PDA

View Full Version : MMA fighter dies Hero

sanjuro_ronin
04-19-2011, 07:56 AM
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2011/04/19/18038931.html

Mixed martial artist dies a hero
By CHRIS DOUCETTE, QMI Agency

BRAMPTON, Ont. - An up-and-coming mixed martial artist tried to do the right thing when he stepped in to stop a robbery over the weekend.

But it cost Kearn Nedd, 28, his life.

"It's definitely tragic," his brother, Kendall Nedd, 30, said Monday.

The victim's older brother added he would expect nothing less of the middle of three siblings, and his family takes some comfort in knowing their loved one died heroically.

"It's disappointing, obviously, because it didn't have to happen," Kendall said. "But knowing Kearn and his character, I'm not surprised at all that he jumped in to try to stop these guys."

Kearn, who had trained in MMA for seven years, was at The Rozz Restaurant and Entertainment Complex on Advance Blvd., near Dixie Rd. and Steeles Ave. W., for a poker tournament Saturday afternoon.

It's believed two men armed with guns entered the establishment looking for cash around 3 p.m.

Kearn tried to intervene and was fatally shot in the chest, becoming Peel's fifth murder victim of the year.

"I've been told my brother grabbed one of the gunmen and was disarming him when the second guy shot him," Kendall said of the deadly incident.

A witness told him dozens of people were in the restaurant and they could have been hurt or killed if his brother hadn't intervened.

The assailants remain on the loose, but Peel police have released few details.

Kendall said his brother had never been in trouble but he wouldn't hesitate to help someone in need.

"With the training and the confidence that comes with it, I'm sure he probably thought he could overpower the gunman," he said.

Kearn, who had two amateur fights under his belt, hoped to turn pro as early as this year.

"He was always at the gym," he said. "It was his life."

Fellow fighters at Kombat Arts Training Academy in Mississauga, where Kearn trained before switching to a different gym recently, are also grieving.

"This is very shocking to all of us," said Sylwester Organka, the gym's manager and senior Muay Thai instructor. "He was such an incredible human being."

Standing at about 6-foot-6 and with an incredibly long reach, Kearn had all the tools to be successful in MMA, Organka and others said.

"He was full of life and joked around a lot. But when he came to his training, he was very serious," Organka added.

Boxing instructor Rafael Delgado said Kearn was well respected as a person and a fighter.

"He was a super nice guy, always upbeat and smiling," he said. "He definitely will be missed."

Anyone with information is urged to call homicide detectives at 905-453-2121, ext. 3205, or pass on anonymous tips to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

JamesC
04-19-2011, 08:01 AM
For some reason, his brother's words seemed a little off to me. His choice of words just seemed, impersonal. Probably reading into it way too much, though.

Respect for saving lives.

sanjuro_ronin
04-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Everyone reacts differently to death, some people become very distant and "cold".
I didn't know him, but he used to train where I trained for a bit, years ago.

Sardinkahnikov
04-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Makes you imagine what kind of circumstance would make that man try his luck against two armed robbers...

RIP.

Scott R. Brown
04-19-2011, 09:52 AM
I am sorry, I don't see HERO here. I see another martial artist who thought he was Superman!

Even MMAist are prone to think they are invincible!

It is clear that the odds were that no one would've been hurt if he had just let them rob the place. There were at least a dozen people present? And they only shot the ONE guy who tried to stop them?

I am probably stupid enough to try to take on one armed robber, under some special circumstances, but I would never try to take on two!

One of my brother-in-law's buddies was an ex-Army Special Forces guy, Kempo Black Belt who got killed by his ex-girlfriend with a .32.

sanjuro_ronin
04-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Valid points guys.
Not sure what was going through his head, perhaps it was indeed a "MA superman" mindset that may have taken over.
Bad enough to go against ONE Armed assailant, much less TWO.
I know of a couple of guys that suffered from that mindset, both woke up from it without major issues ( one did get cut pretty bad, but was fine).

