PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Rate Hung Gar As a Fighting Art?

wiz cool c
04-12-2011, 01:21 AM
In terms of self defense, street fighting system? I have been training in Hung Gar in hen Zhen china for a while now,and haven't done much fighting with it other then some application training. But i feel this system is the real deal in terms of power and nastiness. In over 20 years of training different martial ARTS,THE SOLO TRAINING IS BY FAR THE MOST REALISTIC. Meaning it feels like i am training for a real fight even when i have no partner to train with.

Any one want to add their experiences. Real fights sparring tournaments

PM
04-12-2011, 04:29 AM
solo training is only one piece in the puzzle. if you have fighing ambition, you HAVE to spent a lot fo time on

a) strengthening and conditioning

b) 2-men training - aplication drills, situational RBSD drills and various forms of sparring, including full-contact

my guys have regular experience having sparring matches with our friends of variosu martial arts/sports background. open mind and cross training is a must.

check out sample of our Hung Ga Kyun training eg. at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZvW790KJ9I

(that is a year ago; we are now much better ;-) )

traditional art for today's world!

Violent Designs
04-12-2011, 04:36 AM
Weightlifting is also pretty realistic solo training...

Solo training can only get you so far.

In terms of combat there are few arts as vicious as Hung Fist because they are all about just punching, ripping, and really just bullying the crap out of you.

Laukarbo
04-12-2011, 04:55 AM
In terms of self defense, street fighting system?

I have been lucky enough to learn hung gar from one of the best in terms of fighting,my first hung gar i learned already 1990 and ever since then i didnt look for any other martial arts,but as with any cma style if you dont train proper you are getting not too far with it...and it was like that,it almost took me 10 years and another sifu before it really came out...As for my experience in fighting,sparring etc
my students fight at sanda tournamets,but since my school is pretty new (since late 2009) we havent had joined too many tourneys...but they are on a good way..
myself I also work as a doorman so i collect experience on a weekly basis :D
a good bridge and conditioned hands are very helpful ,specially when holding/controlling (drunk) people

wiz cool c
04-12-2011, 05:07 AM
all my sparring these days comes by shuai jiao
and judo, and have been working some of the hung gar moves from the form and arm bagging with a partner.

Frost
04-12-2011, 05:11 AM
Honestly, and I did hung gar off and on for about 5 years, I don’t rate it that much for a couple of reasons

Firstly whilst all those close range fighting techniques feel really powerful and useful when you train them solo and with a partner when you actually spar or watch hung gar guys spar its usually the long arm stuff you see in operation not the close range work that is meant to characterise pre WFH hung gar

Secondly you don’t exactly see hung gar peeps tearing it up on the full contact stage, funny because of the two main southern arts, hung gar and wing chun, neither produces many fighters when you think about the number of people in the styles, where as CLF seems to produce a lot for a relatively small style

Having said all that the man makes the style and hung gar probably could be a good fighting style in the right hands if it is trained properly, ie plenty of sparring and contact work, and judging by the replies on this thread a few schools are doing this so good on them

sanjuro_ronin
04-12-2011, 05:56 AM
Hung Gar suits me, so I like it.
It meshes well with how I like to fight.
That said there is a problem with solo training and that problem is that it is done, typically, in "reverse" from what I typically see.

Solo training has its place and its place is AFTER the development of a solid core base WITH TONS of sparring and competitive fighting.
You take THAT and then when you solo train: bag work, dummy work, whatever, you take what you have learned from sparring and fighting and solo train THAT.

Doing solo training before that ( besides strength development and conditioning of course) creates bad habits and unrealistic pathways and sets you up for rude awakenings.

CFT
04-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Solo training has its place and its place is AFTER the development of a solid core base WITH TONS of sparring and competitive fighting.
You take THAT and then when you solo train: bag work, dummy work, whatever, you take what you have learned from sparring and fighting and solo train THAT.

Doing solo training before that ( besides strength development and conditioning of course) creates bad habits and unrealistic pathways and sets you up for rude awakenings.That applies to all TCMA right?

sanjuro_ronin
04-12-2011, 06:29 AM
That applies to all TCMA right?

