PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Ryu What do you think of this?

rogue
09-25-2001, 12:36 AM
This is from a conversation with someone on another forum. Please note the section I've italicized.

------------------------------------------------
"rogue wrote:
Personally, I've walked into a side kick had some ribs cracked and still managed to easily sweep that person ( a 2nd degree BB ) , which for them was game over since they didn't have any ground skills. I've also managed to stop a Judoka from closing and nailed him with a front kick to the gut, but then he's gotten past me more than I've nailed him."

"Other person wrote:
I assume you were sparring and not trying to kill each other, in which case the cracked ribs would have been broken ribs, and your statement proves my point. I never said that MMA don't have kicks. What I said is that kicks are not the unbalancing and ineffectual things that many assume them to be. However, as a grappler, the judoka's techniques are not so limited when you are talking about sparring at 1/2 power or 1/2 speed, due to the fact that many of their techniques are not as debilitating as a kick, or other strike, designed to do damage to the skeletal structure."
(Italics mine)

---------------------------------------------

This response from an experienced martial artist actually stunned me so much it left me without a response.

From now on, enemies who are associated with terrorist activity will not cohabit the globe with the United States of America. William F. Buckley

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/u/us-gads.gif
Never forget

Ryu
11-08-2001, 03:18 AM
Wow, this is the first time I saw this Rogue.
Sorry for the delay.

Well since judo specializes in throwing, and join manipulation, the degree of damage to the actual skeletal system would logically be more than that of a striking art. I think what he means is that you can't "slowly" go for a takedown, etc. You gotta commit. :)

Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."