PDA

View Full Version : Taking Teaching Up Another Level

mooyingmantis
04-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Over the years I have listened to many friends describe their time as students under different instructors. Some stories are interesting, some amusing and others are just appalling.

Since I have worked as an educator part of my adult life, I take my teaching methods very seriously.

Recently I have begun using videotaping more during my student's educational experience. I have found it is easier to show a student what he is doing wrong rather than simply trying to tell him what he is doing wrong. I do this through videotaping students as they practice, then sitting down with them in front of a monitor and reviewing their performance, via video, at the end of class.

Soon, I hope to invest in a wall mounted HD monitor that I can plug my videocamera into for my training hall. Then I can bypass using my laptop.

Does anyone else use this method, or know someone who does?

ginosifu
04-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Richard,
I have done this before. It's hard to do this with 100 students. But you have a good Idea.

I have told students "See I told you, your back heel was up on that bo stance".

part of the problems with commercial schools is that there are many students who don't care enough to change the things you ask. There even students who don't believe you when you say something is wrong.

When I was first learning... when a teacher said my stance was wrong or fist was not correct, I would spend every bit of every moment in class and out of class trying to fix what they had asked... nowadys students forget what I have taught them by the end of class and come back next class stating "Sifu, you never showed me that horse stance thingy before?"

ginosifu

mooyingmantis
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Agreed! Your situation, 10-20 students in any one class, does make this approach more difficult. My situation, 2-5 students at a time, is prime for this approach. Perhaps it would work in one of your advanced classes, or with those who are training to be teachers under you?

MightyB
05-16-2011, 02:00 PM
I've seen it done thousands of times for golf. Video feedback is a great idea- especially for forms competitors. There's no disputing the feedback because the student sees exactly what you're seeing. Good idea.

monkey mind
05-29-2011, 01:17 AM
My teacher uses video for select, senior students. He shoots forms and basic line drills from different angles and then provides both written and oral comments. He also encourages me to video myself practicing, and I do it regularly. I don't get the same specific feedback but it allows me to analyze my technique & compare it to what I've seen from those most experienced in my style. Practicing in front of mirrors is good too, but video is much more useful. So I'd suggest the same - encouraging students to to their own video work if possible. It's no substitute for doing it with a teacher but it brings many benefits for motivated, serious students.

SteveLau
05-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Once I have myself video-recorded while doing a form handset. I was surprised at some not good percularities found. Video record is a super training tool. With today's easily available audio-video equipment, e.g. mobile phone and digital camera, taking such video record is not much of a problem. I still have the record made decade ago transferred to DVD for reference.:)

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong