PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion of Villari's

Gatekeeper
11-01-2001, 12:00 AM
Please give me your opinions of Fred Villari's flavor of kempo karate. BE BRUTALLY HONEST! I have trained in this style for 10+ years. The time has come for me to decide if I want to stick with it or move on to something else. Lemme have it!

The Gatekeeper

Cyborg
11-01-2001, 07:39 PM
However, the real question is does it train you to deal with realistic scenarios? I know you can't train for everything, there's just not time. Do you train for grapplers, knife attacks, guns, sticks, etc?

Are you just bored are have you found it to be inadequate? And what do you want to switch to?

"Box a fighter and fight a boxer". Bruce Lee

Gatekeeper
11-01-2001, 08:51 PM
Inadequate I guess. It's well rounded on the grapple/knife/stick defenses, but it lacks in ground fighting. Don't get me wrong. I DO appreciate the things I've learned there, but I need a school that doesn't seem to primarily focus on the cardio-kickboxing market.

The Gatekeeper

Ironpig
11-04-2001, 07:55 AM
You know...the opinion of other people TRULY does not matter.

Each of us will have different experiences with even the same people.

You should take your personal experience and weigh it against how you stack up working with people from other styles.

If you find a weakness or have a question, you can certainly ask your instructors there, they will always have an answer.

The strength of an American fusion style is in adapting new techniques into your arsenal and working on material from many sources.

Honest? What does that mean really. Not as an attack on you, but from the standpoint of what you are looking for in the question.

If you have questions or training you want to engage in, you should do so. After ten years you certainly should have a good learning curve.

If you are looking for crap on the style, there will always be people who hate somebody enough to find it. If you ask enough then it will come out for sure.

I have lost my temper more than once remembering the poor experiences that I have had, and at the same time remember good ones as well.

If you are asking this kind of question, you should ask people like Jason what he thinks, or Mary, or any of the people there. They have opinions, like all people, and you should give them the chance to answer a few questions.

If you think that you will get no real answers, then you already have your answer, dont you?

I would think that ten years of trust so far is a pretty powerful relationship.

Give them the trust you have had with them the whole time and talk with your teachers about it.

-Rob

PS: Take care of yourself

just a few pennies from a pig.....
-"bigger is BIGGER"

IronPig

MASTERMAN
11-05-2001, 05:51 PM
Gatekeeper,

It sounds like your ready to settle down to realistic/street reality MA. Your school is geared toward competition/sport, that does get old after awhile.

I train and teach traditional Kenpo with an emphasis toward getting the job done.

Visit my site sign in maybe I can help: www.mnkenpo.com (http://www.mnkenpo.com)

Peace,

Dave Simmons