PDA

View Full Version : Current Wing Chun Development in China

topwoodendummy
04-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Apart from Hongkong, Wing Chun is not popular in China, very few people know it before Movie called Yip Man acted by Kungfu Star Donnie Yen(Zen Zi Dan)who is my favourite Kungfu Star, another is Jet Li. Even though Yip Man film was hot then, in person, I still think it is just film itself, not bring much impact on people who want to start learning wing chun, so, that is the acutal situation in China now about Wing Chun development. Another question is here very few Sifu open schools to develop wing chun, But if you want to find someone, I can recommend some for you if you temporary live in China for working since many people asked about that.

Phil Redmond
04-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Apart from Hongkong, Wing Chun is not popular in China, very few people know it before Movie called Yip Man acted by Kungfu Star Donnie Yen(Zen Zi Dan)who is my favourite Kungfu Star, another is Jet Li. Even though Yip Man film was hot then, in person, I still think it is just film itself, not bring much impact on people who want to start learning wing chun, so, that is the acutal situation in China now about Wing Chun development. Another question is here very few Sifu open schools to develop wing chun, But if you want to find someone, I can recommend some for you if you temporary live in China for working since many people asked about that.
Are you a Wing Chun practitioner? If so who did you learn from? You're using Sifu Duncan Leung's logo on your site. Are you his student?

Phil Redmond
04-17-2011, 06:00 AM
Well I personally won't be recommending a Sifu who sells wooden dummies but doesn't identify himself to anyone I know. :rolleyes:

Sihing73
04-17-2011, 06:26 AM
Well I personally won't be recommending a Sifu who sells wooden dummies but doesn't identify himself to anyone I know. :rolleyes:

Phil,

From looking on the site he lists, it seems to indicate that he has no formal WC training but learned from books and or videos and visiting some other WC Sifus.

As for my Wing chun kungfu, i learnt kungfu by myself, no any official Sifu, through reading books, watching vedios, and visiting some Sifus here, so my kungfu level is primary( I have no interest to be an actual Sifu or open a kungfu school here, That's the answer to people who always asked me if I can teach them and how much about lessons, No, I am not A master, but you can call me Sifu which is Just a common respect in China, not mean that have to pass through certain orgonization test, so, that is why you always see this name of Sifu bruce bao), after entering into work officially,

Here is the link from the site which states this:
http://www.topwoodendummy.com/sifu-bruce-bao/

Phil Redmond
04-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Phil,

From looking on the site he lists, it seems to indicate that he has no formal WC training but learned from books and or videos and visiting some other WC Sifus.

As for my Wing chun kungfu, i learnt kungfu by myself, no any official Sifu, through reading books, watching vedios, and visiting some Sifus here, so my kungfu level is primary( I have no interest to be an actual Sifu or open a kungfu school here, That's the answer to people who always asked me if I can teach them and how much about lessons, No, I am not A master, but you can call me Sifu which is Just a common respect in China, not mean that have to pass through certain orgonization test, so, that is why you always see this name of Sifu bruce bao), after entering into work officially,

Here is the link from the site which states this:
http://www.topwoodendummy.com/sifu-bruce-bao/
Thanks for clearing that up Dave.

JamesC
04-19-2011, 05:57 AM
He's a self-proclaimed businessman that admits to teaching himself wing chun.

I'll be a monkey's uncle.

Vajramusti
04-19-2011, 06:21 AM
He's a self-proclaimed businessman that admits to teaching himself wing chun.

I'll be a monkey's uncle.
-------------------------------------

And he spams forums.

joy chaudhuri

LoneTiger108
04-19-2011, 06:36 AM
Well, need I say it guys?

If that is how Wing Chun is being picked up and taught all over China I don't want to know :D

Typical Wushu players and Taichi teachers thinking they know what our system is and teaching a 'picture to picture' version to the uneducated masses!

Of course, this also happens in the West too but I really wouldn't call that 'development' would you? :o

lance
05-02-2011, 12:33 AM

Hello ,

Did you read the current issue of blackbelt magazine ? They said that Donnie Yen does not display good wing chun skills in the movie Ip Man 2 . Well , I disagree with that , the time when Ip Man was challenging the boxer , that move where Ip caught the boxers' right and punched the boxer in the nose and giving the boxer a bleeding nose . Those moves are from the Sil Lum Tao form , if I ' m not mistaken .

Topwoodendummy , did you see GM Cheung get fried in the forum ? Did you get involved or not ? If not I can understand why ? If you did then , excuse me I
did ' nt see your thread . And I love Ip Man , IP Man 2 , and the hero was born .
If I ' m not mistaken , according to my 2 - friends who are wing chun experts , they said that Ip Chun and some producers are still negotiating about a movie on the Late Bruce Lee ' s wing chun involvment and evolvment into Jeet Kune Do .

It could be some people had been trained in wing chun , but want to keep it to themselves mainly because of troubles with other people like them who are into other styles of kung fy in general . Maybe only when the trouble comes then ,
their wing chun moves comes out . But I " ve seen other wing chun movies where
wing chun people would would penetrate through hung gar , ofcoarse no offense to the Hung Gar people , but it was in the movie called wing Chun it featured Sammo Hung , Yuen Biao and other actors which I don ' t know the name but it comes in a 10 DVD set if I ' m not mistaken .

I like Donnie Yen , Jet Li , sammo hung and the list goes on and on . But overall the wing chun in china may or may not look different from the wing chun in Hong Kong . I ' ve seen wing chun sifus mostly from Ip Man lineage , but their forms or sets are different from eachother , but the applications are all the same .

Lance