PDA

View Full Version : Music and training

dwid
10-05-2000, 06:46 PM
Anybody have any ideas about different types of music and training?

I train primarily in Bagua, so much of what I do is necessarily in silence, but when I practice fighting techniques I've found, strangely, that Trance techno seems to really help me maintain technique while I increase speed. It's simple enough (generally little or no lyrics) that it isn't distracting, while supposedly by design oriented toward increasing one's heart rate, etc... This stuff is basically dance music with the twist that the good Trance is layered in complicated ways that, in my opinion, helps me stay in the moment - something not easy to do, as I'm still in the early stages of my training. Anyway, just want to see if anyone has any experiences to share with different kinds of music supplementing their training..

Paul DiMarino
10-05-2000, 06:52 PM
I've done a couple spinning classes to techno-dance type stuff. The classes are intense aerobically and anaerobically, but that music keeps ya going.

wisdom mind
10-05-2000, 07:45 PM
I use techno-genre music for maintaining a flow, like with aerobic type workouts and hardcore gangsta sh.t like M.O.P. for more intense workouts

i happen to produce electronic, hip hop and reggae music BTW:)

dwid
10-05-2000, 08:04 PM
I can see the gangsta stuff being oriented toward more power demanding stuff because of all the bass, but being less useful when fluidity is required. Thanks for the insight.

Mantis_Hand
10-05-2000, 08:15 PM
looks like everyone agrees on the same thing. something i've gravitated towards is New York Style hardcore like Sick of It All and 25 Ta Life. Seek them out, agressive music with a definite rythm behind it to help keep you in rythm during your work out.

Zorak is an evil mantis

dwid
10-05-2000, 08:21 PM
That's interesting. I've been listening to punk/hardcore since high school but hadn't considered it for use in training. You guys are giving me some great ideas. Thanks a lot...

Paul DiMarino
10-05-2000, 08:28 PM
MOP! Oh man. I forgot I even had some of their CD's. I met them once. It was a good experience for a skinny white kid. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mantis_Hand
10-05-2000, 08:32 PM
Dwid,

I could kinda tell by the name... like integrity much?

Zorak is an evil mantis

dwid
10-05-2000, 08:39 PM
Actually I got the nickname a long time ago and it just stuck. Every time I go to Cleveland I meet people who say "I thought you were bigger" or something like that. Actually, the Integrity Dwid is, from what I've heard, not so great a guy. From the violent stories that have come my way, he sounds like he could use some martial arts, not to fight, but to get some kind of balance. Regarding his music, I've never been too keen on Cleveland hardcore, though he did have a pretty funny song called "Misha".

wisdom mind
10-05-2000, 09:48 PM
since there seems to be a niche of "hardcore" headz here Ill add this....

you can use the same mindset that one goes into before entering a mosh pit, not the kind at beasite boy show, but at a hardcore show, where fists and steelcapped docs are flying everywhere in pandamonium....the mindest I suppose could be equated to "no-mind" in the martial arts realm.

in this mental state, the mind is able to move the body with relative ease, generally with astounding results!

the music can be used by your mind as a focal reference point- a place to return to if you become aware of your mind straying.....

i was lifting weights last night at the gym and they were playing 60's rock....did not quite "push" me to work any harder, i need more in your face tunes.....but i go to a gym w/older adults, so i suppose 60's rock IS their hardcore;P

peace

Mantis_Hand
10-05-2000, 10:25 PM
interesting point, wisdom. I train while listening to the slower bands that are more "groove" oriented. these have a definite rythm in mind as the dancing in New York is a lot more stylized and not so free form as you might find at a punk show where kids are just throwing themselves around. There were a number of bands in the early 90s who were really into kickboxing and they would write songs with beats and rythms specifically for the dancers in the pit who would jump in and do some of their routines. So a lot of the newer bands who took inspiration from those older bands perform the same rythm/dance oriented music. With bands like Sick of it All I'm finding that I keep a flowing movement better when performing some of my stances and forms.

