maintain his traditional values and beliefs against the pressures of modern society. This character is played by Chen.

http://www.bworldonline.com/webpics/articles/image/Man_of_Tai_Chi_14.jpg

Reeves plays the villain who lures him into underground fighting and the promises of money, glamour and power.

The film, made in English, Cantonese and Mandarin and filmed in China and Hong Kong, is meant to appeal to both the huge market in China, where Reeves won fans with Matrix and for having a Chinese great-grandparent, and in Western countries.

Man of Tai Chi was co-produced by the China Film Group, Wanda Media, Village Roadshow Pictures Asia and Universal Pictures and will be distributed internationally by Universal.

Clips from the movie suggested there would be big fight sequences and high-speed car chases along Chinese highways, as could be expected from the star of the 1994 thriller Speed.

"I loved the responsibility of telling a story," said the Canadian-born Reeves. "I hope I get the chance to do it again."

MTRCB Rating: R-13

GeneChing
07-24-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm not familiar with Fantastic Fest. Anyone here ever been to it?

July 24, 2013 | Meredith Borders
Announcing The Fantastic Fest 2013 First Wave Of Programming: MAN OF TAI CHI And More (http://fantasticfest.com/news/entry/announcing-the-fantastic-fest-2013-first-wave-of-programming-man-of-tai-chi)

http://cf.drafthouse.com/_uploads/galleries/32354/man_of_tai_chi__full.jpg

It's happening! It's really happening!

This is my favorite time of year, when the Fantastic Fest announcements start heating up. Okay, that's a lie - Fantastic Fest itself is my favorite time of year. But that period from July to September starts to feel like the weeks before Christmas, that heady anticipation you'd feel as a kid seeing the wrapped presents begin to pile up under the tree. And this particular present, the First Wave of Programming, is a doozy. MAN OF TAI CHI! CHEAP THRILLS! KID'S POLICE! I'd better stop listing titles or I'll just name all of them.

So yes, MAN OF TAI CHI will be hitting screens at Fantastic Fest this year, with Keanu Reeves in person! Kind of a big deal, you guys. Here's what you need to know about the film:

Keanu Reeves stars in and makes his directorial debut in the multi-lingual narrative, MAN OF TAI CHI. Partly inspired by the life of Reeves’ friend, stuntman Tiger Chen, MAN OF TAI CHI tells the story of a young martial artist whose unparalleled Tai Chi skills land him in a highly lucrative underground fight club. As the fights intensify so does his will to survive and his desire to protect his way of life.

You can find more scoop about the film here. Read about our opening night film, Robert Rodriguez's MACHETE KILLS, here.

We're really thrilled with the lineup this year, and this is just the first wave of titles. Fantastic Fest Founder and creative director Tim League has more to add:

“Every year we scour the globe for the freshest and craziest genre films. This first incredible selection of films gives a small taste of the fun, but I can assure you there are lots of surprises yet to come. 2013 should be remembered as a vintage year for Fantastic Fest.”

So keep your eyes glued to fantasticfest.com, @fantasticfest and Fantastic Fest on Facebook for loads more announcements, and read on for the First Wave titles below!

GeneChing
08-15-2013, 09:55 AM
I just got the following press release.

Please note that all the release dates are tentative and subject to change. The release dates below, except where noted, are for NY & LA.

MAN OF TAI CHI (VOD: SEPTEMBER 27, 2013 & THEATRICAL: NOVEMBER 1, 2013– Markets TBD) RADiUS-TWC
Genre: Action
Director: Keanu Reeves
Featuring: Keanu Reeves, Tiger Hu Chen, Karen Mok

Keanu Reeves stars and makes his directorial debut in this epic tale about a young martial artist who must compete in an underground fight club to protect his way of life. As the fights intensify, so does his will to survive.

MightyB
08-15-2013, 11:25 AM
watched the trailer again and I can't get past the feeling that this movie is going to be EPICally terrible.

xinyidizi
08-15-2013, 04:28 PM
I watched it a few days ago. The fight scenes were pretty good and fortunately didn't have much story.

