PDA

View Full Version : Best Overall Wing Chun Book

wolf3001
05-19-2011, 04:02 PM
What is the best book for Wing Chun out there? I have a few but im looking for something that covers all the terminology in one book. I thought I read somewhere that the WC Museum was putting together a major book on all thing Wing Chun but now im not finding anything. I mainly want something that covers the techniques and theories behind the art. I have trouble with some of the terminology and would also like accurate English translations of the techniques. I have often times ran into issues with different translations for a technique. We have gotten into several discussions in class about the names of techniques and my Sifu is not always there.

kowloonboy
05-19-2011, 04:17 PM
I am not sure if this is the best book as I have also just started Wing Chun, but this is one of the book I got.

Mastering Wing Chun by Grandmaster Samuel Kwok and Sifu Tony Massengill.

It covers all the forms empty hand forms and terminology. Also got history and so on.

k gledhill
05-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Hasn't been written yet...coming hopefully soon ;)

Phil Redmond
05-19-2011, 05:10 PM
One of my favorite books is "The Complete Wing Chun". I would be nice though if some WC Sifus would get together and do a book on each other's lineages. That would be a great seller since many people might not buy a book outside of their lineage but would buy a book that showed their lineage. The extra bonus being that they'd see other lineages as well.

kowloonboy
05-19-2011, 05:35 PM
One of my favorite books is "The Complete Wing Chun". I would be nice though if some WC Sifus would get together and do a book on each other's lineages. That would be a great seller since many people might not buy a book outside of their lineage but would buy a book that showed their lineage. The extra bonus being that they'd see other lineages as well.

That will be a best seller if all the WC Sifu on different lineages does get together and do a book or even dvd or seminar together. I know this will definitely help WC newbie like me, and others as well.

Also if Wing Chun of different lineage only cover some part of the jigsaw puzzles of the complete art (This is what I read online, as I am only a WC newbie, I do trust what I read online). Then if all Sifus get together, Wing Chun can finally be a complete picture.

Thanks for recommending the "The Complete Wing Chun" book, I just order it. :)

Lee Chiang Po
05-19-2011, 05:56 PM
This is why no two people on the wing chun forum agrees on anything Wing chun. They all learn from books and they can't all seem to understand it, then they just say their lineage does this different or whatever so that they don't look or sound stupid. That's why only I have the real wing chun.

Phil Redmond
05-19-2011, 06:04 PM
This is why no two people on the wing chun forum agrees on anything Wing chun. They all learn from books and they can't all seem to understand it, then they just say their lineage does this different or whatever so that they don't look or sound stupid. That's why only I have the real wing chun.
You have a good sense of humor eh?

Phil Redmond
05-19-2011, 06:06 PM
That will be a best seller if all the WC Sifu on different lineages does get together and do a book or even dvd or seminar together. I know this will definitely help WC newbie like me, and others as well.

Also if Wing Chun of different lineage only cover some part of the jigsaw puzzles of the complete art (This is what I read online, as I am only a WC newbie, I do trust what I read online). Then if all Sifus get together, Wing Chun can finally be a complete picture.

Thanks for recommending the "The Complete Wing Chun" book, I just order it. :)
A book of DVD series would be the best thing ever for Wing Chun. I say this because NONE of us can say we have the real deal. We all have pieces of the whole pie.

kowloonboy
05-19-2011, 06:37 PM
A book of DVD series would be the best thing ever for Wing Chun. I say this because NONE of us can say we have the real deal. We all have pieces of the whole pie.

I agreed, but to be honest, I don't think these book or DVD series would never happens, but what I read so far online and my personal experience with other Kung Fu style Sifus. All my Kung Fu style Sifus always claimed that their style (Hung Gar, Praying Mantis, Shaolin, Tai Chi and so on) are better and they teaches the ultimate art and the answer to all situations. If you even dare to question them, but this style do this, they will ask beat you up in front of all students to make a point that their style is better than others.

I do hope this book and DVD series, or even a Wing Chun master of all lineage gathering does happen and come up with the complete curriculum, as it will help us a lot. I have studies many systems of Martial Arts before, and I do trust that Wing Chun is better for my personal physical build (But when I discover that there are a lot of missing jigsaw of different lineages of WC, it does put me off. If you go to learn Muay Thai - all school teach the same. If you go to a TKD school, they all teach the same, and so does most Martial Art system around the world. But do we have to go and try to learn from all styles of Wing Chun just to be complete?? Which is impossible)

BTW, I like your teaching and website a lot. Shame that I don't live in NYC. :(

Hendrik
05-19-2011, 06:50 PM
I think these days DVD is better then book.

