PDA

View Full Version : Wudang KungFu Academy China

Mochuisle
05-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi,

I am 49 years old, slim but not particularly fit and planning to go to Wudang KungFu Academy in China next year for 12 to 18 months to learn KungFu...

They train about 6 hours per day five days per week.

My worry is about getting injured and being out of action for weeks at a time.

Are injuries common in KungFu?

Is it too late in life for me to be doing this?

M

David Jamieson
05-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Hi,

I am 49 years old, slim but not particularly fit and planning to go to Wudang KungFu Academy in China next year for 12 to 18 months to learn KungFu...

M

Well, you don't really need to go to China to learn Kung Fu. But to each their own.
If you are going from a sedate lifestyle into this, training 6 hours a day, 5 days a week is out of the question. You will not be able to do that without ramping up to it.

So start working out now and getting fit now and get yourself ready for that.

Also, consider the differences in how you live (i assume you are a westerner) and the fact that food, water, shelter and medicine will be completely different in China.

Injuries are common in all martial arts. You can expect them to occur.
Also, don't expect to be treated in any special way. Many will look at you with dollars in their eyes. that's just how it is with Martial arts tourists.

No one is ever to old to start making positive changes in their life or lifestyle.
Be wise about it though and don't try to go beyond your capacity or ability in this endeavour.

Best.

GeneChing
05-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Just be sure to pack ibuprofen (or something stronger if you can get it) as well as athletic tape, ace bandages and neoprene joint supports. That stuff can be hard to get sometimes.

JamesC
05-18-2011, 10:37 AM
I would just like to point out that if you can find much better kung fu instruction in the U.S. these days than before.

There are a TON of Shaolin monks on the West Coast, East Coast, and most of the major cities in the U.S.

Not to mention that Dr. Yang has his Retreat Center in northern California and the internal stuff that he teaches there is gonna be pretty close to the Wudang stuff you'll learn in China. You'll also get the same "live-in" experience, I would think.

Just some things to think about.

wenshu
05-18-2011, 10:48 AM
I do not envy you the trouble you will have negotiating a squat toilet with extreme DOMS.

First 2-3 weeks are going to be absolute hell.

Thankfully the DOMS will dissipate after the first hour or so of training each day. But the nights and mornings. . .oh man. . .

GeneChing
05-18-2011, 10:50 AM
When you go to the other side of the world to train, it's an amazing experience. You force yourself to commit to it. Here in America, if I'm not feeling well, I can play hooky and go to a movie or something. Not that I ever do that. I'm just sayin...

Dr. Yang's retreat center is not open to the public. You can attend occasional week-long workshops during the summer, but only his disciples are permitted to live and train there all of the time.

Mochuisle
05-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks all,

great to listen to such generous feedback! but yes, it's the live in experience I am seeking too...

And...the cost all in for one year is $10K...

Hope my body can stand up to the training and the impacts....that's my fear..

M

JamesC
05-18-2011, 11:02 AM
When you go to the other side of the world to train, it's an amazing experience. You force yourself to commit to it. Here in America, if I'm not feeling well, I can play hooky and go to a movie or something. Not that I ever do that. I'm just sayin...

Dr. Yang's retreat center is not open to the public. You can attend occasional week-long workshops during the summer, but only his disciples are permitted to live and train there all of the time.

Did not know that. For some reason I was thinking you could stay longer.

I feel ya on the whole experience thing. I would love to do it myself. If you have to means and time to do it you had better jump on that chance.

Mochuisle
05-18-2011, 11:09 AM
My understanding is that if the Academy is happy to keep you on as a student and you have money, they will arrange for regular Visa extensions...

Not sure how long I'll last but expect to stay as long as I plan...so my next question would be...

If I were training 6 hours per day, five days per week, injury free, what belt could I hope get close to??? just curious..

M

Hebrew Hammer
05-18-2011, 11:12 AM
I would recommend you get in a horse stance, holding a bo at arms length horizontally at eye level from now until you leave...

Its much harder than it looks...good luck Amigo!

David Jamieson
05-18-2011, 11:13 AM
My understanding is that if the Academy is happy to keep you on as a student and you have money, they will arrange for regular Visa extensions...

Not sure how long I'll last but expect to stay as long as I plan...so my next question would be...

If I were training 6 hours per day, five days per week, injury free, what belt could I hope get close to??? just curious..

