PDA

View Full Version : Why do Iron Body?

Syre
10-31-2001, 07:04 AM
Some really dedicated MA practitioners work on things like pain tolerance level training and iron body training, which are very painful and would seem to really only be of use if you do lots of fighting.

So do you guys who do this stuff plan to do lots of fighting, or why do you do it?

Is the fighting you're planning on doing in tournaments or do you just get into lots of street fights?

If it's street fights, aren't your assailants likely to have knives or guns some of the time? And then what do you do? And why are you getting into so many street fights anyway? Are you picking the fights?

In ancient times I can see where this kind of training would be very useful, since there were brigands everywhere and the most you'd have to face would be an edge weapon. But now, I am wondering what the point of such training is.

Anyone care to comment?

joedoe
10-31-2001, 07:19 AM
Cos the chicks dig it :D

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Xebsball
10-31-2001, 07:51 AM
Iron Body is not just resisting to pain, its resisting the damage itself.
People do it so that when they are sparring full contact or fighting, when they are hit they can recover quickly and keep on fighting. It's a plus to any fighter.
This type of conditioning can be done in different ways, one way is the iron body, other way would be taking hits all the time (like a boxer or thai boxer for example). Of this two personaly i like the iron body better because it is more healty from the chinese medicine point of view.

-------------------------
I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt
I'm too sexy for your mother, too sexy for your mother
So sexy, YEAH

IronFist
10-31-2001, 11:27 AM
Iron body isn't used for just fighting. Back when I was working at a toy store, I accidently dropped a swingset box on my shin. Swing sets in their boxes weigh at least 200 lbs if not more. Anyway, it didn't hurt much, nor did it bruise. My training was concentrated on forearms and shins, and apparently at that moment it was working :)

Someone who wrote for Wing Lam's catalog had an article in there about how iron body saved their life in a car accident.

Iron

straight blast
10-31-2001, 12:42 PM
Not really knowing much about Iron body I'm curious if you do anything along the lines of "Iron Joints". Joints are a hell of a weak spot and I was curious if there are any methods to combat this.

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

Wongsifu
10-31-2001, 03:20 PM
man i do iron body and it doesnt hurt one it, the whole point is that you start slowly so in essence you might look like you are pounding away at something but it doesnt really hurt, also 90% of it is internal so its just like doing horse stance.

Also its generally good for the body, because you bring energy to the surface and open the meridians for the whole body.
some people say it isnt good because you die young, that a load of bull, you die young if you bring out all of your bodies energy all the time and dont replace it, if you are a competent practitioner then you generate more energy in the dantien and just use that to cover the body. you dont use your prenatal source.

Why do i do it , because when you spar with someone who kicks like a mule, it smuch better for your body to be able to take the hit , rather than to be in agony every time you get hit, plus in sprring you always get hit , so its better if you arent scared of getting hit you can go in full force.
plus lastly the great thing about it is like someone else said , you dont hurt yourself in accidents, i have too many stories where like 3 people in the room go oooow aaaaaa eoooooow oooooooo that musta hurt and i go no i ddint feel it , when like the oven door opens and falls on my head. So its cool

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

KC Elbows
10-31-2001, 07:55 PM
Iron body is important if you have any claim to study MA for self defense. If you have to fight, you had best be able to take a hit. As far as "what if they have a knife/gun", iron body is not a replacement for fighting technique, principles, and usage, but you might find it hard to apply these things in a non-static situation if you cannot take a hit.

Nutt'nhunny
11-01-2001, 12:17 AM
yes, yes, suck my dick.

Wongsifu
11-01-2001, 12:29 AM
hey it didnt sensor dick

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo