PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun is a linear or circular art?

yenhoi
10-30-2001, 11:53 PM
Is Wing Chun really a strickly linear art?

As it seems to me, straight lines - straight punches and straight intercepts come about due to the seach for simplicity - economy of movement, attacking the opponents centerline and structure, etc.

People chat here and there about compatable arts with Wing Chun, basing the majority of thier comments on the linear or circular nature of Wing Chun and other arts techniques.

I am not advanced enough in the art of Wing Chun to aptly conclude this question or even debate it fully, although I know some of you here are, and will have wonderfull comments.

I cringe when people describe my art by calling it linear.

strike!

Watchman
10-31-2001, 12:04 AM
Wing Chun doesn't define itself by being "linear" or "circular".

The conception of it being a "linear" art comes from the shortest distance between two points principle. Imagine you're planning on taking a road trip from your home to a faraway city. You take out your map and plot the shortest most efficient course to your destination. That course, depending on the circumstances of the terrain, won't be specifically linear or circular.

Your opponent dictates the circumstances of the encounter, and you simply utilize the most efficient means to get the job done.

Kung Lek
10-31-2001, 12:14 AM
it's a dodecahedron :D

and to say otherwise is obtuse hahahahahaha...ppy hallowe'en.

merrily merrily merrily...oops sorry watchman ;)

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Sharky
10-31-2001, 01:16 AM
troll!

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

yenhoi
10-31-2001, 01:24 AM
anti-troll!

wrong board, sorry.

strike!

Watchman
10-31-2001, 01:37 AM
Stop trolling. ;)

Sharky stole my punchline, though. :(

Sharky
10-31-2001, 01:50 AM
HEHeEHeEeeheheHEheEHeheheeEheheHEHeHEehEHeeH

" . "

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

dedalus
10-31-2001, 07:26 AM
Although I previously studied wing chun and only got so much out of it, I'm beginning to realise that there is some more advanced stuff out there - perhaps amongst those who are willing to let it evolve.

I've found wing chun to be a very good fighting system so far as fast returns go, but I haven't found it to be very compatible with other arts. Perhaps your experience is evidence that it can be.