PDA

View Full Version : Which sport is safter - SC or Judo?

YouKnowWho
04-29-2011, 05:34 PM
By comparing the following clips which sport do you think is safter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZouSsrTGNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSDygo-acO4

lkfmdc
04-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I am not sure what you are trying to say BUT

These two clips are very different levels. One is "regional" and I would dare say pretty beginner

The other is international and advanced

YouKnowWho
04-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Both follow their rule set. Most of the sport injuy happened because one person's body drops on top of the other person's body. The less that you have body drops on body, the safer the rule set that you will have.

lkfmdc
04-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Both follow their rule set. Most of the sport injuy happened because one person's body drops on top of the other person's body. The less that you have body drops on body, the safer the rule set that you will have.

If Shuai Jiao had more competitive levels, you'd see people falling with the throws. Sorry, but Shaui Jiao is under developed. You see a guy with skill and he kills 10,000 of the regular students.

Neither is "safe", if you want to be safe stay home and play with yourself

SPJ
04-30-2011, 09:05 AM
we may try to make all the game plays safer

but accidents or "unexpected" incidents do happen and quite often actually.

--

the chest protector was unwieldy in wu lin da hui

and no head shot

these are 2 main safey concerns in PR China, right now

--

Scott R. Brown
04-30-2011, 11:20 AM
If Shuai Jiao had more competitive levels, you'd see people falling with the throws. Sorry, but Shaui Jiao is under developed. You see a guy with skill and he kills 10,000 of the regular students.

Yeah! But then you'll go blind.....how is THAT safe?

TenTigers
04-30-2011, 05:07 PM
on a side note,
which is better-shuai jiao tuck/fall, or judo slap fall
I have studied both (Hapkido,Jiu-Jutsu, Shuai Jiao)
The judo guys ay theirs, the shuai jiao guys sat theirs.
I have fallen almost completely upside-down, (axe kick, supporting foot came right out from under me) and if I hadn't slapped, I would've surely been paralysed from the neck down.
Point for ukemi.
I was hunting, tripped over a root, downhill, and did a shuai jiao fall while holding my rifle. I was fine. (felt like a complete tool, luckily, I was alone in the woods.)
point for shuai jiao fall.

Yung Apprentice
04-30-2011, 05:25 PM

Sorry Ross, but I laughed so hard, I had to make that my sig.:D

RickMatz
04-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah! But then you'll go blind.....how is THAT safe?

Master Po was no push over.

jimbob
05-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I've read Robert Smith (very) unfavourably comparing SC to Judo, but then I've heard he also had a personal stake in this because CTS wasn't happy about him learning from CMC.
I have no idea how far in between these two point the truth lies, but I'd be interested to know how they both (the arts, not the teachers) compare to each other from someone experienced in both.

I have a brown belt in judo (although that was many many years ago now) and I have no experience at all with SC. I know I got more damaged in judo than in anything else I've ever been involved with, but a lot of that was also largely due to me not being very good.
Even breakfalling correctly (which you don't really want to do too often in competition for fear of losing points) - over the years it'll take a toll on the body. SC - seems like it would as well from what i've seen.

lkfmdc
05-01-2011, 12:56 PM
I've read Robert Smith (very) unfavourably comparing SC to Judo, but then I've heard he also had a personal stake in this because CTS wasn't happy about him learning from CMC.

Robert Smith is a dirt bag. He got upset he was kicked out of the Shuai Jiao school and wrote meaningless drivel about it every since.

Among the things that he said were

1) admitted he broke his arm falling and doing a judo style breakfall, but claimed he would have been hurt worse doing the shuai jiao style? Yeah, uh, you BROKER YOUR ARM doing the judo one....

2) Claimed that Shuai Jiao has no "o soto gari" and "diagonal cutting" is the second thing taught and is a version of O Soto!

3) Talked about how skilled he was but when asked to randori with one of Chang's real guys declined and left the building

jimbob
05-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks Dave - was hoping you'd chime in.