PDA

View Full Version : Information about Sifu Brian Eble/Golden Mountain Kung Fu?

Tyrant171
06-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Hey all,

Sorry to be a bother, but I'm looking for information about a sifu named Brian Eble. He ran Golden Mountain Kung Fu in Naperville, IL until, it looks like, about a couple years ago. Supposedly he taught traditional Long Fist with an emphasis on fighting. I'm looking to get into Kung Fu and I really wanted to check out his school, but the number has been disconnected and I can't find any updated information. So...

Has anyone here heard of Brian Eble and/or Golden Mountain Kung Fu in Naperville, IL? If so, do you know what happened to the school? Did Brian Eble open a new one? Is there a new number to call?

I realize that the chances of anyone here having information about this are almost non-existent, but I figured it's worth a try.

Also, even if you don't know anything about this sifu or the school, can you suggest any good Kung Fu schools near Naperville, IL or otherwise in the western Chicago suburbs?

Thanks!

RD'S Alias - 1A
06-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Last I heard he was planning on opening his hand again.

Brian Eble is a top notch Kung Fu player. He's got the goods, that is for sure. I am currently training under an equally talented freind of his who has daily contact with him. I will ask for you.

RD

Mas Judt
06-07-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm a friend of Brian's. You are correct, he is a talented martial artists and once ran a great fighting kung fu school called Golden Mountain. But he is no longer teaching. If he starts teaching again, I'll post an announcement here.

RD'S Alias - 1A
06-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Hmmm, that sux.

I don't have a school persay, but I do teach privately in the area.

Tyrant171
06-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks so much for the responses! I really wasn't expecting any luck with such an obscure thread. :)

I'm very disappointed to hear that he's not currently teaching...but my quest for quality kung fu instruction must go on! Do you guys know of any good kung fu schools in the area that are currently in operation? I'm in Bolingbrook, but I'm willing to drive.

Bei Dou Kung Fu is close (in Naperville), but I took a free lesson there and it seems to be pretty much all non-practical, performance-based wushu. The more skilled students were impressive to watch...but it seemed like just a lot of flash.

So, any suggestions on quality schools?

Mas Judt
06-07-2011, 06:26 PM
PM me your contact info and I'll give you a call.

Tyrant171
06-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Sent. Thanks

Shaolindynasty
06-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Traditional kung fu school that focuses on practical combat application in chicago

www.NgFamilyMartialArts.com

this is the youtube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/straightblast5#p/u

I live in kankakee IL and make the trip to train here every weekend for the last 10 yrs. Absoulutly worth it. I have a school in bourbonnais IL

videos from my school

http://www.youtube.com/user/K3hungsing

Tyrant171
06-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the link! That school looks, honestly, very awesome. :)

Your school looks great as well. Those little dudes have fire in their eyes...I can see it.

Do you take both the Choy Lay Fut and Ving Tsun classes at Ng Family Martial Arts? Also, what's the price structure for classes? Thanks for any info!

Traditional kung fu school that focuses on practical combat application in chicago

www.NgFamilyMartialArts.com

this is the youtube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/straightblast5#p/u

I live in kankakee IL and make the trip to train here every weekend for the last 10 yrs. Absoulutly worth it. I have a school in bourbonnais IL

videos from my school

http://www.youtube.com/user/K3hungsing

Shaolindynasty
06-09-2011, 04:23 AM
I practice Choy Lay Fut but have also cross trained in Ving Tsun for a short time. Most people there practice one or the other as they find either meets their needs but both are available if you'd want to learn them. Sifu prefers if you begin with one until at least 6 months before doing both. I think the current rate is $200 for 3 months unlimited classes but you may want to email him directly to find out.

Tyrant171
06-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Gotcha, thanks! Wow, $200 for 3 months is very reasonable...bordering on cheap. But I'll definitely call or e-mail to make sure about the price.

One more thing...do you take any sanda classes there? If I were to train Choy Lay Fut to start, would I be able to take sanda classes concurrently? Or is sanda treated more like a separate discipline to be learned later if desired (a la Ving Tsun)?

