PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Ideas

JamesC
05-30-2011, 05:39 AM
I've been given 10 minutes at the start of every class for conditioning. I figure that if I keep it fast paced I can get a pretty good workout in for most people.

I'd like some suggestions on exercises that I might add to what we've already got. Is there anything in particular that you like in your class?

Brule
05-30-2011, 06:09 AM
I personally like burpees and rope jumping, they don't take too long to get yourself all hot and sweaty, but not sure if this is the type of stuff you're looking for.

Frost
05-30-2011, 08:25 AM
dont bother with 10 minutes about all you can do is break people down NOT build them up

YouKnowWho
05-30-2011, 11:56 AM
One drill that I like in the beginning of the class is

- your grab my wrists, I rotate my hands outside (or inside) to break your grip, and
- grab back on your wrist.
- You then repeat the same as I do.

Repeat this for 120 times.

sanjuro_ronin
05-30-2011, 12:10 PM
I've been given 10 minutes at the start of every class for conditioning. I figure that if I keep it fast paced I can get a pretty good workout in for most people.

I'd like some suggestions on exercises that I might add to what we've already got. Is there anything in particular that you like in your class?

What do you hope to accomplish in those 10 min?
How much do you want it to "eat into" the rest of the class?

David Jamieson
05-30-2011, 12:22 PM
I can say this.... a Tony Horton 10 minute trainer has more workout in it than what I have seen in some clubs that spend an hour doing their thing.

The thing about a club or a gym is that it needs to be directed for best effect.

If people are left to their own devices and not guided or led in these endeavours, especially the herd in the early on stage, then it will degrade and the work will suffer.

people left alone tend to socialize, roam around, get distracted, etc.

Work em hard, work em constant, work em logically and don't give them longer than 30 seconds to rest and if they aren't fit, ramp it down and get them to a point where they are fit.

viper
05-31-2011, 02:38 AM
BW (bodyweight) stuffany of it or partner stuff fast and hard. Shadow sparring. Yeh burpees awesome rope awesome no doubt. Sprints.

sanjuro_ronin
05-31-2011, 05:53 AM
I can say this.... a Tony Horton 10 minute trainer has more workout in it than what I have seen in some clubs that spend an hour doing their thing.

The thing about a club or a gym is that it needs to be directed for best effect.

If people are left to their own devices and not guided or led in these endeavours, especially the herd in the early on stage, then it will degrade and the work will suffer.

people left alone tend to socialize, roam around, get distracted, etc.

Work em hard, work em constant, work em logically and don't give them longer than 30 seconds to rest and if they aren't fit, ramp it down and get them to a point where they are fit.

You know, you never see that in other gyms like boxing gyms and MT gyms, what is it what TMA schools ??

Lucas
05-31-2011, 07:31 AM
You know, you never see that in other gyms like boxing gyms and MT gyms, what is it what TMA schools ??

hey, In those gyms people always come to Learn to fight...

David Jamieson
05-31-2011, 09:00 AM

actually dude, I do see that in virtually ALL types of ma schools.
It has everything to do with leadership.

People who go to a club MUST be led. That's why they are there. They cannot do it on their own, they have no motivation and no volition to do so and they come to have that delivered to them for their benefit.

I see a lot of floor sitting in mma gyms while some dude prattles on and then some work, then more prattling.

I see a lot of floor sitting and sub par philo blah blah in TKD schools, karate schools, aikido, bjj, jj...you name it.

And trust me when I say you will find a huge amount of slackers in a boxing gym.
There will be maybe 6 guys that are actually INTO it and most everyone else is there for the t-shirt. same as most public ma schools. I do not think it is only tcma schools that are like this, it is all schools.

the best leadership and consistency is actually in the closed clubs where people are determined and want to be there and sacrifice more than just a few bucks a month for using the facilities.

as far as consistency and discipline go, I gotta give it to the yoga studios out there. lol, No, I'm not kidding. Your workout is their warmup quite often.

also crossfit gyms are pretty decent in the peoples out put.

martial artists for the most part are not at that level except in the elite sport models of ma.

sanjuro_ronin
05-31-2011, 09:37 AM
actually dude, I do see that in virtually ALL types of ma schools.
It has everything to do with leadership.

People who go to a club MUST be led. That's why they are there. They cannot do it on their own, they have no motivation and no volition to do so and they come to have that delivered to them for their benefit.

I see a lot of floor sitting in mma gyms while some dude prattles on and then some work, then more prattling.

I see a lot of floor sitting and sub par philo blah blah in TKD schools, karate schools, aikido, bjj, jj...you name it.

