PDA

View Full Version : Favourite submission moves

Frost
05-17-2011, 04:58 AM
I know seven star started one of these threads years ago but thought id see what people have been working on, yiou can even include chin na if you wish :)

personally I love chokes, so I have been working a lot on the guillotine from guard, both open and closed, working several variations including arm in, ten finger and marcellos version which I find is a really reall tight choke.

I have also been working on back hunting and going for the rear naked, either using the harness grip or gift wrapping from mount (and even guard) and forcing the turn over and choking from there

Also been working the arm in triangle from mount, the Darc, anaconda and any other way I can think of to hurt the opponents neck even hitting a few Peruvian neck ties :)

I have also been working various sweeps into heel hooks, not a big fan of leg locks but I love the heel hook, both as a finishing move and using it to sweep

Iron_Eagle_76
05-17-2011, 05:08 AM
I'm not much of a submission guy but if I had to pick rear naked after taking the back would be one of my favs. Also, guillotine I like for wrestlers who leave their head exposed during the shoot or for newbs, much harder to pull off against someone with experience.

Drilling in all scenirios is the only way to get better at submissions, just like any technique. When doing groundwork I generally spend more time getting dominant position and ground and pound or working to stand back up, as I am more comfortable striking.

David Jamieson
05-17-2011, 05:15 AM
A kick in the knee and a few hard punches to the face will get someone submitting to you fast.

I know you're excited about mma and what not, but submission moves? I assume you mean choke outs or limb locks?

Ben Gash
05-17-2011, 06:08 AM
While not the coolest, armbar from top positions and triangle off my back.

donjitsu2
05-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Chokes are my favorite if my life and/or honor depend on it :D

...but if it's just on the mat then I like the kimura from the mount/side mount.

David Jamieson
05-17-2011, 06:11 AM
I've gotten handy with slipping a guillotine on others, so, I guess it would be that.

I usually lock it and just sit back and take him with...

sanjuro_ronin
05-17-2011, 06:19 AM
From my experience the bread n butter choke is the RNC ( in it's many variations), it is the safest, easiest to control and works on virtually everyone.
Cross chokes have worked for me too.
Never used a triangle or leg lock outside of competitions.
Have used an arm bar from the bottom.
Standing joint locks work when they are "softened up" or you have help.

lkfmdc
05-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Rear naked choke (RNC) is the highest percentage and safest no doubt. I have never seen someone NOT effected by it (we have tons of experience and stories about guys getting ankles and elbows popped and being able to still fight)

For similar reasons I like the triangle. It is my "go to" when stuck on the bottom. Arm bar from guard can work, but people know how to defend it and some guys just power out (personally, I tell people drill arm bar and sweep combination for exactly this reason)

I would never go for a straight arm bar from the top, usually want a "kimura" but often get given "americana" as a gift

Dragonzbane76
05-17-2011, 11:37 AM
I love the kimora myself. Love using it from side mount with a crusifix holding the other arm stagnent.

I have many i like but I find myself slipping into set ups for that more than any other.

RNC is a go to for me when the sprawl hits. spinning on back into hook position always a good one.

YouKnowWho
05-17-2011, 03:52 PM
A kick in the knee and a few hard punches to the face will get someone submitting to you fast.

My favor move is to drop my elbow on the back of my opponent's head. After someone almost killed me by his elbow dropping on my heart (back in 1980), I got very interested in "elbow dropping".

David Jamieson
05-17-2011, 03:54 PM
My favor move is to drop my elbow on the back of my opponent's head. After someone almost killed me by his elbow droppong on my heart, I got very interested in "elbow dropping".

I recently elbowed myself in the face practicing some bagua applications at a friends club. lol

I'm not proud of it, but, it happens. :D

YouKnowWho
05-17-2011, 04:00 PM
I recently elbowed myself in the face practicing some bagua applications at a friends club. lol

I had dropped my elbow on someone's throat (Adam apple) before. It worked very well. The elbow striking is not allowed in most of the Sanda/Sanshou fight, but it works pretty good on the ground.

People may ignore the effectiveness of the sharp elbow dropping. If I wasn't a victim once in my life, I may not even pay attention on this powerful "finish' move.

Dragonzbane76
05-17-2011, 07:48 PM
one saying i always use when teaching class. "an elbow or knee will end a fight quicker than most anything."

YouKnowWho
05-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Old Chinese saying also said, "I prefer to be hit by punches 7 times than to be hit by elbow just once".

Dragonzbane76
05-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Old Chinese saying also said, "I prefer to be hit by punches 7 times than to be hit by elbow just once".

I reference it to a lesser equivilant of being hit by a hammer.

sanjuro_ronin
05-18-2011, 06:10 AM

I once punched myself in the nose doing bag work !

JamesC
05-18-2011, 06:13 AM
I once punched myself in the nose doing bag work !

I've kneed myself in the face while grappling on more than one occassion. I'm pretty sure I was trying for a triangle most times and was attempting to shoot my leg over their neck.

sanjuro_ronin
05-18-2011, 07:19 AM
I've kneed myself in the face while grappling on more than one occassion. I'm pretty sure I was trying for a triangle most times and was attempting to shoot my leg over their neck.

Oh yeah?
I once choked myself out, I triangled myself !
Beat that !
:p

Iron_Eagle_76
05-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Ronin working out on his home gym!!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xernRUfk5wE

sanjuro_ronin
05-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Ronin working out on his home gym!!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xernRUfk5wE

LMAO !!

No joke, the other day I was working out and my eldest grabs one of my training sticks and smacks me in the back !
I asked her why she did it and she says, " there is no surprise for a ninja !!"