<embed src="http://www.geocities.com/lattethunder03862/zorak.swf" quality=high pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="415" height="90">
</embed>

FongSaiYuk
10-05-2000, 10:28 PM
It's nice to see other martial artists who are also punk/hardcore fans. I grew up on the stuff and I can still get into it today. When I'm doing any kind of intense workout nothing gets me pumped up like hardcore does. Old school NY hardcore seems to work the best for me - it really gets my blood flowing. But in terms of any kind training that involves deep concentration and a calm mind I use tradional Chinese music. It's pretty amazing how music can really inspire you to work harder in training. There are many similarities bewteen music and martial arts. As a guitar player I've experienced them firsthand. --FSYF

dwid
10-05-2000, 10:39 PM
I agree with the utility of chinese traditional music. For circle walking and even meditation, the pipa is a very beautiful instrument to listen to. Also, some of those traditional pieces on the pipa would be considered structurally very abstract even by modern standards of Western music.. very cool stuff

Braden
10-05-2000, 11:41 PM
Dwid - Short story long: I do bagua too, and do
it either in silence or good trance, depending
on what I'm doing.

I actually keep my trance collection down where
I train now; it has been an immense benefit.

Tru-MA
10-05-2000, 11:53 PM
I like training with music. For me, it really depends on what type of form I'm practicing, though, for which type of music I would practice to. For example, for a fast paced set like hip-hop, I would usually end up doing it fast. Or for a slow Chinese song I would mix slow and fast movements depending on what technique in the form I'm doing (you can't exactly expect to do a slow tornado kick, can you?) /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
My favorite music to train with is pretty obvious...it's called:
naam yi dong ji keung (Cantonese)
nan er dang zi jiang (Mandarin)

For those of you that need an English translation,
it means "A Man of Determination".

If you still have no idea what the song is, it's the opening theme to ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tien Long
10-06-2000, 12:47 AM
Music is an intergral part of capoeria, usually incorporating drums, tambourines, and the singnature berimbau. My master puts on music from Brazil that incorporate very nice rhytmic beats, as well as recordings of capoerian instruments played in the background. Its a good way to "clear the mind" as he puts it, and gives you something to concentrate on rather then the pain going up your inside when doing a stretch.

"Watch the skies, the DRAGON flies!"

dena
10-06-2000, 04:29 PM
My Sifu loves Michael Jackson...

dwid
10-08-2000, 05:59 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply, I don't have internet access unless I'm at work.

Anyway, it's interesting to hear you do Bagua to Trance. Any CD's you'd recommend?

Braden
10-08-2000, 09:31 PM
Juno Reactor's Bible of Dreams. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dedalus
10-09-2000, 08:12 AM
I once (and only once... so far) ran through the Bagua circle form to the BeeGee's Saturday Night Fever. It gave it a very *interesting* vibe (and a couple of extra shakes and wiggles ;-)

Haven't tried trance, but perhaps I will now...

Iron_Monkey
10-09-2000, 09:55 AM
Cool topic. Props to dwid, man...

I listen to alot of punk and hardcore. I am of the opinion that the harder stuff is for working out. Gets you pumped and sometimes ****ed. Fear Factory is great for the heavy bag.

On the other hand, trance/techno is good stuff for forms. The beat keeps you in the groove. Sometimes its good for taiji. A friend of mine likes doing his taiji to Moby every once in a while to change things up.

I also like the traditional Chinese stuff, too. And I even have a cd of traditional African rhythms with nothing but drums. That is the ONE. I can turn that on, and totally slip into this weird mode where I don't get tired and am oblivious to everything around me. Could be something to do with the effect of certain rhythms on the human brain.

On a side thingy- Some studies have shown hard music like metal and rock to stunt cell growth and brain activity, while things like classical music, music with a more complex mathematical structure have been shown to stimulate growth and brain activity...I am not aware of any cold hard facts on the matter, but its thought provoking, anyway........

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

shimera
10-09-2000, 03:28 PM
i strongly doupt that rock will stunt your brain growth i've listend to it for years. and i'm one of the smartest students in my state. According to the standardized tests and grades etc etc.

however i wouldn't be surprised if people who listen to classical found it more stimulating for their thought process. i don't mind classical i just don't care to spend my money on it.