But, to learn WCK, it is better to go to school. Books and DVDs are just some reference.

Buddha_Fist
05-19-2011, 07:13 PM
That's why only I have the real wing chun.

Hilarious!!! You made my day! :D

kowloonboy
05-19-2011, 07:21 PM
I think these days DVD is better then book.

But, to learn WCK, it is better to go to school. Books and DVDs are just some reference.

Yes, I agreed.

Wu Wei Wu
05-19-2011, 09:20 PM
who cares about terminology? if you are starting out, concentrate on the action. once you are comfortable in applying the action, use your own language to describe the motion. this is how you get good (by putting things in your own words). later on, if you are insistent on being a teacher then sure, learn the traditional labels associated with the actions.

interestingly, the arguments on this forum seem to have more to do with misunderstandings of labels and errors in definition between various lines, rather than the actual barometer of success (which requires no words); effectiveness.

I am reminded of baltasar gracian; "be content to ACT, and leave the talking to others"

Suki

lance
05-19-2011, 11:07 PM
I agreed, but to be honest, I don't think these book or DVD series would never happens, but what I read so far online and my personal experience with other Kung Fu style Sifus. All my Kung Fu style Sifus always claimed that their style (Hung Gar, Praying Mantis, Shaolin, Tai Chi and so on) are better and they teaches the ultimate art and the answer to all situations. If you even dare to question them, but this style do this, they will ask beat you up in front of all students to make a point that their style is better than others.

I do hope this book and DVD series, or even a Wing Chun master of all lineage gathering does happen and come up with the complete curriculum, as it will help us a lot. I have studies many systems of Martial Arts before, and I do trust that Wing Chun is better for my personal physical build (But when I discover that there are a lot of missing jigsaw of different lineages of WC, it does put me off. If you go to learn Muay Thai - all school teach the same. If you go to a TKD school, they all teach the same, and so does most Martial Art system around the world. But do we have to go and try to learn from all styles of Wing Chun just to be complete?? Which is impossible)

Kowloonboy go to everythingwingchun.com , they have wing chun materials of all the wing chun sifus in the world . DVD is better than book , the book does ' nt tell you how fast you need to be , the sifu will let you figure it out , although it just shows you pictures of how the art is suppose to be performed .

DVD shows you everything , unless the sifu is holding back on something from you .

wolf3001
05-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Although each group studies a different version the techniques are more or less still there and to my knowledge in all the reading I have done over the years I believe all the terminology is about the same although it may be spelled differently. I can't say my Sifu really remembered to teach us all the terms used for things I still learn from my teachers after 10 years. I have been working on Biu Jee for some time but I am still figuring stuff out that I didn't know before. I haven't always been around to get the help I need. I doubt a book covering each group would be a possibility it would cover a lot. However I think the museum should get them to create a series based on each and then sold in sets. I knew I had read about a book being made by the museum but I wasn't sure if it was out. I need something that covers all the techniques and stuff because honestly I know I don't know the names or translations of everything. I have many of the William Cheung's books and I recently got Mastering Kung Fu Featuring Shaolin Wing Chun. My teachers were supposedly in a book William Cheung, Ronda & Jerry Bolding Wing Chun Chi Sao & Applications. I don't know that it was ever published though.

wingchunIan
05-20-2011, 05:01 AM
I would highly recommend Simply Wing Chun by Sifu Shawn Rawcliffe and also recommend the series of books by Sifu Alan Gibson (why wing chun works etc), but you will not find a resolution to the terminology in a book. The terminology in Wing Chun is difficult because the same shape can have different labels depending upon the energy applied / method of application even within the same lineage. When different lineages are brought together it gets even more confusing. When the Ip Man tong was originally thought of the VTAA convened a meeting with various senior sifus from hong kong and the mainland they spent hours arguing about techniques and the content of forms etc and noone could agree. Finally after one debate over whether a technique existed in Wing Chun or not one of the protagonists stood up and demonstrated what he was talking about and immediately everyone agreed that it was in the system but everyone had different names for the movement performed. In my opinion the label is ultimately unimportant and you would be far better spending your time practising the movements and their applications, exploring their strengths and their limitations than worrying about what things are called.

Graham H
05-20-2011, 05:03 AM
The best book has been written but not published yet. ;)

k gledhill
05-20-2011, 05:28 AM
The best book has been written but not published yet. ;)

Any idea when?

Graham H
05-20-2011, 07:09 AM
Any idea when?

