PDA

View Full Version : Sow Choy One Hitter Quitter

hskwarrior
05-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Check out the sow choy knock out at 1:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HGW8y64HC4&feature=feedrec_grec_index

Hebrew Hammer
05-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Not exactly, but close. Just looked like a sloppy overhand right. Good fight though...

JamesC
05-09-2011, 03:14 AM
Overhand right as I was taught it.

Not sure what it is called in kung fu. Good technique, though.

JamesC
05-09-2011, 03:22 AM
Just watched Parella's video on the Sow Choy. Looks like a **** good technique to me. Would absolutely suck to get hit by it.

Eric Olson
05-09-2011, 05:15 AM
Not exactly a Sao Cheui but this is how it could be used with boxing gloves on.

EO

hskwarrior
05-09-2011, 07:40 AM
I'd call it a sow choy. The strike starts low and full swings until it connects. plus, i think the gung fu guy was a CLF practitioner. could be wrong. but in my eyes, that was a sow choy.

sanjuro_ronin
05-09-2011, 07:58 AM
A "looping overhand right" is a Sow Choy.

hskwarrior
05-09-2011, 08:07 AM
A "looping overhand right" is a Sow Choy.

CLF Sow Choy can be done Horizontally and Diagonally and even similarly to an uppercut.

Sow-Choy: 掃捶
Sweeping fist: (1) Upper Sow-Choy strikes the temple diagonally and , or (2) the forearm strikes to the back of the neck. (3) Lower Sow-Choy strikes to the kidney, or lower ribs.
(4) Horizontal Sow Choy (Similar to a boxers Hook except with a straighter arm). (5) similar to upper cut but thrown like a Sow Choy.

sanjuro_ronin
05-09-2011, 08:37 AM
CLF Sow Choy can be done Horizontally and Diagonally and even similarly to an uppercut.

Sow-Choy: 掃捶
Sweeping fist: (1) Upper Sow-Choy strikes the temple diagonally and , or (2) the forearm strikes to the back of the neck. (3) Lower Sow-Choy strikes to the kidney, or lower ribs.
(4) Horizontal Sow Choy (Similar to a boxers Hook except with a straighter arm). (5) similar to upper cut but thrown like a Sow Choy.

Granted.
Any "whipping" or "looping" punch that follows the "lunging" movement of the body can be a Sow Choy.
A "ridge hand" can be a sow choy ( or vice-versa), a forearm strike and even a "clothes line".

hskwarrior
05-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Granted.
Any "whipping" or "looping" punch that follows the "lunging" movement of the body can be a Sow Choy.
A "ridge hand" can be a sow choy ( or vice-versa), a forearm strike and even a "clothes line".

yup. if you apply the proper mechanics of the strike, all of that can be thought of as a sow choy type technique. The head, face, neck area is the chosen targets. But, does a ridge hand follow through? i thought it stops at its target then pulls away?

and yeah, the clothes line and sow choy are closely related.

sanjuro_ronin
05-09-2011, 09:44 AM
yup. if you apply the proper mechanics of the strike, all of that can be thought of as a sow choy type technique. The head, face, neck area is the chosen targets. But, does a ridge hand follow through? i thought it stops at its target then pulls away?

and yeah, the clothes line and sow choy are closely related.

The ridge hand is like the "helicopter blade" of Karate, LOL !
I've seen the flicking ridge hand and fail to see how that is anything but an irritant for puny mortals.
My ridge hand smashes against the ribs or liver or the side of the neck with all the finesse and subtly of a baseball bat against Joe Pesci's head !

JamesC
05-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Here's a good video of the Ridge Hand(Haito Uchi) strike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAaZailBD1A

hskwarrior
05-09-2011, 10:06 AM
The ridge hand is like the "helicopter blade" of Karate, LOL !
I've seen the flicking ridge hand and fail to see how that is anything but an irritant for puny mortals.
My ridge hand smashes against the ribs or liver or the side of the neck with all the finesse and subtly of a baseball bat against Joe Pesci's head !

thats what i'm talking about

hskwarrior
05-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Here's a good video of the Ridge Hand(Haito Uchi) strike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAaZailBD1A

all of that is very very close to how the sow choy is used.

hskwarrior
05-09-2011, 10:17 AM
In this video, at the 2 min mark you see my student doing pad work for the sow choy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQMeaTfAy0

Eric Olson
05-09-2011, 10:23 AM
even a "clothes line".

This is my favorite application of Sao Cheui--a swinging clothes line to the throat.

EO

hskwarrior
05-09-2011, 10:35 AM
The first KO was from a Sow Choy as well. :D

Shaolindynasty
05-09-2011, 02:38 PM
I think this is the same event. It was Choy Lay Fut vs. Muay Thai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UGgsbEgVeo&feature=player_embedded#at=374

Never mind not the same event but similar

Hebrew Hammer
05-10-2011, 12:10 AM
I always wondered why CLF didn't incorporate the 'hooks' in the training I did...its such a devastating strike or can be. It's great to pivot off with and change your angle of attack. With it's circular motion I wonder why it hasn't been more prevalent in Asian arts...anyone have a take on that???

Hardwork108
05-12-2011, 04:06 PM
I always wondered why CLF didn't incorporate the 'hooks' in the training I did...its such a devastating strike or can be. It's great to pivot off with and change your angle of attack. With it's circular motion I wonder why it hasn't been more prevalent in Asian arts...anyone have a take on that???

I believe that such techniques are more prevalent in Kung fu than it would first appear, but the fact that they are not as common as one might expect may have something to do with discoveries of "technologies" that can give one "Short Power", where one is able to do telling, if not devastating damage from short range.

This may have left the wider and longer range techniques, kind of absolete within certain branches of TCMAs.

Anyway, I am hypothesizing....

hskwarrior
05-12-2011, 04:45 PM
I believe that such techniques are more prevalent in Kung fu than it would first appear, but the fact that they are not as common as one might expect may have something to do with discoveries of "technologies" that can give one "Short Power", where one is able to do telling, if not devastating damage from short range.

This may have left the wider and longer range techniques, kind of absolete within certain branches of TCMAs.

Anyway, I am hypothesizing....

We train long range to have a stronger short range. The Sow Choy doesn't always have to be a long range strike. it can indeed be performed mid and short range as well. Typically we train long range but all ranges are needed to be covered.

YouKnowWho
05-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Similiar move exist in the longfist 十字趟 too (at 0.13, 0.16).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhrDP025ip0

Eric Olson
05-13-2011, 04:58 AM

CLF has a hook punch! I can't remember the exact Chinese name but it means something like "put the horn on the bull".

EO

Eric Olson
05-13-2011, 05:01 AM
Similiar move exist in the longfist 十字趟 too (at 0.13, 0.16).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhrDP025ip0

That's Chin Ji Cheui (axe fist)...it's a shorter strike.

EO