Hebrew Hammer
08-16-2013, 11:41 AM
This wasn't bad actually, it did have very much a 'Matrix' feel to it. Keanu's character, I affectionatey referred to him as Blue Tooth Neo, was essentially a millionare mogul Neo substitute a Blue Tooth for the sunglasses.

To be honest it was the most impressive display of Tai Chi I've ever seen :D. The protagonist was Tiger Chen, a man of few words who never saw a fight he didn't like. That's one of the biggest detractors of this film, the dialogue was very simplistic probably could have been written by a High School Senior and the plot was also uncomplicated.

Tiger gets into both legal and underground bare knuckle fighting to save this Master's school, of which it appears he's the only student. The fight scenes were fun, dynamic, and despite being bare knuckled completely devoid of blood shed. I would have liked to see some slow motion scenes where he would try to be 'like water' with his Tai Chi or demonstrate well rooted imovability which I've read about famous Tai Chi masters.

I also enjoyed the interaction between Tiger Chen and his Master, very much a kin to Neo and Morpheous from the Matrix movies. After watching this film you will know that MMA doesn't hold a candle to Tai Chi.

Total ranking: 7 out of 10 Bawangs

GeneChing
08-19-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm a little late to the boat with this, but I concur with the 'wasn't bad' camp. The nice thing about the ol' 'underground fight' motif is that it allows for a lot of fights and Tiger Hu choreographed by Yuen Woo-Ping is entertaining enough. Of course, being that we are in the era of MMA, why filmmakers insist on this old plot line escapes me. Was there 18 fights? Well, I forgot to count, but there might have been. There were a lot of fights. The fights aren't realistic (it's Tai Chi (http://www.martialartsmart.com/tai-chi-taiji-dvd.html) beating down MMA (http://www.martialartsmart.com/mma-gear.html) after all) but they do have that signature YWP style, that crazy cartoon Kung Phu Physics that only YWP can deliver. It's got some amusing wire work, and Tiger has some moves for sure. He can't act, but when has that ever stopped a martial arts star? And Keanu as the villain? Well, it would have been better for me if he just wore the villain mask (not a spoiler as it is revealed to be him early in the film) all the time as it had more acting range. I did like the juxtaposition of the underground fighting world against the conventional Chinese sparring tournaments, even though again, it was way off the mark. I liked Yu Hai (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=687)'s part. Ultimately he delivers the best performance, both in acting and in his Kung Fu (but I'm a big fan of his). Iko Uwais was totally wasted - in fact, I didn't even remember it was him until after seeing the film and reviewing this thread. It's a small inconsequential cameo. Same goes for Simon Yam. As for Karen Mok, she was only moderately annoying, but that's my own personal issue with her. There were some nice set pieces, especially the opulent underground fight stage on the cargo ship, and I liked how it captured modern China, sort of like in the new Karate Kid (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=902), the cluttered architecture was there, but everything was a lot cleaner. As for the Tai Chi, it was variations on Chen, not Ling Kong Tai Chi, but given how the plot evolves with Yu Hai, I can totally understand why that liberty was taken. Could have used a swordfight.

All in all, not bad. I was entertained despite Keanu. There were enough fights to keep it rolling. I'm not sure how well it will play in the U.S. Tiger lacks the charisma of a major star, at least here. But as a Kung Fu flick, it's ok.

GeneChing
09-04-2013, 08:19 AM
There's another trailer if you follow the hyperlink.