I'm not sure. He did say he would wait until all the other people have realeased their books. :D I have a few paragraphs from it. It's not a how to book but rather WSL's thinking and a lot of WSL's hand written texts are in it. I can't wait but I would hazzard a guess that he may never do it. Rubbish huh. I think it's been a long time in the making. If you have read his booklet "Real Ving Tsun" there are some gems to be discovered. Something for the VT Police to jump on I guess!! LOL

G

Vernon
05-20-2011, 07:21 AM
This book (actually two volumes) seems interesting and very thorough.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1T4ADSA_enUS407US408&q=wing+chun+compendium&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16858921695854084305&sa=X&ei=5XfWTeWpDOr20gGMruWUBw&ved=0CCkQ8wIwAA&biw=1259&bih=728#

k gledhill
05-20-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm not sure. He did say he would wait until all the other people have realeased their books. :D I have a few paragraphs from it. It's not a how to book but rather WSL's thinking and a lot of WSL's hand written texts are in it. I can't wait but I would hazzard a guess that he may never do it. Rubbish huh. I think it's been a long time in the making. If you have read his booklet "Real Ving Tsun" there are some gems to be discovered. Something for the VT Police to jump on I guess!! LOL

G

Any way to get real VT? Or a photocopy?

Graham H
05-20-2011, 07:36 AM
I can send you photocopies but it is in german. I have read the english translations but havent got it. Desmond has it all I think.

If you know somebody who speaks german they can help you translate it. Failing that I can't help you out bro.

Philipp and Des have given me some good reading. Of course your Glenns and Spencers of this world wouldn't agree with it all because, like me, it contradicts their ideas! LOL

Sorry Spence.....you're alright really. ;) :D

G

k gledhill
05-20-2011, 07:53 AM

G

I can send you photocopies but it is in german. I have read the english translations but havent got it. Desmond has it all I think.

If you know somebody who speaks german they can help you translate it. Failing that I can't help you out bro.

Philipp and Des have given me some good reading. Of course your Glenns and Spencers of this world wouldn't agree with it all because, like me, it contradicts their ideas! LOL

Sorry Spence.....you're alright really. ;) :D

G

Excellent. I will pm address. I can work on translation.

Phil Redmond
05-20-2011, 10:10 AM

Thank you. There are people here who have studied various lineages of WC including myself. Maybe a DVD collaboration with Sifus who have studied and taught other lineages is possible.

trubblman
05-20-2011, 10:39 AM
What is the best book for Wing Chun out there? I have a few but im looking for something that covers all the terminology in one book. I thought I read somewhere that the WC Museum was putting together a major book on all thing Wing Chun but now im not finding anything. I mainly want something that covers the techniques and theories behind the art. I have trouble with some of the terminology and would also like accurate English translations of the techniques. I have often times ran into issues with different translations for a technique. We have gotten into several discussions in class about the names of techniques and my Sifu is not always there.

Probably could find this information on the internet with judicious research.

Sean66
05-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Hey Kev,

I can translate the text from German to English if you'd like, no worries.

k gledhill
05-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Hey Kev,

I can translate the text from German to English if you'd like, no worries.

Do you have it already ? let me know and I can pm you shipping details to me.

TenTigers
05-20-2011, 01:10 PM
I still enjoy James Yimm Lee's book. Simple, direct, basic...like Wing Chun.

I have always been curious about Randy Williams' series. I saw one of his videos and I enjoyed his presentation.

Robert Chu and Rene Ritchie's book is a good read, and Rene's book on Yuen Kay San WCK is interesting as well.

Sean66
05-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Kev,
No, I don't have it. But if someone can send me the German text, I can translate it pretty quickly.

Lee Chiang Po
05-20-2011, 08:42 PM
You have a good sense of humor eh?

I try. But am not always successful.

wolf3001
05-22-2011, 04:21 PM
I would highly recommend Simply Wing Chun by Sifu Shawn Rawcliffe and also recommend the series of books by Sifu Alan Gibson (why wing chun works etc), but you will not find a resolution to the terminology in a book. The terminology in Wing Chun is difficult because the same shape can have different labels depending upon the energy applied / method of application even within the same lineage. When different lineages are brought together it gets even more confusing. When the Ip Man tong was originally thought of the VTAA convened a meeting with various senior sifus from hong kong and the mainland they spent hours arguing about techniques and the content of forms etc and noone could agree. Finally after one debate over whether a technique existed in Wing Chun or not one of the protagonists stood up and demonstrated what he was talking about and immediately everyone agreed that it was in the system but everyone had different names for the movement performed. In my opinion the label is ultimately unimportant and you would be far better spending your time practising the movements and their applications, exploring their strengths and their limitations than worrying about what things are called.