To ALL MA.

wiz cool c
04-12-2011, 09:46 AM
anybody got anything other to say then spar spar spar,everyone knows this already. i have been doing martial arts almost 30 years,have been sparring my whole life. anybody use their techniques in any real fights? or have some deeper thought on the subject, man like a broken record already.

sanjuro_ronin
04-12-2011, 09:52 AM
anybody got anything other to say then spar spar spar,everyone knows this already. i have been doing martial arts almost 30 years,have been sparring my whole life. anybody use their techniques in any real fights? or have some deeper thought on the subject, man like a broken record already.

Dude, its a thread on how one rates HG as a FIGHTING art, what kind of deep thoughts do you need?
LOL !

And for what its worth, some of us had jobs that required using their MA in a "real fight".

chusauli
04-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Hung Ga is a great training method and is a complex advanced art, but few have the ability to teach it as a fighting art, so it remains largely, a performance art for health or cultural relic.

The torso methods, methods of issuing force, dissolving of force through the stance, closing in, sticking, controlling all require long term teaching and practice to develop a person.

If a person pays attention to Lien Gung and mainly strengthens himself, concentrates on the Kiu Sao and how to enter and control, they will be better than average people in terms of power, and probably stronger than most martial artists.

The danger in Hung Ga is locking into looks, performance, showmanship.

Golden Arms
04-12-2011, 10:19 AM
In terms of self defense, street fighting system? I have been training in Hung Gar in hen Zhen china for a while now,and haven't done much fighting with it other then some application training. But i feel this system is the real deal in terms of power and nastiness. In over 20 years of training different martial ARTS,THE SOLO TRAINING IS BY FAR THE MOST REALISTIC. Meaning it feels like i am training for a real fight even when i have no partner to train with.

Hung works great for me, have never had an issue with the short bridging or striking either, in fact most of my sparring partners have jokingly referred to that area between the shoulders and from head to hips as the "box of death". Most of the statements on the thread ring true to my experience as well, its an advanced art and one needs to work a lot of partner work as well as to be guided properly to really tear into what makes Hung potentially hard to deal with.

Frost, I won 32-35 san shou fights using hung gar (sometimes poorly I admit lol), I don't see the issue with using it. Using the bridgework moving into and out of clinches was extremely effective for making enough space to strike and counter takedowns simultaneously. Reverse punching from the horse into bow stance works great while in close and the style can help one develop a lot of force, many of the hits translate well into wearing boxing gloves if need be.

sanjuro_ronin
04-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Hung Ga is a great training method and is a complex advanced art, but few have the ability to teach it as a fighting art, so it remains largely, a performance art for health or cultural relic.

The torso methods, methods of issuing force, dissolving of force through the stance, closing in, sticking, controlling all require long term teaching and practice to develop a person.

If a person pays attention to Lien Gung and mainly strengthens himself, concentrates on the Kiu Sao and how to enter and control, they will be better than average people in terms of power, and probably stronger than most martial artists.

The danger in Hung Ga is locking into looks, performance, showmanship.

One of my fellow students asked our Sifu why my Hk is so different than theirs and Sifu said that it was because of all the "baggage" I have from my prior MA, but he also said that is why when we spar I "wipe the floor" with them ( I don't but he was making a point).
He said that my HK will never be pure but because I put function over form it will always work.
As is a teachers right he was critical but he was also correct.

lkfmdc
04-12-2011, 12:24 PM
not WHAT you do

it is HOW you do it

Tons of Hung Ga movement and strategy is used all the time in real fighting, but if all you ever do is form or drills in the air, you can't apply it

David Jamieson
04-12-2011, 12:42 PM
I always thought that good Hung Kuen looked like western boxing with low kicks, some charges, some grabs and some throws.

But the hands in many respects are similar to boxing when not in open shapes like fu jow, lung jow, se sao, hok sao etc etc...

the fists, the fists.... :)

also, bridges are always strong on a good hung kuen prac.
forearms feel like bone and are heavy.

sanjuro_ronin
04-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Tyson and Marciano are what HK would look like if it was applied in the boxing ring.
Why more HK guys don't compete?
I think that Robert MAY have hit the nail on the head on that, too many focus on form and showmanship but I would add to that with this:
Because HK is such a powerful style I have noticed that many HK guys take their ability to fight for granted.

dirtyrat
04-12-2011, 01:53 PM
personally i disagree that HK looks like western boxing. it might help to look at it from a modified shuaijiao point of view. i see a lot of shuaijiao moves in the forms with an emphasis of bridging (hard or soft) and the stances can be used offensively as well to attack the opponent's legs.

