PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun people interested in fighting

Phil Redmond
05-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Any fighter knows that you should study the competition. But some not all Wing Chun people have blinders to what other arts are doing. So, I'm posting some clips of the NYC Manup Standup amatuer events. We don't have a fighter for this event. I'm just going to do a demo there and leave to teach my class. I hope that this thread doesn't get moved because these aren't Wing Chun people fighting but you could encounter this type of fighting in amateur events.
We do a "martial" art and I hope that more Wing Chun people will be willing to test what they are learning against people outside of the comfort zone of their kwoons. I know we all talk about what Wing Chun is and isn't. Sifu Francis Fong said "People talk talk talk... but the one still standing says anything he wants". So these clips aren't of Wing Chun fighters. They are of the guys you'll have to fight if you want to test your WC in this event.

Heavy Wt fight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ_tTAAxY_s&lc=CaNK2O0SCjWxhjpTlfsnbLqvvdMizj5rlt-ZeEvRQT8&feature=inbox

Lt Wt title fight
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiItXWGYU1c

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Zr2PEKK_E&feature=related

GlennR
05-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Awesome Phil..... good old fashioned fighting from a bunch of guys that just want to test themselves

And the atmosphere in the crowd seemed great, wish id been there

Thanks again

GlennR

YouKnowWho
05-24-2011, 09:16 PM
The integration can be done easier by steps.

1st - boxing (punch only),
2nd - TKD (kick only, very little punch),
3rd - SC/Judo/wrestling (throw only),
4th - BJJ (lock only),
5th - kickboxing (kick + punch),
6th - Sanshou/Sanda (kick + punch + throw),
7th - MMA (kick + punch + throw + lock).

By passing 1st step, 2nd step, 3rd step, 4th step, and jump right into the 5th step, 6th step, or 7th step may be too soon.

Wayfaring
05-26-2011, 08:23 AM
So, I'm posting some clips of the NYC Manup Standup amatuer events.

Phil,

What are these events? I'm pretty sure MMA isn't sanctioned yet in the state of NY. How do they get around the sanctioning? Just call it "sparring" or something? I mean I would think there might be some issues with that there.

From my observation they are all right. Some of the guys getting in the ring don't have any business there, but others seem like some of the same level of things you see on local MMA amateur shows.

These are good kind of in the same way the old Toughman competitions were. But sanctioned MMA does bring in a few better rules ch - like medicals being required, blood tests (for disease screens, some steriod testing), and some form of match committee that requires someone to be matched with people of like experience.

NY really needs to get MMA sanctioned.

Phil Redmond
05-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Phil,

What are these events? I'm pretty sure MMA isn't sanctioned yet in the state of NY. How do they get around the sanctioning? Just call it "sparring" or something? I mean I would think there might be some issues with that there.

From my observation they are all right. Some of the guys getting in the ring don't have any business there, but others seem like some of the same level of things you see on local MMA amateur shows.

These are good kind of in the same way the old Toughman competitions were. But sanctioned MMA does bring in a few better rules ch - like medicals being required, blood tests (for disease screens, some steriod testing), and some form of match committee that requires someone to be matched with people of like experience.

NY really needs to get MMA sanctioned.

These aren't MMA officially. But I have a friend in NJ who has regular MMA events if anyone is interested. http://www.kapmma.com/

Phil Redmond
05-27-2011, 08:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4ls7SAbN24

Hebrew Hammer
05-28-2011, 09:03 AM
New rule, dudes with pony tails should not fight. Ouch that was brutal.

If you're rockin a mullet, fight on! :D

faxiapreta
05-28-2011, 09:24 AM
New rule, dudes with pony tails should not fight. Ouch that was brutal.

Even better, bagua dudes with no full contact fight experience should wait until they have said experience before talking sh!t about how bad@ss they are.

Eric_H
05-28-2011, 04:29 PM
New rule, dudes with pony tails should not fight.

Take that up with Steven Seagal ;)

Hebrew Hammer
06-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Take that up with Steven Seagal ;)

Point well taken...

Phil what style was that guy using in the first heavy weight fight?? His kicks were outstanding?

JamesC
06-02-2011, 02:52 PM
The black guy in the first video had pretty good skill, I thought. Did he come from a TKD background? It looked like he tried to revert to a typical TKD defense at the beginning of the match by turning away from the white guy.

Phil Redmond
06-02-2011, 05:17 PM
The black guy in the first video had pretty good skill, I thought. Did he come from a TKD background? It looked like he tried to revert to a typical TKD defense at the beginning of the match by turning away from the white guy.
Yes, i also like the way he pretends to run away then launches and attack. If you look at 1:50 in the clip you'll see a street tactic where he pulls the guy's nose then punches him. :)

JamesC
06-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Yes, i also like the way he pretends to run away then launches and attack. If you look at 1:50 in the clip you'll see a street tactic where he pulls the guy's nose then punches him. :)

Hmm... I'll have to watch it again when I get home. I didn't get to give it 100% of my attention since I had my 2 year old on my lap. From what I saw it didn't look like a bait, it looked like an old habit that he's just trying to get rid of.