PDA

View Full Version : "No Can Defend!"

JamesC
05-01-2011, 03:56 AM
Lyoto Machida fought Randy Couture in UFC 129 last night. The entire card was pretty amazing except for the main event with GSP.

Anyhow, Machida knocked out Couture using a jumping front kick. The Crane technique from Karate Kid.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/192334/randy_couture_vs._lyoto_machida_5.gif

mooyingmantis
05-01-2011, 06:32 AM
LOL! We just worked on this kick last Thursday in class. Can't wait to show this clip to my students.
Thanks for posting this!

hskwarrior
05-01-2011, 07:46 AM
yeah i have my students practice this kick all the time....

nice

Drake
05-01-2011, 09:52 AM
"You're the best around!"

JamesC
05-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Here's a picture of Mark Hominick, who fought Jose Aldo. The biggest hematoma i've ever seen.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/905/712/markhominick_crop_650x440.jpg?1304236480

Dragonzbane76
05-01-2011, 02:56 PM
The last silva fight he had a similar kick on belfore. I guess it's all because Steven segal is training them...:rolleyes:

Yeah that last pic. that is pretty rough looking hemo.

TaichiMantis
05-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Lyoto Machida fought Randy Couture in UFC 129 last night. The entire card was pretty amazing except for the main event with GSP.

Anyhow, Machida knocked out Couture using a jumping front kick. The Crane technique from Karate Kid.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/192334/randy_couture_vs._lyoto_machida_5.gif

Heh, that is one we practice the lenght of the gym every week....:D

TenTigers
05-02-2011, 08:18 AM
I see so many people use the front kick/teep as a disrupting technique, or push,
or set-up, rather than throwing it to cause damage.

Frost
05-02-2011, 08:28 AM
I see so many people use the front kick/teep as a disrupting technique, or push,

so is that how you teach your fighters to throw it then.....

Frost
05-02-2011, 08:31 AM
The last silva fight he had a similar kick on belfore. I guess it's all because Steven segal is training them...:rolleyes:

Yeah that last pic. that is pretty rough looking hemo.

yep now that three whole fights have been won with that kick i predict that guys will be coming out of the woodwork saying thats how they train their students to kick and why on earth dont more fighters use it........:)

TenTigers
05-02-2011, 08:47 AM
yep now that three whole fights have been won with that kick i predict that guys will be coming out of the woodwork saying thats how they train their students to kick and why on earth dont more fighters use it........:)
not for nuthin, but it's a basic kick that everyone does. I did it in TKD, TSD, Kung-Fu,even in some WCK classes. Everyone has done this. Not everyone trains MT, or Kickboxing.
So, yeah. Everyone will be saying they train it, because most people do.

lkfmdc
05-02-2011, 08:47 AM
my personal take on such issues

all techniques should have the POTENTIAL to injure, but never assume a single technique will do damage. A chinese coach once compared an axe to a razor blade. If the axe never connects, but what if the razor blade makes 10,000 cuts?

Notice also that Machida IMMEDIATELY follows up, as did Silva, ie didn't assume the kick alone had done the job

David Jamieson
05-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Couture has been taking dives since he said he was gonna quit and dw forced him to honour his contract.

after taht it was Lesnar, he fell and every fight since, Couture has dived. I think he even dived his last round with Iceman.

He doesn't care and Dana is a goof. Their bad relationship = Couture diving for his contractual obligation fights.

lkfmdc
05-02-2011, 08:48 AM

Someone put up a video of it saying "this is in our XYZ set and proves our style is best" pretty f-in pathetic

sanjuro_ronin
05-02-2011, 08:59 AM
It caught Randy by surprise, no more, no less.
Much like Silvas also.
A powerful front kick is a basic kick, the fact that it isn't used as much as it can be just increase the likely hood of it catching someone by surprise.

sanjuro_ronin
05-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Of course of Machida has missed the kick and Randy would have beatn hsi ass, then everyone would be saying, "WTF was he thinking", LOL !

Lucas
05-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Of course of Machida has missed the kick and Randy would have beatn hsi ass, then everyone would be saying, "WTF was he thinking", LOL !

exactly!!! lol

Frost
05-02-2011, 09:39 AM
not for nuthin, but it's a basic kick that everyone does. I did it in TKD, TSD, Kung-Fu,even in some WCK classes. Everyone has done this. Not everyone trains MT, or Kickboxing.

just like every style has a jab right

your right not everyone trains thai boxing, so it makes you wonder why if not everyone trains thai you see so few un thai like front kicks in full contact fights, especially when takedowns are used

so again when your guys fight MMA and shan shou is this what you train them to throw...... serious question i know why a lot of guys dont train their fighters to throw them so why do you train yours to?

Frost
05-02-2011, 09:40 AM

this for the win lol

Frost
05-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Couture has been taking dives since he said he was gonna quit and dw forced him to honour his contract.

after taht it was Lesnar, he fell and every fight since, Couture has dived. I think he even dived his last round with Iceman.

