PDA

View Full Version : Old UFC versus New UFC

Daedalus
10-01-2001, 10:44 PM
I caught the UFC this past Friday night and although many of the bouts were interesting to watch, I was looking forward to the style versus style thing that they used to have.

This was the first UFC that I have watched since about UFC 4. They used to really go into alot of detail about the style that the fighter was trained in. This last UFC did not have that. Oh yeah, it mentioned that they trained primarily in Gracie Jiujitsu or Thug-jitsu (lol), but they did not go into much detail.

Besides that, the fighters all did the same sort of stuff. It looked more like street brawling than martial arts. Now, I'm not saying these guys are not skilled and couldn't kick my a$$. I'm just saying that compared to the original UFC, this one looked more like a Tuff Man Contest. :(

azwingchun
10-01-2001, 11:04 PM
I completely agree w/you 100%, the old UFC was the best thing to hit television. Anymore these guys all do the same style(for the most part), they just seem to come from different camps. I wish that someone would go back to the old UFC style of competition, you know actual traditional style vs. others.

SifuAbel
10-02-2001, 08:32 AM
One friend of mine described the last UFC as an attempt to be like WWF in content. Lights, music, weak fight dogging and barking between fights. Is UFC becomeing just another "sports entertainment" venue?

Are you immortal?
sifuabel@yahoo.com

Shaolindynasty
10-02-2001, 08:03 PM
Yeah me and my friends were watching it and we all made jokes about it looking like the WWF like every five minutes. Do you smell what tito's cookin? The fights were horrible, I don't care what anybody says it was sooo boring. None of the fights were even close, they were all desicions. I wasn't a huge fan of UFC in the early years but at least it was entertaining

New classes New online Catalog
www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

Knifefighter
10-02-2001, 10:49 PM
The UFC has definitely changed from the old days of style vs. style, no weight categories, and only three rules. The UFC is trying to take some marketing and promotional ideas from the successful pro-wrestling world. They need to do things like this in order to remain a viable business.

The reason there is no style vs. style anymore is that by the time fighters have reached the level of fighting at the UFC, they have to train the same styles to be competitive. These days, the only style vs. style matches you will see are at the local level, and even these are becoming less and less common as the fighters figure out what you can use in order to be successful in MMA competitions.

As far as being boring, it depends on your perspective. Some of the fights are boring no matter what. However, if you are a student of fight strategy and understand the subtleties of the ground game, many of the fights are quite interesting and informative.
ˇ

jun_erh
10-03-2001, 12:42 AM
What's killed it for me is the gracie ju-jitsu. When it was basically bare knuckle boxing I liked it, but that Gracie hold thing is ludicrous. In the fight w/ Ken Shamrock, Shamrock's hand are inches from his colorbone, his eyes, his throat, but he just lays there. This is not fighting. You can't lie there while someone is fighting you and wait for them to tire out. If someone tried to do that to me I'd bite their nipple off. :mad:

Mr. Nemo
10-03-2001, 01:50 AM
I liked the last UFC. The Edwards/Serra fight and the Menne/Castillo fight were both very good.

There are boring fights, and there are "technical" fights where fighters try to use a gameplan. Pulver/Hallman was just boring, in my opinion. Pulver/Uno was technical, and one of my favorite fights ever. Menne/Castillo was also a great fight, I was on the edge of my seat, even though it went to decision. Tito/Vladdy was ok.

I like the modern UFC better, because the fighters are better. I will watch UFC 34 on PPV.