M

Not sure they will have belts. In Kung Fu, the focus is self development and not really the attainment of congratulatory markers. :)

You may find yourself in a filial system with no belts at all. Just teacher, student relationship which quite frankly is the best way to go.

wenshu
05-18-2011, 11:13 AM
I am filled with bitter envy at all you blokes who get to larp it up in China like an expatriated Bruce Wayne.

Stupid responsibilities.

Mochuisle
05-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Actually,

I have a very decent job, quite a few responsibilities and am in the rat race just like everyone else....but have made a decision to get out of it...so save save save...just need to stay focussed and start getting fit...

I accept that Belts should not come into it, I am totally in this for self development, why do you think I've chosen China...was just curious...

M

wenshu
05-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Haha, Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply you don't have any responsibilities, just bemoaning my lack of will to get off my arse and do the Bruce Wayne thing.

Ben Gash
05-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Are you talking about Yuan Shifu's school?
http://www.wudanggongfu.com/
In which case I heartily recommend it. I trained there for a month and in that time I pulled my hip flexor and sprained my neck. Neither stopped me training, just impared my kicking somewhat. There's cheap physical therapy available in the town, and some of the students do massage as well.
There are no belt rankings, it's really not that kind of mentality. If you scroll halfway down here http://www.wudanggongfu.com/kungfu/2009.htm it'll give you an idea of what they think you can learn in a year. You don't have to stick to that curriculum though, indeed at your age a couple of those first year forms might require a bit too much athleticism.

RenDaHai
05-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Hello There,

I have trained full time in China for a long time.

I had a friend who was 10 years older than you and trained for 6 months with no problem.

Even if you train every day in the west its not the same as having kung fu occupy your every waking moment with no distractions. Its a great idea to change your life and perceptions.

It doesn't matter your age but there are a few things you want to make sure of before you go. They are used to teaching kids and so they push people to stretch way too hard and do a lot of explosive jumping techniques in extreme positions. You can't train this way. There is no limit to what you can achieve but you need to go about it in a slower way. SO its best to make sure with the school beforehand that they know what to do with someone of your age and how to train you properly.

Even if you get injured (which you will) there is always something to train. If the legs don't work you train the hands and vice versa. And there is always meditation and qigong if you get totally ******

SOme things to bear in mind is also you don't want to be stuck there in the winter. It gets cold in Wudang and Chinese buildings don't have insulation so its as cold in doors as out. You can't train well when its this cold and its not a comfortable lifestyle. So best to organise spending the coldest months in the south of china studying kung fu there and return to wudang in the spring.

There are no belts, but you will learn a great deal. I'm sure they will give you a certificate at the end if you ask for one.

If you train there a long time in the same school the Visa should be no problem.

In the end, Kung Fu is not about becoming a fighter, it is a journey of self exploration. You can't do this easily when you have the pressures of a normal life in the west no matter how hard you train. But grueling training in isolation halfway up a misty mountain seems to do the trick. Everyone who spends a long time like this comes back changed in a big way.

Good luck!

bawang
05-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks all,

great to listen to such generous feedback! but yes, it's the live in experience I am seeking too...

And...the cost all in for one year is $10K...

Hope my body can stand up to the training and the impacts....that's my fear..

M
hello mochuisle.

the true kung fu live in experience is living in poverty and bitter training. with 10 thousand dollars i garentee you are gonna be getting the rich foreigner treatment. youre gonna be living in a bubble away from the real kung fu.

B.Tunks
05-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Hi,

M

Hi.

In my opinion, yes you are are too old and you will also be wasting your money. Yes injuries are common. If you train hard enough you will definitely get injured. Why don'yt you try training in your home country first for 12 months and find out if it's right for you?

Also, Bawang is right. You will be getting the fantasy but nothing else. I think if you are prepared to pay that money to do this with pretty much no idea about what it is you're getting yourself in for, then you deserve exactly that.

BT

Lee Chiang Po
05-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi.

In my opinion, yes you are are too old and you will also be wasting your money. Yes injuries are common. If you train hard enough you will definitely get injured. Why don'yt you try training in your home country first for 12 months and find out if it's right for you?

Also, Bawang is right. You will be getting the fantasy but nothing else. I think if you are prepared to pay that money to do this with pretty much no idea about what it is you're getting yourself in for, then you deserve exactly that.

