PDA

View Full Version : ancient stuffs

Hendrik
05-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Chan teaching of china pay extremely attention to authenticity. However, the practice of Chan is extremely lively.

The following is a Zen poem of a Zen student who has attained enligtenement trying to hint his sifu to stop get stuck in the old antic ancient "authentic" stuffs which trap the sifu.

The poem is pretending talking to a fly while his sifu is digging and studying the old ancient writting.

空门不肯出, There is open door and you are not willing to get out and free yourself from it.
投窗也太痴。 keep smashing your self to the window paper thinking you could get out from
there is just not smart
百年鑽故纸,for hundred of years you keep drilling at that window paper
何日出头时? When will you be free?

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/1acdQlixQ1g/

So, What authentic? what is ancient? what is the reality?

Same in Chan or Zen, same in TCMA.

Some one told me they have a set and writing passed down from ancestor to sijo, to sigung, to sifu.....etc. it is pure and unchange....etc. When I was young 20 or 30 years ago those are attractive to me too. But, after live with those stuffs daily for almost 40 years;
Well, those set and writing are just like window paper in the above story, it is just a tool, the function is to lead one to see the light. it is also similar to the finger which pointing to the moon. Those are not the it. those are just tools. The " it " is to get out and be free and dump those tools. in WCK that means can one attain the dynamic structure, short jin....etc
unless one wants to be an antic collector, then one can keep those.

In WCK there is the set called Biu Jee ; it means move toward the destination with your whole body structure dynamics.

Nope, Biu Jee doesnt means dart finger but teaches one uses the body structure and dynamic as a whole to set one free. that is what wck bj set is about --- set one free instead of being an antic collector.

more then 150 years has passed since the red boat era ; how many hundred years more one like to hold on to and drilling that window paper and get stuck? or do one wanting to be free tonight?
or those ancient stuffs has become one's security blanket giving one false security in the name of authenticity and ancient? or those ancient stuffs has become one's pride and identity and position in the family tree but totally forget about set one free is the goal in the begining?

蝇爱寻光纸上鑽,不能透处几多难,忽然撞着来时路,始觉平生被眼瞒。

Flies loves to search for light and keep drilling the window paper
it is so difficult facing the obstrucles
suddently one runs into the path one originally from
there, one realizes one whole life is binded by one's own eyes.

When all those ancient stuffs has become a window paper, that is the time to drop it or one will get stuck. Should one expect an mmA match to be govern by a 150 year out of date old rule? it seems that the people today is not that smart compare with those who was in 150 years ago who creating and evolving and using WCK for their survival.

So, what is your view? care to share?

YouKnowWho
05-17-2011, 08:05 PM
There is open door and you are not willing to get out and free yourself from it.

We have just seen someone here who have trained a lot of different styles. But in all the styles that he trained, he just stayed on the beginner level. It's like to go through 10 different elementary schools, refuse to gradulate and move on. It's very easy to grow fat but not that easy to grow tall.

FongSung
05-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Dear Hendrik,

You are very entertaining I must admit, and an intelligent writer to boot.

Has your agenda changed I wonder. It was for so long that you were extolling and promoting the exact same writings and set. A set you are / were so protective over. The set(s) must be preserved, as not so long ago, you advised & urged me to do so.

The forms & kuit are indeed tools and aids in training to fight. Nothing new there in fact there is nothing that I am sure most on this forum already knew.

As to liveliness & evolution I think this is known to everyone (and I think your tone is a tad condescending). These are expressed in the use of the art i.e. fighting. The idea I have been taught is to finish the fight as fast as possible using ALL the tools at ones disposal be it wing chun, clf or others - meaning let go of everything and let your fighting be natural. This has been the case from day 1 (150 years ago) and is still the case now.

The main purpose for all the players I have ever met learning or teaching the Cho Ga system is to fight. To fight of course one must also be in good condition, healthy & strong which is of course part of the system as you have continually explained to others but not the main aim.

The hardest thing to teach is "fearlessness" with out this all one's training and kung fu is nothing.

And with that I will retire with my hands up, all the best to you.

Hendrik
05-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Dear Hendrik,

You are very entertaining I must admit, and an intelligent writer to boot.

Has your agenda changed I wonder. It was for so long that you were extolling and promoting the exact same writings and set. A set you are / were so protective over. The set(s) must be preserved, as not so long ago, you advised & urged me to do so.

The forms & kuit are indeed tools and aids in training to fight. Nothing new there in fact there is nothing that I am sure most on this forum already knew.

As to liveliness & evolution I think this is known to everyone (and I think your tone is a tad condescending). These are expressed in the use of the art i.e. fighting. The idea I have been taught is to finish the fight as fast as possible using ALL the tools at ones disposal be it wing chun, clf or others - meaning let go of everything and let your fighting be natural. This has been the case from day 1 (150 years ago) and is still the case now.

The main purpose for all the players I have ever met learning or teaching the Cho Ga system is to fight. To fight of course one must also be in good condition, healthy & strong which is of course part of the system as you have continually explained to others but not the main aim.

The hardest thing to teach is "fearlessness" with out this all one's training and kung fu is nothing.

And with that I will retire with my hands up, all the best to you.

1, I have not change my agenda, it is simply a fact that one needs to know one's own tool and become an expert of it. but then that is not enough, one needs to be the master of it and only then one is free.

2, If one doesnt have the core teaching of a system when one is a beginner one will have no direction. However, after one grow, one needs to be able to grow out of the core. so different stage different things.

3, To fight is an action, a solid basic on tools and how to use different tools and how to master the tools and even make one's own tool is a must before everything become a nature without need to think.

4, if one could slow down one's thoughts frequency to no thought, then what is fear?

5, as for the kuit, unless one has attain the kungfu, one doesnt really know.

YouKnowWho
05-18-2011, 01:27 PM
3, To fight is an action, a solid basic on tools and how to use different tools and how to master the tools and even make one's own tool is a must before everything become a nature without need to think.
When I was a kid, I jumped into river to learn how to "float". I learned how to "swim" much late. I didn't wait for me to have a "solid basic" before I got into the water.

How solid do you want your base to be? Do you want to stay in elementary school until you make "A" on all your classes before you can gradulate? Or do you just make some "A", some "B", and some "C" to gradulate, go to your high school, and move on?

You will have the rest of your life time to go back to your elementary school and make a perfect 4.0 gradulate student if you want to. But your window to develop your combat skill is very small. After you have reached to your 40, there is very little chance that you will be willing to step into the ring for the first time. If you wait too long, that window will close on you forever.

I have one student who has been with me for 7 years by now. I have not taught him any form yet (I know more than 50 forms). I told him that oneday when he no longer compete in tournaments, I will teach him any form that he wants to learn. Until then, I want him to "develop" and "test" his skill while he is still young. He will have the rest of his life to develop his "solid basic" (how solid is solid?). There is no rush for that.

Northwind
05-19-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm just curious how many stuffs are in stuffs