PDA

View Full Version : new on the forum and lookin for a style

Fried Rice
09-09-2001, 09:09 PM
hey there i'm new. i'm looking for a style to train in. been lookin around and thinkin about brazilian jiu jitsu. any suggestions?

Dark Knight
09-09-2001, 09:40 PM
There is no superior art. Look at the instructor and not the style. You will have many that will tell you why thier style is better than others, but it comes down to what workd for you and how well the instructor can teach you.

Go to the local schools and watch a class or two.

MixedMartialArtist
09-09-2001, 09:43 PM
From someone who has studied a several styles, try as many as you can, and find the one that suits you. Every style has strengths and weaknesses. Find the style that compliments your personal attributes. And, more importantly, find a style (or school) that YOU ENJOY. There are people on these forums who will try to tell you their style is the best and that's the only one you should consider. The important thing is that you enjoy it.

Fried Rice
09-10-2001, 03:14 AM
i didn't mean to say there are any superior styles. juss wonderin how you got into what ur into, why u got into it, etc.

i'm not interested in tkd, boxing, kickboxing, karate. so far i checked out a brazilian jiu jitsu school that's pretty good an a kendo school. lookin for a capoeria school cause i'm into bboy stuff sorta and it looks kinda like it but the closest one i've seen is in san jose.

MonkeySlap Too
09-10-2001, 03:26 AM
Just find what fits your groove.

But also consider what you want to acheive. BJJ want give you 'cool moves' like the Caporeria, but Caporeria won't give you an easy way to subdue drunk Uncle Abdul.

Each art has it's thang. Just look with open eyes, and ignore the hype.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Cyborg
09-14-2001, 01:53 AM
There is no best art, there are however superior arts. Those are the ones that train realistically, are suited to you, by which I mean that some people never get flexible enough to do certain moves, and can explain the scientific reason behind each move. I personally think that Ted Wong is the most scientific striker that I've ever seen and had the pleasure to train with. As to BJJ I've done some of that and it's very good. If a style doesn't let you adapt to the opponent then don't waste your' time. TKD seems to be one of the worst about that. (Probably catch some criticism on that comment.) Have fun and train realistically!

Any body wanna spar?

Primer
09-14-2001, 02:50 PM
lol, yep you got some criticism ;). No style lets you adapt to any opponent, you have to that yourself. If you look at other arts and study how they move you will know what you have to do when you come up against a person of that art. A true martial arts exponent can adapt any martial art to meet the circumstances.

As per the origanal question, the other guys are spot on, find an art that you like with a good teacher and you're set.

-Steve

rogue
09-15-2001, 03:59 AM
In my case someone suggested (rather forcefully) my style and school, and after giving it a chance it fits well. If you know any martial artists maybe they can suggest some arts based on your body type, temperment and what you're trying to get out of your training.

From now on, enemies who are associated with terrorist activity will not cohabit the globe with the United States of America. William F. Buckley

http://www.drudgereport.com/wt6.jpg

http://store3.yimg.com/I/obflag_1646_241799
Never forget

origenx
09-18-2001, 02:54 PM
Start anywhere and eventually you'll get good enough to know what's good (and/or good for YOU).