Video: Martial arts movie 'Man of Tai Chi' 3rd trailer (http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/357643)
By Can Tran
Sep 3, 2013 - 14 hours ago in Entertainment

A new trailer has been released for the upcoming martial arts movie, directed by Keanu Reeves, "Man of Tai Chi." It will hit iTunes on September 27 before a November 1 limited theatrical screening.
A third trailer, the newest trailer, has been released for the upcoming Chinese martial arts movie called “Man of Tai Chi.” This film is the first film ever directed by Keanu Reeves. Man of Tai Chi, which stars Tiger Hu Chen as the main character, will be available on iTunes come September 27. There will be a limited theatrical screening on November 1. Man of Tai Chi brings Reeves and Chen together as the two of them worked together in the Matrix Trilogy (“The Matrix,” “The Matrix: Reloaded,” and “The Matrix: Revolutions” with the former playing the main hero Neo and the latter who trained the actors in the martial arts.
In this movie, Chen plays himself as Tiger Chen while Reeves plays the movie's antagonist Donaka Mark. Mark, who heads up a security firm, makes money on the side running an illegal underground fight club in with martial artists fight each other to the death with wealthy clients paying top dollar to watch the bouts. Tiger, a user of Tai Chi Chuan, gets dragged into it by Mark. Man of Tai Chi definitely has a lot of fight scenes. Fall and Winter will be rather busy for Reeves; this December, Reeves' newest movie “47 Ronin” hits theaters.

GeneChing
09-10-2013, 08:36 AM
And there are a few new reviews in the wake...

Man of Tai Chi: Toronto 2013 – first look review (http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/09/man-of-tai-chi-toronto-2013)
Keanu Reeves' directorial debut plays out as an astounding martial arts showcase and a lousy Hong Kong cop thriller

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/9/9/1378765631720/Man-of-Tai-Chi--010.jpg
Reducing stress, improving mobility ... Man of Tai Chi, directed by Keanu Reeves.
Care homes take note! Tai chi will reduce stress, improve general mobility and – according to Keanu Reeves's directorial debut – let practitioners send a Russian boxer the size of a phone box sprawling.

Funded by the China Film Group and starring Reeves' Matrix fight choreographer and friend, Man of Tai Chi plays out as an astounding martial arts showcase and a lousy Hong Kong cop thriller. Tiger Hu Chen stars as delivery driver, Tiger Chen Lin-Hu, who moonlights as a fists-for-hire fight star. Reeves appears as Donaka Mark, the black-suited corporate kingpin who recruits Chen, coaxes him into using his gift for monetary gain, then broadcasts his spiritual descent on the internet for an audience of super-rich fight fans. Chen's tai chi teacher, Master Yang (Yu Hai), balances Keanu's Yin. Karen Mok plays the honest cop hoping to shut down the fight ring and return tai chi to its rightful place in the parks of north London.

Man of Tai Chi is all hard rock and fast cars, blinding fight scenes and soul-crushing dialogue. It's rarely on-point, frequently absurd. But it displays passion by the fistful. Chen – a blur of limbs in battle – holds the lead with a quiet soulfulness. Fans of Keanu's unique acting style will thrill at his new special move: howling maniacally into the camera. You have to love the guy. Only Keanu could make a character as overwrought as Donaka Mark as compelling as a dial tone.

Action specialist Yuen Woo-ping directs the fight scenes with an eye on packing in the punches without shedding too much blood to up the age rating. Stars of MMA, Taekwondo and Indonesian pencak silat (represented by a special appearance from The Raid star Iko Uwais) flit across Chen's path to receive their pummelling before dropping back into one of the many plot holes.

Reeves rolls into directing with amateurish enthusiasm. He slaps on the jump cuts, riddles the film with time lapse photography and strobe effects. Only rarely does any of it hit home, mostly it tumbles into parody. The moneyed fight fans are shown a greatest hits reel of Tiger's evolution as a fighter. "Temple, Money, Power," reads the on-screen text. "Kill". The voiceover announces the name Tiger Chen. I was waiting for it to say "Der-ek Zoo-land-er".

There's no fun to be had in attacking Reeves or his ambition. He's put his passion on display, you feel churlish ripping it down. But Man of Tai Chi presents a director trying everything to achieve anything. His Chi is restless, his balance off. "Slower," says tai chi teacher Yang. "Slower, slower". Sage advice, master.

Lucas
09-30-2013, 01:56 PM
I watched this last night.

It has that classic martial art movie theme: Good guy gets caught up in underground fighting, has a need to continue, does so.

