PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly realized the other day...

KC Elbows
04-29-2011, 10:05 AM
...I've been teaching a class for a year now. Some things I'm happy about, noticed, or what have you:

-It's been at least eight months since I've had students do the old application dance, meaning, "now stand at exactly the distance you would be attacking from, minus any movement from getting there, and attack in a way that doesn't really give the person any useful thing to work with", and I'm not missing it. All the stuff I teach is from one form, so I show them the form for that move, then show it with a partner where we move around each other, he has glaves on, and I don't know when he's gonna give me the punch and must deal with distance and timing, and then have students do the same, at first focusing on the initial getting out of harm's way, then on pulling off the rest of the move.

-LKFMDC is right, as soon as you say kung fu and don't spend all day doing forms and conditioning and as soon as you more than occasionally actually work on techniques, you lose a segment who don't want their ego burst by knowledge that they are mortals and that if they can't master kinetic energy, there's no way they're gonna master The Force.

-For some reason, a lot of people spend a lot of time working inside fighting with the spear and neglect spending a lot of time stabbing at a distance. Not in my class, just something I've seen, I mean, it's a spear, it seems common sense.

-The same guy that can punch jab and uppercut without pausing, with just a little contact with the wrong idea of kung fu, will dramatically pause after a chop.

-Turning people into student instructors, nine times out of ten, is denying them the attributes of a real instructor. Want them to be a teacher, then give them a teacher's knowledge first.

-Some students and many kung fu teachers need to be familiar with a phrase, I think it's from Mengzi, something to the effect that "It's a human flaw to wish to be seen as a teacher." Train.

-Training someone to compete in shuai jiao is tough, but educational, and you will wish they had told you earlier they wanted to compete so that there was more you could do to help them.

-It doesn't matter if I do this for thirty years, it only matters how long I do it in a useful manner. Doing kung fu for thirty years without refining my ideas of it is like dry humping the pillow into retirement and calling myself Don Juan.

-I expect that eventually a student will ask me to train them for san shou, but I'm really on the fence regarding san shou, and need to educate myself a bit on it. I am under the understanding that a lot of open hand strikes/chops are not allowed, which I suspect are not prohibited in mma, and since, locally, san shou has zero presence, for students who wanted the experience, they would get a lot more bang for their buck out of mma. Most of the students I have that show an interest have bjj or judo experience, so I feel like it would be a better time investment for them in mma, but then, there are some sanshou events that are worth the travel.

-I seem to have really benefited from a plan to focus on teaching the style through constant drilling of footwork. Since, from about the second week on, the student in every class will be drilling all the major footwork in a non scripted manner, they really seem to get comfortable with other aspects faster.

-I have been fortunate in that a local teacher has allowed us access to one of his training rooms, which has mats.

-I am preparing to teach and drill students on the basic defenses and strikes with spear, sword, and knife for a portion of every general kung fu class: with each, they will stand at a distance where they cannot, at the furthest end of their reach with the weapon, touch the other person's body. From there, one person presents something to defend against by doing, in an unscripted manner, one of the basic attacks, and the other person defends. While this is stationairy, and limited by working at the extreme range, it will allow them to develop good strength and beginning applicability in their weapons. Since the overall class is structured around rounds, this should fit in nicely, and show that having a weapon form means little if one hasn't crossed weapons with others.(Based around rounds meaning students begin with three rounds shadow boxing/footwork, warming up and building intensity, then rounds of push hands alternating right foot forward vs. right foot forward or left foot forward vs. left, working on implementing techniques from the style, then rounds of push hands left lead vs. right lead or vice versa, then rounds of push hands squared up to each other, then rounds of dropsies where every three moves or so someone should be trying to do a dropped stance move, then break for water, then rounds of striking drills related to footwork, throwing drills related to footwork, rounds of basic weapon drills, some variation in what drills are being worked, in a two hour class, quite a few rounds can ultimately be covered, with experienced students expected to build intensity through the workout in a controlled manner, and beginners largely focusing for each first on the same fundamental footwork, with less emphasis on completing the throws, strikes, etc. The class is based around the idea of every class doing all the major fundamentals, with specific class times set aside for focused lessons, and video ultimately to be used to reduce explanation time in class, homework being "watch the cutting hands video and mess around with it", etc. I have a standing rule for the more experienced guys that you don't interupt contact time for questions, if it worked against you once, it'll happen again, and you'll remember later during the break, and can ask questions then, but having a teacher doesn't mean you shouldn't try to figure out the answer to things, so think about the problems that arise and why.)

Can't type any more.

sanjuro_ronin
04-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Can't type any more.

Pillow missing you?
:D

taai gihk yahn
04-29-2011, 10:29 AM
.then show it with a partner where we move around each other, he has glaves on, and I don't know when he's gonna give me the punch and must deal with distance and timing,

:eek::eek::eek:

http://10dots.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/92.jpg

I hope yo keep a lot of bandaids on hand!

otherwise, I agree w ur assessment 101%

Lucas
04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FKLVlPmz4RY/TaN_FC8KSYI/AAAAAAAABF4/H_RvMZ56xi0/s1600/krullglave.jpg

Brule
04-29-2011, 10:43 AM
/\ Nothing cooler than using a weapon like that and giving your enemy the finger at the same time....

KC Elbows
04-29-2011, 10:55 AM
LOL!!!