He doesn't care and Dana is a goof. Their bad relationship = Couture diving for his contractual obligation fights.

not taken your meds today?

lkfmdc
05-02-2011, 09:55 AM
There was a time when everyone thought the stuff on the Gracie basic tapes would be the be all and end all to MMA fights, that Royce was unbeatable, etc

The world has changed, and it has gone through stages. There was a time when no one would imagine kickboxing techniques being so important, I mean "come on, they get taken down" - well, everyone except Rickson who said otherwise

what's next? more side kicks? Jumping kicks? spinning floor sweeps? Who knows

TenTigers
05-02-2011, 09:58 AM
just like every style has a jab right

your right not everyone trains thai boxing, so it makes you wonder why if not everyone trains thai you see so few un thai like front kicks in full contact fights, especially when takedowns are used

so again when your guys fight MMA and shan shou is this what you train them to throw...... serious question i know why a lot of guys dont train their fighters to throw them so why do you train yours to?
um, cause I'm ig'nant.
That is why I asked. Why do people not train this as much and train the teep more?
What is the advantage of the teep over the front kick, and what is the disadvantage of throwing the front kick?
I certainly don't want to train my guys to lose.
So,
enlighten me.
(btw-I mean this sincerely, I'm not being sarcastic)

TenTigers
05-02-2011, 10:03 AM
what's next? more side kicks? Jumping kicks? spinning floor sweeps? Who knows
The only guy I've seen throw them was Cung Le. The sidekick is a damaging kick, but you pretty much need to be standing sidebody to throw it, which puts you in danger of takedowns.(leg is easy to shoot on, can't easily sprawl, recovery is harder, etc) Like anything, it can be done, but requires more skill development. Most don't feel the need for it.

Brule
05-02-2011, 10:17 AM

I'm pretty sure the guy has won his last three fights, albeit against Toney and Coleman but it doesn't seem natural :p for a guy who's supposed to be diving.

taai gihk yahn
05-02-2011, 10:32 AM
my personal take on such issues

all techniques should have the POTENTIAL to injure, but never assume a single technique will do damage. A chinese coach once compared an axe to a razor blade. If the axe never connects, but what if the razor blade makes 10,000 cuts?

Notice also that Machida IMMEDIATELY follows up, as did Silva, ie didn't assume the kick alone had done the job

More to the point, was that he didn't throw the kick in an isolated context - over the course of the round he had been feinting w the left leg and basically "hooked" Couture with it - pretty much TKD kick-fake 101...

JamesC
05-02-2011, 10:36 AM
More to the point, was that he didn't throw the kick in an isolated context - over the course of the round he had been feinting w the left leg and basically "hooked" Couture with it - pretty much TKD kick-fake 101...

Or Kyokushin.

taai gihk yahn
05-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Or Kyokushin.

Sure (and we know where Oyama came from, right?)

Anyway, just to make a point, for all those who might be gloating about "see, a flying front kick does work" - its not about it working in and of itself: you have to preface it by saying "with a guy who knows how to establish and maintain good structure, knows how to defend against the high percentage standup stuff, knows how to defend against shots/ take downs, and is conditioned, all that in place, all things being relatively equal, he can pull off something a bit more exotic"

So it is interesting - now that the context of a solid, reliable and functional platform is pretty much the norm, perhaps on top of that platform we will start to see less conventional stuff "work"...

JamesC
05-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Anyway, just to make a point, for all those who might be gloating about "see, a flying front kick does work" - its not about it working in and of itself: you have to preface it by saying "with a guy who knows how to establish and maintain good structure, knows how to defend against the high percentage standup stuff, knows how to defend against shots/ take downs, and is conditioned, all that in place, all things being relatively equal, he can pull off something a bit more exotic"

So it is interesting - now that the context of a solid, reliable and functional platform is pretty much the norm, perhaps on top of that platform we will start to see less conventional stuff "work"...

I hope you're right. It really is a nice change to see a classic karate stance and footwork used in the ring.

As a side note, I can only imagine that Steven Seagal will be riding this knockout kick just like he did Silva's.:rolleyes:

Lucas
05-02-2011, 11:55 AM
It really is a nice change to see a classic karate stance and footwork
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D ccccccombooobreaker!!!
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_LZZ116SJC7Q/TbnROFdK-WI/AAAAAAAAB5M/lXZfb0cTFnM/s800/Mullet%20Galore.jpg

JamesC
05-02-2011, 12:00 PM
lmao.

I hope IE knows that picture is going to be used constantly now, lol

wenshu
05-02-2011, 12:03 PM
What is it called erqijiao?

Wushu, first day.

wenshu
05-02-2011, 12:05 PM

I don't know about that. Machida has some insane evasion skills. Anyone else? Almost certainly.

TenTigers
05-02-2011, 12:06 PM
I like the Mother Goose in the corner.
Much better than CYmac's paint cans and socks...

wenshu
05-02-2011, 12:12 PM
The only guy I've seen throw them was Cung Le. The sidekick is a damaging kick, but you pretty much need to be standing sidebody to throw it, which puts you in danger of takedowns.(leg is easy to shoot on, can't easily sprawl, recovery is harder, etc) Like anything, it can be done, but requires more skill development. Most don't feel the need for it.