The choreography is nice, as always from Woo-Ping, Yuen. Some nice stylized fights with various styles. They did a good job finding the right people to fill the roles of the two characters that perform Taiji.

Taijiquan fans should all watch this movie, as it is a great showcase for Taiji in a kungfu movie. (you dont see this much)

Light wire work, but done well.

There was a light attempt to address the 'mma' aspect of fighting, but very light, for the most part, this is a traditionally styled kungfu movie.

Keanu Reeves plays the villain, which you find out immediately in the film. Imagine Neo, but mean.

The over all message in this movie is a positive one however. There is a lightheartedness to the main character which draws you in to liking him right away.

I don't really rate things, but if we go by a strict thumbs up or thumbs down approach, I give this one a thumbs up. It should be a light fun watch for any fan of kungfu movies.

And who doesnt love watching a product of Woo-Ping?!

IMO don't go into watching this for keanu reeves, you will disappoint yourself, but rather, watch this for Lin-Hu, Chen and what Woo-Ping does with his skills. It's shiny.

GeneChing
10-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Man of Tai Chi (http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/Man-of-Tai-Chi/4700603279692336112/movies#filter=online&episode=Video-47974979786) 2013 R

Chinese with English subtitles. Keanu Reeves stars in a tale about a martial artist who competes in a fight club. As the fights intensify so does his will to survive. Keanu Reeves, Tiger Hu Chen.

Watch with XFINITY ON DEMAND™
I caught this promo Keanu did for Xfinity that totally put me off in that weird annoying way of Keanu's. It was like Keanu trying to be all martial arts tough by doing an impersonation of Seagal. :o

GeneChing
10-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Keanu’s Excellent Directing Adventure (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/20/movies/keanu-reeves-was-actor-and-director-for-man-of-tai-chi.html?_r=0)
Keanu Reeves was Actor and Director for ‘Man of Tai Chi’

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/10/20/arts/20KEANU1_SPAN/20KEANU1-articleLarge.jpg
K.C. Chan/RADiUS-TWC
Keanu Reeves, right, directing Tiger Hu Chen on the set of “Man of Tai Chi,” a martial arts film Mr. Reeves both directs
and stars in.
By DAVID MARCHESE
Published: October 18, 2013

Keanu Reeves shuffled onto the terrace of a high-rise in the financial district of Manhattan, tossed a rumpled pack of American Spirit cigarettes and a half-eaten Clif Bar on the coffee table, and gingerly lowered himself onto the couch. Tall, with scruffy beard and mustache, he’d returned to this temporary home fresh from intense fight training for his next project, a thriller called “John Wick.” With wisps of gray visible in the long, dark brown hair, the 49-year-old Mr. Reeves called himself, multiple times, “a salty dog” of the film business, and if he’s embracing the real-life role of grizzled lifer, he’s also relishing the confidence that comes with experience.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/10/20/arts/20KEANU2/20KEANU2-popup.jpg
RADiUS-TWC
Mr. Chen and Mr. Reeves in the movie.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/10/20/arts/20KEANU3/20JPKEANU1-popup.jpg
Universal Pictures
Keanu Reeves in “47 Ronin.”

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/10/20/arts/20KEANU4/20KEANU4-popup-v2.jpgK.C. Chan/RADiUS-TWC
Mr. Reeves on the set of “Man of Tai Chi,” his directing debut.

The laid-back star was describing a moment when he went off-script in his latest film, the steely martial arts action picture “Man of Tai Chi.” As a master watching his protégé lose his innocence, “I wanted to take a risk and show something elemental,” he said. “So I improvised and let out a demon scream. It was freeing. Some people on set were like, ‘Really?’ ” Mr. Reeves gave a boyish grin. “But the director liked it.”

In this instance actor and director were one and the same. “Man of Tai Chi,” opening on Nov. 1, represents a key point in Mr. Reeves’s transition from leading man to behind-the-scenes player. The film, his directorial debut, stars Mr. Reeves’s friend and the former “Matrix” trilogy stuntman Tiger Hu Chen as a Chinese deliveryman and student of traditional combat styles seduced into entering the high-tech world of illegal prizefighting by the darkly mysterious master Donaka Mark.