BT

I was wondering when someone was going to jump in and smear some common sense on this subject. I think you might have watched the new Karate Kid too many times. You are going to have to deal with language, food, drink, people, and probably have the squirts for the first 3 months of more. Probably come home hating and leave the 10 grand with the academy.
You are 50 years old, stiff joints, weak bones, probably in the worst shape you have ever been in over your entire life, and now you have to get into shape like a 15 year old to do all that jumping and dancing around, and you are probably going to be doing hard $hit right off the bat. And if you start now, you probably won't have the will power to work it hard so will not likely get into shape before hand. And you are going to pay 10,000 bucks for all that.
Be smart, and stay home. You know the language, the food, the water, and the culture locally. You can drop out any time you want, and start back any time you want, and you won't be giving up 10 grand all at once.
Whatever you decide to do, good luck and I wish you the best.

-N-
05-18-2011, 06:59 PM
What the last 3 posters said.

I'm 50, and have been working out while recovering from a knee injury and an ankle injury for the past 7 months.

At least I'm doing it at home and didn't have to pay $10k for the priviledge.

David Jamieson
05-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Inside every cynic is a very disappointed idealist. ~Carlin

Take that for what you will. It is your time, your money and your prerogative, but there is a pinch of wisdom in everyone's posts here I think. :)

RenDaHai
05-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Don't listen to the above.

As I said I knew someone older who did the same.

Bawang, its not going to be a bubble. Go there for one year yourself if you don't believe.

Tunks, leaving home is the point. He wants to leave the rat race. The Kung Fu is secondary to the adventure. Training at home is a different thing no matter how good the training is.

Lee, NOT knowing the language, food, water, culture is as important a part of the experience. Its about letting go of everything familiar.

Mochuisle, 10k is a little steep. Just make sure they are aware of your age and know how to train you. Tell them your afraid of injuries if you train like the kids do.

Also NEVER pay the 10k up front. Tell them you want to try a month first and pay month by month. If they don't like that then choose another school as they have already revealed themselves to be cheats. There are plenty of schools. I can even suggest some. (if you pay month by month they have to earn it and take good care of you. If you have already payed they don't care any more and neglect your practice). There are some schools in Wudang which have too many people and not enough individual attention. At your age you wont want just flashy moves you'll want a bit of theory too and you'll need an older master.

bawang
05-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Bawang, its not going to be a bubble. Go there for one year yourself if you don't believe.

you dont think its a bubble because they KISS YOUR ASS.

YouKnowWho
05-18-2011, 07:44 PM
For 6 hours per day, 5 days per week, and you are 49 years old, I think you are too old for that. I had done 6 hours per day and 6 days per week, but I was only 14 years old.

bawang
05-18-2011, 08:51 PM
foreigners dont want to be beaten and yelled at. how can u have an "authentic experience" then

omarthefish
05-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Just be sure to pack ibuprofen (or something stronger if you can get it) as well as athletic tape, ace bandages and neoprene joint supports. That stuff can be hard to get sometimes.

Ibuprofen is readily available are pretty much any street corner Chinese drugstore. Atheltic tape or Ace bandages are harder to find though. The neoprene joint supports are sold all over the place but without speaking Chinese they could be hard to ask for.

The one med I would take with me is some sort of anti-diarheal. Again, those are widely available and for a tiny fraction of the cost in America but language becomes a barrier again. It took be a couple years to figure out which brand worked well and how to ask for it by name. There's a lot of TCM anti-diarhea medicine that works like garbage compared to good old fasioned western meds.

Actually, all of this stuff is just a language issue. Once you know how to ask for it and what kind of store sells what, it's all pretty common stuff. . . except for athletic tape for some odd reason.

Mochuisle
05-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the feedback here...regarding the $10K, that would be over eighteen months. To be able to live abroad in such a place for so long is for nothing. Travel the world with 10K in your pocket and it won't go far...

and no, my reason is not from watching Karate Kid:)

I am planning to go July next year for the reasons mentioned by RenDaHai, it's my way of getting out of the Rat Race.

Of course I realise I need to train slowly and it will be harder so will discuss this with the school

BTW, I went to live in Italy when I was younger, I spoke no Italian, had no friends etc...but I learned the language by studying hard...so the culture change is not what worries me, it excites me...

It's really about the Training. Yes I could learn KungFU at home the same way I could learn Chinese at home but I want to go out there...

