PDA

View Full Version : Application of Biu Johng

Eric Olson
05-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Doe anyone have a video showing a clean application of Biu Johng? This technique shows up a lot in CLF but I've yet to see a very convincing application.

Also, I notice the body position on this technique varies quite a bit so I'm curious to see if people have a different idea about its application.

Thanks,

EO

Ben Gash
05-06-2011, 04:21 PM
It's just the same as Peng/ward off from Taiji. Typically applied as an off-balancing throw.

TenTigers
05-06-2011, 07:33 PM
biu-jong can come from the front or back, from the front, it can be an unbalancing technique, a takedown, or if it is across the throat, can crush the trachea. If applied with a wrist/arm grab, you can lock/break the elbow against the body while coming across the throat.
From the rear, it strikes the base of the skull.
Often, it is used in conjunction with sow-choy, such as been choy,sow choy,biu-jong.

hskwarrior
05-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Here is a drill we do with biu jong in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtSQwF-c7ak

BDBSK
05-06-2011, 08:26 PM
We use it to crash the center line, then to Thai clinch. I should do a vid on it.

hskwarrior
05-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Biu Jong can be used to crash thru someones guard, as a strike to a limb, torso, or head.

TenTigers
05-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Here is a drill we do with biu jong in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtSQwF-c7ak
that's what we do when we do been sow jong. Our gwa is more of a downward backfist and been being horizontal-po-tay-to, po-tah-to

hskwarrior
05-06-2011, 09:06 PM
that's what we do when we do been sow jong. Our gwa is more of a downward backfist and been being horizontal-po-tay-to, po-tah-to

Our Kwa Choy's are vertical, horizontal, and diagonal. in this drill from the video, you can kwa Choy in a Sei Ping Ma, Sow Choy in a Twist Horse, then step up into a Din Ji Ma (for us) with the Biu Jong or you can side side step with the Kwa then strike with the sow, step up and strike with the biu jong.

hskwarrior
05-06-2011, 09:28 PM
at 1:42 and 2:09 you see me doing successive biu jongs (just like five of em) and the second one is just one of my beginner students drilling biu jong on the pads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skMlRPETqic

Violent Designs
05-06-2011, 09:41 PM
I use biu jong more as a penetrating "drilling" bridge/entrance technique rather than an uprooting/bodycheck technique.

Probably because I don't like the motion so much.

Eric Olson
05-07-2011, 06:06 AM
Thanks for your responses.

I just don't see this as a preferred technique. For example, if I wanted to strike the throat I'd use a knife-hand strike (faster), if I wanted to knock someone down I'd use Gwa Cheui or Dat Cheui to the mid section (more powerful.)

So I'm wondering if there are any unique advantages to this technique? In my brand of CLF it shows up an awful lot. As ten tigers mentioned it can be used as a behind the elbow break (ie you block and trap the punching arm and come up behind the elbow with Biu Johng), maybe this is the primary application? It would make sense because it's also not very powerful but you don't need a huge amount of power for this application (hurts like a *****!)

EO

jdhowland
05-07-2011, 07:56 AM
So I'm wondering if there are any unique advantages to this technique? In my brand of CLF it shows up an awful lot. As ten tigers mentioned it can be used as a behind the elbow break (ie you block and trap the punching arm and come up behind the elbow with Biu Johng), maybe this is the primary application? It would make sense because it's also not very powerful but you don't need a huge amount of power for this application (hurts like a *****!)

EO

In our style we use yeuhng kiuh for this because it is quicker. Biu johng is not usually strong enough to knock someone down but makes a great entry for a shoulder lock and throw.

A favorite app for this is to enter by stepping behind the lead lead leg and unbalance with full side contact (get your ribs right up against his) at the same time as you turn your hips to destabilize his lead leg with your thigh. If you control his lead arm with the assisting hand the biu johng begins by jamming your lead shoulder into his armpit, then follow through. In this application the fist never even touches your opponent. It just adds momentum for the shoulder and upper arm contact to complete the throw. If he reacts quickly by leaning forward, drag your elbow up from under his arm and press it into the back of his shoulder to take him down the other way.

This can also be done as a front entry, striking with biu johng behind the shoulder but i've never seen it work in sparring.

TenTigers
05-07-2011, 01:22 PM
As ten tigers mentioned it can be used as a behind the elbow break (ie you block and trap the punching arm and come up behind the elbow with Biu Johng), maybe this is the primary application? It would make sense because it's also not very powerful but you don't need a huge amount of power for this application (hurts like a *****!)

