PDA

View Full Version : Wingchun Attachmate Dummy on Punching Bag

CYMac
04-26-2011, 03:52 AM
This baby is cool, made nicely and now the wooden dummy got to a whole new level of challenge, because it MOVE!!!! with this, you will learn that you cannot hit the dummy too hard or else it will SPIN!

Great for practicing "silence dummy", which is to do the whole dummy form in the right place but NOT touching the dummy too much!

CYMac
04-26-2011, 03:54 AM
more photos and even my pal domokun is on the dummy first time! yeah~

oh by the way, you might realized that this is placed in my bedroom, yeah, that's what I am talking about with the space in the condo.. sucks.. but that's all I can do with this 100lb punching bag~! :)

CYMac
04-26-2011, 04:34 AM
forgot to put a note... this attachmate is not easy to setup buy one person, you need two pair of hands to make it easy, one to hold the thing in place and the other guy have to fasten the velcro strip that holds the attachmate onteh sandbag. The velcro is quite long, you can hang it on even larger bags as well. Really cool stuff, you can use this on even the wavemater bags as well

Phil Redmond
04-26-2011, 04:46 AM
That's a nice idea. If they came with level arms I'd recommend it to my students.

CYMac
04-26-2011, 05:04 AM
That's a nice idea. If they came with level arms I'd recommend it to my students.

http://www.kungfu4less.com/att01.html

I got mine here.

TenTigers
04-26-2011, 07:52 AM
I agree with Phil. It seems that it was designed by someone who didn't have WCK experience, but simply has seen a dummy. The arm placement is wrong.
Again, we go back to that conversation about the offset arms, with people not understanding that they were designed that way so that when placed PROPERLY, they are level.
Perhaps if enough WCK people contact the company, they will change their design.
I know I would definately buy one.

CYMac
04-26-2011, 07:55 AM
I agree with Phil. It seems that it was designed by someone who didn't have WCK experience, but simply has seen a dummy. The arm placement is wrong.
Again, we go back to that conversation about the offset arms, with people not understanding that they were designed that way so that when placed PROPERLY, they are level.
Perhaps if enough WCK people contact the company, they will change their design.
I know I would definately buy one.

Yes, and the arms are too far apart as well. Not like the wooden one I got in my temple before. (now the dummy is gone) The fun part is about the spinning around and things like that, not the dummy itself, haha!

LoneTiger108
04-26-2011, 08:08 AM
The arm placement is wrong.

And the arms need to be level because we want to keep our body uniformed and equal right? This is an old argument that gets everyone nowhere.

If you do not know why the arms are offset, then please don't promote the equal arms, especially if you're not a Wing Chun student either!

I agree that the gap looks far too wide, but it still looks like a fun training addition to your heavy bags :D

CYMac
04-26-2011, 08:21 AM
And the arms need to be level because we want to keep our body uniformed and equal right? This is an old argument that gets everyone nowhere.

If you do not know why the arms are offset, then please don't promote the equal arms, especially if you're not a Wing Chun student either!

I agree that the gap looks far to wide, but it still looks like a fun training addition to your heavy bags :D

equal arms or not, I don't care, it doesn't really matter unless you are going to fight dummy for the whole life and not real people.. haha!

The attachmate is something good to get newbies started and it doesn't cost as much as a real wooden dummy. I got mine before for like $800 CAD with shipping and that's just crazy man, for one training tool? I don't think a newbie like to spend that much and he or she is not even sure about they like to continue the learning or not.. so this thing cost like $100 and it's affordable.. plus they can put that on the punching bag which if they don't train wingchun, they can train other things with the punching bag as well.

so.. overall, I am okay with this new training tool, for wingchun dummy, it's okay too because the gap is big, but it's understandable because the thing really swing around and it's going to be super hard to do a form on it too, takes practice. I will shoot a video doing a dummy form with it and let people see in the future, it's going to be interesting~ :)

LoneTiger108
04-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Its great to hear someone so eager :)

I've still to check out your other cips first! Can't keep up with you at the moment :D

TenTigers
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM

I agree that the gap looks far too wide, but it still looks like a fun training addition to your heavy bags :D

actually, I used to train in WCK, although I am by no means an expert like yourself..
And..as far as the "offset design" go look up the other thread on this-especially when they speak of Koo Sang's original designs.