And trust me when I say you will find a huge amount of slackers in a boxing gym.
There will be maybe 6 guys that are actually INTO it and most everyone else is there for the t-shirt. same as most public ma schools. I do not think it is only tcma schools that are like this, it is all schools.

the best leadership and consistency is actually in the closed clubs where people are determined and want to be there and sacrifice more than just a few bucks a month for using the facilities.

as far as consistency and discipline go, I gotta give it to the yoga studios out there. lol, No, I'm not kidding. Your workout is their warmup quite often.

also crossfit gyms are pretty decent in the peoples out put.

martial artists for the most part are not at that level except in the elite sport models of ma.

Fair enough.
To be honest I rarely pay attention to what others do when I hit the gym, but from the boxing gyms that I have frequented ( Like Sully's) and the MT and MMA gyms, typically you will see lots of guys doing their own S&C.
But then again that was awhile ago, so...

Dragonzbane76
05-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Our school spends about 30 min. on conditioning. But it's tight roped, structured, higher impact. If a person cannot keep up then they step back and catch their breath or do a lesser version of what we are performing.

agree with you on this one.

The one thing i cannot stand during cardio/conditioning is dead space. Nothing going on or people standing around. We try to keep it all inclusive while keeping a lighter atmosphere.

Iron_Eagle_76
06-01-2011, 07:18 AM
the best leadership and consistency is actually in the closed clubs where people are determined and want to be there and sacrifice more than just a few bucks a month for using the facilities

This.

You always hear about these insane training methods and hardcore atmospheres at boxing, kickboxing, and MMA gyms. The truth is, you have the few that are dedicated and but 100 percent into everything and the others who are there for bragging rights, T shirt, impress girls, (insert lame reason) like what DJ said.

You certainly have to have structure in a class, an outline of items to be worked, and how much time you will have to teach, practice, break, and practice again. Before each class I teach I make an outline and try to follow it to a T, that way I know my students are busting their a**ss but I am giving time to explain and coach on how it is done. But it comes down to the individual and the dedication and hard work they put in as to what they acheive.

Darthlawyer
06-01-2011, 03:56 PM
If you are just doing 10 minutes, I'd rotate some basic body-weight based exercises. The standard pushups, sit ups, up and down squats. You can rotate in frog jumps, finger tip pushups, drunken style back of the wrist pushups, v-sit squats, i chin ching, single leg squats or other similar exercises based upon how advanced your class is.

I'm a fan of working on something that people couldn't do previously. If you have a group of people who can't do a free-standing single-leg squat, work on some with a wall or other support until some can actually do it. Pick a couple of exercises and use them every class for a month or two so that students can check their improvement. Hopefully, after that the student will continue on their own time.

taai gihk yahn
06-01-2011, 04:49 PM

hindu squats, burpees (which we used to call squat thrusts, lol), divebombers, mountain climbers, jacknives, frog hops, duck walks, front and side planks are all nice way to get a lot of bang for ur buck, if short on time;

but more to the point, I'd ask, why on earth are u doing conditioning at the beginning of class? that really makes no sense, since the point is to work to fatigue, and rest after - logically, it should be a warm-up, then drilling technique, forms, sparing, whatever u do etc., and then condition at the end (or, more ideally, at a different time as its own seperate activity, but that's logistical) - otherwise u hav people practicing technical stuff when they are tired, which makes no sense, except for people who have already learned stuff well and are now drilling it into the fatigue zone so that they can learn how to preserve structure and technical integrity even when tired;

JamesC
06-02-2011, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

My intention for the time being is to get people's footwork better. We incorporate a LOT of basic boxing and I can tell that none of these guys are including agility drills into their training.

So i'm thinking about doing a lot of plyometric stuff to help with it for now, but we'll see.

TGY, thanks. I hadn't really given it much though, tbh. I'll run it by my instructor and see if he'll let me do it at the end of class. It really does make a lot more sense...

Frost
06-02-2011, 04:57 AM
TGY makes some good points, I know more than a few grappling coaches that include hard conditioning at the start so people are too tired to muscle things and use technique more in the actual lesson, but I know a lot more who think the same way as he does (and I agree with him) tired people make mistakes and its not a good state to learn in

The usual training most sports coaches have there guys do is is warm up, explosive work/ speed work, strength work, conditioning at the end

Applied to MAs it would be warm up, explosive work whilst fresh, technique work and conditioning at the end

What foot work drills are you thinking of using, ladders…skipping? If you want to improve a skill like footwork than its probably best to do this at the start, keep it relatively easy skipping or ladder drills with short rounds focusing on technique and explosiveness, not B*lls to the wall, if its conditioning you want then move it to the end, but just remember if they don’t have good footwork now and you push them in the conditioning form will go to pot

donbdc
06-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Steve Maxwell has some great stuff for this! I love Kettle bell swings or Turkish Get ups. 10 minutes of either is very effective for cardio, strength training and joint mobility. Which if done properly will increase the fitness of your students and hopefully prevent some injuries.