EO
ah, you misunderstood. Let me see if I can clarify:
Let's say you and your opponent are in a left lead.
You throw been choy to his head-through his guard, and as you step in with your right leg into a right side horse, you grab his arm with your left hand. As you land in your right side horse, you throw a right sow choy through the base of the skull.
Maintaining the grasp of the opponent's left arm, you then come back under his throat with biu-jong. You are now locking/breaking his left elbow with your body/chest, while striking thr throat.

Violent Designs
05-07-2011, 01:57 PM
You throw been choy to his head-through his guard, and as you step in with your right leg into a right side horse, you grab his arm with your left hand. As you land in your right side horse, you throw a right sow choy through the base of the skull.
Maintaining the grasp of the opponent's left arm, you then come back under his throat with biu-jong. You are now locking/breaking his left elbow with your body/chest, while striking thr throat.

this sounds complicated. :/

hskwarrior
05-07-2011, 03:21 PM
The Biu Jong isn't locked down to striking just the throat. it can be used to strike the ribs, the back, to attack a punch and break elbow

TenTigers
05-07-2011, 04:15 PM
The Biu Jong isn't locked down to striking just the throat. it can be used to strike the ribs, the back, to attack a punch and break elbow
agreed. I was just showing one example.
Violent-it's only complicated when you try to write it out step by step. In application, it's a second in time, and simple to apply.

Drake
05-07-2011, 04:26 PM
It can also be used on the chest. Or swing low and tap the jimmy.

CLFNole
05-07-2011, 06:00 PM
You can also simply use it as a block to set up other techniques but I agree with JDs app about shooting in and using it in combination with the stance as an "uprooting" type of technique.

Drake
05-07-2011, 06:26 PM
You can also simply use it as a block to set up other techniques but I agree with JDs app about shooting in and using it in combination with the stance as an "uprooting" type of technique.

But you have to admit, biu jong to the jimmy would hurt...

TenTigers
05-07-2011, 07:30 PM
But you have to admit, biu jong to the jimmy would hurt...
heck, a finger flick (ska-doosh) to the jimmy would hurt....

hskwarrior
05-07-2011, 07:46 PM
I protect Jimmy more than any other part of my body cause i know what its like to have jimmy be attacked. LOL

CLFNole
05-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Anything to the jimmy hurts but biu jong wouldn't be a preferred technique to use because of the angle it comes from.

hskwarrior
05-07-2011, 08:07 PM
yeah, Biu Jong is waist and above imo

Drake
05-07-2011, 10:20 PM
yeah, Biu Jong is waist and above imo

That's true. But yeah.... leave it to me to find jimmy-strike applications for everything.

You know... sou choi.... fu jau.... kup choi....

The jimmy isn't safe.

Eric Olson
05-08-2011, 08:09 AM

Ah...ok...I see what you are saying. Especially true in the Hung Gar movement where the non-striking hand swings to the back of the body.

Not so different than the takedown app though.

EO

TenTigers
05-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Not so different than the takedown app though.

EO
exactly-the movement is the same, just applied differently. That's what I love about Kung-Fu; you can take one movement and have multiple applications.

bamboozled
05-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Interesting...I learnt Biu Johng choy differently, like a straight punch except that the knuckles are facing down and the palm side is facing up. The trajectory of the punch is more-than-less straight (like a straight punch) and not an arc. Anyone else?:confused:

YouKnowWho
05-08-2011, 07:45 PM
So I'm wondering if there are any unique advantages to this technique?
- Your opponent uses floor sweep to attack your leading leg, you lift your leg to let the sweep to pass through under your foot.
- Your opponent continues his body spinning and changes into a tornado kick at your head, you step in and use this move to strike on his waist while his body is spinning half way.

I had seen my teacher used this move to knock a challenger and made the challenger's body to fly 45 degree upward (I have seen people been knocked down but I have never seen poeople been knocked up).

If you put your leading leg behind your opponent's leg, you can use this move as a 靠(Kao) throw to knock his body over your leg (as a bench).

hskwarrior
05-08-2011, 09:40 PM
The Biu Jong is an upward/diagonally swinging strike...not a punch. Think of it like a reverse clothes line.

One of the benefits of this technique is that the horse stances involved with this strike aid in the outcome. The Din Ji Ma and Biu Jong can be used to send him backwards with your lead leg sending him off balance. But, with a Sei Ping Ma sweep and Biu Jong acts like a scissor type motion. And followed up with other techniques can cause even more damage.