Thing is I have been in Wing Chun for many years now and really I have a year or 2 before I can grade for instructor level. Each Sifu does things a bit differently even with gradings things are sometimes done differently depending on who is grading you. I have made it a point to only be graded by my Sifu's Jerry and Ronda Bolding. My teachers don't always talk about what a movement is called over the last year I have been learning more of these techniques by name. I have seen various conversations online where someone uses a term and feel a bit embarrassed that I have no clue what they are talking about yet then I see the movement and know exactly what it is and how it is used. Because of the situation I am in I don't get much time with my Sifu anymore. We lost our school due to lack of students and he and his wife are busy and tired of doing so much. They would like one of their students to take over but no one really has. My friend and I are levels 8 and 9 we took on responsibility to keep this going. Depending on how familiar you are with our grading structure I will say 10 is the beginning of instructor level. We started teaching with no support from anyone then after some time trying to talk to others from the old school we got things rolling again. I would like very much to learn all I can from Master Jerry and to teach everything I learn to others but it's sort of stupid in my view to teach only bits of a system. Eventually over time things get lost and then it's no longer what it should be. This bothers me I would like to understand more about the terms and such to pass it on as well not just the movements.

At the end of classes we sometimes line everyone up hold out our arm using a technique and ask everyone what is this and what does the name mean. Unlike many I train with I am the only one who gets online and looks at Wing Chun as a whole and questions why we do things as we do. I do train with some that refer to our system as Traditional that William Cheung trained as a live in student with Ip Man and learned the true system as taught to him by Leung Bik. However I don't blindly follow. I question even Ip Man but the man is dead so I am left looking at other branches not so connected to Ip Man. Around here there are no other Wing Chun schools I can't even find another Chinese art here. I think Cheung's system works better than many I have seen but I will never say it's the true art above any other Wing Chun system. I do argue with people over how they practice Wing Chun because I see some major issues with some things people do because it looks bad from my experience actually fighting. Just for example shifting without picking up your feet. I see many do this but we don't and just like my father my Sifu scolded me for not picking up my feet as I shifted and moved. Depending on a surface it can hider movement. Another example is how many Wing Chun people lean back. It seems to me they are off balance and putting to much weight on one leg. To me this makes it hard to move quickly and effectively.

wolf3001
05-25-2011, 04:15 PM

I seen a couple of books that have Complete Wing Chun in the name who was the author? Im guessing it's Complete Wing Chun: The Definitive Guide to Wing Chun's History and Traditions am I right?

anerlich
05-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Something for the VT Police to jump on I guess!!

I thought you and Kev had taken over that role from T.

I still enjoy James Yimm Lee's book. Simple, direct, basic...like Wing Chun.

That was the first KF book I ever bought, and I still think it stacks up pretty well.

Robert Chu and Rene Ritchie's book is a good read, and Rene's book on Yuen Kay San WCK is interesting as well.

I have both - also the Gee/Meng Mastering WC, which is OK though I could do without Benny's political content, and nearly all the William Cheung books.

I too quite like Alan Gibson's books.

I also think "Strong on Defense" and Geoff Thompson's "Watch my Back" and "Dead or Alive" are essential reading for MAists of any persuasion.

Phil Redmond
05-25-2011, 07:33 PM
I seen a couple of books that have Complete Wing Chun in the name who was the author? Im guessing it's Complete Wing Chun: The Definitive Guide to Wing Chun's History and Traditions am I right?
Two of the authors are Rene Ritchie and Robert Chu I forgot the other authors name.

Phil Redmond
05-25-2011, 08:51 PM
I received an email from David Peterson who I really respect, saying that he would contribute to a "Joint" Wing Chun book. Joy Chaudhuri also offered to contribute. So it seems that some Wing Chun people are big enough to contribute to the art we all love regardless of lineage. I still think we are one (though sometimes troubled), family. ;)

shaolin_allan
05-30-2011, 09:21 PM
I know many people are not fans of Leung Ting or his system but Dynamic Wing Tsun seems like a pretty good book

kowloonboy
06-01-2011, 09:53 AM
I received an email from David Peterson who I really respect, saying that he would contribute to a "Joint" Wing Chun book. Joy Chaudhuri also offered to contribute. So it seems that some Wing Chun people are big enough to contribute to the art we all love regardless of lineage. I still think we are one (though sometimes troubled), family. ;)

I hope this book does come out, will it also have DVD series?

kowloonboy
06-01-2011, 09:54 AM
I know many people are not fans of Leung Ting or his system but Dynamic Wing Tsun seems like a pretty good book

Why doesn't people like Leung Ting or his system?