Not necessarily (standing sidebody, ease of shooting is another matter). You can start from a front push kick setup and turn the foot and hips over to throw the side kick pretty easily. (Assuming decent hip flexibility)

Lucas
05-02-2011, 12:19 PM
lmao.

he better lol.

Lucas
05-02-2011, 12:22 PM
I like the Mother Goose in the corner.
Much better than CYmac's paint cans and socks...

dont forget the blingin drapes!

TenTigers
05-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Not necessarily (standing sidebody, ease of shooting is another matter). You can start from a front push kick setup and turn the foot and hips over to throw the side kick pretty easily. (Assuming decent hip flexibility)
yep-many WCK peeps throw the sidekick from a front chamber and rotate the hip as it goes in.

sanjuro_ronin
05-02-2011, 01:09 PM

Typical ITF TKD chambers all REAR legs kicks like front kicks, including the rear leg side kick.
It's sneaky but has nothing like the power of the typical side kick.
I've seen guys bey "bulldozed" when they try it in full contact, unless it is timed perfectly and aimed at the head.

Dragonzbane76
05-02-2011, 03:07 PM

I actually like this kick a lot. I use it here and there while sparring. I also like the jumping front thrust kick as well. Thing about that kick is it's a very "committed" kick. your whole body is in motion. It has dangerous consequences if missed or over extended.

lmao.

haha so true...:p

Hardwork108
05-02-2011, 11:34 PM
In Wing Chun the front kick is used to cause damage. ;)

Hardwork108
05-02-2011, 11:36 PM

I believe that this kick or a variation of it exists in Shotokan Karate....

Hardwork108
05-02-2011, 11:39 PM

In most MMA fights that I have seen, the fighters always follow up, no matter what technique they have used to damage their opponent. It is usually the referee that has to jump in to protect the injured fighter.

I thought you knew about these things, Dave....:D

Hardwork108
05-02-2011, 11:41 PM

Yeah, and we all know that Machida has never KO-ed anyone in MMA events...:rolleyes:

goju
05-02-2011, 11:42 PM

theres quite afew videos of Front kick kos floating around youtube so yeah id say quite a few people are doing it that way

Hardwork108
05-02-2011, 11:48 PM
yep-many WCK peeps throw the sidekick from a front chamber and rotate the hip as it goes in.

The same is done for a Wing Chun round kick (that is, lineages who practice the round house).

goju
05-02-2011, 11:51 PM
I believe that this kick or a variation of it exists in Shotokan Karate....

Its right in one of the katas i think

Hardwork108
05-03-2011, 12:19 AM

I just found it in the Kanku Dai Kata. It probably exists in other katas, as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkv8Ks_fEqk&feature=related

Kevin73
05-03-2011, 04:58 AM
Almost any technique has the chance to work when it is unexpected and unprepared for.

Look how many high kicks have resulted in a KO because the person was expected a low kick and moved their hands down for it. Machida has used tons of "tricky" kicks and set ups in his career and all are supported by proper set up and footwork. He just doesn't go out there and throw the technique right off the bat, he sets it up.

Same idea behind the superman punch. You don't see it in boxing because the boxer isn't fearing a leg kick that has already caused damage. You set up the punch by getting them to drop their hands first. Everything has a time and place, too bad most just think that techniques are magical and work in isolation of everything else.

Once a technique is used with success in MMA then you start seeing everyone adding it to their game. I remember watching early MMA events and you had these guys throwing weak ass hook type punches and I kept thinking, "why aren't they just using a hammerfist?". Then Sakuraba comes along and starts using hammers etc. and then suddenly all of them started using hammers in those situations on the G&P.

As to the front kick, I remember watching and old K-1 fight (I think it was Sonny Schmildt or something like that) and he kicked the guy 3-4 times with a front snap kick to the chin. Knocked out a couple of teeth before it KO'd the guy.

Iron_Eagle_76
05-03-2011, 05:31 AM
lmao.

The things I go through for the sake of humor!!:D

As for Machida's kick, good stuff. But I find it funny that everytime a technique considered unorthodox to MMA gets used and works this and that start taking credit. Give credit to the guy that pulled it off, that is the only one who deserves credit!

JamesC
05-03-2011, 05:40 AM
The things I go through for the sake of humor!!:D

As for Machida's kick, good stuff. But I find it funny that everytime a technique considered unorthodox to MMA gets used and works this and that start taking credit. Give credit to the guy that pulled it off, that is the only one who deserves credit!

You mean Steven Seagal isn't the reason the Brazilians are doing so well? :eek: Inconcievable!

Iron_Eagle_76
05-03-2011, 05:52 AM
You mean Steven Seagal isn't the reason the Brazilians are doing so well? :eek: Inconcievable!