The advice has been great!

M

Scott R. Brown
05-19-2011, 02:47 AM
Be sure to keep us all posted on your experience! I am sure most of us would be interested in how it goes for you!:)

Eric Hunstad
05-19-2011, 05:04 AM
Mochuisle

Love and passion often defy logic and common sense. Many of my most powerful life experiences (such as surfing big waves by only the light of the moon, rescueing two pit bulls that were used in dog fighting, and even the first time I got laid!) all occurred under circumstances which defy logic and common sense. Would I do it again? Hell yeah!

I say go for it, more power to ya! Will you get injured? Who cares! When you are old and on your deathbed, memories of life experiences such as this will put a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your lips.

Eric Hunstad
www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com

Brule
05-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Have a read on the e-zine articles here about the gentleman who did the same thing and what he went through. Just watch out you're not scammed and end up ruining your whole experience. Not to say that's what happened, but he hard a hard time when he started.

Drake
05-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Bawang is absolutely correct here. At 49, unless you have a background of being physically fit, you may end up leaving this "fantasy camp" in a stretcher or wheelchair.

There are better ways of getting out of the rat race than getting scammed and tricked in China. To paraphrase a special forces instructor talking to a washout.... "there's a window of time for stuff like this". He is absolutely right. At 49, with no physical fitness background, you missed the boat for this.

Don't get yourself injured and cheated because the rat race is bringing you down.

Edit: Oh, and I studied TEH REALZ before. I usually left with cuts, bruises, and sometimes limping out the door. Training was free, and it was here in the United States.

Drake
05-19-2011, 07:58 AM

M

For $10,000, you'll leave whatever "belt" you want to be.

SPJ
05-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Hi,

M

everything is learned in progressive stages.

start with basic postures/stances

then moving steps between postures

some bag/mitten work

if you feel something hard, take back half a step/halfway, or break it up into several steps/stages

take all the time you need.

advance a bit a time

--

:)

SPJ
05-19-2011, 08:18 AM
culture experiences would be great

learning any kung fu is dependent on you.

as pointed out.

GeneChing
05-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Also NEVER pay the 10k up front. Best advice so far.

Ibuprofen is readily available are pretty much any street corner Chinese drugstore. That's great. I wasn't so available when I was there. I could get snake wine easily, but not ibuprofen. Things have changed a lot over the last half decade, I'm sure.

We've published many articles on our e-zine about studying in China. We nickname them 'warrior journeys'. Also, a goodly portion of my book, Shaolin Trips (http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Trips-Gene-Ching/dp/1424308976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276188031&sr=1-1), is about my own adventures studying kung fu in China. I'm listing some of our other archived warrior's journeys, for your reference.

A Shaolin Summer (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=896) by Leila Dehghan

The Monk From Brooklyn (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=411) by Antonio Graceffo

Where I Am, and What I Am Doing: A Shaolin Diary (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=417) by John Greenhow

Return to the Origin: Happily Lost in China (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=225) by Edward Huls

My Time in China (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=798) by Stephan Kaliss

Kung Fu Training in China: Pursuit of a Dream (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=957)by Clemente Liberto

A Wing Chun Odyssey: Hong Kong, China and Beyond (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=394)by Benny Meng and the Ving Tsun Museum Group

Chinese New Year in China (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=746) by David Wei

I may have missed a few. :cool:

Ben Gash
05-19-2011, 10:37 AM
LOL at everyone's prejudices. Like I say, if it's the school I went to (and AFAIK they're the only one's that promote to foreign students- they're the only one's with english speaking coaches). Then it's not a scam, the training's decent and he'll probably be OK. $9.5K gets you decent accomodation with western style toilet and air-con, all meals plus training for a year, so hardly a terrible deal, and the experience is spectacular (and certainly can't be replicated in the US).
That's the important thing, training in China is only in part about the Kung Fu, mostly it's about the experience and the lifestyle.
Nobody's expecting him to do 540s, what happens is they do the basics, and as stuff gets more demanding people drop out according to their ability (they usually need a break by this point anyway), forms training can be tailored to his physical ability and push hands etc is up to him.

wenshu
05-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Apparently a Chinese wushu school that caters to expatriates is analogous to going to Ranger School.

Who knew?

You don't compete in triathlons in your spare time? Better stay home eating Hot Pockets and playing Call of Duty. You might get sore muscles or sprain something!
He's 49! His bones have surely turned to chalk by now.