LaterthanNever
06-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I thought the "Wing Chun Compendium" was really good.

k gledhill
06-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Umm... man 'allegedly' beats pregnant mistress because she wont have abortion....then you discover its your teacher , what would you do ? defend his actions ? buy his book ? speak highly of him to others ? never mind WT, VT WC.....book.

Then gets jailed....

Kung Fu master jailed for beating mistress

Kung Fu master Leung Ting, the last student of martial arts sifu Ip Man, has been sentenced to two months' jail for assaulting his girlfriend.

Leung, the 62-year-old junior apprentice of international kungfu star Bruce Lee, is the founder of the International WingTsun Association.

He was charged with attacking his girlfriend, who was then three months' pregnant, by dragging her on the ground, pulling her hair and kicking her stomach at his home in Hong Kong on March 30.

The couple had entered a heated argument after the girlfriend, 45, was believed to have offended Leung’s ex-wife.

Hong Kong’s Sing Tao Daily reported that the court had found Leung guilty and sentenced him to two months' jail on Thursday.

kowloonboy
06-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Umm... man 'allegedly' beats pregnant mistress because she wont have abortion....then you discover its your teacher , what would you do ? defend his actions ? buy his book ? speak highly of him to others ? never mind WT, VT WC.....book.

Then gets jailed....

Kung Fu master jailed for beating mistress

Kung Fu master Leung Ting, the last student of martial arts sifu Ip Man, has been sentenced to two months' jail for assaulting his girlfriend.

Leung, the 62-year-old junior apprentice of international kungfu star Bruce Lee, is the founder of the International WingTsun Association.

He was charged with attacking his girlfriend, who was then three months' pregnant, by dragging her on the ground, pulling her hair and kicking her stomach at his home in Hong Kong on March 30.

The couple had entered a heated argument after the girlfriend, 45, was believed to have offended Leung’s ex-wife.

Hong Kong’s Sing Tao Daily reported that the court had found Leung guilty and sentenced him to two months' jail on Thursday.

Thanks, I didn't know. :)

k gledhill
06-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks, I didn't know. :)

you're welcome.

anerlich
06-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Also a history of insults and embarassing incidents between students of LT and William Cheung, among others.

kowloonboy
06-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Also a history of insults and embarassing incidents between students of LT and William Cheung, among others.

So another word, he was a bad student of Wing Chun. And doesn't even follow the Code of Conduct of Wing Chun? :mad:

Ip Man’s Code of Conduct

REMAIN disciplined – uphold yourself ethically as a martial artist.

PRACTICE courtesy and righteousness – serve community and honor your family.

LOVE your fellow students or classmates – be united and avoid conflicts.

LIMIT your desires and pursuit of bodily pleasures – preserve the proper spirit.

TRAIN diligently and make it a habit – maintain your skills.

LEARN to develop spiritual tranquility – abstain from arguments and fights.

PARTICIPATE in society – be conservative, cultured and gentle in manners.

HELP the weak and the very young – use your martial skill for the good of humanity.

PASS on the tradition – preserve the Chinese art and its Rules of Conduct.

Runlikehell
06-01-2011, 06:09 PM
The other guy is Y. Wu... never could find his full name.

His full name is Wu Yao Wen.

Does anyone know if his Nanyang WC volumes ever came out?

Firehawk4
06-05-2011, 02:08 PM
I dont think Y Wu ever published his books yet i have been waiting for 12 years for him to do so .

lance
06-17-2011, 03:57 PM

Wolf3001 , go to everythingwingchun.com , it ' s all about wing chun and the Sifus and the lineages , etc .

Vajramusti
06-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Wolf3001 , go to everythingwingchun.com , it ' s all about wing chun and the Sifus and the lineages , etc .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wolf and Lance- you can find a version of dictionary of wing chun terms here:

http://www.fongswingchun.com/resources-dictionary-b.php

Hope it helps.

joy chaudhuri

lance
07-09-2011, 12:44 AM

Phil , that would be nice , but I don ' t think so , better you go and do your own research on their lineages . Because as times goes by do you hear anything about people doing a complete research on the different lineages of WC , then turning it into a documentry DVD or book ? This is a big project that ' s why . But all we can ever for ourselves is do our own research on this subject .

zenmindsword
08-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Firehawk4 have you checked out zenmindsword.webs.com for The Ip Man Question eBook?

shaolinhouse
08-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Also please check out

Link (http://shaolinhouse.com/)

LivingArt
08-15-2011, 01:41 PM
I have the "Wing Chun Compendium Vol 1." which is excellent, and I also have a book called "Wing Chun Kung Fu, traditional chinese kung fu for self defense and health".

The first is by a Wayne Belonoha, and the second is by Grandmaster Ip Chun and Micheal Tse.