Gojira
10-09-2000, 05:37 PM
Well these pieces I found stirred up the blood while working out or doing forms.
Give me the prize: Queen, It's a kind of magic
Anvil of Crom: Conan The Barbarian soundtrack
Any track from the Robin Hood soundtrack
Eye of the Tiger : Rocky III soundtrack
Decent into mystery: Batman Score
No Sleep 'Till Brooklyn : Beatie Boys, Licence to Ill
Predator Soundtrack
You could be mine: Guns n Roses,Use your Illution II
Welcome to the Jungle: Guns n Roses
Aliens Soundtrack
Matrix Soundtrack
The soundtrack from Phantom Menace where Obi-wan and Qui-gon fight Darth Maul

I have others but the name of the track slip my mind at this moment.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

If you have nothing to do, don't do it here!

FongSaiYuk
10-09-2000, 05:56 PM
If you really want to bring out the "warrior within" try listening to some John Denver. And for that little extra push you need in your workouts try some Vanilla Ice; it never fails.

Seriously though, one cool thing to try is some very rhythmic Brazilian tribal-type music while sparring or shadowboxing. I think someone in an earlier post mentioned African music. That also sounds like a great idea. --FSY

Mantis_Hand
10-09-2000, 06:21 PM
hey dwid,

I've been running through my exercises to a disc called Hard Desert Trance 2. Awesome compilation on Moonshine records.

<embed src="http://www.geocities.com/lattethunder03862/zorak.swf" quality=high pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="415" height="90">
</embed>

nowhesings
02-01-2001, 06:26 PM
Hi everyone!

Since I started training Capoeira I can't imagine training without music. In Capoeira it's sort of a key thing - without music there's nada energy.

What about you? Do you practise to music? I remember that when doing WT we sometimes had music before the "actual" training (which was great) but then when we got serious the music was turned off... Why? Is it not appropriate in CMA?

Just wondering...

qeySuS
02-01-2001, 07:07 PM
I really love practicing to music, i used to do it while i was in KickBoxing, the teacher loved good rock and basicly all music, so you could bring a CD and play it throughout the practice, really loved listening to some good hardcore like SOAD or Dimmu Borgir.

I do this sometimes if i get some alonetime in a big gym room with a good stereo system. Nothing like doing some forms or kicks to a hardcore screaming voice. I also like soothing Ambient or techno. Hell i really love ALL music, including 60s-70s-80s-90s (gotta love ace of base).

Free thinkers are dangerous.

premier
02-01-2001, 07:08 PM
Don't know really, but I can imagine that music might make it more difficult to concentrate and the instructor might have to raise his voice to be heard.

and... well.. this is pretty far-fetched, but.. there's a steady beat in music and you might start to do your technique in that same rhytm. then you learn to do techniques in a steady rhytm. not a good thing =) hehe.

I think music during the warm-up and stretching is nice.

Waidan
02-01-2001, 09:08 PM
We don't have any music in class, but I listen to everything from trance to metal when working out on my own.

Bagua to Soulfly? You'd be suprised ;)

Insynergy
02-02-2001, 01:06 PM
As much as a love training to music, i only turn it on in a light session. serious training I like to focus on breaking rhythm, and techniques at different speeds and rhythm. I find i start to adapt to the beat whether i like it or not though :)

Goktimus Prime
02-02-2001, 03:47 PM
Here's some reasons why I don't train to music.

1. It's distracting. When I train, I try to remain focussed.

2. When listening to music, you tend to move along with the beat. This is fine in dancing, but not so in fighting. While fighting certainly DOES have a beat and rhythm to it, the tempo should move according to match the situation, not to match a soundtrack. For example, you may do a "punch - block - punchpunch" rhythm, in other words, you've thrown a punch, blocked a hit which also opened the opponent, and dug into that opening with a two more punches, but in quicker succession. In musical terms, if the first punch and block were full notes, the last two punches were both semi-notes. It's what boxers call the "old one-two" follow up. The timing of the fight is dependent on how fast you're moving and how fast your opponent is moving. Not on how fast the music is moving.

Music is fun, but not practical for combat training.

"Wit is educated insolence." - Aristotle (284-322 BC)

BeiKongHui
02-02-2001, 06:11 PM
We listen to music while doing circuit training or aerobic work but not during any instructional time. Good fast music really gets the blood flowing.

"Gong Sao Mo Gong Ching Sao"
- When you talk with the hands,
best not to speak of polite hands.