Authenticity is subjective. Relative to what TS is accustomed to it will likely seem as if he is living in poverty and enduring bitter suffering.

Are you going to get injured. Yes.

In the end at least you'll learn to say "where is the toilet/ibuprofen" in Chinese.

GeneChing
05-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Better stay home eating Hot Pockets and playing Call of Duty. Best comment so far! Where's my Hot Pocket? Do they make them in nacho flavor yet?

In the end at least you'll learn to say "where is the toilet/ibuprofen" in Chinese. Cesuo zai nar? See? Saved you the trip. ;)

Drake
05-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Apparently a Chinese wushu school that caters to expatriates is analogous to going to Ranger School.

Who knew?

You don't compete in triathlons in your spare time? Better stay home eating Hot Pockets and playing Call of Duty. You might get sore muscles or sprain something!
He's 49! His bones have surely turned to chalk by now.

Authenticity is subjective. Relative to what TS is accustomed to it will likely seem as if he is living in poverty and enduring bitter suffering.

Are you going to get injured. Yes.

In the end at least you'll learn to say "where is the toilet/ibuprofen" in Chinese.

Analogous in terms of any school/academy/fat camp that is supposedly built around a way of life known for its harsh training and difficult training.

If you think he's going to Disneyworld with Tai Chi, then that's fine. But if it is truly training, at age 49 with no fitness training prior, it's asking for trouble.

I see countless soldiers, YOUNG, get injured every day because they've been playing video games and eating junk food. The training isn't even that hard. A few 3-5 mile runs, some upper body and calisthenics, and they STILL get hurt.

So now we have a 49-year old, same level of fitness, trying to attend a school which, if it is authentic, will be taxing on the body? I've got 18-19 year olds who are destroyed within an hour to an hour and a half, and now we're talking six hours?

It's either real and it'll injure him, or it's a theme park with silk pajamas, and he'll leave thinking he's a Shaolin Monk.

wenshu
05-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Where's my Hot Pocket? Do they make them in nacho flavor yet?
Thy will be done.

Cesuo zai nar? See? Saved you the trip. ;)

厕所在哪儿?我要解大手。

Mochuisle
05-19-2011, 12:39 PM
I think some people hear the word 49 and assume things...I know I said I was not that fit but I worked as an electrician for ten years, played football for years, am close to ideal weight..yes I'm not fit but can get reasonably fit in six months...

GeneChing
05-19-2011, 01:37 PM
And if I had the opportunity, I'd go back in a heartbeat. I've just got too many ties (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/) right now that keep me here - not bad ties, mind you, but I still envy your opportunity to take this adventure.

I hope you can report back here from China when you get there.

Faruq
05-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi,

M

Funny no one seems to have mentioned this, but isn't WuDang the home of internal arts? Wouldn't this guy just be practicing like Tai Chi Ch'uan, Xing-Yi and Ba Qua Zhang there, and therefore not be too likely to suffer any injuries?

KC Elbows
05-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Western style toilets are the reason you can't do horse stance right in the first place.

Go native. But bring some TP wherever you go.

Some wudang drills could really f you up done wrong, but they're probably not gonna want you injured.

The chen style teacher I trained under in Henan ran classes daily for four or five hours(I trained free, suckers, for style details, not conditioning classes, don't hate). Anyway, most of the Taoists I knew believed in a sort of pulse to training, with lots of rests during the time you are training.

And 10K for a year would not get you a place to live in China for the same amount of time, unless you're a citizen.

Have fun.

KC Elbows
05-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Funny no one seems to have mentioned this, but isn't WuDang the home of internal arts? Wouldn't this guy just be practicing like Tai Chi Ch'uan, Xing-Yi and Ba Qua Zhang there, and therefore not be too likely to suffer any injuries?

Bagua has some qi gong sets that cold blow your knees off your body and kill a nearby panda with their sheer velocity. Just saying.

B.Tunks
05-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Yeah it would be fun and romantic and all that, my point is that you are fooling yourself with the kungfu bit. You will attain crap to mediocre level skills at best, simply because you have zero background and you're too old. But if you're after a unique/strange experience - go for it. Don't worry about the injuries as they wont be that bad because they won't push you hard anyway because they want your money and they are there to give you the experience you are after. Just be prepared for people like me to laugh at your clips once you come back and start promoting yourself as a Wudang teacher.

