PDA

View Full Version : You just can't fix stupid

BJJ-Blue
06-01-2011, 01:45 PM
"Austin school district officials changed Johnston High School's name, redesigned its approach to teaching the curriculum and were required to replace more than three-quarters of its faculty, but it appears the campus, which has struggled for years to meet state academic standards, again will rank among Austin's most troubled schools.

More than 29 percent of students at what's now Eastside Memorial Green Tech High School at the Johnston Campus will be ineligible to graduate next week after failing state-mandated exit exams.

Overall, 92 percent of Austin students passed the exit-level Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills, which matches the statewide average, according to figures released Thursday. The numbers varied from school to school: 21 percent of seniors from Reagan and LBJ high schools failed to pass; the highest exit-level passing rate, 100 percent, came from the Liberal Arts and Science Academy .

Students must pass all four parts of the exit-level exam, and pass their classes, to receive a diploma from Texas public schools. Students had five chances, beginning their junior year, to pass the exams before graduation, but 194 Austin students did not pass one test, and 117 needed two or more tests, district documents show. In all, 33 Eastside students didn't pass in time for graduation, although they can continue to test to get their diplomas.

Austin school district officials didn't respond to repeated requests for more information or comment Thursday."

Source: (complete article)
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/some-austin-students-struggle-to-meet-graduation-requirements-1501315.html

There was also a news story on this topic as well. One of the things it showed was the failing rate of all Austin schools. For a comparison, I went to 2 different high schools in my day and both are still open. Their failure rates were 2% and 4%.

But what it also showed shocked me. This failing school is yet again on the chopping block to be closed (It's actually been that way every year the past few years), but parents were out protesting to keep it open! And yes, they even had a community organizer there saying this school was important to the community. Are these people retarded? They are fighting to keep a school open that is robbing their kids of a quality education. How can anyone be so stupid to demand the Government keep a failing school open for their kids to attend instead of demanding their kids get sent to a good school? To me, this may well be the epitome of ignorance and stupidity.

bawang
06-01-2011, 02:49 PM
i bet it has a big footbawl stadium

WOOBWOOBWOOB

BJJ-Blue
06-02-2011, 06:50 AM
I don't think they even have a team. Considering their smaller student population and the fact we have 'Dont pass, dont play' in Texas, I don't even think they have a football team.