Don Berry DC RKC

sanjuro_ronin
06-02-2011, 07:15 AM
hindu squats, burpees (which we used to call squat thrusts, lol), divebombers, mountain climbers, jacknives, frog hops, duck walks, front and side planks are all nice way to get a lot of bang for ur buck, if short on time;

but more to the point, I'd ask, why on earth are u doing conditioning at the beginning of class? that really makes no sense, since the point is to work to fatigue, and rest after - logically, it should be a warm-up, then drilling technique, forms, sparing, whatever u do etc., and then condition at the end (or, more ideally, at a different time as its own seperate activity, but that's logistical) - otherwise u hav people practicing technical stuff when they are tired, which makes no sense, except for people who have already learned stuff well and are now drilling it into the fatigue zone so that they can learn how to preserve structure and technical integrity even when tired;

Go talk crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here !

wenshu
06-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

My intention for the time being is to get people's footwork better. We incorporate a LOT of basic boxing and I can tell that none of these guys are including agility drills into their training.

So i'm thinking about doing a lot of plyometric stuff to help with it for now, but we'll see.

TGY, thanks. I hadn't really given it much though, tbh. I'll run it by my instructor and see if he'll let me do it at the end of class. It really does make a lot more sense...

Aside from the fact that you can't really do jack sh*t in ten minutes.

You train Thai boxing right? Don't you guys do the whole burpees > line drill >burpees circuits?

10-20 burpees then footwork drills the length of the gym and back (Cross step, side step, lunges, frog jumps, alternating knees, leg check drills etc) then 10-20 burpees or push ups, air squats, planks for time whatever. Wash, rinse, repeat, Mr. Creosote.

Even the most unconditioned among you should be able to knock out at least 2-3 circuits in ten minutes.

taai gihk yahn
06-02-2011, 07:42 AM
Go talk crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here !

sorry, I had some surplus on hand I wanted to get rid of...:o

JamesC
06-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Well, here's the skinny...

I've been asked to do this because of my muay thai training. It isn't actually the muay thai class that i'll be doing the conditioning in. If it was up to me it there would be a LOT more boxing, shadow boxing, sparring, etc.

As it stands, i'm thinking it is more of a trial to see if he wants to keep doing it. It is a favor, really, because the instructor fudged up his knee and can't do much. All of the guys senior students moved away and he's only left with a few green guys.

I'm sure that i'll eventually be able to do a lot more conditioning and drills, but I have to show him something he thinks is worth keeping. Also, it is a traditional school that i'm new in, and most of my training isn't. Just wanted to see if there were any exercises you guys favored for this type of stuff.

I'll most likely end up doing a lot of burpees and similar stuff from my muay thai training.

sanjuro_ronin
06-02-2011, 08:07 AM
If you want to warm up and get the blood going for the real workout then do just that and 10 min is just fine for that.
The MEAT of your conditioning should be "sport specific", in other words, you will get better conditioning to do MT if you do MT for 40 min than if you do anything else for 40 min.
Leave the "general conditioning" to the end for that extra "BOOYAHKASHA !!"
Leave them panting and puking at the end, that always makes people happy.

Doing a circuit of burpees, sit ups, push ups, squats, squats jumps or whatever the else you wanna do for the first 10 min is just fine.

When you have 15 min left hit them with 10 min of "**** you in the mouth" cardio conditioning and finish with 5 min or so of cool down and make sure those asholes do some static stretches at the end.
**** suckers !

taai gihk yahn
06-02-2011, 09:46 AM
just remember, from a political perspective, don't shine your light too brightly - ur instructor is probably bummed out enough as it is w his knees being shot - he may get resentful if your part of the class is "too good" (not saying he will, but human nature is human nature, and the whole "two tigers on one mountain" thing is a reality);

just to consider, it may not actually apply here...

JamesC
06-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Thank TGY.

My biggest concern is that I end up teaching something that doesn't jive with his teaching. I'm just wanting to do my best with the 10 minutes i've been given and keep it simple for now.

Brule
06-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Hey,

I just figured it out, JamesC, you're the guy that rolled into MK's class and got poked in the eye? No you takin your act somewhere else.....:eek: