PDA

View Full Version : "weaknesses of BJJ"

MixedMartialArtist
10-01-2001, 09:19 PM
ran across this link in my random perusings of the internet....found it interesting and thought I'd share.
http://bjj.org/editorials/970824-bjjweak/

rogue
10-01-2001, 11:25 PM
Some good points.

http://www.interesting.com/stories/gadsden/images/museumshop.jpg

From now on, enemies who are associated with terrorist activity will not cohabit the globe with the United States of America. William F. Buckley

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban soon to be getting his first of 70 virgins.

“Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.” [I]Last words of Todd Beamer heard over his open mobile line right before rushi

SifuAbel
10-02-2001, 08:29 AM
It seems a bit contradictory in the last point that stand up striking skills are concidered so unimportant yet in the other points it was the constant battering while avoiding the takedown that made it so difficult to make it strickly a grappling game.

Are you immortal?
sifuabel@yahoo.com

Xebsball
10-03-2001, 07:25 AM
Did you guys know that the style with most loses in IVC is bjj?
Not trying to start anything, just tought this was interesting.

Check it here:
http://www.valetudo.com.br/estatisticas.htm

BTW, the guy that owns IVC trained kung fu for 16 years.

-------------------------
"Faltou luz mas era Dia, o Sol invadiu a sala. Fez da tv um espelho, refletindo o que a gente esquecia."

chokeyouout2
10-03-2001, 05:40 PM
90% of the fighters are Jiu jitsu.Sharp as a bowling ball.

Aint nobody talkin when i'm talkin so shut the fu9k up!

Jaguar Wong
10-03-2001, 11:04 PM
Did you guys know that 100% of the losers in the NBA are pro basket ball players? Something to think about. :p

Jaguar Wong

Watchman
10-03-2001, 11:49 PM
Did you realize that the overwhelming majority of people living in Mexico are Mexicans? :eek:

Xebsball
10-04-2001, 05:23 AM
If 90% are jiu jitsu, and jiu jitsu is the ultimate best invincible style, then shouldnt jiu jitsu be the one with most wins instead of wrestling?

"Faltou luz mas era Dia, o Sol invadiu a sala. Fez da tv um espelho, refletindo o que a gente esquecia."

Grahf1
10-04-2001, 07:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If 90% are jiu jitsu, and jiu jitsu is the ultimate best invincible style, then shouldnt jiu jitsu be the one with most wins instead of wrestling?[/quote]

Wrestling does not have the most wins in IVC. Luta Livre does.

Xebsball
10-04-2001, 08:12 AM
Luta Livre means Free Wrestling.

Jaguar Wong
10-04-2001, 05:16 PM
I thought it meant free fighting, like vale tudo, or shooto.

Jaguar Wong

SifuAbel
10-04-2001, 11:15 PM
luta=fight

libre= free

vale tudo roughly means "everything goes" or "all fair"

Are you immortal?
sifuabel@yahoo.com

Silumkid
10-05-2001, 02:09 AM
"There is a desperate need for submission events without clothing"??? :eek:

No thank you.

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

Grahf1
10-05-2001, 09:22 AM
BJJ guys have a history of beating Luta Livre guys.

Cyborg
10-06-2001, 09:36 PM
Geez, sounds like a bunch of strikers arguing about the finer points of grappling. The article was well written and I agree with most of it.

As for striking not being important in the first half of the article and then being important in the last half, it was because of the difference between a street fight and a tournament. Tournament = one opponent only.
Street fight = his friends joining in. :(

Any body wanna spar?

SifuAbel
10-06-2001, 10:03 PM
I disagree. The article came from the bjj point of view. And, the striking issue was presented at first as a major factor then later downplayed in the final point; I guess to fit with style dogma.
It mentioned nothing about street reality.

Are you immortal?
sifuabel@yahoo.com

Cyborg
10-09-2001, 02:16 PM
Yes it does come from the BJJ point of view. But he does bring up street reality, and the reason he says striking is less important in the street is that both are clothed. I find that makes a large difference, not only in what you can grab but also how much sweat the clothes absorb. It's hard to joint lock a sweaty, slippery body.

Also, in the second to last paragraph he states that the advantage goes to the one who strikes first, and hard. So I don't think you can say he's just discounting striking. And neither am I.

Any body wanna spar?

SifuAbel
10-09-2001, 10:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Standup striking skills are of least importance if a BJJ fighter has the takedown and stamina of a world class wrestler. Vitor Belfort's astonishing boxing skills are an anomaly, not the norm. Of course it doesn't hurt to know how to strike well, but according to the 20:80 rule which states 20% of the effort accounts for 80% of the result, takedown and ground grappling skills reign supreme to standup striking skills. [/quote]m

Are you immortal?
sifuabel@yahoo.com

Cyborg
10-10-2001, 03:52 PM
I didn't understand what you were trying to say maestroabel.

In the article he discussed lower body submissions as well. For those who are interested in leg locks I haven't found them to be all that great. Legs are so much stronger than the arms that it's hard to apply. Can anyone confirm or deny this? At the same time pls. tell me your style and years of experience.

Thanks.

Any body wanna spar?

SifuAbel
10-11-2001, 12:04 AM
My credentials you can view in my profile. My original point was a critique on the dogma of the article. Much was said about striking but in the end it was downplayed as non-important. i

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com

Knifefighter
10-11-2001, 12:14 AM
Cyborg:
Don't mind Abel. As usual, he doesn't have a clue.

As far as the leg locks, if you find an instructor that knows them well, they are awesome. Many a seasoned grappler has been defeated by a less experienced grappler who surprised him with a leg lock.

Cyborg
10-11-2001, 04:26 AM
Knife fighter: really what I was wondering was how hard are they to apply? I wasn't able to get them on a strong friend who was my size but I was on a smaller guy. I have Eric Paulsons leg lock tape but he doesn't give very good explanations, just demo's it and moves on. Perhaps you can recommend a better tape.

Maestro, I wasn't attacking you personally, I simply wasn't clear on that last post. I did think that he made his point clear, he differentiated between the ring and the street.

Any body wanna spar?

Knifefighter
10-11-2001, 08:55 PM
Cyborg:
I consider leg locks to be "the great equalizer." They can be learned relatively quickly and can mess up people who have more experience than you. I don't think tapes are the best way to learn them. Rather than a tape, I would recommend doing a few privates with someone who knows them well.

Jaguar Wong
10-12-2001, 01:00 AM
and don't try the heelhook unless someone with experience shows you how to do it properly :)

Jaguar Wong