PDA

View Full Version : Favourite takedowns and throws

Frost
05-17-2011, 04:59 AM
So why not a thread on throws as well, I have been working several new takedowns at the moment

One is the high double as shown to us by (one punch) brad picket, hitting it without going to the knee and gripping around the backside rather than behind the knees

Another is from taking the back sitting down shooting through a leg between the opponents legs and sweeping them backwards and into a heel hook

Ive also been re-working the knee tap off the under hook as well as my old favourite the lateral drop

So what are others working on at the moment?

David Jamieson
05-17-2011, 05:16 AM
hip toss =#1

Iron_Eagle_76
05-17-2011, 05:32 AM
Hip Throw from Under/Over hook.

Double Leg Uproot

Arm drags and wh**izzers are fun to work in all their variations as well.:)

MightyB
05-17-2011, 05:36 AM
Sumi Gaeshi - no one ever sees it coming.

feint Uchi Mata to real Tai Otoshi

lkfmdc
05-17-2011, 06:58 AM
One is the high double as shown to us by (one punch) brad picket, hitting it without going to the knee and gripping around the backside rather than behind the knees

a standing double (no knee down) but with knee grips is something Randy Couture and Matt Lindland drilled with us to death when we trained with them. Also were very specific about why they use the grip on knees rather than backside....

We also use a lot of body locks and sags with variations

Frost
05-17-2011, 07:31 AM
a standing double (no knee down) but with knee grips is something Randy Couture and Matt Lindland drilled with us to death when we trained with them. Also were very specific about why they use the grip on knees rather than backside....

We also use a lot of body locks and sags with variations

Would love to hear there reasoning as that’s how I did it for years until our coaches got this from pickett who picked it up from Matt? Brown (think I got his first name wrong the former WEC champ), personally I cant get out of the habit of hitting the low double knee down, but for MMA training where they stand higher I can see the merit of the standing double first, and then going to the knee if they move, it gives you another foot to travel after the initial penitration

Weare taught it with a gable grip under the buttocks then pull the elbows in to off balance as move through them and then reap the legs to the side, plus points for me is its really hard to sprawl out of as you are controlling the buttocks and not the knees

MightyB
05-17-2011, 07:36 AM
I like O Soto Gari and Harai Goshi too. Both have variations that are used in wrestling.

There is a big danger to an untrained opponent with O Soto Gari even though it's probably the first throw most Judo guys learn so be careful if you intend to learn it to use it in self defense.

lkfmdc
05-17-2011, 07:38 AM
Would love to hear there reasoning as that’s how I did it for years until our coaches got this from pickett who picked it up from Matt? Brown (think I got his first name wrong the former WEC champ), personally I cant get out of the habit of hitting the low double knee down, but for MMA training where they stand higher I can see the merit of the standing double first, and then going to the knee if they move, it gives you another foot to travel after the initial penitration

Weare taught it with a gable grip under the buttocks then pull the elbows in to off balance as move through them and then reap the legs to the side, plus points for me is its really hard to sprawl out of as you are controlling the buttocks and not the knees

Not coming from a free style wrestling background, we seem to pick up the standing version well.

In fact, the dropping to the knee was the preferred "go to" method when things fell apart from this

The gripping the knees as opposed to backside, well, according to them (and they showed us what they meant) if all things are equal (ie you are doing the grips correctly AND they guy you are doing it to is a good wrestler) - you have better chances and more options grabbing the knees

For any wrestler that "hips in" the rearend grab puts you in a really bad position. He can try to sprawl back but if you have the correct angles and know the follow ups, according to them (and their olympic level coaches btw) the knee is a better option

Frost
05-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Yep it’s a different way of thinking for me, high shot and then going to the knee, as before its always been low shot and work from there (although being a heavyweight and not having a free style background its normally foget the low stuff and body locks trips and trips/sags all day long lol

Thanks for the reply, the above is why for years our coaches taught the behind the knee lift, and why I still like to do it, but playing around with this version is fun and it does seem to be working, hopefully we will have Kenny Johnson back down for a seminar soon and he can give his take on it lol

Thanks for the reply as always

lkfmdc
05-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Having worked with a lot of high level wrestlers in the past few years, we discovered that while the average HS and even college wrestler will sprawl as first defense (and sprawl a certain way) - the high level (and especially international wrestler) will "hip in" first and sprawl with his "hip in"

It changes the game a lot. Sorry it is hard to explain on a flat forum, but it is like a little thing that makes a world of difference

Frost
05-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Do you mean almost bumping/hitting with the hip, to sort of stop forward momentum before sprawling?

MasterKiller
05-17-2011, 08:11 AM
I like to totally grab someone, then, like, totally pick them up and then put them down. Hard!