02-03-2001, 01:20 PM
Goktimus Primal,

What if you train to music that has a different timing. For example:

Salsa is 4 beat.
Marangue 3 beats
Cha Cha 1-2 cha cha cha
Ceroc 4 beats
Rock & Roll 6 beats

But personally, I think training to music is stupid. It's too distracting. In any case, I have my victory dance after a fight not during a fight.

Ego Maximize!

joedoe
02-08-2001, 01:20 AM
I find music is OK to train to if you are just doing repetitions like kicks, or conditioning exercises.

I definitely don't use music when practicing forms though because I like to focus on the form completely.

If you pick the right music, it can sometimes be very inspirational though. I like the theme to Once Upon A Time in China 8^).

Fritz
02-11-2001, 04:49 AM
Hey, people drum and bass is great to train to. If someone wants a tape I will send them one. Although I live in Sydney, Australia.

Cheers
Fritz

WongFeHung
02-12-2001, 04:25 AM
Our school, although very traditional in its curriculum and methods, might seem untraditional in some of our training. We play music-Steve Vai, Satriani,Chemical Bros, Rage against the machine, Peking Bros, traditional music, my younger jr instructors bring in KMFDM, and Korn,the class ROCKS! We are very high energy, we clap, cheer each other on, smile a heckuva lot, and sweat, sweat, sweat! As long as you walk out of my class wanting more!

Kung Lek
02-12-2001, 05:32 AM
In our school we train with music.

A lot of us like the Latin Music especially Si Mo :).
It lifts the spirit and isn't detrimental to the training.

Standing Post exercise is done in silence though as it helps us to focus inward with little distraction.
But meditation at the end of class is done with soft flute music playing which helps ease the mind and in some cases provides a really pleasant point of focus.

At home when I train I usually do it in silence though, but that's because i don't have a source of music in my training room. ;)

peace

Kung Lek

the running guy
02-27-2001, 05:25 AM
Good to see another capoeirista on this forum! What style, Angola or Regional? Not that it really matters that much. If the instigator of this topic sees this, could you tell me some of the calls and chants your school uses!

Celestial Amiboshi
03-22-2001, 11:33 PM
I also enjoy practicing to music, but there is one thing I need to warn against. Do not try practicing to a metronome. I did this for about a week. I figured this would add structure and order to whatever I was doing, and it did, but at the cost of my flow. When I began to have trouble practicing without the metronome I stopped using it.

"Love is something which is never meant to last. It is but a flower that blooms and then withers away."

Xebsball
03-23-2001, 06:20 AM
Something cool happened today.
My sifu put on the ouatic soundtrack for us
while we were training.
:)

Mr. Nemo
03-23-2001, 10:36 PM
If you want to avoid getting caught in the tempo of the music, you can choose music that has a strong rhythm but no clear meter, like anything with Elvin Jones or Tony Williams on drums.

I'm rediscovering my whole CD collection in terms of practicing. Yesterday I practiced to "A Love Supreme." I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

katrina_stearns
03-24-2001, 09:22 AM
Personally, the right type of music should be from the 70s when Bruce Lee became popular.

Anything by the Villiage People - like Macho Man is good. You can also do cha cha which was developed into JKD by Bruce Lee.

Submit to me. I know you want to.

Abstract
04-02-2001, 03:44 PM
YEA MAN! A Love Supreme! When I practice at home I throw on that CD! It's perfect..1/2 hour long, and just enough time to go through my form.. afterwords a bit of Qi Gong, stretch a bit & i'm straight..in class, however(to answer the post..) we have nada musica..it's better off for me, when I'm in class I'm really trying to concentrate..then once I get it down & I'm home, the music helps me focus cause it blocks out my stupid neighbors(live in an apt complex..)

Coltrane is the Shizsnapkibiddle!! ;)

[This message was edited by Abstract on 04-03-01 at 06:51 AM.]

[This message was edited by Abstract on 04-03-01 at 06:53 AM.]

mickey
10-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Greetings,

This is what I use when I work out. It's slammin':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu5n5hHC-L0

mickey

SevenStar
10-24-2007, 08:16 AM
More importantly than music is the anime that they put the music to - knockin on heaven's door. I LOVE cowboy bebop. it is by far one of my favorites. Great animation, great story lines, great music... I have most of the soundtrack CDs - 3 of them are on my desk right now.

Back to the topic, I generally listen to rock, alternative or hard rap. Sometimes there will be other things thrown in - for example, I really like crystal method.