Sorry to sound so negative. Ran into a lot of people like you (and also like the people that are taking your money) in China over the years.

Personally I think you are better off studying qigong or calligraphy or something similar if you are intent on the China experience.

BT

KC Elbows
05-19-2011, 04:21 PM
My view is that those organized trips are the wrong approach for an experienced martial art who can navigate Chinese culture, they should go and find the best teacher they are able to, but for newbies, some of them are worth the time.

JamesC
05-19-2011, 04:46 PM
I'd say that if the guy is going over at the age of 50 it is probably just one of those things he has always wanted to do and will regret if he never at least gives it a try.

If that's the case, I don't think it matters too much what any of us say because he'll do it anyways.

I've got some pretty stupid things on my bucket list too and I know that no matter what everyone says i'll still do them.

YouKnowWho
05-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Don't worry about the injuries ...

A good friend of mine went to Chenjago for 3 years and came back wiith a bad knee.

You should watch the movie, "Iron and Silk". Don't come back as a modern Wushu performer.

Mochuisle
05-20-2011, 12:28 AM
I understand what you are saying Tunks BUT, I'm not going over there so that I can come back and talk about KungFu. I am going over to try get as fit and as flexible as I can while also allowing myself plenty of time to think my future over.

I only started the thread to try get feed back on the Training really:)

Also, it doesn't matter whether they go easy on me, or want my money nor does it matter whether I experience the full KF lifestyle or not...

I could blow my money or spend my money in a thousand different ways and I have thought of many....but the choice to go to this academy seems worhwhile.

And I promise, if I go in the end, not to come back and post anything that suggests I am any more than I am:)

Cheers

M

Blacktiger
05-20-2011, 01:05 AM
Hi,

M

Go for it - you will have a great time!!

B.Tunks
05-20-2011, 01:15 AM
I understand what you are saying Tunks BUT, I'm not going over there so that I can come back and talk about KungFu. I am going over to try get as fit and as flexible as I can while also allowing myself plenty of time to think my future over.

I only started the thread to try get feed back on the Training really:)

Also, it doesn't matter whether they go easy on me, or want my money nor does it matter whether I experience the full KF lifestyle or not...

I could blow my money or spend my money in a thousand different ways and I have thought of many....but the choice to go to this academy seems worhwhile.

And I promise, if I go in the end, not to come back and post anything that suggests I am any more than I am:)

Cheers

M
Sounds like you've thought it over and know what u want. Original post sounded very naive. Hope u get out of it what u need. Have fun.

B.Tunks
05-20-2011, 01:26 AM
but yeah - you're still too old. can't retract that. old people training real gongfu are those that have been training it for years. anyone else starting at that age is just playing.

TAO YIN
05-20-2011, 01:45 AM
Go and have fun, train slow and steady! Be sure and eat up all of the meals that they provide you and ask for more. Drink water. Eat apples. Use common sense. Walk before you run. Seriously, pay attention to what you are doing, and pay attention to each and every detail relating to proper body alignment with each and every posture. If you are not fighting, injuries usually occur from lack of proper stretching and warm up, POOR BODY ALIGNMENT (in stances your knees are not meant to go past your toes in the beginning, if at all...), burning yourself out, POOR DIET, and POOR REST. Wudang and Shiyan has good medicine and massage. Head to get a good massage every Friday night, and sleep and meditate and do healing Qigong for the rest of the weekend. Walk to the mountaintop every chance you get. Learn about yourself and how your body works. Don't try to copy how the teacher does it. Do it how you do it, while paying attention of course to the basic fundamentals of all martial arts. Learn the language. Practice before you go.

10,000 bucks for a years stay, with accomodation, food, and whatever else is pretty cheap for China. Of course you could do it on your own cheaper, but you would need to know the language, where to go, have proper visa, and etc...As a foreigner, finding instruction is a pain enough if you don't know who is who and what is up with everything.

Or, if you have your own home, and perhaps 10,000 bucks in the bank, stay at home and watch the rat race go by while studying with the best teacher you can find in your area. Doesn't sound as fun though.

I remember a few years ago there was a 60 year old who went to one of the Muay Thai camps in Phuket. He had little experience with martial arts, was plump but healthy, and etc. He ended up his stay in Thailand by fighting in the Stadium and actually winning.