I also leave my shirt part way open with my medallion and hairy chest showing. It's so that the testosterone and bling draw your attention, and you don't notice that this Kris Kristofferson lookalike has a deadly glave!

We buy our glaves from martialartsmart.

David Jamieson
04-29-2011, 11:41 AM
-It doesn't matter if I do this for thirty years, it only matters how long I do it in a useful manner. Doing kung fu for thirty years without refining my ideas of it is like dry humping the pillow into retirement and calling myself Don Juan.

I lol'd.

It's funny because it's true.

You can break down your schedule even more to accommodate everyone?

- the basic class is fighter fitness this can apply to anything else that gets included.
- the other basic class is classical form study
- other segments can be style or competitive fight training

training to fight in competition is different from learning a body of knowledge or a kung fu system. kung fu systems tend to include an array of weapons that are antiquated, a smattering or globs of cultural nods, patterns and routines, social hierarchy and so on and so forth. If people want to fight out of that kind of club typically, they train differently, IE: towards the venue they intend to fight in.

I think fighter fitness classes are far more suitable than training for san shou that you are never going to actively compete in. And you can add the pyjama dance or you can switch out the punchfest for that on top.

If you can get people to put time and effort in on a high intensity fitness regimen, you can probably get them interested in competition. If they aren't breaking a sweat because they are doing 4 or 5 combos for twenty minutes into the air... then that is not preparing them to have their egos flossed a little. :)

a boxing club, you show up, you work, you take instruction.
If you want to fight, you show up more.

Dragonzbane76
04-29-2011, 12:05 PM
that was from the movie Krull I think. I remember watching it as a kid. :)

SPJ
04-29-2011, 12:08 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

http://10dots.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/92.jpg

I hope yo keep a lot of bandaids on hand!

otherwise, I agree w ur assessment 101%

love the jewelry.

:)

Frost
04-29-2011, 03:16 PM
ave you fought MMA or shan shou if not and your students want to it might be an idea to do so or bring someone in who has done so,

good luck and glad you are enjoying teaching

David Jamieson
04-29-2011, 03:18 PM
actually...this :http://www.martialartsmart.com/45-82wu.html is closer to what a glaive is.

I don't know why they called it that in the krull movie. Likely simply because of the blades. :)

usually a sword on a lance or sometimes particularly a version of broadsword

taai gihk yahn
04-29-2011, 03:33 PM
actually...this :http://www.martialartsmart.com/45-82wu.html is closer to what a glaive is

glaive, guisarme, bec-de-corbin, fauchard, halbert, spetum, bardiche, ranseur, bill...whatever it takes...

Iron_Eagle_76
05-03-2011, 05:44 AM
I seem to have really benefited from a plan to focus on teaching the style through constant drilling of footwork. Since, from about the second week on, the student in every class will be drilling all the major footwork in a non scripted manner, they really seem to get comfortable with other aspects faster.

QFT. All martial arts start with the "roots", and without that, they really have nothing.

KC Elbows
05-04-2011, 07:59 AM
ave you fought MMA or shan shou if not and your students want to it might be an idea to do so or bring someone in who has done so,

Actually, a good chunk of my students have previously fought mma under their other teachers, I just try to give them an idea of how our style does clinch and striking. I intend to bring in a local bjj black belt to train us all in basics, and there's a friend with solid judo skills who is always open to helping, so rounds of ground work will soon be standard, with the caveat that I do not teach it, but want us all exposed to it.

As for sanshou, that's tougher, as I know of no one locally with substantial experience. I simply try to do my research, limit my sources to the good ones, and teach what I know for usage.

Of course, these are only for those students who aren't inner door. The inner door students all know to use the bil jee form as adapted for the ground, and can paralyze anyone coming in for a double leg with a sharp elbow to the spine.

good luck and glad you are enjoying teaching

Thanks!

Scott R. Brown
05-04-2011, 09:25 AM
glaive, guisarme, bec-de-corbin, fauchard, halbert, spetum, bardiche, ranseur, bill...whatever it takes...

What have you got against the Flamberge!

:mad:

KC Elbows
05-04-2011, 10:05 AM
What have you got against the Flamberge!

I'm lactose intolerant.

Frost
05-06-2011, 04:43 AM
Actually, a good chunk of my students have previously fought mma under their other teachers, I just try to give them an idea of how our style does clinch and striking. I intend to bring in a local bjj black belt to train us all in basics, and there's a friend with solid judo skills who is always open to helping, so rounds of ground work will soon be standard, with the caveat that I do not teach it, but want us all exposed to it.

As for sanshou, that's tougher, as I know of no one locally with substantial experience. I simply try to do my research, limit my sources to the good ones, and teach what I know for usage.

Of course, these are only for those students who aren't inner door. The inner door students all know to use the bil jee form as adapted for the ground, and can paralyze anyone coming in for a double leg with a sharp elbow to the spine.

Thanks!

Smartar%e almost fell for that one ;)

Bringing in experts will only help your guys and i love the fact you are confident and secure enough to do that

SPJ
05-06-2011, 07:04 AM
spear stabbing

remember always practice pulling back as well as pushing forward

why

b/c if you stab into a real life body

it is very important to pull back your spear ASAP

sometimes or almost all the time, it is easy to stab into things but harder to pull it out

---

try stab into a bundle of dry hay or straws

a bag of flour

a bag of sand

etc

etc

my point is that, there are always some distance from practicing to actual apps or usages

--