I have it on good authority that the last thing Osama Bin Laden saw before taking one to the side of his can was this:

http://www.freewebs.com/frasay/1.jpg

taai gihk yahn
05-03-2011, 06:03 AM
Almost any technique has the chance to work when it is unexpected and unprepared for.

Look how many high kicks have resulted in a KO because the person was expected a low kick and moved their hands down for it. Machida has used tons of "tricky" kicks and set ups in his career and all are supported by proper set up and footwork. He just doesn't go out there and throw the technique right off the bat, he sets it up.

Same idea behind the superman punch. You don't see it in boxing because the boxer isn't fearing a leg kick that has already caused damage. You set up the punch by getting them to drop their hands first. Everything has a time and place, too bad most just think that techniques are magical and work in isolation of everything else.
QFT + 1......

As silly as it may seem, this held true even in the old point style game of tag: use hands to set up kicks and vice versa--get the guy to drop or raise his hands in anticipation of something, esp if he's a block-and-counter type of fighter, and then pop him w something else; this worked esp well when u were able to do front-leg sweeps, which direct attention down low to set up something up top; seeing someone use this in an MMA environment is great

metsubushi
05-03-2011, 08:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rAWIqRbda4

seagal is coaching Machida's front kicks at about a minute in. I don't know why people are mocking the guy. He's obviously given Machida and Silva some ideas to play with. By their own admission.

TenTigers
05-03-2011, 08:37 AM
just so long as he doesn't start coaching Joe Bonamasa on how to play the blues....

Hardwork108
05-03-2011, 09:32 AM

seagal is coaching Machida's front kicks at about a minute in. I don't know why people are mocking the guy. He's obviously given Machida and Silva some ideas to play with. By their own admission.

Good point. The same people who break everyone's balls about the "benefits" of cross training, turn around and mock it when a MMA-ists is training with a TMA instructor.

This is very ironic in Machida's case, because the man himself comes from a traditional Shotokan Karate background.

GeneChing
05-03-2011, 09:50 AM
UFC 129 Results: Is Steven Seagal the Next Great Mixed Martial Arts Trainer? (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/687730-ufc-129-results-georges-st-pierre-manny-pacquiao-and-more-fighter-news/entry/77139-ufc-129-results-is-steven-seagal-the-next-great-mixed-martial-arts-trainer)
By Adam Wells
(Featured Columnist) on May 2, 2011

How Many Fighters Are Going To Enlist The Help Of Steven Seagal Following UFC 129?

Steven Seagal is probably more famous now for what he has done with mixed martial arts fighters than he ever was for being a movie and television star.

The whole Seagal fad started at UFC 126 when Anderson Silva knocked out Vitor Belfort with a front kick to the face. When asked where he learned the kick from, he told the world that Seagal was the man behind the kick heard round the world.

This past Saturday night at UFC 129, Lyoto Machida took the Silva kick and added some flare to it by turning it into the Crane Kick that Ralph Macchio used in The Karate Kid when he knocked out Randy Couture early in the second round of their fight. Once again, Seagal's name was brought up when Machida was asked where he learned the kick.

In every sport you will find copycats. Teams or individual athletes will get wind of some new formation or style or technique that has been working for someone for a long time. As soon as everyone else finds out about it, they have to get in on it.

Seagal has now taught two of the best fighters in the world a move that has led to two very stylish knockouts and they have happened two months apart.

There are going to be phone calls, e-mails, texts, tweets, skypes, instant message, chats, basically any form of communication that a fighter can use to get in touch with Seagal will be used in the coming weeks. Everyone is going to want a lesson with him hoping to learn something that can get them a knockout victory.

Whether you like it or not, Steven Seagal is going to be sitting cage side for a lot of these fighters in the future thanks to Silva and Machida putting down two men with the same kick. The good news is we won't have to sit through another Under Siege movie as a result.

I was going to post this on our Seagal is at it again thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37259) but I must give credit where credit is due...:rolleyes:

wenshu
05-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Good point. The same people who break everyone's balls about the "benefits" of cross training, turn around and mock it when a MMA-ists is training with a TMA instructor.

This is very ironic in Machida's case, because the man himself comes from a traditional Shotokan Karate background.

Aikido is traditional?

wenshu
05-03-2011, 11:05 AM
I have it on good authority that the last thing Osama Bin Laden saw before taking one to the side of his can was this:

I thought it was a Moe Greene Special?

Iron_Eagle_76
05-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Considering this is a basic kick learned in both Karate and Taekwondo, two styles to which Machida and Silva have studied extensively, I find it hard to believe they were never introduced to this technique until the great Steven Seagal came around.:rolleyes:

That being said, if the context and application of the kick was somehow different than what they were previously taught and Seagal taught them a better delivery system, good on him and both Machida and Silva. But is it that or simply a PR stunt for all involved? Who knows, and in all honesty, who cares.

Hardwork108
05-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Aikido is traditional?

I believe so. Also, Seagal has experience in other arts, including Wing Chun. From what I saw on the video, he was teaching a mixture of traditional approaches.