SPJ
05-18-2011, 08:43 AM
I know seven star started one of these threads years ago but thought id see what people have been working on, yiou can even include chin na if you wish :)

personally I love chokes, so I have been working a lot on the guillotine from guard, both open and closed, working several variations including arm in, ten finger and marcellos version which I find is a really reall tight choke.

I have also been working on back hunting and going for the rear naked, either using the harness grip or gift wrapping from mount (and even guard) and forcing the turn over and choking from there

Also been working the arm in triangle from mount, the Darc, anaconda and any other way I can think of to hurt the opponents neck even hitting a few Peruvian neck ties :)

I have also been working various sweeps into heel hooks, not a big fan of leg locks but I love the heel hook, both as a finishing move and using it to sweep

one punch or one kick KO.

:)

KC Elbows
05-18-2011, 09:00 AM
LMAO !!

No joke, the other day I was working out and my eldest grabs one of my training sticks and smacks me in the back !
I asked her why she did it and she says, " there is no surprise for a ninja !!"

LMAO!!

This reminds me, we've got stuff stored in our garage from several members of my wife's family. I'm going through stuff a few weeks back, and I find a ninja sword.

Of course, I did not find a ninja. This goes without saying.

The key points that come to mind are:

Did I just disarm the ninja by bringing the sword in the house, or was that part of the ninja's plan, as it's probably easier to sneak unseen when not carrying a sword?

Where is the nacho cheese?

Am I being stalked by a ninja, or a ninjette?

If the latter, why is Gene trying to kill me?

And, lastly, WHERE IS THE NACHO CHEESE?

wiz cool c
05-18-2011, 09:37 AM
i like scissor sweet from the guard into the mount,from there i can do a number of things,but because i am more of a judo guy then a bjj guy,i usually just hold him there

SPJ
05-18-2011, 09:42 AM
My favor move is to drop my elbow on the back of my opponent's head. After someone almost killed me by his elbow dropping on my heart (back in 1980), I got very interested in "elbow dropping".

yes.

there are also other painful elbow techniques

horizontal swing of the elbow or beng zhou.

forward stabbing of the elbow or ding xin zhou, elbow the chest or heart

--

yes, we may take many punches, but take the hits from the elbow

big ouch.

:)

YouKnowWho
05-19-2011, 08:31 PM
I like to turn my leading arm control into an arm bar by moving my knee under my opponent's arm. I also like to turn my leading arm control into a triangle lock. Of course my favor submission move is to use my head lock to squeese my opponent's skull and make him to tap out. It always worked very well for me in the past.

Dragonzbane76
05-20-2011, 05:47 PM
the other night I came across something that I think is under rated when teaching grappling. The head and neck. Not in submissions but the use of them attempting said submissions. I wrestled coming up through school and didn't really think much about it because it was a natural thing for me. While Watching people learn ground work, a student said something to me that made me think. he said " how is it that you can get (x) submission easily and every time I try I feel like i'm not using everything" I continued to watch and found that most of the time it was using the head and neck that was lacking in the newer students manipulations. sometimes using the head and neck is like having a third arm and helps tremendously. I stopped some of the students and showed them the placement of my head and how to push through or hold something while grappling. Seemed to help them. anyways my 2 cents.

Frost
05-21-2011, 03:37 PM
yep the head and neck on the ground is very useful, both as a post if you are doing rolled or as a way to trap a limb as in setting up a side choke in side control or in isolating the arm so they cant escape a sub (like in the key lock) its also great way to annoy someone :)

mjw
05-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Yeah I'll use my head to push down the arm for an americana lock.

Then back to the original question I like RNC and Kimoras from the bottom especially from half guard after trying a few sweeps if the arm is there I take it:D

brothernumber9
05-23-2011, 10:13 AM
I like the figure four leg lock and the Boston Crab.

I'm waiting for the day when someone in the guard finally decides to try it during an MMA bout. I think it could actually happen.

Frost
05-24-2011, 04:51 AM
I like the figure four leg lock and the Boston Crab.

I'm waiting for the day when someone in the guard finally decides to try it during an MMA bout. I think it could actually happen.

Thanks for the laugh

The only way we will see that in the UFC is if Tony C finally decides to leave his mums basement, stop fleecing people out of their hard earned cash and actually compete in something……..anything…..….anywhere………….so I wouldn’t hold your breath lol

lkfmdc
05-24-2011, 05:32 AM
The Boston crab is a "show hold" ie never intended to actually work

The "half" Boston crab (essentially an inverse achilles tendon lock) is a real hold though and can be used. It has been used in sambo for years, and a student of a close friend submitted a brown belt in BJJ with it at a tournament I attended once

just saying

Frost
05-24-2011, 05:40 AM
tell that to tony C and Victor both think you can hit the boston from the guard :)

brothernumber9
05-24-2011, 06:05 AM
what about the cobra clutch, you think that could work?

SPJ
05-24-2011, 08:48 AM
john rambo preferred weapon is the bow and arrow for long range

machete for mid range

a bayonet or small jagged knife for short range.

and he meant to kill.

or the final submission.

:D

Frost
05-25-2011, 05:07 AM
what about the cobra clutch, you think that could work?

not sure but our guys have pulled off the hells gate in comp :o)

and the day i ht a rock bottom ill e a happy man

goju
05-25-2011, 08:26 AM
and the day i ht a rock bottom ill e a happy man

I did a modified version of it(using the other arm to help lift )on a shaolin- do BB :D

need the choke slam now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTtniB6nKg0&feature=player_embedded