PDA

View Full Version : why wwe wrestling needs more reviews...

David Jamieson
05-24-2011, 03:28 PM
This is a startling little article over at wrestlinginc.com
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2011/0522/539855/

From 1991's wrestlemania VII, a full quarter of the performers are now dead from heart attacks and drug overdoses for the most part.

the same cannot be said for NFL superbowl starters of that year, or even Boxers.

And that's what happens when a car salesmen runs a stable of athletes.

Beware.

MasterKiller
05-25-2011, 06:06 AM
UH....If men in America want to risk their health to be on a male soap opera, that's their right.

Life, liberty, and the right to be stupid!!

David Jamieson
05-25-2011, 06:30 AM
so, no accountability? no regulation? no oversight like in other pro sports?

This is a big sport a huge money maker and apparently dangerous for the performers involved for any number of reasons from doping to dubious management practices.

May as well make a sport of jumping off a bridge with no rope for 25% of the participants.

I agree you can't legislate against stupidity, but you can make sure people have difficulty exploiting stupidity.

Also, you've pretty much made the statement for all fighting sports. Which doctors will tell you outright these days are a stupid activity to be involved in due to the high amount and repetition of concussions that occur which in fact limit quality of life even when you are young.

Who knows what people are losing with every impact on their brain?

Brule
05-25-2011, 06:35 AM
IMO it's not a sport, it's entertainment. Sure there's athletic ability involved but in no way you can consider it a sport. It's sad to hear these guys destroy their body in that way and end up paying the ultimate price, but it's their choice.

David Jamieson
05-25-2011, 06:46 AM
IMO it's not a sport, it's entertainment. Sure there's athletic ability involved but in no way you can consider it a sport. It's sad to hear these guys destroy their body in that way and end up paying the ultimate price, but it's their choice.

Sport is entertainment by definition bud. Boxing is entertainment, so is football, wrestling etc.

It's a sport like any other by all definitions of sport. Is it fair? no, probably not. lol
It is a lot of theatre, but then, so is a lot of sport.

JamesC
05-25-2011, 06:51 AM
I don't consider it a sport either. They are obviously very athletic people. Especially the luchadors(sp?).

But, in reality, there is no competition or game involved. It's a prearranged set of movements where they already know the outcome.

I'd consider it more akin to something like the Shaolin Wheel of Life things than I would a sporting event.

Again, i'm not saying the guys aren't athletic. That's obviously not true. Just isn't a sport, imo.

BJJ-Blue
05-25-2011, 06:54 AM
UH....If men in America want to risk their health to be on a male soap opera, that's their right.

Life, liberty, and the right to be stupid!!

I completely agree.

so, no accountability? no regulation? no oversight like in other pro sports?

Back in the 1994 Vince McMahon was put on trial for distributing steroids. He was acquitted.

They are not as heavily regulated as boxing, MMA, football, etc because they are not a sport by legal definition.

David Jamieson
05-25-2011, 07:17 AM
They are not as heavily regulated as boxing, MMA, football, etc because they are not a sport by legal definition.

"legal" definition?

Ok, so what is teh "legal" definition of sport.

here's the dictionary definition of it.

noun /spôrt/ 
sports, plural

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment
- team sports such as baseball and soccer
- a sports center

Entertainment; fun
- it was considered great sport to trip him up

A source of amusement or entertainment
- I do not wish to show myself the sport of a man like Williams

A person who behaves in a good or specified way in response to teasing, defeat, or a similarly trying situation
- go on, be a sport!
- Angela's a bad sport

An animal or plant showing abnormal or striking variation from the parent type, esp. in form or color, as a result of spontaneous mutation

so, "legal"? whatever. :p

Brule
05-25-2011, 07:26 AM
I still wouldn't categorize it as a sport, bud. There is no competition for the ultimate prize, they know who's coming home with the gold at the end of the day. By using that web definition you could call anything made for entertainment a sport. Their primary purpose is to entertain the fans.

JamesC
05-25-2011, 07:41 AM
It isn't a competition...

goju
05-25-2011, 07:46 AM
The wrestlers are very well aware of the health risks of their job.They are willing to sacrifice it because preforming in front of an audience is addictive to them.

Personally i find it quite brave that one is willing to make such a trade

JamesC
05-25-2011, 07:58 AM
The wrestlers are very well aware of the health risks of their job.They are willing to sacrifice it because preforming in front of an audience is addictive to them.

Personally i find it quite brave that one is willing to make such a trade

All a matter of perspective I suppose.

David Jamieson
05-25-2011, 08:00 AM
It isn't a competition...

Uh, you'd be surprised at how many so called "competitions" are not that at all.

I think people would be outraged if they knew how money effected the outcomes of games.