Frost
04-13-2011, 04:56 AM

Why? because you asked for peoples opinions on it as a fighting style and didn’t like some of the responses?

You reckon it’s the real deal because it feels so powerful and practical when you do solo work and yet have never sparred or fought with it…if you cant see the problem right there then there’s no point continuing the thread

Frost
04-13-2011, 04:57 AM
Dude, its a thread on how one rates HG as a FIGHTING art, what kind of deep thoughts do you need?
LOL !

And for what its worth, some of us had jobs that required using their MA in a "real fight".

I don’t normally agree with Ronin but for once he makes some good points…..

:D

wiz cool c
04-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Have been working some of the tiger applications with a partner,very interesting. One my teacher showed me, one hand is up by the side of your face and the other is down by the opposite hip. Both hands are in tiger claws. The lower had acts as a arm grab then pull,while the upper hand simultaneously does a palm strike to the opponents chin. then the lower grabbing hand releases its grip and shoots up a chop into the opponents neck. I love this application.

I find my shuai jiao training and the hung chuan i have been learning go hand and hand,and is similar to the judo way of training . In that the sparring comes by way of grappling and the nasty move are done in application [judo kata]

TenTigers
04-13-2011, 09:11 AM
not what you do

it is how you do it

tons of hung ga movement and strategy is used all the time in real fighting, but if all you ever do is form or drills in the air, you can't apply it
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>qft

hskwarrior
04-13-2011, 03:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvhfW0rewkg&feature=feedlik

nospam
04-14-2011, 03:49 AM
If you want to learn how to use your gung fu and be effective in a fight, you need to spar. Not tournament style fighting although that's better than not sparring. You need to learn intent while sparring. Good luck!

nospam
:cool:

wiz cool c
04-14-2011, 04:33 AM
thanks for the brain dead reply, been said like 20 times here already

Frost
04-14-2011, 04:50 AM
thanks for the brain dead reply, been said like 20 times here already

well if we dont judge it in sparring where would you suggest we judge it...how strong it feels during set performances? :rolleyes:

wiz cool c
04-14-2011, 05:07 AM
ok no need for a message board anymore,the answer to ever topic is just spar, how about talk about strategies techniques and other training method,or there is no need for a discussion on anything, and i already mentioned three times i have been training almost 30 years in the martial arts and have sparred all those years, so to come on here and give me advice spar is f59king retarded

sanjuro_ronin
04-14-2011, 05:43 AM
ok no need for a message board anymore,the answer to ever topic is just spar, how about talk about strategies techniques and other training method,or there is no need for a discussion on anything, and i already mentioned three times i have been training almost 30 years in the martial arts and have sparred all those years, so to come on here and give me advice spar is f59king retarded

Careful with the tone.
Fact is the thread is, as you well know, about how one rates HG as a FIGHTING art and the ONLY way to rate it is to, you guessed it- Fight.

You have to fight with it AND fight against it.

Now, that said, you do have a point about strategies and training methods.

So lets take the discussion this way:

How do you rate Hung Ga as a fighting art and WHY?
How do you feel its strategies and training methods effective it as a fighting art? positive or negative?

Cool?

And keep that rude comments to the WC forum, we here in the southern forum are far too civilized for that kind of talk * sips tea*.
:D

Iron_Eagle_76
04-14-2011, 06:20 AM
In my area there was one Hung Gar school, came from a good lineage, instructor was very good, and from working out a few times and sparring them my rating of their system was good. Most used powerful hand and elbow combinations with low, strong kicks and worked angles well and would get inside and continue to strike and attack. The one guy was very much into iron training and would take a shot to give two, so to speak.

But again, it's just like any other style. Those that train with intent such as the school I mentioned is good. Other Hung systems more into performance and forms probably not so much. Like I said, this is with any martial arts system.

