PDA

View Full Version : Which vids: Hapkido or Hwa Rang Do

rogue
09-14-2001, 06:22 PM
I've got $150 and want to take a look at some other korean arts. From Panther I can get Mike De Albas HWD, or some of the WHWD vids or the Hapkido videos.

Which way to go?

http://www.drudgereport.com/wt6.jpg

http://store3.yimg.com/I/obflag_1646_241799
Never forget

Stranger
09-14-2001, 09:09 PM
DeAlba's videos, particularly his newer ones, are not pure HRD. He is a legit HRD BB, but in these tapes he apparently includes elements of FMA, shootfighting, etc.

I'd check out the HRD tape sets over hapkido, based soley on the fact that there will be instruction on knifefighting, ground techniques, etc probably in greater abundance than in hapkido tapes. Which hapkido tapes are you looking at?

We questioned a lot about HRD in recent weeks, but I don't question the fact that they can teach you good techniques.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

rogue
09-14-2001, 10:47 PM
The Hapkido tapes are by Fariborz Azhakh and the other set is by the GM who was in Billy Jack, I'm blanking on his name right now. The De Alba tapes are the ones from 1995, Panther has marked them down with the arrival of Dr Lee's set of tapes.

For about $150 I get 8 tapes, I've even thought about mixing 4 Hapkido with 4 HRD.

One thing I can't refute is that Dr Lee is responsible for some excellent martial artists and has the goods himself.

http://www.drudgereport.com/wt6.jpg

http://store3.yimg.com/I/obflag_1646_241799
Never forget

old jong
09-15-2001, 01:00 AM
I think his name is Boon soo hann(spelling?)I saw him in some documentory and he's good!

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

Stranger
09-15-2001, 02:10 AM
Bong Soo Han is his name. Never saw them.

I have seen Fariborz Azhakk's tapes. It was a long time ago, but as I recall there were a lot of techniques with opening kick moves that I could not do. Although I am not a kicker on your level by a long shot. I would have to sit through them again to say more.

DeAlba is a solid way to go and I'd guess you won't have to swallow as much BS. He knows his HRD. He know other arts so he can tell if HRD is all that. DeAlba will be more in tune with Wanner, Duggan, Reimen (sp.?), etc. Check out his webiste at:

www.dsystem.com/ (http://www.dsystem.com/)

Lee's HRD tapes: I don't know, never saw them.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

rogue
09-30-2001, 02:56 AM
Hey Stranger, I've ordered the "official" WHRD tapes from Panther, 12 tapes for $200.00 seemed like a good deal. Then again if the content sucks then it's a pretty bad deal. :D

From now on, enemies who are associated with terrorist activity will not cohabit the globe with the United States of America. William F. Buckley

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/u/us-gads.gif
Never forget

Stranger
10-03-2001, 03:07 AM
Make sure you give us a video review.
I hope it is good.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

rogue
10-03-2001, 05:32 AM
Started watching them tonight. Got into the kicking tapes, and counters to kicks and punches and I'm halfway through the one on throws and sweeps, wow only 7 1/2 more tapes to go! It is definatly a well rounded system.

So far I have mixed impressions. The counters to kicks and punches are identical if not the same as the ones my TKD master teaches, the sweeps and 95% of the kicks are the same too. I thought HRD would somehow be dramatically different from non-sport TKD, but then again I'm happy it's not. I guess I was expecting the same thing that I got from Vlads Systema tapes, a different take on things.

They do have some extra in-close kicks that I've never seen before. Have to work on them and try them out. I may not like how Joo Bang Lee runs his system, but the man does seem to know his stuff.

I've got some tapes by Randy Warner, Jessie Lechuga & Joe Nepomucno that I'm going to watch again once I finish with these and compare them.

http://www.interesting.com/stories/gadsden/images/museumshop.jpg

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban soon to be getting jiggy with his first of 70 virgins.

“Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.” Last words of Todd Beamer heard over his mobile line right before rushing a hijacker.

tnwingtsun
10-08-2001, 01:46 PM
"I think his name is Boon soo hann."

His name is Bong Soo Han,go watch the movie(late 70s) called
"Kentuckey Fried Movie"

Its a spoof on TV and it has a big spoof on Bruce
Lee's "Enter The Dragon"

Bong Soo Han plays the Evil Dr.Klan,oh man he's a riot!!

One of his hand attachments one of those things
that make a buzzing sound that KFO won't let me spell(V_I_B_R_A_T_O_R).
The part before the fight in the house of mirrors
when the Evil dude calls his guards out on Bruce,
Bong Soo Han calls them not by chinese names but Korean dishes,"Cha cha Mein!,Chombone!,Kimchee!,get him!!!,kill!!!

A good laugh and a must see,I almost crapped my pants the first time I saw it.

So if you get his Videos,run out to blockbuster and rent "Kentuckey Fried Movie" :D

rogue
10-09-2001, 04:04 AM
Thanks T, I'll check that out this weekend!

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban soon to be getting jiggy with his first of 70 virgins.

“Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.” Last words of Todd Beamer heard over his mobile line right before rushing a hijacker.

Stranger
10-11-2001, 03:40 PM
Have you checked out the rest of the tapes yet?
How were they?

