PDA

View Full Version : comparison of training question -

MightyB
06-03-2011, 07:22 AM
What is it the kyokushin guys do so that they can still be traditional (using traditional techniques) yet be bad arse mo fos in the ring? And are there strategies and training methodologies that they do that we could incorporate in traditional kung fu?

I know sanjuro has experience with this - so...

lkfmdc
06-03-2011, 07:26 AM
What is it the kyokushin guys do so that they can still be traditional (using traditional techniques) yet be bad arse mo fos in the ring? And are there strategies and training methodologies that they do that we could incorporate in traditional kung fu?

I know sanjuro has experience with this - so...

Isn't what you do, it is HOW you do it

they hit bags and pads, they spar, they compete

Depending upon the lineage, some hardly do kata anymore

Iron_Eagle_76
06-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Since I have never trained in kyukushin I'm not going to speak from a first hand view, but from what I have read Oyama got fed up with the light contact non sparring version of karate Funokoshi had turned it into. He began stressing full contact knock down style karate in place of kata, point fighting, and other such garbage.

After getting their asses handed to them by the Thais, Oyama also began to adapt some of their training methods, which are still used. All stand up arts that hit bags, pads, and spar full contact end up looking the same. It is what works. Also, if I am wrong on the kyukushin description and someone who has trained the art and knows can give better detail, do by all means.

lkfmdc
06-03-2011, 07:39 AM
After getting their asses handed to them by the Thais, Oyama also began to adapt some of their training methods,

understatement ;):p

some became "kickboxers", others kept the gi and the "tradition" but trained the same way....

bawang
06-03-2011, 07:49 AM
instead of trying to learn muay thai, all he had to do is wear ear plugs to the fight.

Iron_Eagle_76
06-03-2011, 09:32 AM
instead of trying to learn muay thai, all he had to do is wear ear plugs to the fight.

Muay Thai is pure crap compared to Wombat Combat, there, I said it!:p:D

David Jamieson
06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/Combat+Wombat/