Shot in Hong Kong and Beijing, with dialogue in English, Mandarin and Cantonese, the film represented a rare opportunity for Mr. Reeves, who has been more hands-on with his projects of late, co-producing and co-starring in a small romantic comedy, “Henry’s Crime” (2011), and co-producing and conducting on-camera interviews for “Side by Side” (2012), a brainy documentary about the movie industry’s shift from film to digital. (An unabashed movie-tech geek, Mr. Reeves giddily rubbed his hands together when discussing different shutter angles and frame rates in “Man of Tai Chi.”)

“I was never the kind of actor who was only interested in my own performance and that’s it,” said Mr. Reeves, dressed in an olive-green military-style jacket, black cargo pants and heavy boots. “I’ve always enjoyed being on sets and seeing where the camera was going and looking at the shooting schedule and understanding how the production is put together and how I fit into the story as a whole.”

Mr. Reeves spent years “carrying the begging bowl,” as he put it, seeking financing for this “allegory about the pressures and seductions of the modern world,” themes not terribly dissimilar from those of “Side by Side.” When the opportunity to make “Man of Tai Chi” arose — thanks largely to a deal with the state-run China Film Group — he was ready. A lifelong fan of martial arts movies with fond memories of seeing “Five Fingers of Death” and “Enter the Dragon” in Times Square theaters with his stepfather, he explained: “I’ve been doing this for a while. I didn’t feel like I had to make the phone call to anybody asking” — here he feigned panic — “ ‘What do I do?’ I felt like I could see the forest and trees.”

This shift from actor fully capable of throwing a bullet-time punch or two as Neo in the “Matrix” movies to filmmaker made sense to Carl Rinsch, who directed Mr. Reeves in the coming 3-D samurai spectacle “47 Ronin,” due Christmas Day. “When I signed on to work with Keanu it was clear I was getting not an actor but a collaborator,” Mr. Rinsch said. “Keanu was there for script development and preproduction. He’s got this enthusiasm for the entire process that really brings you back to the joy and naïveté all filmmakers had when they were kids making movies in their backyard.”

For Mr. Chen, who had little acting experience, Mr. Reeves’s passion for that process was pulse quickening: “Keanu wanted me to go over the top with my energy every take. If I went 100 percent, it wasn’t enough. I had to go 120 percent. After scenes I’d feel like I was having a heart attack. ”

There are those for whom the concept of acting advice from Keanu Reeves may register as a sort of one-hand-clapping Zen koan. It’s hard to think of another major star for which the question of whether they’re actually any good at their job remains open to debate. Witness the longevity of the popular “Point Break Live!” theater parody, wherein audience members are invited to take on the role of Mr. Reeves’s character, Johnny Utah (cue the clueless California-dude accents). In 2011 the critics A. O. Scott and Manohla Dargis of The New York Times entertained the question, “Is Keanu Reeves a good bad actor or a bad good actor?”

“I get it totally,” Mr. Reeves said. “People say, ‘Another inscrutable deadpan performance.’ I mostly find these things amusing. Something like ‘Point Break Live!’ is a funny idea, I can understand that. Ultimately you hope that people like what you do. It’s a drag when they don’t. The weirdest thing for me is when people assume that I’m the person I’m playing. So then it becomes, ‘You wanted my performance to be different, but you also didn’t think it was a performance?’ That’s puzzling to me.”

Mr. Reeves leaned forward on the couch and let his lank hair cover his face. “Maybe it’s because I did ‘Bill and Ted’ so early in my career and that stuck with people,” he said wryly. “Maybe my performance was too good.”