Scott R. Brown
05-20-2011, 02:26 AM
I agree with Tao Yin and the other Yes'ers, and NOT the NaySayers.

While it is true it is important to be cautious and not over do it, there is nothing that is written in stone that says you cannot succeed to a good level of skill.

Most people are mediocre in their life and even more so in their athletic endeavors. Most people have no experience being exceptional at anything. Some people see themselves as exceptional, but are actually only mediocre. Many people can't imagine someone else just might be exceptional, especially more exceptional then they are.

In your case, you are exceptional already just in your desire to spend the money and go on the adventure. No one can hazard an accurate guess of how well you will do, not even you.

In life it is better to act like you are exceptional and CAN do it, rather than admit defeat before you even try. This is the loser attitude that most people, especially naysayers have. They can't do it, or don't want to try to do it, therefore, no one else can do it!

I have always lived by a dictum: "Argue for your limitations and they are yours! Say 'I CAN'T' and you won't! Say 'I CAN' and even if you fail you have gained more than the loser attitude would have given you!"

At any age, all it takes is the desire to do it, and a means to learn the skills you wish to learn. After that, all it takes is persistence. All people are subject to injury. I always have some kind of major injury to overcome. It has been that way for me since I was 15 and I am now 52. If you train you will be injured, that is just the way it is. Live with it and train around your injuries and do the best you can with what you can do.

One time, when I was much younger, all I had time to do was to train kicks, I obtained exceptional kicks because I was able to focus all my energy on learning them and practicing them. Life leads to certain limitations and you learn how to take that half empty of a glass of water and view it as half full. The glass never changes, but the way you choose to view it does. That is what changes you and your experience, what YOU bring to it!

Whatever it is you do, do it because it is fun and you love it. Skill will come simply because you love it and enjoy it. Any other motive can cause problems, like the emotional need to prove yourself or be better than everyone else. Fun, is the best way to develop exceptional skill at any age!:)

Even if you do not develop the skill of an exceptional 19 year old, you will have exceptional skill for a 50 year old!;)

Brule
05-20-2011, 06:09 AM
You know, if you're dead set on going, which sounds like you are, then i'd suggest you at least start doing some type of exercise that will get you in decent shape while you're still at home. You mentioned before that you're not going until next year July, right? And that you can get in shape with some work? Maybe find a place to train in your area for the year until you go. It will get you started with the training and your body will have time to adapt.

bawang
05-20-2011, 07:50 AM
you pay 10 thousand dollars for an illusion and lie. you are weak

XiaoPang
05-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Brother, I will help you.

If you go to temples you find mickey mouse and Ms. Blue Smurf. The top best ones have government friendship and can make riches in real estate market. They don't do dancing and beg for money. You also have idea that is wrong thinking way. Top ones are too busy to care about you. They can train mafia or government officials for more money than you can pay. Only farmers and physical education majors caring about foreigners because this all they can do beside getting good job at KFC.

Go to a chicken garden offer 50rmb to learn "金刚打飞机“ to make you soft relaxed. Later on pay the guard 100rmb to teach you how to fight for one hour on his day off. He will teach you really fight vicious way. Then practice. This is how Chinese learn military boxing.

SPJ
05-24-2011, 08:57 AM
this all they can do beside getting good job at KFC.

considering a name change

kentucky grilled chicken or KGC.

KFC grilled is redundant.

if it is fried how can it be grilled again.

:confused:

SPJ
05-24-2011, 08:58 AM
I meant people in the 21st century preferred chicken grilled then fried.

is it not?

:D

SPJ
06-06-2011, 09:39 AM
A good friend of mine went to Chenjago for 3 years and came back wiith a bad knee.

You should watch the movie, "Iron and Silk". Don't come back as a modern Wushu performer.

yes. knee is designed to bend or flex in a certain way.

so when you are moving or shifting weight, if exert forces in the wrong way, your knee is kaputt.

if not carefull, you are punishing your knee with all sorts of wrongs.

even standing in posture without moving

knee is still sensitive --

:eek:

bawang
06-06-2011, 09:40 AM
i forgot to mention this, but at wudang mountain they beat their students, including foreign students.

Faruq
06-06-2011, 10:03 AM
That's why its so popular with the S & M crowd....

bawang
06-06-2011, 10:04 AM
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/nzzipw2xUSU

at 15:30

if he doesnt mind hitting a fat woman, he will have no qualms hitting a 50 year old feeble man.
wudang kung fu will not take it easy just for you, mochuisle. think about it.