CYMac
04-26-2011, 12:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1NgXYoypt0

me doing the wingchun dummy form slowly~~ with the new baby, it's tough!

CYMac
04-26-2011, 01:18 PM

The dummy is not dumb, it moves! Not easy, quite challenging for force control and you got to hit straight to not let the bag swing left or right, cool toy~

David Jamieson
04-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Hit harder!

lose the wing chun junk on that perfectly good heavy bag. :)

jab/cross/hook/piston the crap out of that thing, both sides, in and out 2 or 3 minutes at a time non stop.

CYMac
04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Hit harder!

lose the wing chun junk on that perfectly good heavy bag. :)

jab/cross/hook/piston the crap out of that thing, both sides, in and out 2 or 3 minutes at a time non stop.

I used to, but now I am gentle with it, which is even harder!

BTW, the bag is 100lb, half as me! haha!

CYMac
04-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Why are you posting multiple threads with the same crap. You posted this in the Wing Chun forum already

just simple as "sorry, I forgot".

wenshu
04-26-2011, 01:30 PM

The dummy is not dumb, it moves! Not easy, quite challenging for force control and you got to hit straight to not let the bag swing left or right, cool toy~

Celestial Taoverse master needs to clean his room.

Although, I find doing Wing Chun in one's boxers really is the best.

CYMac
04-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Celestial Taoverse master needs to clean his room.

Although, I find doing Wing Chun in one's boxers really is the best.

hahahaha! why not? I am so hard training, even before and after sleep!

couch
04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
FYI:

Your marketing is flawed.

k gledhill
04-26-2011, 06:40 PM
axis not fixed, no ging :D if you can make the 'heavy bag' stop spinning on its axis you might be on to something...

CYMac
04-28-2011, 04:41 AM
axis not fixed, no ging :D if you can make the 'heavy bag' stop spinning on its axis you might be on to something...

Doing the dummy is not about "ging" or about "power". The traditional way of doing the dummy is actually very soft and what you are hearing is only the wood banging each others when you do light contact with them. Many have thought it is to do it rough and tough, which is not right.

In GZWC, there is a saying "生樁死打, 死樁生打" Live dummy you hit it like it is dead, dead dummy, you hit it as if it is alive.

This saying means to hit a human, your hands position must be precise and you must hit it like a dead wooden dummy , so your hands do not go out of place even in a chaotic situation. When you hit the dead dummy, wooden ones, you hit like hitting a real person, and that means your body must be agile, mobile and quick in reflex, shifting stance and all that. But, the main point of doing a dummy is to bring precision to your hands techniques and not to put anger on the poor dummy. If you hit it too hard, you will hurt your hands because the dummy must be harder than your arms. It's stupid to hit hard objects with force, that is against the theory of "using less force to encounter big force" in wingchun. Wingchun is indeed a woman created style, why you think you need to have so much force and power?

In GZWC, there is a stage of practice call "磨樁", (grind the dummy) which is by doing the dummy form in a silence manner, just hands to the position and not hitting it hard. That way, you can control over your movements and have fun with boosting the accuracy and precision of your hands movements while doing the form.

If you want to use any "ging" or any "power", you can just purely hit a sand bag or a heavy bag or even a wavemaster target. Those are what it is for.

Plus, many WC practitioner haev a common problem and that is they are being way too ideal with their style saying it is "practical". It is, if you only fight WC guys, but it is not anymore when you are facing the world. I do train in WC for over 10 yrs already and I have fought various styles sifu who also teach as well. I can tell you that WC (only by itself) does have a lot of common flaws that one must be aware of.