Hardwork108
05-03-2011, 11:12 AM

I will also add that the people here end up mocking Machida and Silva much more than they do Seagal, because obviously they were the ones who chose to interact with Seagal, investing their time, if not money, to see his approach.

Iron_Eagle_76
05-03-2011, 11:21 AM

I have seen it done in Seisan, one version doing a front snap and another doing a jumping front snap, depending on the school. I'm sure there are other karate katas with this technique, but that one comes to mind.

metsubushi
05-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Sure the kick exists in their styles. But having a fleeting experience with a basic kick in a kata or three doesn't mean anything. Until it's willfully turned into a weapon, that kick is just sitting in the back of your mind somewhere as extraneous information.

Some of you guys know thousands of techniques. Do you truly believe that every move you've ever learned, or thrown in passing, can be delivered with K.O. effectiveness against a high-level opponent? I think not.

David Jamieson
05-03-2011, 12:17 PM
I have seen it done in Seisan, one version doing a front snap and another doing a jumping front snap, depending on the school. I'm sure there are other karate katas with this technique, but that one comes to mind.

was this before or after Hamas brainwashed you into a tkd fighting automaton?

Lucas
05-03-2011, 12:20 PM
I have it on good information it was during.

Lucas
05-03-2011, 12:27 PM
i've never studied tkd formally but i have a few friends that have, for each of them its been a requirement to train that kick to being able to break at the very least one board with it, depending on rank....i never did board breaking with kicks before but ive used that kick so many freaking times on pads i feel confident i would have enough power to KO someone with it.

i mean seriously that sh!t is textbook...

Iron_Eagle_76
05-03-2011, 12:29 PM
was this before or after Hamas brainwashed you into a tkd fighting automaton?

This was before, after I switched sides and learned Krav Maga it all made sense!:p

Iron_Eagle_76
05-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Sure the kick exists in their styles. But having a fleeting experience with a basic kick in a kata or three doesn't mean anything. Until it's willfully turned into a weapon, that kick is just sitting in the back of your mind somewhere as extraneous information.

Some of you guys know thousands of techniques. Do you truly believe that every move you've ever learned, or thrown in passing, can be delivered with K.O. effectiveness against a high-level opponent? I think not.

Not every technique, but what style have you studied that didn't contain a front kick or jumping front kick??:confused: That is a pretty much a standard technique in most karate, kung fu, and taekwondo styles I have been exposed to.

metsubushi
05-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Not every technique, but what style have you studied that didn't contain a front kick or jumping front kick??:confused: That is a pretty much a standard technique in most karate, kung fu, and taekwondo styles I have been exposed to.

It is, but how often do you see knockouts with it? Not very. A left hook is basic too, but not every one can put you down with one.

bawang
05-03-2011, 02:22 PM
kung fu techniques work if you dont train kung fu

Hardwork108
05-03-2011, 04:14 PM
i mean seriously that sh!t is textbook...
That just proves that there is a lot of wisdom in many TMA "text book" techniques.....;)

Hardwork108
05-03-2011, 04:15 PM
kung fu techniques work if you dont train kung fu

If that were true, then over 95% of posters in this forum would be deadly with their kung fu....

Drake
05-03-2011, 04:15 PM
That just proves that there is a lot of wisdom in many TMA "text book" techniques.....;)

I think the better lesson is that basic techniques work.

Hardwork108
05-03-2011, 04:19 PM
I think the better lesson is that basic techniques work.

Unfortunately, many MA-ists posting here do not give credence to most TMA techniques or training methodologies, basic or otherwise. I guess that is understandable because most of them have not REALLY trained them. This is specially true in regards authentic kung fu training.

So, video clips such as the one that started this thread are good in that they put things into perspective, for the clueless "kung fu-ists" every where. :)

Drake
05-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Kung Fu is a hobby and a pleasant alternative to the usual routine of pushups, situps, crossfitty stuff, and running.

If I really want to beat you... I'll just shoot you.

And if I don't have a weapon handy, then I will simply take you out - Grimlock style.

Lucas
05-03-2011, 04:28 PM
if i want to take someone down i just pay drake to shoot them for me. :D

Hardwork108
05-03-2011, 04:39 PM
if i want to take someone down i just pay drake to shoot them for me. :D

You would pay him???? No way!!! All you have to do is tell him that they are Fundamentalist Islamic "terrorists", here to threaten the American way of life, and then direct him to lap dancing club where they can be found (it seems that it is a common belief in the US Intelligence community that a favorite pass time for fanatical Islamic terrorists is to spend a lot of time in strip joints while drinking alcohol...LOL!)!

Anyway, that is how you will get a freebee from Drake. ;)

David Jamieson
05-03-2011, 05:44 PM
This was before, after I switched sides and learned Krav Maga it all made sense!:p

a convert eh? hmmn.

taai gihk yahn
05-03-2011, 05:48 PM

it's a key move in Shoryn Ryu kata Chinto (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQnFP_qw4Ro)

another version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YmiSYzMSnM&feature=related

TenTigers
05-03-2011, 06:00 PM
it's a key move in Shoryn Ryu kata Chinto (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQnFP_qw4Ro)

another version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YmiSYzMSnM&feature=related

This kick is also practiced by the Rockettes, the cast of Riverdance, and A Chorus Line.
MMA Faegellas!

