PDA

View Full Version : Choy Li Fut grappling

V.O.R.
05-28-2011, 07:41 AM
Care to discuss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVUABpjgnaM&feature=feedu

hskwarrior
05-28-2011, 09:48 AM
When i watched that, i thought the same thing. But at the same time, i wondered if things would have been different if he had a real partner there as well.

Ben Gash
05-28-2011, 10:24 AM
The video's about translating CLF stance principles to ground positions, so as part 1 I think it was probably clearer without a partner, and there is a place for solo position drills. I practice them on a heavy bag, but I'm twice the size of Niel.
As for the content, certainly interesting. I generally just say Kum Quai Ma (pressing down horse/frog stance) or Lok Quai Ma (kneeling down horse) for top positions, but I understand what he's saying about making them analogous to standing stances. As long as he goes on to address posture and arm positions, it's all fine.

hskwarrior
05-28-2011, 11:35 AM
but I understand what he's saying about making them analogous to standing stances.

I can agree on that right there. Kneeling horse can be used to kneel down on a person's stomach when the fights on the ground and strike at the same time.

faxiapreta
05-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Only someone who knows nothing about grappling would attempt to demonstrate grappling without an actual partner.

Without the context of a partner, the things he showed mean nothing.

Dragonzbane76
05-29-2011, 06:13 AM
Most of what he was describing was basic understandings in grappling. rudementary understandings . Postioning mostly but he was comparing it to standing stances in CLF. nothing wrong with that if your teaching someone with an understanding of CLF principals.

Have to agree with others that you need a partner to show for better understanding even if it is transitions and positioning. Grappling is so hard to describe for understanding, you have to show. It's not like punching or kicking a lot of its through "feel".

lkfmdc
05-29-2011, 08:35 AM
There ARE cross overs between traditional concept of "stance" and ground positions, HOWEVER showing them like this is pretty much worthless. Show them on a live person, with the person showing resistance, particularly trying to escape, show how to maintain the stance and flow into other positions

The other huge danger here is he is trying to re-invent the wheel. He is guessing at how these things work as opposed to just "emptying his cup" and seeking knowledge from those who already know

Ben Gash
05-29-2011, 10:20 AM
It's part 1, his videos often go to part 13, Im sure a partner will be involved soon.

YouKnowWho
05-29-2011, 11:07 AM
In striking art, you may learn solo first and 2 men later. In grappling art, you have to learn 2 men first. You can draw a point on the wall and pretend that's your opponent's head and punch/kick at it. You can't draw a human body on the wall and pretend that's the body you are wrestling with.

Ben Gash
05-29-2011, 11:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymfj1uVdE94

lkfmdc
05-29-2011, 08:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymfj1uVdE94

motion master is used to practice AFTER you have learned the positions and how they work

In addition, I need not remind you that Erik Paulson is a black belt in BJJ, has wrestling, sambo, shooto and judo training...

YouKnowWho
05-29-2011, 09:00 PM
You can use solo training to polish and memorize your skill "after" you have developed your skill but not before it.

If you are a virgin and never had sex experience before, pretending to have sex with your imaginary girl is not going to make you a "man".

Dragonzbane76
05-29-2011, 10:17 PM
You can use solo training to polish and memorize your skill "after" you have developed your skill but not before it.

I'll have to agree with this toward grappling.

Frost
05-30-2011, 03:19 AM
motion master is used to practice AFTER you have learned the positions and how they work

In addition, I need not remind you that Erik Paulson is a black belt in BJJ, has wrestling, sambo, shooto and judo training...

reminds me of the old burt richardson story when he met Yoshida and asked him how to get good at arm bars, Yoshida said he practised them a 100 times a day, next time he visited burt he saw him repping out the arm bars on a dummy and laughed and said no i rolled with 100 different guys and only tap them with arm bars.......no other way to get good at something in grappling than with a resisting partner ........of course non grapplers wont get that story:)

Violent Designs
05-31-2011, 01:56 PM
CMAs trying to catch a drift of the BJJ explosion. Nothing more.

Dragonzbane76
06-02-2011, 06:51 PM
The wind blows in a direction, people follow.