PDA

View Full Version : Best Wu Dip Dau for Wing Chun

wolf3001
05-28-2011, 08:40 PM
I will start by saying I have collected various blades from the time I was 9 or so. I have always liked many Chinese weapons yet I have found very very few quality combat functional weapons on the market. I got a pair of Leung Ting's Knives came in a box and look nice but they are really only for demo or practice use. The blades are thin and would never stand up to actual use and was never meant to have an edge. I have seen a few good blades out there but they were very expensive. I have not yet learned the use of the weapon myself but would like to have a pair of good functional ones. I have even thought about trying to get a custom pair made with a few of my own ideas I prefer a Bowie style blade.

Anyway I have seen a few antique Wu Dip Dau around here are a couple I found online. Does anyone know of anyone who makes quality blades that are not so decorative that they are out of the $300-$400 range. Also I don't know how many people know about the various shapes and things but these below are closest to Wing Chun style Wu Dip Dau the others I have seen are more for like Hung Gar such as the ones made by Cold Steel.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/wolf3001/DSC07470.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/wolf3001/DSC00010-1.jpg

Phil Redmond
05-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Wing Chun knives are called Baat Jam Do. The Wu Dip Do is a Southern Chinese weapon and is similar but not the same weapon. You can buy good knives here:
http://www.itg8.com/stamps/wushu/index9.html

wolf3001
05-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Wing Chun knives are called Baat Jam Do. The Wu Dip Do is a Southern Chinese weapon and is similar but not the same weapon. You can buy good knives here:

Just my opinion but I have always believed the weapons were called Wu Dip Dau and there are different variations such as blade styles and griping locations. Typically Wing Chun Wu Dip Dau have a grip in line with the back of the blade. However those I have seen in Hung Gar use grips that are centered below the blade. I have heard these called Ox Ear Knives.

Hu Die Shuang Dao, Niu Er Jin Dao or Wu Dip Dao.

I have always believed the name of our knife FORM not the weapon was called Baat Jarm Dau. If I remember correctly I think I heard the name 8 Slashing/cutting knives comes from 8 target points the wrists, elbows, shoulders and knees. Anyone have an alternate view point?

wolf3001
05-29-2011, 12:44 PM
The pointy end goes into the other guy.

Yes that would be the best way to use the weapon depending however on blade shape as many were made for cutting not thrusting. But what I need is a good pair that aren't made from aluminum or some other worthless material. Many are not made for actual use they look nice or they are light weight but were never intended to be sharpened or used to cut anything.

Phil Redmond
05-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Just my opinion but I have always believed the weapons were called Wu Dip Dau and there are different variations such as blade styles and griping locations. Typically Wing Chun Wu Dip Dau have a grip in line with the back of the blade. However those I have seen in Hung Gar use grips that are centered below the blade. I have heard these called Ox Ear Knives.

Hu Die Shuang Dao, Niu Er Jin Dao or Wu Dip Dao.

I have always believed the name of our knife FORM not the weapon was called Baat Jarm Dau. If I remember correctly I think I heard the name 8 Slashing/cutting knives comes from 8 target points the wrists, elbows, shoulders and knees. Anyone have an alternate view point?
If you're a student of Jerry Bolding your Sifu's Sifu who is also my Sifu calls the weapons Bat Jam Do. BTW, Since it's Southern weapon the Cantonese term would be "Do". Dau/Dao is Mandarin.

kowloonboy
05-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Wu Dip Dao.

Wu Dip Dao is Butterfly Knife in Cantonese. :)

Phil Redmond
05-29-2011, 02:43 PM
You can't put Woo Dip Do together to look like one weapon. You can with BJD. Also the knives in the link I supplied are availabe in 440 Steel or Damascus steel. I have a few pairs of them. I also have these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv_xH-yMPsA
:30 you can see how the two knives can be held as one. It would be difficult to that with a WDD.

wolf3001
05-29-2011, 02:57 PM
My understanding of BJD's unique qualities are as follows:

Bottom D Guard
Top L Guard
Single straight edge tapering to a point*
Shorter than your arm ("proper" length of blade - wrist to elbow)

There are many blades which have these qualities. Whether or not the handle attaches near the top edge, bottom edge or middle of the blade is of little relevance in application.

There are some Civil War Bowie Knives which have this exact configuration:

http://www.arms2armor.com/Knives/dguard1.jpg

*Some knives with this configuration also have a sharpened back tip, useful for back-cuts.