SPJ
05-03-2011, 08:33 PM
attack where the opponent is not guarding

strike when the opponent is not prepared.

gong qi bu fang, gong qi bu bei. 攻其不防 攻其不备

be it mandarin duck feet or a punch.

:)

Frost
05-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Not to be an a$$ but what segal is coaching is not the same kick as seen in the fight, it’s a) not a jumping kick and b) not at the same target….. its like showing someone a low round house to the thigh and taking credit when they knock someone out with a flying round house to the head
Also I bet Machadia’s dad is just loving all the Segal appreciation, he probably spent years teaching his son that exact move and how chubby is getting all the credit

It’s a fluke/ low percentage move done by a great fighter, the fact its found in so many styles and seen in so little actual copetition should be a pointer to this. if he had done it like segal showed in the clip, to the body with the hands down it would not have had the same outcome

That’s the problem with the kick: to be effective against a trained fighter its got to be to the head which is a pretty low percentage shot, a snap kick to the body wont have enough force behind it to stop their forward momentum so you will be on your backside quickly……

Having said that you didn’t used to see the teep kick in MMA for years because of the fear of the takedown now you see it a lot so the kick might become popular, but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for it to happen

Iron_Eagle_76
05-04-2011, 05:14 AM
Also I bet Machadia’s dad is just loving all the Segal appreciation, he probably spent years teaching his son that exact move and how chubby is getting all the credit

LOL, pretty much sums it up. It's funny how the Seagal nut riders on this thread seem to have forgotten who Machida's father is.:rolleyes:

Frost
05-04-2011, 05:18 AM
i like segals early films but i cant take him seriously as a martial artists after what judo gene did to him :)

Iron_Eagle_76
05-04-2011, 05:23 AM
I don't know, getting choked out by one of the great Judo legends and sh***ting your pants seems pretty honorable!!:D

Frost
05-04-2011, 05:35 AM
but asking for it twice because you said you werent ready the first time...that does make me question his judgement skills :)

metsubushi
05-04-2011, 08:04 AM
LOL, pretty much sums it up. It's funny how the Seagal nut riders on this thread seem to have forgotten who Machida's father is.:rolleyes:

I'm not a ****ing nut rider. Is your mind really that simple?I have no pro Steven Seagal agenda here. But in the post-fight interview Machida himself thanks both Seagal AND his father right after the fight. It's idiotic to act as if he's being disingenuous just because of your bias against the guy.

Frost- of course it wasn't exactly the same. Seagal was showing him to put more hip into the kick; to make it more powerful. Which is exactly how he knocked Couture out.

lkfmdc
05-04-2011, 08:21 AM
RE the LeBell vs Seagal incident, I heard it directly from LeBell, they had an argument over how Seagal was treating the stunt men and LeBell ended up choking him out

Seagal is an ass, but losing a fight with LeBell isn't a big deal, LeBell is a huge skilled and MEAN man

Seagal is an ass and a dirt bag, but he's also a skilled martial artist with a lot of training

You CAN separate those two things you know

sanjuro_ronin
05-04-2011, 08:33 AM
RE the LeBell vs Seagal incident, I heard it directly from LeBell, they had an argument over how Seagal was treating the stunt men and LeBell ended up choking him out

Seagal is an ass, but losing a fight with LeBell isn't a big deal, LeBell is a huge skilled and MEAN man

Seagal is an ass and a dirt bag, but he's also a skilled martial artist with a lot of training

You CAN separate those two things you know

Although that do tend to go together, LOL !

JamesC
05-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Frost- of course it wasn't exactly the same. Seagal was showing him to put more hip into the kick; to make it more powerful. Which is exactly how he knocked Couture out.

I don't think the video covered their entire training. I find it funny that he had to tell a professional fighter to put more hip into a kick.

sanjuro_ronin
05-04-2011, 08:41 AM
What this thread needs:
Sofia Vergara
http://hiddenleaves.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/sofia-vergara-9.jpg

lkfmdc
05-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Although that do tend to go together, LOL !

LOL

BUT you know the rule!

pic?

KC Elbows
05-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Sanjuro-Ronin has taken the topic, choked it out, and made it poop its pants.

lkfmdc
What this thread needs:
Sofia Vergara
http://hiddenleaves.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/sofia-vergara-9.jpg

ok, pic

now MOAR PIC

SPJ
so the movie fu

the karate kid has jump frontal kick or crane standing on one leg and switching the other leg from standing to kick and vice versa.

the karate girl has jump round house kick or swing kick

--

suprise is the element

--

sanjuro_ronin
05-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Kiai !
http://www.perfectpeople.net/photo-picture-image-media/Sofia-Vergara-800x1111-134kb-media-353-media-80739-1040231702.jpg

Iron_Eagle_76
05-04-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm not a ****ing nut rider. Is your mind really that simple?I have no pro Steven Seagal agenda here. But in the post-fight interview Machida himself thanks both Seagal AND his father right after the fight. It's idiotic to act as if he's being disingenuous just because of your bias against the guy.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0902/steven-seagal-steven-seagal-pimp-hand-look-of-deah-aikido-ac-demotivational-poster-1235826055.gif

wenshu
05-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Silva and Machida are punking the sh*t out of Dana White and his legion of mouthbreathing WWE rejects.

