PDA

View Full Version : What's your choice of footwear?

Cyborg
10-10-2001, 07:03 PM
I'd like to know what shoes/boots you wear, why, and how they affect your fighting style. Does anyone have a specific recommendation?

I wear everything from tennis shoes to steel toed boots, I just like good soles for traction.

Any body wanna spar?

JWTAYLOR
10-10-2001, 08:08 PM
4 inch stilleto heals baby. But that's just cause I got the back to work em.

Yeah.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Budokan
10-10-2001, 09:14 PM
LOL @ JWT!

I bet you look hot in 'em, too. ;)

K. Mark Hoover

Robinf
10-10-2001, 09:19 PM
JWT,

You have to have the legs to pull that off--got an epilady handy? :D

In class, I wear hi-top wrestling sneakers--supports my little, weak ankles and they don't scuff up the floor.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Cyborg
10-10-2001, 09:21 PM
Sounds awful sexy to me, I'll have to try that! :eek:

Any body wanna spar?

Tvebak
10-10-2001, 10:27 PM
I used to wear military boots with iron toe protection, the effect of kicking some guy with these is very good.
Now i use lighter shoes, still with iron on the toes,a choice for the classical capoeirista:)
I know of a kungfuschool where they advocate using cowboy boots, say it fits their way of kicking.

SifuAbel
10-11-2001, 12:00 AM
I just were regular shoes. I don't depend on anything else but flesh and bone.

But If I really wanted to hurt someone intentionally, I just put on my kleets.Ï

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com

Repulsive Monkey
10-18-2001, 04:31 PM
Kung fu slippers (the older and more worn out the beater!). Apart from that anything that will protect me from External Pathogenic Factors.

Cyborg
10-19-2001, 04:45 AM
Well, I just bought a pair of Nike Airs and I love them. They're light for fast kicking and give great ankle support. :cool:

"Box a fighter and fight a boxer". Bruce Lee

GeneChing
12-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Must. Post. Here.

Dressed to kill: the art of self-defence in high heels (http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/shortcuts/2015/dec/14/self-defence-high-heels-avital-zeisler)
A martial-arts expert could soon be offering British women classes on using high-heeled shoes to fight off attackers – would you dare to tell her it’s a bad idea?

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/9d7efa1e811c8818192984988957929c148ae076/0_78_5760_3456/master/5760.jpg?w=1920&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&
Choose your weapon … Photograph: Alamy
Monday 14 December 2015 11.30 EST Last modified on Monday 14 December 2015 17.31 EST

Name: High heels.

Appearance: Elegant, deadly.

You mean because they make you fall over? Nope. I mean because they’re a weapon.

Ah, you mean an erotic weapon in the war of the sexes. Nope. I mean because you can stab people in the head with them.

Can I? With training, certainly. A Canadian self-defence instructor called Avital Zeisler has designed a strategy for women who are attacked while they’re wearing heels, and the Sunday Times reports she plans to bring her classes to the UK next year. “I love to wear high heels,” she says. “I wasn’t going to let self-defence compromise the quality of my life or my femininity.”

Some might say high heels already compromise her quality of life by increasing the risk of chronic foot, calf and back problems. They shouldn’t say it to her face. Zeisler is a former dancer who trained in the Israeli martial art of krav maga.

So what does she say a woman, or indeed a man, should do if attacked in their heels? Option one: take them off and run away.

Sounds good. I’ll go with that. You might not have time. In which case there’s option two: run away while wearing them.

Tricky. But doable. You need to practise running on the balls of your feet only. Zeisler can sprint on a treadmill in very high heels.

What’s option three? Fight while wearing them. Lying down, they’re actually an advantage because you can perform a “defensive push-kick” with the point.

What’s a defensive push-kick? Think of it like stamping upwards “into the targets that are available”, Heisler explains in her instructional video. “Whether it’s face, the groin, whatever I’m dealing with.”

Ow ow ow ow ow … Finally, there’s option four: taking the heel off and using it as a weapon.

By hitting people with it? Basically. Hitting or slashing. Zeisler recommends gripping it around the midsole and performing a hammerfist.

Just remind me what a hammerfist is? Empty-handed, it’s like banging on a door. With a heel, it’s more like stabbing someone in the lungs with an ice-axe. “The heel is something that can really be used as an advantage if you put the effort into seeing it that way,” Zeisler says.

Could it make me a glamorous crime-fighting lady assassin? If by that you mean murderer then yes, yes it could.

Do say: “Have you thought about using guns instead?”

Don’t say: “They might look a bit funny on my feet.”

GeneChing
12-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Must. Post. Here.

Dressed to kill: the art of self-defence in high heels (http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/shortcuts/2015/dec/14/self-defence-high-heels-avital-zeisler)
A martial-arts expert could soon be offering British women classes on using high-heeled shoes to fight off attackers – would you dare to tell her it’s a bad idea?

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/9d7efa1e811c8818192984988957929c148ae076/0_78_5760_3456/master/5760.jpg
Choose your weapon … Photograph: Alamy
Monday 14 December 2015 11.30 EST Last modified on Monday 14 December 2015 17.31 EST

Name: High heels.

Appearance: Elegant, deadly.

You mean because they make you fall over? Nope. I mean because they’re a weapon.

Ah, you mean an erotic weapon in the war of the sexes. Nope. I mean because you can stab people in the head with them.

Can I? With training, certainly. A Canadian self-defence instructor called Avital Zeisler has designed a strategy for women who are attacked while they’re wearing heels, and the Sunday Times reports she plans to bring her classes to the UK next year. “I love to wear high heels,” she says. “I wasn’t going to let self-defence compromise the quality of my life or my femininity.”

Some might say high heels already compromise her quality of life by increasing the risk of chronic foot, calf and back problems. They shouldn’t say it to her face. Zeisler is a former dancer who trained in the Israeli martial art of krav maga.

So what does she say a woman, or indeed a man, should do if attacked in their heels? Option one: take them off and run away.

Sounds good. I’ll go with that. You might not have time. In which case there’s option two: run away while wearing them.

Tricky. But doable. You need to practise running on the balls of your feet only. Zeisler can sprint on a treadmill in very high heels.

What’s option three? Fight while wearing them. Lying down, they’re actually an advantage because you can perform a “defensive push-kick” with the point.

What’s a defensive push-kick? Think of it like stamping upwards “into the targets that are available”, Heisler explains in her instructional video. “Whether it’s face, the groin, whatever I’m dealing with.”

Ow ow ow ow ow … Finally, there’s option four: taking the heel off and using it as a weapon.

By hitting people with it? Basically. Hitting or slashing. Zeisler recommends gripping it around the midsole and performing a hammerfist.

Just remind me what a hammerfist is? Empty-handed, it’s like banging on a door. With a heel, it’s more like stabbing someone in the lungs with an ice-axe. “The heel is something that can really be used as an advantage if you put the effort into seeing it that way,” Zeisler says.

Could it make me a glamorous crime-fighting lady assassin? If by that you mean murderer then yes, yes it could.

Do say: “Have you thought about using guns instead?”

Don’t say: “They might look a bit funny on my feet.”

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/multimedia/dynamic/01199/01_NH13STI_1199225k.jpg