SevenStar
10-24-2007, 09:24 AM
okay, now that you have gotten me on a cowboy bebop I am gonna hijack this thread - we have other music threads anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18qm_D8OZWk

ballad of fallen angels is one of my favorite episodes. The sequence from 3:14 to 3:23 is one of my favorite in the series.

here is the whole sequence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE_pNX0mUQA

SevenStar
10-24-2007, 10:29 AM
this one ain't bad... even though it's to a bryan adams song, the song fits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnPMip_GDlA

And another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQNuZp7tR7M

SevenStar
10-24-2007, 10:56 AM
here is the entire ending sequence from the series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s6jJ3_a9yo

SevenStar
10-24-2007, 11:01 AM
spike vs. vash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPjtiSyio70

mickey
10-26-2007, 11:52 AM
My gosh,

You went from being a moderator to a thread hijacker. I guess fatherhood can do that to you. :)

I found this hijacking to be a pleaseant one. Thank you for the share.

mickey

BlueTravesty
10-26-2007, 05:37 PM
good stuff. I love the Vash vs. Spike one!

I like to train to Shocking Lemon's Inner Light (which was also the second season opening to Hajime No Ippo) for which there are a few decent anime music videos.

I present, exhibit A http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRKLuSqA4jQ

SevenStar
10-30-2007, 11:52 AM
yeah, I love that song. Here's an ippo vid done to "eye of the tiger":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbqa53_t3qM

Mr Punch
10-31-2007, 10:10 PM
This has to be the shadiest thread-jacking I've ever seen! Talk about non-sequiturs. Or jelly.

However, since it's well and truely done let me just complain about you linking to a sodding Spanish version of Cowboy Bebop! The Japanese is much better!

bawang
11-05-2007, 06:04 PM
this is a good song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD3QUGUZFQU

Lucas
11-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Nice song Mickey.

Thats going on the ol MP3 player for sure. Great running/biking tunes.

Depending on what im doing, I am really into techno, but generally only when I train, not sure why that is.

Im also into heavy metal, classical, hip hop. Kinda depends on what I am doing.

Also DITO on the Cowboy Bebop. Im still sad about how that whole deal finished out :o

Lucas
11-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Actually, now i realize i cannot put that video on my mp3 player.

anyone know how i can extract the music from that cowboy bebop vid?

Drake
11-06-2007, 01:25 AM
I train to...

KUP CHOI!
JONG!
JONG!
YEONG TSOP!

Music would really mess me up...

golden arhat
11-06-2007, 03:47 AM
michael jackson

said u wanna be startin sumthin
u gotta be startin sumthin

that and other 80's rnb stuff
typical of gta vice city soundtack

also iron maiden
the rocky soundtrack 1 to 4
kate bush
immortal technique
wu tang clan
bring me the horizon
james brown

Lucas
11-06-2007, 10:29 AM
OK, so i figured out who the band was, dont ask im a youtube noob.

i guess ill go actually buy the album

golden arhat
11-06-2007, 01:05 PM
OK, so i figured out who the band was, dont ask im a youtube noob.

i guess ill go actually buy the album

just find their myspace

and stick the url in the thing on here www.file2hd.com

u can thank me later

Lucas
11-06-2007, 01:13 PM
just find their myspace

and stick the url in the thing on here www.file2hd.com

u can thank me later

sweet bro. ill check that out when i get home.

THANKS!

golden arhat
11-07-2007, 08:16 AM
sweet bro. ill check that out when i get home.

THANKS!

haha cool innit :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-08-2007, 11:30 PM
you cant go wrong with death metal. ever.

death: http://youtube.com/watch?v=euHMldrw4fw

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-08-2007, 11:41 PM
jesus **** ... if nothing else sends me to hell it will be my love for deicide:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RnCYmrMtk5c
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_llXgKpHdd4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pwfL5FtepSs

bodhitree
11-09-2007, 10:49 AM
I like metal to train, and hard techno/house/d n b

but I usually train in silence, due to no modern technology such as cassetfiche player or radiola

tattooedmonk
11-27-2007, 09:58 PM
I train with metal and hardcore for external and meditation music and classical for internal. Other times I switch it up and do the metal thing when practicing internal and meditation music and classical doing external. depends

Snake77
11-27-2007, 11:15 PM
When I strength train I gotta listen to something HEAAVYY!!! Pantera -Vulgar display of power still gets a lot of play time. Its gotta be aggressive!

