PDA

View Full Version : punching on the ground

bennyvt
05-09-2011, 04:30 AM
When punching to the sides of the body while on the ground, how do you punch.
do you use the normal vertical fist
do you use the biu jee punch with the wrist turn
do you use the chum kiu punch.
Normally on the feet you would move yourself so even though it is his side the strike is still in your centre by either moving or moving him. But on the ground you cant just step to the side.
I first found doing bag drills that it was very hard to do the normal punch, either you had to have your elbow way out and even then you tend to hit with the finger part of the fist (distal portion of the first metatarsal). This tended to hurt me more then anything.
I find that although I have the flexibility to do the biu jee punch, hitting with the wrist at that angle hurts heaps as well. But it does add more of a circular movement which produces more force.
I like to use the chum kiu punch. The twist gives extra force when doing short shots and it is easier to hit with the knuckles. Also this can be used as a tearing move against the muscle (this move is used in catch/shoot against the skin to hurt or hopefully pull muscles. normally used to set up another move).
well any thoughts, would rather from experience. Its easy, get a heavy bag, lay it on the ground, put your chest to it and punch the sides of the bag.
Give it a go then come back with your findings.

sanjuro_ronin
05-09-2011, 05:42 AM
Punching from the TOP, well, almost anything works to be honest.
But I do tend to prefer Phoenix- Eye fists and such if I do not have the room to "drop bombs".
Punching from the bottom should only be done when we have some sort of control over the opponent on top are we will just set ourselves up to get GnP'd or subbed.
Because you have so little leveage from the bottom and, typically, can only do circular punches, once again PE fists and "force multipliers" work well IMO.

anerlich
05-09-2011, 11:31 PM
A rounded type of punch with the wrist slightly bent. Not really a power shot, more trying to get him to defend with his elbow so he is open to a shot to the head.

bennyvt
05-10-2011, 02:58 AM
thought more people would have tried it. 90 views and two comments.
Yeh I meant on the top. I just found that when hitting the sides of the guy you weren't hitting straight to the normal punch was hard to do.
This isn't a grappling thing, I first saw hitting the bag on the ground on the UFC and thought it seemed pretty good. I used to do this as part of my normal bag training, ie the heavy bag swinging, wall bag and the heavy bag on the ground.
Since I found some good bag exercises by a guy named hatmaker. Like swinging it, doing sort of clean and jerks, stepping with it on your shoulder etc. A really good work out even if you don't do the grappling stuff.

trubblman
05-10-2011, 04:16 AM
I d just kick the person, it's more direct.