Lucas
04-19-2011, 10:51 AM
I would not take away from this guy giving his life up. however being the jerk that i am, and being realistic and speaking from experience, some would not call that heroic... i'll leave that at that though. ive personally been in numerous situations just like that. i was not there so cant assess what was happening or who was present. first and foremost if you want to do the right thing in that situation is you take into account the other people present and their lives above all. you actions need to reflect that. this was bad outcome #1, #2 would be he lived and his actions got someone else killed.

standard mma training however does not cover this type of scenario. mental training targeted at these types of assualt situations is the best thing you can have to be able to keep your cool and get EVERYONE out safely. my most recent personally was a bomb threat, followed with demands. You HAVE to assume the worst, and act accordingly. comply with demands, give the items/money, get them out, go home safe.

money means nothing.....i also assume that this poker tourney had some sort of insurance in place... unless they were GOING to hurt someone, standing aside is the best thing you can do.

its sad and unfortunate.

sanjuro_ronin
04-19-2011, 12:24 PM
This is far more freaky than I imagined.
I just got a visit from Peel Police, looking for information on this murder.
It seems that it happened just across the street from where I work.
The name of the building didn't register when I read this...
Peel has a 98% apprehension rate so that is a good thing.
But freaky !

Lucas
04-19-2011, 12:28 PM
oh wow...that is a good rate though, i hope they can catch these guys. not much worse than homicidle serial/career criminals....

Iron_Eagle_76
04-19-2011, 12:37 PM
This is a sad situation but you have to ask, was it bravery or merely instinct. Since we don't have much information to go on it is hard to say what caused this man to react the way he did, perhaps he felt threatened in a way that caused him to believe these men would kill him or another bystander, who knows. In this type of situation most law enforcement personnel will tell you to give the perps what they want.

Statistically they will not shoot and kill someone if they give them what they want. Armed robbery is a steep prison sentence but still has nothing on murder. Not to mention the added heat a robbery brings with murder tacked on top of it. I don't want to sound degrading of what this man did, however, statistically speaking he would have been better off letting them rob the place. No amount of money is worth your life or the life of another.

David Jamieson
04-19-2011, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't read too much into this.

The guy was trying to do the right thing and it went really wrong for him.
I don't see him as a hero either, just a guy who tried to do what was right and failed.

Someone who put more thought into it would have been calling 911 on a cell phone and watching the robbers and trying to remember everything about what they look like what they wore etc.

he simply wanted to do the right thing and wasn't thinking about the possible consequences of that.

It is Alex Gong all over again.

bawang
04-20-2011, 10:42 AM
this guy achieved the highest level of honor for a martial artist. he died fighting and not afraid of death. i wish i have his courage.

Scott R. Brown
04-20-2011, 11:00 AM
this guy achieved the highest level of honor for a martial artist. he died fighting and not afraid of death. i wish i have his courage.

I am pretty sure the highest level is to crush your enemies and hear the lamentation of their women!

I heard it somewhere and the source, as I recall, was pretty reliable!

taai gihk yahn
04-20-2011, 11:12 AM
I am pretty sure the highest level is to crush your enemies and hear the lamentation of their women!

I heard it somewhere and the source, as I recall, was pretty reliable!

you forgot about seeing them driven before you; yeesh, what sort of Celestial Overlord are you if you can't even get that part straight!

Scott R. Brown
04-20-2011, 11:23 AM
you forgot about seeing them driven before you; yeesh, what sort of Celestial Overlord are you if you can't even get that part straight!

Shhhhh its just my latest scam for fleecing the old ladies at the old folks home I volunteer at!

I'm not really the Overlord, per se, I'm more like the Overlord's, um......sort of........foot masssuesessssssernessly!

bawang
04-20-2011, 11:25 AM
i was actually being serious. please dont joke on thist thread

Phil Redmond
04-20-2011, 10:47 PM
This is far more freaky than I imagined.
I just got a visit from Peel Police, looking for information on this murder.
It seems that it happened just across the street from where I work.
The name of the building didn't register when I read this...
Peel has a 98% apprehension rate so that is a good thing.
But freaky !
Peel cops are no joke. I practically lived in Ontario for about 5 years. Mostly in Southern Ontario but I have friends in the GTA that I visited often. I even know people around Finch and Jane. ;). I had this stereotypical "American" image of Canada until I lived there. There are some rough areas around TO. Like Scarborough for example.

David Jamieson
05-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Peel cops are no joke. I practically lived in Ontario for about 5 years. Mostly in Southern Ontario but I have friends in the GTA that I visited often. I even know people around Finch and Jane. ;). I had this stereotypical "American" image of Canada until I lived there. There are some rough areas around TO. Like Scarborough for example.

lol. Toronto is the most American city Canada has. :)
And yeah, we got ghettos and high crime neighbourhoods, gun violence, meth and crack problems, homeless, hookers, grifters, drifters, killers, hoods and ganstas.

Jane & Finch still have a bad reputation despite being bulldozed into parking lots and strip malls ages ago. It is still a ghetto more or less.