Anyway, what you guys "think" a sport is, versus the very definition of it from whatever dictionary you choose which defines words and their meaning is irrelevant.

really it is. Sorry to let you down, but something isn't suddenly something else because you personally don't want to see it that way. lol.

or, just because you think so and say so doesn't mean it's true.

so, by definition, wwe is a sport and in fact advertises itself as such. Anyway, this was not the point of the thread.

It is an observation that unregulated sport-entertainment involving violence real or contrived is in actually... not a very intelligent thing to do. It is startling the amount of deaths that have happened from what seems to be a need to compromise yourself in an effort to stay at the top of the game and not get relegated to the lower ranks.

This is where the idea of sport and competition gets sad and self defeating.

JamesC
05-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Uh, you'd be surprised at how many so called "competitions" are not that at all.

I think people would be outraged if they knew how money effected the outcomes of games.

Anyway, what you guys "think" a sport is, versus the very definition of it from whatever dictionary you choose which defines words and their meaning is irrelevant.

really it is. Sorry to let you down, but something isn't suddenly something else because you personally don't want to see it that way. lol.

or, just because you think so and say so doesn't mean it's true.

so, by definition, wwe is a sport and in fact advertises itself as such. Anyway, this was not the point of the thread.

It is an observation that unregulated sport-entertainment involving violence real or contrived is in actually... not a very intelligent thing to do. It is startling the amount of deaths that have happened from what seems to be a need to compromise yourself in an effort to stay at the top of the game and not get relegated to the lower ranks.

This is where the idea of sport and competition gets sad and self defeating.

And just because YOU declare it is a sport doesn't make it so. Sorry.

MasterKiller
05-25-2011, 08:51 AM
The ONLY reason the government can get involved in professional sports is because pro leagues are afforded anti-trust exemption. WWE has no anti-trust exemption, and therefore the government has no business regulating any part of it.

Jimbo
05-25-2011, 09:12 AM
I would compare what pro-wrestling organizations do, moreso since the '90s, to what the Hong Kong stunt performers did mostly in the '80s to early '90s, and some Thai performers are doing today. Basically, destroying or risking destroying their bodies to get the biggest props from their peers and the audiences. The difference with the WWE, Impact and others is that they must do it night in, night out every week. Unlike filming a movie, they have to get the stunt(s) right the first time; there are no second takes in front of a live audience.

In a way, the pro wrestling spectacle is a type of competition. The matches themselves are a "work," but the performers are working to improve their spots on the roster and with the audiences. Bigger reactions (love or hate) from the fans, obviously, equals better spots and bigger paydays/less chance of being fired. Once they have their spot, they obviously don't want to lose it by not performing when injured.

Sure, the outcomes are fixed, but unlike what some believe, the entire match can't be choreographed start to finish. You can often see the pro wrestlers putting their heads closer and whispering to each other during the course of a match. They also work on cue and a lot of improvisation.

But in the end, it's their own choice what to do with their bodies. There are plenty of young people who will do anything at a chance for (or to hold on to) stardom. Not to go too far off-topic, but there are many professions that involve health hazards, such as coal mining, firefighting, etc., etc. Some might say that these things involve essentials (true), but they are all professions that involve risks to life and health.

David Jamieson
05-25-2011, 09:51 AM

no need to get all huffy and bnched up.
I didn't "declare" it anything. I pointed it out that it is defined as such.
lol, got your old coot mode on or something? :p

BJJ-Blue
05-25-2011, 09:56 AM
"legal" definition?

Ok, so what is teh "legal" definition of sport.

here's the dictionary definition of it.

It's up to each State's Combative Sports commissions. They define what a sport is, not a dictionary. If it doesn't fit their definition of a combative sport, they can't/wont regulate it. It's that simple.

BJJ-Blue
05-25-2011, 09:59 AM

He will argue til he is blue in the face, or his fingers fall off. He is never wrong.

He posted once that the Federal Reserve is a private corporation and after it was pointed out to him he was wrong he still refused to type the simple words, 'I was wrong'. And he isn't going to type them on this thread either.

JamesC
05-25-2011, 10:00 AM

Bah, i'm not huffy! Not trying to be anyways, lol.

That was actually me being a smart ass more than anything else :p

JamesC
05-25-2011, 10:08 AM

You won't see me get worked up much on these boards. If it seems like I am it is usually just a failure to communicate what i'm really feeling via text.

I don't take internet message boards seriously because, well, they aren't that serious :D

David Jamieson
05-25-2011, 10:17 AM
He will argue til he is blue in the face, or his fingers fall off. He is never wrong.

He posted once that the Federal Reserve is a private corporation and after it was pointed out to him he was wrong he still refused to type the simple words, 'I was wrong'. And he isn't going to type them on this thread either.

hard to get a blue face whilst typing. lol

you goof ball, I don't argue with you, I correct you when your ignorance becomes too much to bear.