David Jamieson
04-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Careful with the tone.
Fact is the thread is, as you well know, about how one rates HG as a FIGHTING art and the ONLY way to rate it is to, you guessed it- Fight.

You have to fight with it AND fight against it.

Now, that said, you do have a point about strategies and training methods.

So lets take the discussion this way:

How do you rate Hung Ga as a fighting art and WHY?
How do you feel its strategies and training methods effective it as a fighting art? positive or negative?

Cool?

And keep that rude comments to the WC forum, we here in the southern forum are far too civilized for that kind of talk * sips tea*.

...and that's how Hung Kuen is used in a fight. :) lol

lkfmdc
04-14-2011, 06:33 AM

How effective would your shuai jiao be if you only did the single person forms?

wiz cool c
04-14-2011, 06:37 AM
i'm not say don't spar,but how many time can the same thing be said,talk about , strategies techniques and other training method

lkfmdc
04-14-2011, 06:38 AM
well i think if you are not sparring regularly and doing tournaments doesn't matter what the style is you can't fight with it

Which is the answer you were just complaining about when others gave it to you? :confused:

wiz cool c
04-14-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm joking

lkfmdc
04-14-2011, 09:09 AM
i'm not say don't spar,but how many time can the same thing be said,talk about , strategies techniques and other training method

METHOD is ALL that it is about

How Do You Train?
Guidelines for Functional Training

The training program we present here is concerned with only two issues, practicality and functionality. We want to know if the technique, once developed and perfected, will work in a real situation against a moving, resisting, trained person. Perhaps more importantly, we also want to know if the technique can be developed and perfected by a majority of people in a reasonable amount of time.

After an initial period in which the basic techniques are introduced in isolation, they will be drilled using the following live training principles. If training follows these guidelines, you will be able to discover which techniques are both practical and functional,

Guideline #1: "Structure"
The foundation of the program is learning the proper position and the proper execution of the techniques. Most of the problems students have in applying technique are found in the incorrect execution; the wrong position, the wrong distance, the wrong angle, etc.

Guideline #2: "Movement"
Since an adversary will not stand in one place during a real fight, all the drills must incorporate movement to replicate real conditions. This includes, but is not limited to, footwork, real distance, distance control, level control and head movement.

Guideline #3: "Impact"
While many traditional martial arts place a heavy emphasis on doing techniques without impact, the reality is that hitting an adversary is quite different from hitting the air! Our program includes a significant time devoted to working with various pieces of equipment so the student becomes familiar with the feeling of impact and develops power and focus.

Guideline #4: "Resistance"
Each drill must include or simulate the resistance (or counter attack) of a real opponent.

Guideline #5: "Context"
Each drill must include context; why the technique is being used, when the technique is being used, how the technique is being used, etc. This also includes discussion of our basic theories such as "leaks", "continuousness", "gates", "bridges", etc.

wiz cool c
04-14-2011, 09:30 AM
David that was interesting. Did you use this training strategy with the traditional arts when you taught them,or is this something that came from the sanda training?

lkfmdc
04-14-2011, 09:33 AM
David that was interesting. Did you use this training strategy with the traditional arts when you taught them,or is this something that came from the sanda training?

I found that things that worked we trained those ways and things that we didn't train those ways never worked

I probably tinkered and adjusted the methods over time, I was trying to find better ways, but that is basicly how it is done no matter who you are and what you practice

TenTigers
04-14-2011, 12:50 PM
niiice...LKFMDC's on a roll!

sanjuro_ronin
04-14-2011, 12:59 PM
METHOD is ALL that it is about

How Do You Train?
Guidelines for Functional Training

The training program we present here is concerned with only two issues, practicality and functionality. We want to know if the technique, once developed and perfected, will work in a real situation against a moving, resisting, trained person. Perhaps more importantly, we also want to know if the technique can be developed and perfected by a majority of people in a reasonable amount of time.

After an initial period in which the basic techniques are introduced in isolation, they will be drilled using the following live training principles. If training follows these guidelines, you will be able to discover which techniques are both practical and functional,

Guideline #1: "Structure"
The foundation of the program is learning the proper position and the proper execution of the techniques. Most of the problems students have in applying technique are found in the incorrect execution; the wrong position, the wrong distance, the wrong angle, etc.