First, the punches, people do not aware of the face that doing these wheel punches are not really useful against some styles or even arts. The problem is, hitting the dummy, hitting carvas bags and hitting the heavy bag and hitting human is different. You may feel very confident with chi sau, but many have already used 100% of their force and power in chi sau competition already, I am being honest, nobody fight in the competition with holding back any force, that is the truth. I have been in competition fighting and so I know what it is like, people are VERY nasty when it comes to getting ranked and medals. So have you notice the punches and strikes are NOT lethal?

Many WC practitioners are shocked when they actually get into a real fight because their strikes are not that ideal anymore, the power is not lethal enough and your stopping power is not great enough. Yeah, good luck with the 1-inch-punch demo with the board, I can do it too, so what? It doesn't work on the human body you know? When you do it on a heavy bag, you will know the impact and the feeling is very different.

Just IMO, but you can of course say yours. (over 10 years of WC life)

k gledhill
04-28-2011, 05:04 AM
Doing the dummy is not about "ging" or about "power". The traditional way of doing the dummy is actually very soft and what you are hearing is only the wood banging each others when you do light contact with them. Many have thought it is to do it rough and tough, which is not right.

In GZWC, there is a saying "生樁死打, 死樁生打" Live dummy you hit it like it is dead, dead dummy, you hit it as if it is alive.

This saying means to hit a human, your hands position must be precise and you must hit it like a dead wooden dummy , so your hands do not go out of place even in a chaotic situation. When you hit the dead dummy, wooden ones, you hit like hitting a real person, and that means your body must be agile, mobile and quick in reflex, shifting stance and all that. But, the main point of doing a dummy is to bring precision to your hands techniques and not to put anger on the poor dummy. If you hit it too hard, you will hurt your hands because the dummy must be harder than your arms. It's stupid to hit hard objects with force, that is against the theory of "using less force to encounter big force" in wingchun. Wingchun is indeed a woman created style, why you think you need to have so much force and power?

In GZWC, there is a stage of practice call "磨樁", (grind the dummy) which is by doing the dummy form in a silence manner, just hands to the position and not hitting it hard. That way, you can control over your movements and have fun with boosting the accuracy and precision of your hands movements while doing the form.

If you want to use any "ging" or any "power", you can just purely hit a sand bag or a heavy bag or even a wavemaster target. Those are what it is for.

Plus, many WC practitioner haev a common problem and that is they are being way too ideal with their style saying it is "practical". It is, if you only fight WC guys, but it is not anymore when you are facing the world. I do train in WC for over 10 yrs already and I have fought various styles sifu who also teach as well. I can tell you that WC (only by itself) does have a lot of common flaws that one must be aware of.

First, the punches, people do not aware of the face that doing these wheel punches are not really useful against some styles or even arts. The problem is, hitting the dummy, hitting carvas bags and hitting the heavy bag and hitting human is different. You may feel very confident with chi sau, but many have already used 100% of their force and power in chi sau competition already, I am being honest, nobody fight in the competition with holding back any force, that is the truth. I have been in competition fighting and so I know what it is like, people are VERY nasty when it comes to getting ranked and medals. So have you notice the punches and strikes are NOT lethal?

Many WC practitioners are shocked when they actually get into a real fight because their strikes are not that ideal anymore, the power is not lethal enough and your stopping power is not great enough. Yeah, good luck with the 1-inch-punch demo with the board, I can do it too, so what? It doesn't work on the human body you know? When you do it on a heavy bag, you will know the impact and the feeling is very different.

thankyou for that 10 year insight

wkmark
04-28-2011, 07:56 AM

I would actually be interested to hear about who you learned your 10 years of WC from as well as the fighting experiences you have with other styles sifu. (definitely more interested in the actual fights with other style sifu's) The reason I am interested is because I wish to know from your point of view what your take of the common flaws of Wing Chun are. Please do share...