I say look around, don't restrict yourself to any particular nationality or culture, find a good blade that you like, and make it yours. Or, just **** it all and get a set of Cold Steel BJD. ;)

I would like to have a Bowie style blade and the back edge being sharpened a bit would be my choice. I like using a reverse hand cut many people miss that and get cut. The D guard Bowie knives usually don't have a guard that sweeps up as high as what a Wu Dip Dau would. I have thought about buying a couple blank Bowie blades but I have never done much knife making and I would need a guard that suits my needs. The Wing Chun knives I have seen always have a handle in line with the blade it may not seem like a big deal but depending on how you use them it may not feel right to some. To me these are a bit more compact because the guard doesn't have to come out as far. Some people flip these knives not really seen in most wing Chun schools however it is done in other Chinese arts and I like the handle position on our knives better if you plan to flip it around although I see little advantage. Wing Chun Baat Jarm Dau do not have a clip point blade. Few Wu Dip Dau I have seen have much of a point they look more like Machetes and are mainly for chopping or cutting. A few antiques I have seen like one I posted above had a blade capable of a good thrust. I like having a bit more thrusting capabilities and never cared much for how broad many Wu Dip Dau are.

wolf3001
05-29-2011, 03:39 PM
If you're a student of Jerry Bolding your Sifu's Sifu who is also my Sifu calls the weapons Bat Jam Do. BTW, Since it's Southern weapon the Cantonese term would be "Do". Dau/Dao is Mandarin.

Yeah I hate all the different Do, Dao, Dau there are to many languages in China and the majority of people speak Mandarin. After talking to a few people I was told even around Canton many people speak Mandarin and that it is widely spoke in Hong Kong.
Ignoring the 56 official minority languages spoken in mainland China, there are over a hundred dialects of Chinese. I also see the romanized spelling as Dao or Dau more than Do. Regardless the written language is the same.Just reading Butterfly is Wu Dip, Woo Deep or Hu Die I don't know anything about Cantonese. The blades have to my knowledge in Chinese arts been refereed to as Double or Twin Butterfly Knives. If I ever get the chance I would like to learn Cantonese but we don't have a large Chinese population most here are Vietnamese, Laotian or Burmese and surprisingly Master Jerry and his wife were the only ones teaching anything other than Karate. According to everyone I ever talked to or anything I have read people say to learn Mandarin because there are few Mandarin speakers who know both but a lot of Cantonese speakers speak Mandarin. Cantonese also seems harder from what I hear.

I did just recently buy a book that has not arrived yet. I ordered an English Chinese Dictionary it is supposed to have both Cantonese and Mandarin we will see. Honestly I can't always tell the difference im not familiar with the languages.

wolf3001
05-29-2011, 03:51 PM

Do you speak either of these languages? if so I am having a hell of a time finding anything that really shows a difference in the Mandarin or Cantonese pronunciation of Knife. This is leading me to believe the words regardless for Knife sounds about the same in both languages meaning the romanization of the word is more or less not important.

Wu Wei Wu
05-29-2011, 04:19 PM
The butterfly knife form from Hei Ban (Opera) Wing Chun is called "mui fah wu dip dao".

There isn't a singular expression of Wing Chun. Similarly, there isn't a singular way to reference the knife form(s).

Suki

Phil Redmond
05-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Hey, I know you speak Cantonese but knife is Do. Dao is Mandarin. ;)

Phil Redmond
05-29-2011, 05:59 PM
The butterfly knife form from Hei Ban (Opera) Wing Chun is called "mui fah wu dip dao".

There isn't a singular expression of Wing Chun. Similarly, there isn't a singular way to reference the knife form(s).

Suki
You could be right. Some people have said the Yip Man coined the phrase BJD.

Phil Redmond
05-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Yeah I hate all the different Do, Dao, Dau there are to many languages in China and the majority of people speak Mandarin. After talking to a few people I was told even around Canton many people speak Mandarin and that it is widely spoke in Hong Kong. I also see the romanized spelling as Dao or Dau more than Do. Regardless the written language is the same.Just reading Butterfly is Wu Dip, Woo Deep or Hu Die I don't know anything about Cantonese. The blades have to my knowledge in Chinese arts been refereed to as Double or Twin Butterfly Knives. If I ever get the chance I would like to learn Cantonese but we don't have a large Chinese population most here are Vietnamese, Laotian or Burmese and surprisingly Master Jerry and his wife were the only ones teaching anything other than Karate. According to everyone I ever talked to or anything I have read people say to learn Mandarin because there are few Mandarin speakers who know both but a lot of Cantonese speakers speak Mandarin. Cantonese also seems harder from what I hear.