Guideline #2: "Movement"
Since an adversary will not stand in one place during a real fight, all the drills must incorporate movement to replicate real conditions. This includes, but is not limited to, footwork, real distance, distance control, level control and head movement.

Guideline #3: "Impact"
While many traditional martial arts place a heavy emphasis on doing techniques without impact, the reality is that hitting an adversary is quite different from hitting the air! Our program includes a significant time devoted to working with various pieces of equipment so the student becomes familiar with the feeling of impact and develops power and focus.

Guideline #4: "Resistance"
Each drill must include or simulate the resistance (or counter attack) of a real opponent.

Guideline #5: "Context"
Each drill must include context; why the technique is being used, when the technique is being used, how the technique is being used, etc. This also includes discussion of our basic theories such as "leaks", "continuousness", "gates", "bridges", etc.

QFT and deserving of its own thread.

lance
04-17-2011, 07:12 PM
WizCool C ,

Hung gar is a good fighting art , also known as the tiger / crane system and there 're exponents of this system . Like Sifu Chiu Chi Ling try and tell negative things about hung gar to him , and he ' ll show you what hung gar is .
Anyway , depending who you ' re learning hung gar from you might start of with
learning the Lau Ga Fist or palm set , gung gee fook fu kuen , tiger and crane set .
And the teet sin kin ( iron thred set ) .

But the mainthing is to develop the forearms because it's what you ' ll be blocking the opponent's attacks with , and develop your striking power by practicing the internal exercises and train with the wall bags filled with dried beans , to strenthen and condition your hands . throw the bags in the air and catch it to develop the tigerclaw , but if the Sifu already taught you that then just continue to practice what you ' ve been taught , and you ' ll improve yourself . I ' m just sharing with you my own personal experiences with hung gar .

But WizCoolC , it seems that your Sifu is good so keep on training the way you 've been training . The mainthing is to develop the forearms , legs , hands .
Because when you get into a fight with anybody or defending yourself against anybody , once the person notices that have strong forearms or legs and hands too , he 's going to think twice about attacking you , anyway . To make your kung fu strong and powerful do the internal excersises if you learned any .

If you ' ve been training for a long time already , then you should be on your way of becoming good so keep it up , use the techniques in your set to defend and attack , I don ' t know how many sets you learned , but the techniques are in the set . The sets ( forms ) you do it for traditional purpose , but it ' s the application (techniques) which you need to defend youselves with when the situations crosses your path . Hung Gar is the oldest system to be developed in the Shaolin Monestry .

They have the Ha Say Fu hung gar also known as the northern style of hung gar , and the canton hung gar the one being spread by Lum Jo who had students like Sifu Bucksam Kong , Y.C. Wong and many other teachers , sifu chi chi ling learned from his parents Sifu Chiu Kao and Simu Siu Ling . Sifu Chiu Kao ( southern style of
Hung Gar , Sifu Siu Ying ( northern style of hung gar ) .

The weaon sets Lau Gar Staff , butterfly Knives , kwan dao and broadsword set .
I too study other kung fu systems in general .

Take Care ,
Lance

LaterthanNever
04-18-2011, 06:21 PM
"Sifu Siu Ying ( northern style of hung gar ) "

Would you please explain this in greater detail?

Is there any relation to "northern hung gar" and the "Hung mei" style?

www.shaolinhungmei.org

wiz cool c
04-19-2011, 03:55 PM
yeah lance i have noticed the importance of forearm strength,and when i get the chance to meet with my training partner,arm banging is one of the first things we do,and when i don't have a partner to train with sometimes use a tree. I haven't done the wall bag striking, haven't equipment,or been trained in it. but that is something i would like to look into. and the bag catching i already do.

I also like to take moves from the form and work them in drills and applications. any other two man type of training that is specific to Hung Gar that you know of?

CYMac
04-19-2011, 04:09 PM
To me, kungfu is never "practical" in real life situation except if you are those who are working as a ganster, fighter, military or something like that. How often will a normal person with a normal job get into a fight once in a life when they grow up? i guess not.