But, when I train kung fu I like mellow stuff like The Doors and Pink Floyd. I like to do Tai Chi listening to Jim Morrisons - American Poet cd. Its awesome!

Snake77
11-27-2007, 11:17 PM
jesus **** ... if nothing else sends me to hell it will be my love for deicide:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RnCYmrMtk5c
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_llXgKpHdd4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pwfL5FtepSs

NICE!!! BRUTAL!!

GeneChing
01-09-2019, 09:20 AM
The Most Popular Workout Songs In 2018 Were Total Bops, According To Spotify — EXCLUSIVE (https://www.bustle.com/p/the-most-popular-workout-songs-in-2018-were-total-bops-according-to-spotify-exclusive-15574716)
ByMIKA DOYLE
9 days ago

https://imgix.bustle.com/uploads/image/2018/12/28/3c8d712e-8e73-46cf-8f53-da6a6030d954-fotoliza_shutterstock.jpg?w=970&h=546&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70
fotoliza/Shutterstock

Getting pumped during your latest workout is no longer in the “eye of the tiger” — at least not for millennials. Spotify just released the top workout songs users listened to in 2018, and some of the tunes that made the list might just surprise you. According to Spotify, there are 43.5 million workout-themed playlists on the music-streaming platform. Spotify was able to take all those playlists and figure out what song is the top motivator for listeners, what fitness trend is on the rise, and more. Did any of your workout tunes make the list?

Taking the top spot as the most popular workout song globally in 2018 is Drake’s "God’s Plan," according to Spotify. Cardi B’s "I Like It" takes the number two spot, and then listeners take it up to 11 with Eminem’s " Till I Collapse" at number three. Listeners bring the intensity down with Drake’s "Nice For What" at number four and round the list out with Dua Lipa’s dance anthem "One Kiss" at number five.

But the list changes when Spotify breaks it down not just by year but by the top workout songs globally of all time. "Till I Collapse" goes from number three to take the top spot, and the artist gets another spot on the list; "Lose Yourself" from 2002's 8 Mile soundtrack takes number two. Kanye West takes number three and four with "Stronger" and" POWER," two classic workout jams, while Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Ray Dalton take number five with "Can’t Hold Us."

https://imgix.bustle.com/uploads/image/2018/12/28/b8beaf2a-676c-4338-b2a9-b4c074aa0165-ramon-espelt-photography_shutterstock.jpg?w=646&fit=max&auto=format&q=70
Ramon Espelt Photography_Shutterstock

According to Spotify, this is the third year in a row Eminem’s "Till I Collapse" was the top global song people picked to help them crush their workouts. (Side note: If you're working out till you collapse, you should probably dial back the intensity a bit.) But just because "Till I Collapse" was the global pick doesn’t mean it gets everyone pumped up. Spotify says Eminem’s intense lyrics were actually the top playlist pick for men, while Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars’ "Uptown Funk" was the top workout motivator for women.

But there are some throwbacks that are making a resurgence because their themes connect to the latest fitness trends, according to Spotify. Cryotherapy and ice baths grew the most in popularity in 2018, says Spotify. (Cryotherapy involves sitting in freezing or near-freezing temperatures for a few minutes to treat a variety of ailments, such as pain relief, healing muscle damage, or reducing inflammation, according to Medical News Today.)

https://imgix.bustle.com/uploads/image/2018/12/28/d2467c68-2241-4ed6-9b2b-9a52960f663f-demkat_shutterstock.jpg?w=646&fit=max&auto=format&q=70
Demkat/Shutterstock

The top songs in cryotherapy and ice bath-themed playlists? You guessed it: Vanilla Ice’s "Ice Ice Baby" took number one, followed by Foreigner’s "Cold As Ice." A sorta-surprising pick on this list? "Let It Go" from Disney’s Frozen. Maybe this one helps you let go of the discomfort of sitting in an ice bath?

No matter how you choose to get motivated to get moving, Spotify’s got a lot to choose from. You can either build your own playlist or just hit play on something someone else put together. Either way, you can move to the beat of whatever you want when you're working up that sweat.

Wow. What a crappy playlist. :o