PDA

View Full Version : Krav Maga Principle similar to Wing Chun?

kowloonboy
05-30-2011, 11:06 AM
I have been reading about Krav Maga's Principle, and it has some similarity to Wing Chun.

Krav Maga's general principles include:

Counter attacking as soon as possible (or attacking preemptively).
Targeting attacks to the body's most vulnerable points such as the eyes, jaw, throat, groin, knee etc.
Neutralizing the opponent as quickly as possible by responding with an unbroken stream of counter attacks and if necessary a take down/joint break.
Maintaining awareness of surroundings while dealing with the threat in order to look for escape routes, further attackers, objects that could be used to defend or help attack and so on.

In a nutshell, the basic fighting principles are that every self defence response must meet all of the following criteria:

In the given situation, the defence or attack must be

the fastest
the strongest
the shortest
the most natural
and to the point (for instance, if you mean to escape, escape;
if you mean to hit, hit).

Do you think there are some similarity to Wing Chun? Or am I just thinking too much. :)

Phil Redmond
05-30-2011, 11:32 AM
I have been reading about Krav Maga's Principle, and it has some similarity to Wing Chun.

Krav Maga's general principles include:

Counter attacking as soon as possible (or attacking preemptively).
Targeting attacks to the body's most vulnerable points such as the eyes, jaw, throat, groin, knee etc.
Neutralizing the opponent as quickly as possible by responding with an unbroken stream of counter attacks and if necessary a take down/joint break.
Maintaining awareness of surroundings while dealing with the threat in order to look for escape routes, further attackers, objects that could be used to defend or help attack and so on.

In a nutshell, the basic fighting principles are that every self defence response must meet all of the following criteria:

In the given situation, the defence or attack must be

the fastest
the strongest
the shortest
the most natural
and to the point (for instance, if you mean to escape, escape;
if you mean to hit, hit).

Do you think there are some similarity to Wing Chun? Or am I just thinking too much. :)

We have an Israeli soldier training at the NJ school. He was/is in some sort of special forces. Anyway some years ago he invited Keith Mazza to go to Israel to teach some Krav Maga people. So who knows?

trubblman
05-30-2011, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=kowloonboy;1099976]I have been reading about Krav Maga's Principle, and it has some similarity to Wing Chun.

There are many fighting styles with some similarity to VT.

kowloonboy
05-30-2011, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=kowloonboy;1099976]I have been reading about Krav Maga's Principle, and it has some similarity to Wing Chun.

There are many fighting styles with some similarity to VT.

Please point me to other fighting styles with similarity principle to Wing Chun. I want to learn more. Thanks. :)

Vajramusti
05-30-2011, 01:13 PM
I

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good wing chun has little to do with Krav Maga.

joy chaudhuri

trubblman
05-30-2011, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE=trubblman;1099986]

Please point me to other fighting styles with similarity principle to Wing Chun. I want to learn more. Thanks. :)

Southern Praying Mantis, Bak Mei, White Crane and Chu Gar Kung Fu all have some similarity to Ving Tsun. The principles you just outlined are common to many chinese martial arts. A lot of the principles come from the Art of War.

Eric_H
05-30-2011, 02:10 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good wing chun has little to do with Krav Maga.

joy chaudhuri

I'm with Joy on this one.

TenTigers
05-31-2011, 08:07 AM
Krav Maga seems more likely to have come from kenpo. Ed Parker did have exchange with Bruce Lee, so you might see some similarities stemming from that.
Saying that SPM, Bak Mei Wing Chun etc share similarities because they were influenced by Art of War is not as accurate as the more likely conclusion that the Hakka and Fukien White Crane/WCK are related and share the same source.

wenshu
05-31-2011, 08:15 AM
What do you Wing Chun and Krav Maga have in common?

Soccer moms.

YouKnowWho
05-31-2011, 12:09 PM
There is a difference between "cup 1/2 full" and "cup 1/2 empty" attitude. If we always look at the difference, we intend to reject each other. If we look at the similiarity, we can learn from each other.

The WC

- Tan Shou is similiar to Taiji Peng.
- Fu Shou is similiar to mantis Diao Shou.
- Bong Shou is simpliar to MT elbow strike.
- stance is simpliar to Okinawan Karate Sanchin stance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl61Q0b7vRU

Vajramusti
05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=YouKnowWho;1100145]
The WC

----------------------------
-------er, no

joy

k gledhill
05-31-2011, 05:33 PM
There is a difference between "cup 1/2 full" and "cup 1/2 empty" attitude. If we always look at the difference, we intend to reject each other. If we look at the similiarity, we can learn from each other.

The WC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl61Q0b7vRU

I agree with Joy [not often] er, no , but we all have arms 'n' legs, that's where the similarities end and the kaleidoscope of the mind games begin....:D

wingchunIan
06-01-2011, 01:53 AM
I think that you'd struggle to find any non sporting art / style / system that didn't have the same principles (even if they are in different words) as a core, with maybe the exception of restraint systems for those who aren't allowed to hurt an assailant too much. The differences come not so much in the what as in the how. It is how to counter attack, how to hit the vulnerable points etc that are normally the difference between approaches

wolf3001
06-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Some of the blocking methods are similar I own a book and in it they show techniques that are very similar to Biu Sau, Gan Sau and I know there was a few more but can't think what it was.