PDA

View Full Version : Sword fight erupts at Sikh temple in NYC

MasterKiller
04-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Dojo Storm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inK4n9GiFgQ&feature=player_embedded

NEW YORK -- A brawl involving cricket bats and small swords at a Sikh temple in New York City has led to riot and assault charges against seven people. Police say the defendants interrupted prayer services at the Baba Makhan Shah Lubana Sikh Center in Queens on Sunday. They were arraigned Monday. Temple president Jamail Singh told the Daily News that the fight was instigated by a dissident group of followers who are opposed to opening up membership. The dispute is at the center of a lawsuit in state Supreme Court. Some of those arrested Sunday also were charged with disrupting a religious service.

taai gihk yahn
04-26-2011, 02:56 PM
for years LKFMDC and I have been saying that Sihks don't breed well in captivity, and I guess this just proves our point...

(harmless but waaaay inside joke btw me & Ross, not a jab at Sihks)

David Jamieson
04-26-2011, 03:18 PM
When was this? The timestamp at the end of the vid says 2005, so I don't think it's recent...

Is this still a point of contention in NY?

Also, wtf kind of swords are those, they look barbed/serrated. Amazing no one was severely injured...?

swords look like fairly typical of Indian sabers and scimitars. hard to see the mix there.

As points of contention go, this is a severe abuse in actuality. Religiously speaking, and almost any religion.

Kind of like the killing of Thomas Becket in 1170, who whilst exercising the right of sanctuary, as granted, was killed in sanctuary. More than likely on the orders of Henry II. This was more importantly an assertion of secular power over the church of Rome at the time.

Sanctuary was abolished in 1623 by James I.

And that's when the churches power started to wain against the masses of powerful and wealthy kings that arose in the period following the fall of the roman empire and the rise of kingdoms and empires in their own right across Europe.

Massive schism occurred with the protestant reformation and roman power was lost regionally and mostly throughout the western European kingdoms.

The fundamental religion remained the same though. Christianity in Europe, Islam across the caliphate, Judaism in a state of diaspora, although it was the state religion of the Khazar empire (Ukraine), which fell in the 11th century.

taai gihk yahn
04-26-2011, 03:42 PM
swords look like fairly typical of Indian sabers and scimitars. hard to see the mix there.

As points of contention go, this is a severe abuse in actuality. Religiously speaking, and almost any religion.

Kind of like the killing of Thomas Becket in 1170, who whilst exercising the right of sanctuary, as granted, was killed in sanctuary. More than likely on the orders of Henry II. This was more importantly an assertion of secular power over the church of Rome at the time.

And that's when the churches power started to wain against the masses of powerful and wealthy kings that arose in the period following the fall of the roman empire and the rise of kingdoms and empires in their own right across Europe.

Massive schism occurred with the protestant reformation and roman power was lost regionally and mostly throughout the western European kingdoms.

The fundamental religion remained the same though. Christianity in Europe, Islam across the caliphate, Judaism in a state of diaspora, although it was the state religion of the Khazar empire (Ukraine), which fell in the 11th century.

Another thread saved by the power of Non-Sequitor Man!

David Jamieson
04-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Interesting history.

I'm not following how this links up with what happened at the Sikh temple though... Are you meaning to say that, because the temple is in a country that does not have the law of sanctuary, this type of behaviour should be expected? It may not be what you mean, I'm simply wondering.

It's my understanding that the attack was precipitated as a response to something that happened in the morning of that day... apparently something to do with offering sanctuary or space to a non-Sikh?

What I am saying is that a temple is a place of sanctuary always.

It would appear however, and throughout history, that people do not actually choose for this to be so. This incident is just another illustration of that sad point.

I apologize if I was too far away from that salience. :)

B.Tunks
04-26-2011, 04:14 PM

That's about as on track as my ANZAC post in your Ming thread.

lkfmdc
04-26-2011, 08:03 PM
for years LKFMDC and I have been saying that Sihks don't breed well in captivity, and I guess this just proves our point...

(harmless but waaaay inside joke btw me & Ross, not a jab at Sihks)

Originally a Laurette-ism, so WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY BAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKK

bawang
04-26-2011, 08:27 PM
punjabis gone wild

crazy chutias lol

wenshu
04-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Sikhs may not be very good fighters but they can cook the **** out of some vegetarian food.

David Jamieson
04-27-2011, 04:34 AM
That's about as on track as my ANZAC post in your Ming thread.

touché ;) :p

Shaolin
04-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Ah religion, the mother for war.

Lucas
04-27-2011, 09:19 AM
It may be war's mother but its also mankinds wh0re!

David Jamieson
04-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm offended by Bawang's use of profanity.

It's ok man, that'll pass and you'll get used to him.

Lucas
04-27-2011, 10:38 AM
It's ok man, that'll pass and you'll get used to him.

i have a really funny side project about bawang that when i post it everyone here will love stay tuned lol

Shaolinlueb
04-27-2011, 09:14 PM
that fight was pretty sikh......

David Jamieson
04-28-2011, 04:46 AM
that fight was pretty sikh......

Boooooooo.