TAO YIN
06-07-2011, 11:34 AM

That is hitting? That girl is fat?

I waited 16 minutes for the instructor to king hit a fat student. Nothing...He just wanted her to remember so he didn't have to teach her again.

The poster should definitely be more worried about injuries from over training and the like. Not from fighting and sparring.

I wonder when the last time that teacher got GNPd was though?

bawang
06-07-2011, 02:07 PM
he did it lightly for the camera.

there are scars on the chinese kids

i love it when he beats the foreign students. give me a boner.

TAO YIN
06-07-2011, 08:06 PM

Bawang,

你好!请问你是中国人吗?你知道这个老师在武当山吗? 我去过中国很多地方, 武当山,少林寺等。。。我看少部分人会有创伤,和我看更少的外国人有这个麻烦。过去功夫是为了打架,而我看 现在的老师教学生更注重的是强身健体。 你对功夫有什么样的理解呢?

所以你真的是一个霸王吗?

bawang
06-07-2011, 08:25 PM
herro!

强你娘的粪门

omarthefish
06-07-2011, 08:48 PM
http://m1.aboluowang.com/news/data/uploadfile/200903/20090316021756861.jpg

http://diffusibility.com/diffusibility-pic/b-3.png

TAO YIN
06-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Bawang,

Are you serious? You want to actually rape my mother's arse? I was actually being polite to you. Anyhow, good luck with those rape charges...Did you want to answer my questions now?

Omar,

:confused:I didn't get it? You lost me there...

Cheers,

omarthefish
06-08-2011, 12:38 AM
Basically the same thing Bawang said but in Chinese internet anti-censorship code. ;)

grass mud horse a "b"

Ironically, now even the "grass mud horse" has been nearly completely removed from the Chinese internet. lol

http://www.boosj.com/729436.html

Can't find the cutsey original version on baidu anymore. I'll get it from youtube later. Don't feel like opening up a VPN right now.

I think it's this one but I can't play it at the moment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Fl3q5gZNc

SPJ
06-08-2011, 06:10 AM

Bawang,

你好!请问你是中国人吗?你知道这个老师在武当山吗? 我去过中国很多地方, 武当山,少林寺等。。。我看少部分人会有创伤,和我看更少的外国人有这个麻烦。过去功夫是为了打架,而我看 现在的老师教学生更注重的是强身健体。 你对功夫有什么样的理解呢?

所以你真的是一个霸王吗?

随便抬杆

不必认真

just having a conversation at random.

no need to be all serious.

SPJ
06-08-2011, 06:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw2Jz5i4iKs

清凉秀

去去火

clearer and cooling show

put down some fire.

if a show girl dresses less, it is called qing liang show (taiwanese slang)

reduce your stress and tension or fire.

or just stay cool and be cool.

;)

SPJ
06-08-2011, 06:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JWsMG5U0Dw&feature=related

even pet food exhibit in shi lin (taipei)

hill's diet

they have qing liang show to attract crowds

--

my point is that

if a place used kung fu to attract tourists so be it

shaolin or wudang

etc etc.

stay cool.

GETHIN
07-07-2011, 05:18 AM
I went to Wudang at 49 yrs. I had intended to stay for two years but left after about 18 months... the school I stayed at was not on the mountain, but close to the town.
When I first arrived there I was told to take my time and look at the school before paying anything, I was also told that I could have a discount if I made a single payment for one year in advance... everything looked great, but having once payed this soon changed. I watched with some regret as I saw this happen to quite a few people.
My advice to anyone going there is simply this, pay by the month, even if it means paying a little extra. If the school like your money (and they will as foreigners pay over double the fees asked of Chinese students), they will make an effort to teach you something, and not forget about you once they have your money.
I believe Master Yuan's school to be one of the better schools in the town, he speaks English and is very 'geared up' to teaching foreigners. But if you do not go there I would suggest you choose an established school ON the mountain.
During my time in Wudang I watched as concrete mountains with plastic trees on them were erected in and around the town, hundreds of shops selling imported swords appeared overnight. Everything seemed to become very commercial.
Nowadays I train in Yongchung in Fujian, unlike the Shaolin or Wudang the schools there are not just after my money (what little I have LOL !), and they have held on to their traditional styles.
Good luck.