Iron_Eagle_76
05-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Having worked with a lot of high level wrestlers in the past few years, we discovered that while the average HS and even college wrestler will sprawl as first defense (and sprawl a certain way) - the high level (and especially international wrestler) will "hip in" first and sprawl with his "hip in"

It changes the game a lot. Sorry it is hard to explain on a flat forum, but it is like a little thing that makes a world of difference

Ross, what are the differences (if any) in how you guys train throws and takedowns for a Sanda match as opposed to an MMA match.

Hardwork108
05-17-2011, 11:32 AM
So why not a thread on throws as well, I have been working several new takedowns at the moment

Another is from taking the back sitting down shooting through a leg between the opponents legs and sweeping them backwards and into a heel hook

Ive also been re-working the knee tap off the under hook as well as my old favourite the lateral drop

So what are others working on at the moment?

This throw/takedown is lethal. Probably more so in the street on cement than in the gym.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWJ5Gca0Nn8&feature=related

Dragonzbane76
05-17-2011, 11:41 AM
I use a veriant of the wizzer a lot. works for me pretty well with added hip placement and extended leg into trip. Momentum usually gets person going and the trip works well.

I have a good bit of wrestling background so it comes from that.

ankle picks and singles are second nature in a lot of situations for me.

YouKnowWho
05-17-2011, 12:40 PM
The "扣(Kao) - knee seize" (single leg) is the 1st move that we train. Since "running your opponent down" and "hit and run" are both important training in the Chinese wrestling, this move can be used to train both. I ususally require my guys to run at least 20 feet after taking their oponent down. This way, in street fight, they can take their opponent down and run like hell.

mjw
05-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Inside trip from over under grips and outside trip from body lock after breaking their structure.....

XiaoPang
05-23-2011, 08:20 PM
The "扣(Kao) - knee seize" (single leg) is the 1st move that we train. Since "running your opponent down" and "hit and run" are both important training in the Chinese wrestling, this move can be used to train both. I ususally require my guys to run at least 20 feet after taking their oponent down. This way, in street fight, they can take their opponent down and run like hell.

I agree and think this is best and safest way.

YouKnowWho
05-25-2011, 10:30 AM
If you drag your opponent down when been thrown and your opponent falls on top of you, how do you prevent your opponent from dropping his elbow on you?

It may be an illegal move in sport but sometime it's not that easy to prove whether your opponent did that on purpose or just an accident. How do you prevent this from happening to you? Any suggestion?

faxiapreta
05-25-2011, 11:33 AM
If you drag your opponent down when been thrown and your opponent falls on top of you, how do you prevent your opponent from dropping his elbow on you?

It may be an illegal move in sport but sometime it's not that easy to prove whether your opponent did that on purpose or just an accident. How do you prevent this from happening to you? Any suggestion?

Don't give the opponent space.

Frost
05-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Don't give the opponent space.

lol true and to be honest if you are dragging someone down with you their is no space so it really becomes a mute point :)

YouKnowWho
05-25-2011, 12:25 PM
lol true and to be honest if you are dragging someone down with you their is no space so it really becomes a mute point :)

I can see plenty of space in this clip. At 1.00, if the guy just pretended that he couldn't hold on his opponent any more and fell down, his left fist could smash right at his opponent's throat. It was very difficult fo any judge to call whether it was an accident or he did that on purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUn8_sCRRI

faxiapreta
05-25-2011, 12:34 PM
I can see plenty of space in this clip. At 1.00, if the guy just pretended that he couldn't hold on his opponent any more and fell down, his left fist could smash right at his opponent's throat. It was very difficult fo any judge to call whether it was an accident or he did that on purpose.

1. It's very easy to tell the difference between a slip and a slam. Most halfway experienced refs will be able to tell.

2. Anyone stupid enough to hold the triangle attempt while being lifted in an actual fight would deserve to get smashed.

Frost
05-25-2011, 12:35 PM
:rolleyes:

could have would have should have yeah yeah yeah:rolleyes:

you keep changing the goaal posts you said if you drag someone down, how your talking about slamming two different things make your mind up would you

YouKnowWho
05-25-2011, 12:39 PM
1. It's very easy to tell the difference between a slip and a slam. Most halfway experienced refs will be able to tell.

If he has his back turned to the ref, it may not be that easy to call.

you keep changing the goaal posts you said if you drag someone down, how your talking about slamming two different things make your mind up would you
This is why I think pull guard and jump guard are too risky.

faxiapreta
05-25-2011, 12:43 PM

Watch the ref move in that clip. Notice how he moves around the mat to always have a good view of both competitors. That's part of being a referee.

Frost
05-25-2011, 11:36 PM

This is why I think pull guard and jump guard are too risky.

to risky in comps...try telling that to marcelo garcia :rolleyes:

bawang
05-26-2011, 05:27 AM
"if"

dsgfsdkjhfsdkjfh

David Jamieson
05-26-2011, 06:51 AM
"if"

dsgfsdkjhfsdkjfh

The meaning of life.

Ray Pina
06-02-2011, 07:31 AM