The director Alex Winter, who played Bill in the aforementioned 1989 buddy comedy “Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure” and the 1991 follow-up, “Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey,” said that the popular notion of his longtime friend as some sort of beautiful cipher is misguided. “He’s one of the brightest and most engaged actors I know,” Mr. Winter said. “Just look at the thing he chose to do for the first movie he directed. He didn’t do some small two-hander. He did a logistically complex martial arts film. The idea of him being either Bill or Neo or just a pretty face is wildly inaccurate. Just because he doesn’t talk publicly about his internal life and interests doesn’t mean they don’t exist.”

The “Bill & Ted” screenwriters, Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon, have completed a script for a third film about those two big-hearted dim bulbs from San Dimas, Calif., and Mr. Winter said, he, the writers and Mr. Reeves were working to get it financed.

“Wouldn’t it be surreal to meet those dudes again?” asked a beaming Mr. Reeves.

Before then, the Beirut-born, Toronto-raised Mr. Reeves will be seen in “47 Ronin” as Kai, a half-Japanese, half-English outcast who joins a band of banished warriors on a revenge mission. It’s his first big-budget Hollywood studio film since “The Day the Earth Stood Still” in 2008, a gap he admits was not necessarily his choice. “I wasn’t being asked to do things,” he said with a shrug. “Some things came up, but they weren’t intriguing. I wasn’t going to sit around and wait for an amazing studio project to appear. I’m a creative person, and I want to make stuff. It just so happened that the things I was interested in making and that I had an opportunity to make were lovely films like ‘A Scanner Darkly’ and ‘Thumbsucker.’ ”

Mr. Reeves explained that he had hopes, rather than plans, of directing again, and for now is enjoying wearing the actor’s hat. That has recently required some practice. After the interview for this article, Mr. Reeves would be off to a shooting range for some “John Wick” firearms training.

“I’ve crossed seas and oceans,” Mr. Reeves declared in a mock tragic English accent as he rose creakily from the couch. “I’m a hardened vet.”

Then he returned to his regular voice. “The truth is I have no cynicism,” he said. “At my core, I’m still in love with acting and the movies.”

Y'all caught Keanu on Kimmel, yes?
Keanu Reeves Defends Jimmy's T'ai Chi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwoQfYiwJwU)

TaichiMantis
10-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Y'all caught Keanu on Kimmel, yes?
Keanu Reeves Defends Jimmy's T'ai Chi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwoQfYiwJwU)

Uh...no. But I did catch him on FALLON ;)

GeneChing
10-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Obviously I've scrambled my Jimmys. :o

Hebrew Hammer
10-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Don't ever do that Homer. I'm pretty sure you can get arrested for that in more than one Southern state.

GeneChing
10-25-2013, 03:07 PM
This is a day late (and a dollar short...:()

Keanu Reeves to appear at 'Man of Tai Chi' IMAX screening in New York City (http://www.examiner.com/article/keanu-reeves-to-appear-at-man-of-tai-chi-imax-screening-new-york-city)
October 23, 2013

Keanu Reeves, who directed and starred in the martial-arts movie "Man of Tai Chi," is making a special appearance at a sneak-preview IMAX screening of "Man of Tai Chi" at AMC 34th Street in New York City at 7 p.m. EDT on Oct. 24, 2013.

On Oct. 24, 2013, "Man of Tai Chi" is also having sneak-preview screenings at 7 p.m. local time in Los Angeles, Boston, Seattle and San Francisco.

RADiUS-TWC's "Man of Tai Chi" had its VOD premiere on Sept. 27, 2013. The movie opens in U.S. and Canadian cinemas on Nov. 1, 2013.

In "Man of Tai Chi," Reeves stars as the wealthy owner of a Beijing underground fight club who recruits a humble Tai Chi student (played by Tiger Chen) to his closed-circuit battles. But when the young man is seduced by money and power, it will trigger a war between the Hong Kong police, the world's deadliest combatants and a peaceful spiritual discipline turned lethal new fighting style.

Reeves' next movie is also heavy on martial arts: Universal Pictures' long-delayed "47 Ronin" is set for release in the U.S. and Canada on Dec. 25, 2013. The movie's U.K. release is on Dec. 26, 2013.