I did just recently buy a book that has not arrived yet. I ordered an English Chinese Dictionary it is supposed to have both Cantonese and Mandarin we will see. Honestly I can't always tell the difference im not familiar with the languages.
I love Cantonese. It's more colorful and expressive. But I have to say that in these time it'd probably be better to learn Mandarin. I studied Cantonese in college because I was living in NYC. I moved to Detroit and many Chinese there spoke Fu Jau so I couldn't talk to them. But they did speak Mandarin. So had I know Mandarin I'd have been able to talk to them. Mandarin is also easier for Westerners since it only has 4 "musical" tones.
Cantonese however has 7 tones (according to the Yale University Romanization). So miss pronouncing a tone can cause you to insult someone though you didn't mean to.

kowloonboy
05-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Hey, I know you speak Cantonese but knife is Do. Dao is Mandarin. ;)

You are right Dao is Mandarin, but it can also be Cantonese if you pinch the speaker when s/he try to say Do. :p

Does the Cold Steel Knife feel and weight like a Wing Chun Knife? I am thinking of getting it too.

To the OP, thanks for creating this tread. I want to know the best functional Wing Chun Knife too. I got 7 Swords of different kinds, but no Wing Chun Knife yet. :)

wolf3001
05-29-2011, 08:58 PM
It is only my personal belief but the Butterfly Knives used in Wing Chun look better I just prefer them. I would have posted this earlier but wanted to space my stuff out a bit. I did some reading and found on another forum they had a discussion about the types of knives. Seems they agreed there are 2 different forms and it went something like this.

Wu Dip Dao or however you wish to say it are not the same as the blades with the handle in the center below the blade. These knives are a bit broader normally and have different weight. They are referred to as Bulls or Ox Ear Knives. They were talking about these and someone said although similar they are used a bit differently and for different forms. Wing Chun typically use the Wu Dip Dao in my opinion and others such as Hung Gar use the Ox Ear Knives. The Cold Steel Butterfly Knives are of the Ox Ear variety. Some said that the Ox Ear Knives usually have a flattened Guard but I don't know that it really matters. Im not sure there is really any defining difference with names or otherwise. I have been told that in Wing Chun we use the knives with the handles in line with the back of the blade and that the blade should not be longer than your fist and forearm so that it can pass between your arms and not touch the body while being rotated inward.

Butterfly Knives (Hu Die Shuang Dao, Butterfly Double Knives or Niu Er Jin Dao, Ox Ear Sharp Knives)

Phil Redmond
05-30-2011, 03:25 AM
It is only my personal belief but the Butterfly Knives used in Wing Chun look better I just prefer them. I would have posted this earlier but wanted to space my stuff out a bit. I did some reading and found on another forum they had a discussion about the types of knives. Seems they agreed there are 2 different forms and it went something like this.

Wu Dip Dao or however you wish to say it are not the same as the blades with the handle in the center below the blade. These knives are a bit broader normally and have different weight. They are referred to as Bulls or Ox Ear Knives. They were talking about these and someone said although similar they are used a bit differently and for different forms. Wing Chun typically use the Wu Dip Dao in my opinion and others such as Hung Gar use the Ox Ear Knives. The Cold Steel Butterfly Knives are of the Ox Ear variety. Some said that the Ox Ear Knives usually have a flattened Guard but I don't know that it really matters. Im not sure there is really any defining difference with names or otherwise. I have been told that in Wing Chun we use the knives with the handles in line with the back of the blade and that the blade should not be longer than your fist and forearm so that it can pass between your arms and not touch the body while being rotated inward.

Butterfly Knives (Hu Die Shuang Dao, Butterfly Double Knives or Niu Er Jin Dao, Ox Ear Sharp Knives)