Eric Olson
05-09-2011, 03:38 AM
Interesting...I learnt Biu Johng choy differently, like a straight punch except that the knuckles are facing down and the palm side is facing up. The trajectory of the punch is more-than-less straight (like a straight punch) and not an arc. Anyone else?:confused:

Interesting you bring this up because I believe Biu actually means something like "darting" which doesn't really describe the motion very well as we're describing it.

EO

JamesC
05-09-2011, 03:45 AM
This guy teaches it as a punch as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNzKRH-VtCs

You'll have to watch it starting at around 5:00 for that part

hskwarrior
05-09-2011, 06:43 AM
This guy teaches it as a punch as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNzKRH-VtCs

You'll have to watch it starting at around 5:00 for that part

This video doesn't show a CHOY LEE FUT Biu Jong. this guy uses it as some kind of punch when it isn't a punch at all. it's a swinging forearm strike which a closed fist or open could be applied since the striking surface of the biu jong is the forearm and not the fist.

JamesC
05-09-2011, 06:46 AM
This video doesn't show a CHOY LEE FUT Biu Jong. this guy uses it as some kind of punch when it isn't a punch at all. it's a swinging forearm strike which a closed fist or open could be applied since the striking surface of the biu jong is the forearm and not the fist.

Right. My post was more for Bamboozled(sp?) since he mentioned that he was taught it as a punch.

Besides, doesn't hurt to get a different take on it.

hskwarrior
05-09-2011, 06:49 AM
As you can see here with Doc Fai Wong's book cover, BIU JONG is a purely a forearm strike. no fists involved.

http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/17/27/57562717/photos/Our-Pictures/BUP217.jpg

Drake
05-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Perhaps it is a tonal difference? Spelled the same, different tone.

Drake
05-09-2011, 06:52 AM
It's also part of GM DFW's Ng Lun Chui form, though I'm not sure if it pops up in the Buk Sing, Hung Sing, or Chan Family lineages.

Edit: As part of their ng lun chui, I mean.

hskwarrior
05-09-2011, 06:55 AM
It's also part of GM DFW's Ng Lun Chui form, though I'm not sure if it pops up in the Buk Sing, Hung Sing, or Chan Family lineages.

Edit: As part of their ng lun chui, I mean.

Biu Jong appears in all three main lineages of Choy Lee Fut.

at 7:46 you will see the CLF master using Biu Jong against a strike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2omntCG76HM

Drake
05-09-2011, 06:58 AM

I was referring to the ng lun chui, though. You might have quoted that while I threw in that edit.

hskwarrior
05-09-2011, 07:00 AM
i think thats what happened.

Biu-jong: 摽撞
Shoot out and crash into, or Crashing Forearm: Always turn the upper body45 degrees forward, and press the opposite palm downwards near the front hip.

bamboozled
05-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Oh boy, sorry - I should clarify...the Biu Jong Choy I described previously was for Hung Ga. Did any other Hung Ga peeps learn it that way too or did you learn it like our Choy Lee Fut cousins?

YouKnowWho
05-09-2011, 06:59 PM

This move is not unique in the CLF system. It also exists in the Gong Li system. In the following clip from 0.43 to 0.50, you can see that the 三環套月(San Huan Tao Yue) - 3 rings catch the moon" was repeated 4 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64OHQ5QEjNE

hskwarrior
05-09-2011, 07:37 PM
That's cool. no issues there. but do you really think that was the style that guy was using?

Eric Olson
05-09-2011, 08:21 PM
This move is not unique in the CLF system. It also exists in the Gong Li system. In the following clip from 0.43 to 0.50, you can see that the 三環套月(San Huan Tao Yue) - 3 rings catch the moon" was repeated 4 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64OHQ5QEjNE

Not exactly the same, in this video the palm is not up but rather perpendicular to the floor. I learned that technique as Dat Cheui but I think others call it Been Cheui.

EO

Eric Olson
05-09-2011, 08:25 PM

Nice applications in that video. I think what he shows here is actually the primary use of Biu Johng.

When you think about it, it's not a very powerful strike because even if you can get your waist into it, the deltoid muscles on the outer part of your shoulder that finish the motion are pretty weak. So I don't know that you could really knock someone down unless you had them completely unbalanced.

I don't find it to be a very natural motion. Perhaps having weird strike like this is to catch the opponent off guard.

EO

Drake
05-09-2011, 08:31 PM
That's how I've seen it used. Off-timing knockdowns or followups with rotating an advancing say ping ma behind the lead leg of the opponent.