GeneChing
10-29-2013, 09:29 AM
in select U.S. theaters only....

There's a vid if you follow the link.

October 29, 2013, 9:28 am
Keanu Reeves Bowed to Chinese Censors to Make “Man of Tai Chi” (http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/29/keanu-reeves-bowed-to-chinese-censors-to-make-man-of-tai-chi/?_r=0)
By DAN LEVIN

The movie ’““Man of Tai Chi” would seem like a perfect fit for the booming Chinese film market: a lowly courier with upwardly mobile ambitions gains wealth and renown by lethally leveraging his skills in the ancient meditative practice to vanquish a series of bloodthirsty rivals. Think “Kung Fu Panda” meets “Fight Club.” Then throw in Keanu Reeves, who often has taken the role of the stoic underdog hero, as both the kung fu-fighting villain — and the director. Taking several pages from classic martial arts films that made actors like Jackie Chan and Jet Li world famous and updating the concept for a modern world marked by an ascendant China, Mr. Reeves obtained funding for his directorial debut largely from the state-owned China Film Group. But even that financial backing was no match for the arch-enemies of film directors who covet mainland China as cinematic landscape and goldmine: Chinese government censors.

In an interview on Canadian television that aired Monday night, Mr. Reeves acknowledged that his creative plans had been thwarted by the powerful forces that rule the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television. Notoriously tetchy about plot lines that might remind audiences of mainland China’s darker realities, the censors forced Mr. Reeves and his band of modern-day gladiators to take their mortal combat elsewhere.

“They didn’t want underground fighting in mainland China, in the capital of China,” he said on the show, George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight. “So in Beijing there’s no underground fighting. And there’s no corrupt police officers.” Cue: audience laughter.

To make the film, Mr. Reeves set those scenes in Hong Kong, the former British colony that has reverted to Chinese rule but that enjoys special autonomy and greater freedoms than on the mainland.

The star of the Matrix trilogy is not the first director forced to bend his storyline to Chinese political will. The zombie apocalypse blockbuster “World War Z” gutted a central plot point of the original book — the undead infection begins in the southwestern Chinese province of Sichuan and spreads across the globe thanks to China’s illegal organ trade — instead vaguely attributing the outbreak to Taiwan, which the Chinese government considers a breakaway province.

Last year’s remake of “Red Dawn” originally featured the Chinese Army invading the United States. But MGM chose to spend $1 million in post-production to turn the villains into North Koreans, rather than risk offending China and losing out on distribution deals.

Working with China allowed Mr. Reeves to limit such fallout by cutting down on controversial content beforehand. “I had to take down some of the violence,” he said. “I had one sequence where the lead punched someone in the head 11 times, so we made it five.” In another scene, the fists flew 17 times instead of 32.

Ever the optimist, Mr. Reeves spun the challenge of government meddling as a force for creative inspiration.

“Now the film takes place in Beijing and Hong Kong and that opened up the world,” he said. “So for me that wasn’t, like, a bad experience.”

Considering that “Man of Tai Chi” has underperformed at the Chinese box office since its release on the mainland in July, one hopes Mr. Reeves can harness that philosophical tranquility when the film opens in the United States on Nov. 1.

GeneChing
12-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's MAN OF TAI CHI BLU-RAY™ Sweepstakes (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/about/sweepstakes-12-13-2013.php)! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 12/26/13. Good luck everyone!

Lokhopkuen
12-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Keanu needs to learn how to use his legs to make stances:rolleyes: Beyond that great movie.

GeneChing
12-30-2013, 04:11 PM
See our MAN OF TAI CHI BLU-RAY™ Winners (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67109-MAN-OF-TAI-CHI-BLU-RAY%99-Winners) thread.

SimonM
01-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Keanu needs to learn how to use his legs to make stances:rolleyes: Beyond that great movie.

Agree - in general Keanu Reeves' performance was the weakest aspect of this film. After the stellar fights that come before the final boss fight I just couldn't buy that this gawky clumsy green-belt-in-karate guy was a credible threat.