Frost
05-04-2011, 10:24 AM

not exactly the same, thats an understatement show me where he taught him to jump change legs in the air and travel forward with his weight in the kick....oh right you cant but thats what he did

SPJ
05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
SJ post fu of pretty gal

is impeccable or immaculate

or immensely correct.

--

Lucas
05-04-2011, 12:15 PM
sj post fu of pretty gal

is impeccable or immaculate

or immensely correct.

--

win!!!!!!!!

goju
05-04-2011, 01:47 PM
i need to find that seagal vs lebell incident thread again on sherdog

someone who worked in the movie biz made alot of good points for why it sounds like the whole thing never happened

lkfmdc
05-04-2011, 02:09 PM
i need to find that seagal vs lebell incident thread again on sherdog

someone who worked in the movie biz made alot of good points for why it sounds like the whole thing never happened

it happened, stop being a dweeb

Frost
05-04-2011, 02:35 PM
lol i forgot you are young some of us remember reading about it in the mags at the time it happened

his lawyers took an injuction out against lebelle because they didnt want it to get out

of course they didnt take one out against his family or the others there

Drake
05-04-2011, 02:37 PM
EVERYBODY gets their ass kicked at least once. Unless, of course, you spend all your time in a filthy apartment doing forms, poorly, with your ogre friend.

KC Elbows
05-04-2011, 02:38 PM
EVERYBODY gets their ass kicked at least once. Unless, of course, you spend all your time in a filthy apartment doing forms, poorly, with your ogre friend.

Stop watching me!:D

goju
05-04-2011, 02:53 PM
yeah no the fact that its claimed he choked him out cold for what was it 15 to 20 minutes already reeks of bs lol

Frost
05-04-2011, 02:56 PM
yeah no the fact that its claimed he choked him out cold for what was it 15 to 20 minutes already reeks of bs lol

never heard that, what i heard at the time and read was he choked him out twice, the second time because segal said it was a fluke

goju
05-04-2011, 02:57 PM
lol i forgot you are young some of us remember reading about it in the mags at the time it happened

his lawyers took an injuction out against lebelle because they didnt want it to get out

of course they didnt take one out against his family or the others there

yeah but how the hell do you attack a lead actor and not get thrown off the set sued and black listed from movies?

celebs have brought in lawyers before to get some one to pipe down regarless of whether what they are saying is true or not

Drake
Stop watching me!:D

Then lock your friggin' doors if you are sick of me sneaking in!

goju
never heard that, what i heard at the time and read was he choked him out twice, the second time because segal said it was a fluke

yeah thats the other version of it

i believe there are about three or four

one of the other ones he supposedly tapped after he came to

Drake
Well... I mean.... LOCK THEM BETTER. A single deadbolt is weak man. Just...weak.

Lucas
05-04-2011, 03:00 PM
pffft i choke the seagull out every night for 10-20 minutes...no big deal.

Frost
05-04-2011, 03:01 PM
yeah but how the hell do you attack a lead actor and not get thrown off the set sued and black listed from movies?

celebs have brought in lawyers before to get some one to pipe down regarless of whether what they are saying is true or not

story as i rememebr it went like this segal was beating up the stunt guys and being rough, as head of the stunt guide lebelle went to him to ask him to stop, they got into it and segal said he couldnt be choked out, leballe begged to differ, and proved it not once but twice, being head of the stunt mans trade union and a card carrying memebr of the acting profession how were they going to black ball him? segal at the time was hardly top ten actor material and were they really going to go public with the info and sue him, imagine what that would have done for the tough guys acting career

Drake
05-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Once I lost a match because the guy was just so big. I hit him and choked him and was able to fight...but nothing hurt that friggin' mongoloid. I finally gave up and let him pin me. I tapped, and then went and had steak downtown.

Pride is a crutch. :D

goju
05-04-2011, 03:05 PM
imagine what that would have done for the tough guys acting career

Exactly thats why actors often get their lawyers to jump on claims whether they are truthful or not as they can damage an image either way.

I personally believe Gene could have easily kicked seagals ass up and down the block if he wanted but i don't think he did.Word would have spread he attacked an actor and no ones gonna want a nut like that on their set.

And of course yet another story involves seagal ****ting his pants when he was choked lol

Frost
05-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Exactly thats why actors often get their lawyers to jump on claims whether they are truthful or not as they can damage an image either way.

I personally believe Gene could have easily kicked seagals ass up and down the block if he wanted but i don't think he did.Word would have spread he attacked an actor and no ones gonna want a nut like that on their set.