When it's time to fight, you need a gun. That's why there is something call conceal carry weapon (firearm) and you can get a gun to protect you. No need for long term training, easy to use, and lots of stopping power instantly stop the threat. Now that's practical.

Kungfu? Nah.. it's for health nowadays, we aren't living in a gangster town! haha! But if you are living in a gangster town, you will need a gun and not kungfu because they all got one now, how stupid is it to face them with a pair of fist and feet!

TenTigers
04-19-2011, 04:14 PM

www.shaolinhungmei.org

Hey LTN, tell Howie-Shifu I said, 'Hi.'

LaterthanNever
04-19-2011, 06:11 PM
TT,

I would but unfortunately, I've never met the man--sorry!:o

lance
04-20-2011, 02:27 AM
yeah lance i have noticed the importance of forearm strength,and when i get the chance to meet with my training partner,arm banging is one of the first things we do,and when i don't have a partner to train with sometimes use a tree. I haven't done the wall bag striking, haven't equipment,or been trained in it. but that is something i would like to look into. and the bag catching i already do.

I also like to take moves from the form and work them in drills and applications. any other two man type of training that is specific to Hung Gar that you know of?
wizcoolc ,

You ' re doing just fine keep on going , now sometimes you really can ' t avoid a confrontation , especially if the opponent just attacks you like punching you , or attacking you in a certain way . So it ' ll be good if you can find moves in your HG set to counter those things . The counering moves should be made simple so that you can react with fast reaction , so it ' s something important good to think about .

You see if you have solid forearms , then when you block a punch or kick , then your opponent will have a good idea of what kind of a person he ' s facing . If he continues the fight he ' s stupid when he ' s going to get hurt anyway , if he walks away then he ' s smart , that happens when your body is condition already .

Lance

wiz cool c
04-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Yeah i like the concept of the strong forearms. I have noticed that in all aspects of Hung Gar training the forearms are being developed. For example when using the iron rings,the constant banging against the arms of the rings are conditioning them. And even in the solo forms there are a lot of techniques where you strike your forearms together or with the other hand. then of course arm banging and banging trees when nobody is around. all fun stuff.

SIFU RON
04-22-2011, 11:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvhfw0rewkg&feature=feedlik

real nice video --- i enjoy one arm fighting and acting ---

thank you

siifu ron

lance
04-23-2011, 12:47 AM

www.shaolinhungmei.org

Laterthannever ,

Okay , there was this Wing Chun kung fu expert in Hawaii where I ' m from his name was Sifu Yeung , before he learned wing chun from GM Ip Man in Hong Kong , he was learning from Sifu Chiu Chi Ling in Hong Kong . He ' s the one who told my 2 - friends that Chiu Sifus' Hung Gar is a combination of Northern and southern styles of hung gar . This words come from Sifu Yeung that he did ' nt like the southern style of HG as being taught by GM Lum Jo . Unfortunately Sifu Yeung has passed away already . He had his own share of medical problems .

As you might or might not know Chiu Wai Sifu and Chiu chi Sifu are brothers if I'm not mistaken , well it ' s probably in their sets . The northern style hung gar movements . My 2 - friends are all wing chun sifus , they don ' t teach already , but they have 2 assistant sifus now .

Hung Mei , I ' m not sure what Mei means , but the Chiu brothers their mom Simu Siu Ying knew northern style hung gar and the word Hung has to do with the name Hung , I know some people call it the hung fist system or the hung style , Hung Kuen , but overall to me it ' s really hung gar .

But you know laterthannever , today even on the youtube there are different variations of hung gar forms . Just like wing chun style kung fu , this style too all have different lineages , I would be surprised if they had northern style of wing chun .

Just like the opening part of the Gung Gee Fook Fu set the chiu Kao lineage , Chiu Kao Sifu learned his soutern style of hung gar from GM Lum Sai Wing , Anyway ,
the opening part of Taming of the tiger set . there are one hand finger jab movement done by the left hand . Then you would go on with the regular taming the tiger blocking with the right hand . You also do the samething with the other side . Do you have Chiu Chi Sifus' DVD on Gung Gee Fook Fu ? Unless you see it ,
you can ' t tell the difference .

Take Care ,
Lance