As for the "Wheel punches" being useful or not, If you are referring to the Wing Chun Punches as "Wheel Punches" I would hope you are kidding; because yes "Wheel punches" would probably get your head knocked off, while "Chain punching" would work given certain criteria, such as distance.. timing, the way you punch.....etc.

As for your comments on the Chi sao competitions, hitting the heavy bag and wall canvas bag.. um.. sorry I must say you lost me there. I really have NO idea what you were trying to say. I read that paragraph many times already and I STILL don't know what you are trying to say.

In regards to the the usage of Wing Chun in a real fight, I would like to say there are many here that would contradict what you mentioned. I think more than one or two here on this forum would tell you that their Wing Chun worked for them during their fights. If it didn't I doubt people would continue practicing.

Overall, from looking at your web page you seem like a normal person (except your take on religions and such which I won't go into, since different people have different opinions). Each to their own and since you aren't trying to convert us all, you are more than happy to follow whichever paths suits you.

However, the part that rattles me a bit is your take on Wing Chun. Your 10 years of WC would matter very little to the crowds in this forum, since a good majority of them have learned it say... um.. 20-30 years and are all able to at least mention and credit who they learned it from.

If you want to stick with forms collection and say that you learn Wing Chun as a "hobby" or as "forms trading" with other sifu's, then go ahead and stick with that. but to say that Wing Chun has a lot of common problems and this and that such as your above mentioned quote, gives me an image that it is something that you really have no clue what you are talking about. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Perhaps I woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning but the things that you mention with Wing Chun is probably some of the most bizarre things i have heard up til this point.

Also your wing chun attachmate dummy on punching bag, it really defeats the purpose of the wooden dummy in the first place. You would probably do better WITHOUT the attachments.

anerlich
04-28-2011, 06:13 PM
over 10 years of WC life

A comparative beginner compared to many on the forum, then.

CYMac
04-28-2011, 07:59 PM
I would actually be interested to hear about who you learned your 10 years of WC from as well as the fighting experiences you have with other styles sifu. (definitely more interested in the actual fights with other style sifu's) The reason I am interested is because I wish to know from your point of view what your take of the common flaws of Wing Chun are. Please do share...

As for the "Wheel punches" being useful or not, If you are referring to the Wing Chun Punches as "Wheel Punches" I would hope you are kidding; because yes "Wheel punches" would probably get your head knocked off, while "Chain punching" would work given certain criteria, such as distance.. timing, the way you punch.....etc.

As for your comments on the Chi sao competitions, hitting the heavy bag and wall canvas bag.. um.. sorry I must say you lost me there. I really have NO idea what you were trying to say. I read that paragraph many times already and I STILL don't know what you are trying to say.

In regards to the the usage of Wing Chun in a real fight, I would like to say there are many here that would contradict what you mentioned. I think more than one or two here on this forum would tell you that their Wing Chun worked for them during their fights. If it didn't I doubt people would continue practicing.

Overall, from looking at your web page you seem like a normal person (except your take on religions and such which I won't go into, since different people have different opinions). Each to their own and since you aren't trying to convert us all, you are more than happy to follow whichever paths suits you.

However, the part that rattles me a bit is your take on Wing Chun. Your 10 years of WC would matter very little to the crowds in this forum, since a good majority of them have learned it say... um.. 20-30 years and are all able to at least mention and credit who they learned it from.

If you want to stick with forms collection and say that you learn Wing Chun as a "hobby" or as "forms trading" with other sifu's, then go ahead and stick with that. but to say that Wing Chun has a lot of common problems and this and that such as your above mentioned quote, gives me an image that it is something that you really have no clue what you are talking about. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Perhaps I woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning but the things that you mention with Wing Chun is probably some of the most bizarre things i have heard up til this point.

Also your wing chun attachmate dummy on punching bag, it really defeats the purpose of the wooden dummy in the first place. You would probably do better WITHOUT the attachments.

Have fun with your own path then. I don't see a need of discussion here as I don't see a point at all. If you feel WC is very practical, good for you then. Enjoy it your way.