When I see a statement saying or however you wish to say it I think why not do the research and say it properly. That's like saying drop some artillery somewhere over there. You might drop it on your own troops.
I wouldn't say look for something on that chair, table, door or however you wish to call it.
Do IS Cantonese. Dao IS Mandarin regardless of anyone's opinion. In English a table is a table not a chair regardless of how someone "wishes" to say it. ;)

k gledhill
05-30-2011, 07:43 AM

Wu Dip Dao or however you wish to say it are not the same as the blades with the handle in the center below the blade. These knives are a bit broader normally and have different wesight. They are referred to as Bulls or Ox Ear Knives. They were talking about these and someone said although similar they are used a bit differently and for different forms. Wing Chun typically use the Wu Dip Dao in my opinion and others such as Hung Gar use the Ox Ear Knives. The Cold Steel Butterfly Knives are of the Ox Ear variety. Some said that the Ox Ear Knives usually have a flattened Guard but I don't know that it really matters. Im not sure there is really any defining difference with names or otherwise. I have been told that in Wing Chun we use the knives with the handles in line with the back of the blade and that the blade should not be longer than your fist and forearm so that it can pass between your arms and not touch the body while being rotated inward.

The knives aren't rotated inside the arms....just a BTW. Nor do they use the same line/ wrist crossing idea of SLT.
One of the first basic actions one would learn with manipulation of knives is to rotate them at the same apex point keeping wrists touching.

wolf3001
05-30-2011, 03:02 PM
The knives aren't rotated inside the arms....just a BTW. Nor do they use the same line/ wrist crossing idea of SLT.
One of the first basic actions one would learn with manipulation of knives is to rotate them at the same apex point keeping wrists touching.

The butterfly sword is a weapon used primarily by martial artists of southern China. The blade length of the weapon is equal to the fist and the forearm, and a guard is fixed to its hilt to protect the hand. The special length of the blade is designed to allow for better maneuvering. For instance, if the blade is longer than the length of the fist and the arm, it could not be able to be rotated inside the arms. However, the shape of the butterfly sword and the way of its use differs in northern China. With the northern Chinese butterfly sword, the footwork of the user in kicking is stressed; but the butterfly swords in southern China are used chiefly in close-quarter fighting because of their short length, with emphasis placed on precision and the coordination of both swords at the same time. One modern adept of hung gar style, Wong Fei Hung, was especially noted for his skill with this weapon.

Im only speaking from the experience of my own school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke06luhv_nU&feature=related

wolf3001
05-30-2011, 03:31 PM
When I see a statement saying or however you wish to say it I think why not do the research and say it properly. That's like saying drop some artillery somewhere over there. You might drop it on your own troops.
I wouldn't say look for something on that chair, table, door or however you wish to call it.
Do IS Cantonese. Dao IS Mandarin regardless of anyone's opinion. In English a table is a table not a chair regardless of how someone "wishes" to say it. ;)

I did the research and what I found was that there is very little online about Cantonese could not find any info on the word knife. I am so used to seeing it spelled Dau or Dao that im stuck on it. I see it spelled both ways but far more often it's Dao. The way I see it Dao, Dau, Do is all correct if I say Butterfly Knives it's no less wrong. I don't fixate on Mandarin and Cantonese Southern or Northern. The Romanized spelling of Asian words is always different depending on the people using it I see everyone spells Wing Chun differently and it's become a way to differentiate each branch. I say it people understand what im trying to say most of the time my spelling and grammar are crap. I have tried a bit to learn Japanese they to have different notes that can change a word. Hashi can mean either chopsticks or bridge if you say it wrong. Do, Dau, Dao means the same thing in both languages and aren't to different. Taoism or Daoism different Romanization same word.

I have a book Kung Fu Elements in the book Wing Chun Kuen is Yong Chun Quan so it goes by Mandarin and has confused me a bit because some names seem way different. Again just now I always see Kuen and now I see it as kyun a different romanization. Im used to using Quan I sometimes use both but mostly I use Quan.

Phil Redmond
05-31-2011, 10:43 AM
I did the research and what I found was that there is very little online about Cantonese could not find any info on the word knife. I am so used to seeing it spelled Dau or Dao that im stuck on it. I see it spelled both ways but far more often it's Dao. The way I see it Dao, Dau, Do is all correct if I say Butterfly Knives it's no less wrong. I don't fixate on Mandarin and Cantonese Southern or Northern. The Romanized spelling of Asian words is always different depending on the people using it I see everyone spells Wing Chun differently and it's become a way to differentiate each branch. I say it people understand what im trying to say most of the time my spelling and grammar are crap. I have tried a bit to learn Japanese they to have different notes that can change a word. Hashi can mean either chopsticks or bridge if you say it wrong. Do, Dau, Dao means the same thing in both languages and aren't to different. Taoism or Daoism different Romanization same word.

I have a book Kung Fu Elements in the book Wing Chun Kuen is Yong Chun Quan so it goes by Mandarin and has confused me a bit because some names seem way different. Again just now I always see Kuen and now I see it as kyun a different romanization. Im used to using Quan I sometimes use both but mostly I use Quan.
In Cantonese Hai can be the verb 'to be', crab, shoe, vagina, a point in space. etc., depending on the tone used. Books are still available you know. Everything isn't online.
But to each his own. Where I live there is a large Cantonese community so I need to say things correctly. Where you live it probably doesn't matter.

kowloonboy
05-31-2011, 02:23 PM
I did the research and what I found was that there is very little online about Cantonese could not find any info on the word knife.

Knife in Cantonese, please click the "listen" button, then you will know how to pronounce it.
http://translate.google.com/#auto|zh-TW|knife

In Mandarin, click the "listen" button.
http://translate.google.com/#auto|zh-CN|knife

wolf3001
05-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Knife in Cantonese, please click the "listen" button, then you will know how to pronounce it.
http://translate.google.com/#auto|zh-TW|knife

In Mandarin, click the "listen" button.
http://translate.google.com/#auto|zh-CN|knife

Unless I did something wrong they are the same.

wolf3001
05-31-2011, 02:40 PM
In Cantonese Hai can be the verb 'to be', crab, shoe, vagina, a point in space. etc., depending on the tone used. Books are still available you know. Everything isn't online.
But to each his own. Where I live there is a large Cantonese community so I need to say things correctly. Where you live it probably doesn't matter.

I don't know anyone here who is Chinese im sure there are a few but I don't know who. I did order a book but it's not here yet and unlike the above a book wont say the words so you can hear them. We have Vietnamese, Laotians, Burmese and maybe a few other groups here but they tend to stick to themselves I had very few Asian friends and we didn't hang out much.

William Cheung joked when he came here that all the Chinese restaurants were ran by Vietnamese. My training buddy knows a guy who apparently is married to a Chinese woman but from the way I understand it she speaks Mandarin and I told him we should talk to her about it but he never has talked to her.

kowloonboy
05-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Unless I did something wrong they are the same.

Sorry I just noticed they are both Mandarin. :p

wolf3001
05-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Knife is Dou is Cantonese with more of an O sound Dao is Mandarin with more of an A. Do seems to have many meanings such as the word many all depending on the O. This book is a bit hard wish it was set up more like my Japanese Dictionary but it covers both Cantonese and Mandarin.

But "dou" is quicksand for the beginner. Depending where you place it and how you pitch it, it can mean here, there, where, more, how much, to, from, able to accomplish, able to reach, everybody, and also. It can also mean gamble and knife. Really, in Cantonese the dou is out of hand. I can remember concentrating intently on the conversations around me, struggling to separate dou from dou, wondering if I was ever going to figure it out and whether I was crazy for even trying.

http://www.slate.com/id/2106672/

Phil Redmond
05-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Do or Dou is Jyutping for Cantonese:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyutping

Dau or Dao is Pinyin for Mandarin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin

wolf3001
06-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Im hesitant to try and use a language program like my PC Japanese version. If I had one just like it I could possibly learn a bit but even Japanese is a bit tricky without someone around to teach you. I need to practice my Japanese more.

Phil Redmond
06-03-2011, 04:25 AM
Im hesitant to try and use a language program like my PC Japanese version. If I had one just like it I could possibly learn a bit but even Japanese is a bit tricky without someone around to teach you. I need to practice my Japanese more.
Maybe this will help you:
Cantonese:
http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/dictionary/

Japanese:
http://www.japanese-online.com/

LoneTiger108
06-03-2011, 05:50 AM
Does anyone know of anyone who makes quality blades that are not so decorative that they are out of the $300-$400 range. Also I don't know how many people know about the various shapes and things but these below are closest to Wing Chun style Wu Dip Dau the others I have seen are more for like Hung Gar such as the ones made by Cold Steel.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1259&bih=823&q=wing+chun+knife&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Just doing a Google image search comes up with so many variations of our knife it's a wonder any of us even talk to eachother!! :D

I feel that each individual will have variations in design as we all have our preferences, but rather than worry too much about the spelling if Dou/Dao, Wu Dip/Deep etc shouldn't we be trying to come to some sort of agreement about the actual construct of a Wing Chun knife??

I know my Uncle Joe Lees design (which was claimed as being Ip Mans original) looks like this, similar to the design exhibited in Ip Mans Hall in Foshan
http://www.progressivewingchunmk.co.uk/images/hk-wing-chun-butterfly-knives.jpg

I actually prefer this type :D
http://www.chinatown-shop.com/images/sl/print/arm_225.jpg

Phil Redmond
06-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Some are Damascus Steel:

Phil Redmond
06-03-2011, 11:22 AM
I have these and they will go through a car door:
http://www.coldsteel.com/butterflysword.html

Phil Redmond
06-03-2011, 11:33 AM
I use these made of particle board. They can take lots of punishment. They are perfect for sparring since you wont dismember or disembowel your sparring partner. :D

LoneTiger108
06-03-2011, 01:42 PM
I use these made of particle board. They can take lots of punishment. They are perfect for sparring since you wont dismember or disembowel your sparring partner. :D

Thanks for the links! Some serious blades right there, but I do like these wooden designs. Can they take the impact of the white wax wood stick??

I'm fascinated really by the variety available, as I've always had only two pairs :o But tell me. Out of all the knives you have held, which are your favourite? And which are 'perfect pairs' that fit together flush?

Man, I did love my blades...

Phil Redmond
06-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the links! Some serious blades right there, but I do like these wooden designs. Can they take the impact of the white wax wood stick??

I'm fascinated really by the variety available, as I've always had only two pairs :o But tell me. Out of all the knives you have held, which are your favourite? And which are 'perfect pairs' that fit together flush?

Man, I did love my blades...
I'm torn between the Cold Steel and the Damascus Steel blade of Sifu John Lee. I do have have to admit that I rarely use my Cold Steel for training which is a bad thing. You should always train lots with a weapon to get used to the feel/weight of it. If you make a mistake with the CS blades you are going to have a really bad gash. The Damascus blades have to be sharpened to your taste. Sifu Lee also teaches how to sharpen blades and he sell the proper kits to do so. My John Lee blades are slightly sharpened. The CS blades are SHARP.....lol

wolf3001
06-04-2011, 04:49 AM
I have been thinking of getting another plastic pair and then modifying the blade with a piece of PVC and foam insulation for sparring. I seen a few foam ones but the few I have seen were either not that great looking or they were really expensive.

wolf3001
06-04-2011, 04:54 AM
What do you think of these?

http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Wing-Chun-Butterfly-Sword-Stabber-12-D2-Sharp-p/-bjd-ewc-fs-s12-d2s.htm

k gledhill
06-04-2011, 07:49 AM
I have been thinking of getting another plastic pair and then modifying the blade with a piece of PVC and foam insulation for sparring. I seen a few foam ones but the few I have seen were either not that great looking or they were really expensive.

you can use shin/instep leg protectors along your hand and forearm too with metal blades, for metal to metal parrying ...

k gledhill
06-04-2011, 08:14 AM
it works , care must be taken, part of the lesson with knives....its dangerous.

k gledhill
06-04-2011, 08:26 AM
That kind of training does not allow for thrusting or real force.

It's misguided IMO.

It does bring a sense of danger to the training...one could use a hanging carcass for stabbing, hacking through bones if your determined to get that....

JamesC
06-04-2011, 09:19 AM
http://www.shocknife.com/

You guys should try and get them to make you one in Butterfly Sword form. That would be awesome. :cool:

Btw, i've trained with them. Nothing beats them, imo, for realistic knife training.

Phil Redmond
06-04-2011, 07:35 PM
What do you think of these?

http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Wing-Chun-Butterfly-Sword-Stabber-12-D2-Sharp-p/-bjd-ewc-fs-s12-d2s.htm
Ok, I just had to wipe my chin. I'm adding these to my collection. The fact that they are one piece makes them a good combat weapon.

kowloonboy
06-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Ok, I just had to wipe my chin. I'm adding these to my collection. The fact that they are one piece makes them a good combat weapon.

But compare to the Cold Steel knife, which one is better? Also I am looking at the Cold Steel Knife, but from your experience, does it feel like a real Wing Chun Knife, in terms of what the applications and performing the Wing Chun Knife form? If you say yes, I might get it. :p

Also is this any good? http://www.kwokwingchun.co.uk/merchandise/butterfly-knives-dao

wolf3001
06-05-2011, 12:15 AM

I like the shape of these my issue is cost and right now im broke..... These are probably going to be limited in number it seems they sell them and then do something else. I don't know much about Tool Steel but sounds like it would work. I prefer a thrusting point to the chopper styled blades because it seems to me a limitation. A few other nice blades I found were over $1000.