Do you have Wanner tapes other than the ones he did with Taylor?
Do you have any of Taylor's other tapes?
Do you know Taylor's MA background? Does he know HRD?

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

rogue
10-12-2001, 02:59 AM
Stranger,

While there was some good stuff on the tapes all in all they were a bit of a let down.

There is lots of filler and several of the 12 tapes could have been combined together, such as the two hand technique tapes, the 3 kicking tapes and the Sweeps, (Judo)throws and ground fighting(beginner BJJ) tapes, most of which is very basic. Also each tapes starts with 5 minutes of voice over about why you shouldn't mix different martial arts together.

One cool thing is that Joo Bang Lee gives much of the same advice for kicking & striking as my TKD master, even the counters for punches and kicks are almost the same.

I have twelve out of 23 tapes so you'd think that I'd now have a feel for what HRD is about. Wrong. While the tapes give a lot of material they never get into how all the pieces work together. So while I've seen what tools HRD uses, I don't believe I got to see any HRD on the tapes. I didn't expect to learn the system but I did think that I'd at least be able to recognize someone using it after watching these.

Now I contrast that with the TRS Randy Wanner & Bob Taylor tapes and the TRS Hwa Rang Sul tapes by Jesse Lechuga and Joe Nepo(1st, 2nd or 3rd generation HRD BB) which take isolated parts of HRD but seem to give a better idea what the art is really about.

Did I learn something from these tapes? Yes, and what I learned will fit well with my TKD, but I didn't get what I was hoping for.

"Do you know Taylor's MA background?" No, but the guy looks good doing what he does. I'll check around and see if any of my aquaitences know about him.

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban who right about now is getting jiggy with his first of 70 virgins.

Stranger
10-14-2001, 12:31 AM
This is the material that has created the HRD mystique and legend. Did you get the tapes covering it? How was it?

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

rogue
10-15-2001, 05:34 AM
"What about the knife, stick, gun, ki development, and stealth material?

This is the material that has created the HRD mystique and legend. Did you get the tapes covering it? How was it?"

Nope, so far I just got the 12 tapes about the basic unarmed system, I have the tapes from basic kicking to grabs I minus the sparring tapes. Figured ki training is hard to do on tape and comes off as parlor tricks half the time anyway. I already have the Randy Warner tapes on guns and knives that gives me an idea of HRD. Didn't see any tapes on stealth from Dr. Lee. I've always wondered if that was brought into the system or is a part of it. I'm going to email RoosterTalon and see if he can answer some questions. If given the chance I'd study this art.

Once again I wasn't hoping to learn HRD but see how it differs from Hapkido and other Korean arts. I think TRS would have done a better job of putting together a series with Dr Lee than Panther.

Speaking of TRS I came across this while researching your Bob Taylor question, Please read the whole thing. (http://www.phonyveterans.com/Taylor.html) I still think the Taylor knows his stuff.

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban who right about now is getting jiggy with his first of 70 virgins.

Stranger
10-15-2001, 02:54 PM
I hade heard that about Taylor in the past. I don't know what to make of it really. The Sept. 17, 2000 update jibes with the story of a lot of other TRS martial artists who have been horrified at TRS's shameless marketting dept.

As far as military service is concerned:
Taylor is being questioned.
Dr.Gyi is being questioned.
Steven Segal is being questioned.

As far as MA ability is concerned, none of the above are in question. They all know how to fight in a very real way. I don't know why they would lie about their service records, when they were all legit MA before the war stories came out.
I don't know if they are simply that insecure, or if they really were something more than their service records would indicate.

No answers here. :(

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

rogue
10-15-2001, 03:57 PM
Yeah, TRS does go overboard. One of their talents told me to never even mention in passing anything that you don't want talked about. He was ****ed at the marketing dept, but said that they do a good job at presenting the material and their quality and standards are top notch.

One thing to remember though is that most guys making videos or writing articles are there to promote (sell) their arts and skills, and there's nothing wrong with that. Cucci, Norris, Vunak, Joo Bang Lee and the Gracies for example are not just very good martial artists but have to also try to be good businessmen and salesmen. For example, if you believed the hype TRS put out about Vunak you'd think he trained every SEAL in H2H and was going on missions with them, but of the few SEALs that I've met only one had even heard of him or his system. While Vunak does correct the hype from time to time it also hasn't hurt him either. BTW I'm just using Vunak as an example since he's known most everyone.

It's getting to the point where I'm doubtful of the backgrounds and histories of many MA instructors. About the only thing to go on is how well they present their arts and most of all how good their students are. Maybe these guys have to hype themselves due to competition, like the one legit kempo master who elevated himself to 15th degree BB because so many had elevated themselves to 10th degree. Likewise, maybe to compete with the marketing hype of Jerry Peterson they feel that they have to out do him to sell tapes.

Sad situation for all.

Stranger
12-19-2001, 08:46 PM
Check out the Echanis thread at Bladeforums. Some old school HRD BB's are posting in the thread.

Do you own Echanis' Black Book?

rogue
12-20-2001, 03:47 PM
Thanks Stranger. No black book, I'd love to see how it matches up against the HRD Panter video on knife fighting that they have.

I just posted that question over there.