And of course yet another story involves seagal ****ting his pants when he was choked lol

well its a free country so you are welcome to your belief

But he didnt attack him segal said he couldnt be choked out gene offered to show him he could segal let him..twice it was hardly an attack or a fight :)

Kevin73
05-05-2011, 07:08 AM
well its a free country so you are welcome to your belief

But he didnt attack him segal said he couldnt be choked out gene offered to show him he could segal let him..twice it was hardly an attack or a fight :)

I can't remember where I read the interview, but it was from someone on the set of the movie. That pretty much was what he said. That Segal told Lebelle he could get out of any choke and then allowed LeBelle to put the choke on him and choked him out.

There was no fight or anything else like that.

sanjuro_ronin
05-05-2011, 08:09 AM
I can't remember where I read the interview, but it was from someone on the set of the movie. That pretty much was what he said. That Segal told Lebelle he could get out of any choke and then allowed LeBelle to put the choke on him and choked him out.

There was no fight or anything else like that.

This is actually all that happened and I heard the same thing, from LeBell, so I tend to believe it.
Especially since he choked me out afterwards.

lkfmdc
05-05-2011, 08:14 AM
This is actually all that happened and I heard the same thing, from LeBell, so I tend to believe it.
Especially since he choked me out afterwards.

NOT what I heard from LeBell? Strange?

sanjuro_ronin
05-05-2011, 08:18 AM
NOT what I heard from LeBell? Strange?

I think he was being "nice" about the whole thing since I was with a bunch of other Judokas.
He also mentioned how he picked up Bruce Lee and ran around while holding him in the air, LOL !

lkfmdc
05-05-2011, 08:19 AM
I think he was being "nice" about the whole thing since I was with a bunch of other Judokas.
He also mentioned how he picked up Bruce Lee and ran around while holding him in the air, LOL !

I heard it over lunch with just me, Mr LeBell and a close friend of both of ours

sanjuro_ronin
05-05-2011, 08:21 AM
I heard it over lunch with just me, Mr LeBell and a close friend of both of ours

Well, you know Gene also likes to make stories colourful too, so...

lkfmdc
05-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Well, you know Gene also likes to make stories colourful too, so...

of course! but he was very low key on this one (including asking us not to go on and on about it with others)

sanjuro_ronin
05-05-2011, 08:48 AM
of course! but he was very low key on this one (including asking us not to go on and on about it with others)

That worked out well for him, LOL !

lkfmdc
05-05-2011, 08:50 AM
That worked out well for him, LOL !

for YEARS I never talked abotu it, and I'm still not telling what he said, notice

sanjuro_ronin
05-05-2011, 08:53 AM
for YEARS I never talked abotu it, and I'm still not telling what he said, notice

It's funny because the reaction he got from that group of Judokas was just laughter, that laughter of "been there, done that" ( about being choked out and losing control of one's bodily functions).
He didn't mention Steven by name of course, but he did say enough for everyone to know who that was, LOL !
He said it in such a good natured way that it didn't give any indication of "animosity: at all, at least not from HIS part.

lkfmdc
05-05-2011, 09:02 AM
No animosity at all, other than he wasn't too happy how hard he treats the stunt men.... apparently the SAME PROBLEM he had with Bruce

Scott R. Brown
05-05-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't know.....

...I think you guys are blowing some hot air there!

I recall a conversation I had with Bruce one day while I was giving him pointers on how to sharpen up his kicks and how to create a more dynamic/charismatic, and thereby marketable, stage persona, anyway, he told a completely different version of events than the one you two are remembering!

David Jamieson
05-05-2011, 10:37 AM
egoists have little respect for other people.
many actors are egoists.
particularly those that are more the action figure variety seeing as...well, they can't really act now can they? lol

Scott R. Brown
05-05-2011, 10:40 AM
egoists have little respect for other people.
many actors are egoists.
particularly those that are more the action figure variety seeing as...well, they can't really act now can they? lol

I recall stories of David Carradine behaving a bit too aggressive on the set of Lone Wolf McQuade.

BTW: Thanks for the great info on wood on the other thread there!:)

Frost
05-05-2011, 12:58 PM
to quote chuck norris carradine is a good an martial artist as i am an actor...:)

David Jamieson
05-05-2011, 12:59 PM
I recall stories of David Carradine behaving a bit too aggressive on the set of Lone Wolf McQuade.

BTW: Thanks for the great info on wood on the other thread there!:)

Carradine was an asshat. Not to speak ill of the dead, but here i am speaking ill of the dead. Yep, that's the movie where he and Norris "had words"

That second part is a little gay... lol :D

sanjuro_ronin
05-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Carradine was an ass, I saw that on the set of "Kung fu: the legend gets anally raped"

Scott R. Brown
05-05-2011, 05:00 PM
That second part is a little gay... lol :D

NO! It would have been gehy if I had appreciated your information on HARD wood!

And Hard wood is sanjuro _ronin's department anyway!