Now, why don't you do a little look around and see who controls the fed, then get back to me with your findings. :rolleyes: lol seeing as you are still whining and *****ing about it.

Why not look at the PRIVATE banks that have controlling interest in the policies set by the fed, then you go ahead and make your stupid ass claims about how it is safe and secure and government 100% only.

prepare to call yourself a twit.

....as usual. Hey, tell Danny Williams he can stay if he likes while you're at it. lol

Brule
05-25-2011, 11:05 AM
David, the world is flat. :D

Lucas
05-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey if dodgeball is a sport...anywho...its not that much different than hollywood. look how many people destroy themselves for our entertainment in that arena. drugs, abuse, insanity, all for our amusement/entertainment.

i think more people should kill themselves for my amusement, personally. then it would actually be worth paying for. ;)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dFZS8LNFYiM/SbqVITTe_AI/AAAAAAAAAHM/UxWvH5ym9ig/s400/white+goodman+running+injury+platelet-rich+therapy.jpg

ShaolinDan
05-25-2011, 12:00 PM
"The Wrestler" was a really good movie. Rings true. :) Only wrestling activism I'm aware of (but I haven't followed wrestling for about twenty years now).

David Jamieson
05-25-2011, 01:03 PM
David, the world is flat. :D

The part of it I'm standing on sure is!
Still, seen a globe lately? :p

David Jamieson
05-25-2011, 01:08 PM
"The Wrestler" was a really good movie. Rings true. :) Only wrestling activism I'm aware of (but I haven't followed wrestling for about twenty years now).

A couple of Dudes have been vocal about the problems, one guy wrote a book or two about it and the wrestler is a perfect example of the problems that permeate the entire sport, or entertainment industry of wrestling as some of you are more comfortable with. lol :p

Another thing is that it is only a matter of time before this madness starts projecting itself from the spectacle of other blood sports, in particular mma. I think with all the bloodshed there that is not ketchup packets squished into ones forehead a la wwe a serious eye will be turned towards further regulation of mma as a sport.

so far, so good, but really it is half spectacle / half sport and there is a clear danger to the athletes involved if doping ever gets a hold in there like it has in wrestling or baseball or football or numerous other undertakings.

David Jamieson
05-25-2011, 01:08 PM
i think more people should kill themselves for my amusement, personally. then it would actually be worth paying for. ;)

what are you some kind of reincarnated roman tyrant?

JamesC
05-25-2011, 01:10 PM
what are you some kind of reincarnated roman tyrant?

Heh, Lucas Caesar :cool:

BJJ-Blue
05-25-2011, 01:33 PM
you goof ball, I don't argue with you, I correct you when your ignorance becomes too much to bear.

Ignorance is saying the Federal Reserve is a private corporation.

Now, why don't you do a little look around and see who controls the fed, then get back to me with your findings. :rolleyes: lol seeing as you are still whining and *****ing about it.

You didn't say who controls it, you said it's a private corporation. Period. And you were wrong.

And I'm not whining, just showing the best example I have of you refusing to admit you were wrong on something.

I said you refuse to admit when you're wrong, then I backed it up with proof so people like JamesC can see what he is dealing with. And if he didn't believe me at first, he can see now you still refuse to admit you were wrong when you called the Federal Reserve a "private corporatation".

JamesC
05-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Ignorance is saying the Federal Reserve is a private corporation.

You didn't say who controls it, you said it's a private corporation. Period. And you were wrong.

And I'm not whining, just showing the best example I have of you refusing to admit you were wrong on something.

I said you refuse to admit when you're wrong, then I backed it up with proof so people like LamesC can see what he is dealing with. And if he didn't believe me at first, he can see now you still refuse to admit you were wrong when you called the Federal Reserve a "private corporatation".

Hang on, now. Why am I getting called "LamesC?" :eek:

I'm not Lame... :(

BJJ-Blue
05-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Another thing is that it is only a matter of time before this madness starts projecting itself from the spectacle of other blood sports, in particular mma. I think with all the bloodshed there that is not ketchup packets squished into ones forehead a la wwe a serious eye will be turned towards further regulation of mma as a sport.

You really to type/talk out your *** don't you. :rolleyes:

MMA is already regulated as a combative sport. And MMA welcomes regulation. Dana White actually pushed for it back when they were unregulated because it gives the sport legitimacy. It makes sure the rules are universal, the referees and judges are licensed, a doctor is present at the fights, the promoters are bonded so the fighters get paid and insured, and the fighters pass a physical and drug tests.

Lucas
05-25-2011, 02:18 PM
All Hail Lucas Caesar!!!

Now fight to the death!!!

;)