PDA

View Full Version : Different types of WCners

Hendrik
04-11-2011, 08:59 AM
There are WCners who deal with hand technics as a primary.

There are Wcners who deal with momentum as a primary.

There are different combination of the above.

So, what is your type?

YouKnowWho
04-11-2011, 09:38 AM
The day that you no longer think about your arms and legs but your body, the day that you have moved into a different level.

When you have reached to a higher level, people should only see your body movement and not your limbs movement. This hold true for all TCMA styles. The advantage of this approach is you can use your "身法(Shenfa) - body method" to deflect your opponent's attack and not just your arm. If you do this way, your momentum will be behind all your striking and deflecting. Your "手(Shou), 眼(Yan), 身(Shen), 法(Fa), 步(Bu) - hand, eyes, body, method, footwork" will be then unified.

For example, when you use 扶手(Fu Shou) to deflect your opponent's punch, instead of moving your arm without moving your body, you keep your arm and body relationship unchanced (freeze your shoulder) and just turn your body. The result may sound the same but there is a difference here. Since your body is also spin out of your opponent's striking path, you are much safer. Also after you get good at your Shenfa, you can even "dodge" your opponent's strike without even raising your arm. Your opponent's punch will just pass your body few inches away. To me, that's the highest level of the TCMA.

LoneTiger108
04-12-2011, 01:12 PM

So, what is your type?

I guess I started with the momentum of the body, and the hands momentum through practising the seed in various cycles. All technique originates from here fme. We use the hand, eye, body, waist and horse (Sau, Ngan, San, Yiu, Ma) to move in unison througout training and if you sacrifice one element over another you can do the image of wing chun injustice imho.

I'm just an average Wcner on a search. Can that be a 'type'? :)

Yoshiyahu
04-22-2011, 10:33 AM
how i was taught was basically one who deals with hand technics as a primary.

stonecrusher69
04-23-2011, 04:33 PM

So, what is your type?

Myself momentum/force/direction

dirtyrat
04-23-2011, 04:46 PM
i'd buy you a drink first... ;)

Lee Chiang Po
04-23-2011, 07:57 PM
That is a rather odd question. WC is not WC without the hands. Period. So hand technique must always be first. Without it momentum would only be belly bumping. Not just hand technique, but any technique that you would use.

trubblman
04-23-2011, 08:23 PM
I am the Wing Chun practitioner who rejects false dichotomy and oversimplification. In addition I am one who does not use the term WCer or Chunner.

Grumblegeezer
04-23-2011, 09:05 PM
I am the Wing Chun practitioner who rejects false dichotomy and oversimplification. In addition I am one who does not use the term WCer or Chunner.
Speaking of false dichotomies, by using the term 'chunner at least you can avoid the otherwise polarizing romanizations Ving Tsun, Wing Chun, Wing Tsun and the like, that seem to set people apart. Other than that I'm with you on this. You need to have mastery of both aspects, hand technique and "momentum" (and a lot more) and the ability to make them work together to master this art. BTW I speak only from observation of others... I'm not nearly there yet myself!