Sorry for the questions, but this is the first promising school I've seen in my search so far. :D

Shaolindynasty
06-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Yes I do train sanda. sanda training is open to everyone that wants to do it and encouraged.

Royal Dragon
06-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Gotcha, thanks! Wow, $200 for 3 months is very reasonable...bordering on cheap. But I'll definitely call or e-mail to make sure about the price.

One more thing...do you take any sanda classes there? If I were to train Choy Lay Fut to start, would I be able to take sanda classes concurrently? Or is sanda treated more like a separate discipline to be learned later if desired (a la Ving Tsun)?

Sorry for the questions, but this is the first promising school I've seen in my search so far. :D

There is also the Westmont branch of the Shaolin Temple. They have a Sanda program as well. It's right in downtown Westmont.

From Bollingbrook you'd take 55 to Cass, go North till you cross the tracks. It's right there, about midway on the block.

This is the demo from thier Grand opening a few years ago. They don't show thier sanda program here, but you can see the caliber of the coaches for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZg670nlXDA

This is a extension of the Shaolin Temple branch in Chicago, and some of the Monks from there were here helping with the demos.

34 North Cass Avenue
Westmont, IL 60559-1660
(630) 434-1368

Tyrant171
06-10-2011, 12:30 PM
There is also the Westmont branch of the Shaolin Temple. They have a Sanda program as well. It's right in downtown Westmont.

Thanks, Royal Dragon.

Do you train there or have you just heard about it? Either way, do you know if they have a class schedule posted anywhere online? There's a schedule for the main Chicago temple on the main website...but I can't find anything for Westmont. Thanks again!

Royal Dragon
06-10-2011, 07:46 PM
I don't train there. I used to live not too far from it in Westmont. I did an introductory class, and another time I compared my 32 posture Tai Tzu Chang Chuan with thiers. I have socialized with a couple of thier guys here and there. I was at the Grand opening for example.

I was actually hoping to get involved with thier sanda class, but life got in the way.

They are a good school as far as I can tell, and they have serious talent. They seem to exchange instructors with he Chicago branch regularly, so it's not just one Monk. There are several going in and out that come from the Shaolin Temple in China.

In our area, if you are not going to hook up with guys from the Kuntao/Silat club, this is the best school around. Although if you can, I'd work the Kuntao Silat AND the Shaolin sanda program. You will build both modern, and old school Shaolin that way, as the Kuntao is ancient Shaolin preserved in Indonesia. They are rich with applications I generally don't see elsewhere, for the moves found in Kung Fu forms.

Shaolindynasty
06-11-2011, 08:45 AM
That westmont school is closed

Royal Dragon
06-11-2011, 09:07 AM
I drove by there 2 days ago. They looked open to me.

Tyrant171
06-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Wow, if the Westmont school is closed that was really fast.

Royal Dragon
06-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Check it out. See if the rumor is true. I was there 4 days ago (I have a PO Box near by), and they sure looked open. Lights were on, all the signs in the windows were there. I even saw the weapons rack as I drove past. If they were closed, the weapons would be gone if nothing else.

I saw No reason to think they were not open.

Shaolindynasty
06-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I was told that about 2 months ago when I was at their main location

Royal Dragon
06-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I will be by that way Wednesday or Thursday. I will stop by and see what I can find out.

Tyrant171
06-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks, Royal Dragon. Please post what you find.

Royal Dragon
06-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Well, I stand corrected.

I stopped by today. It looks like everything is gone but the sign. There is some sort of comic/collector card place setting up shop in the location now.

When I passed by a few weeks ago (maybe longer actually) they must have been closed and just not fully cleared out yet.

The collector card guy said he took over several weeks ago.

So I am a bit bummed out now. I was thinking of maybe taking thier sanshou class this winter.

Tyrant171
06-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the update, RD.

I actually went and checked out Ng Family Martial Arts last weekend and I really dug it. Talked to one of the senior pupils and the sifu...everyone was super awesome. I'm gonna start up there this week.

Shaolindynasty
06-19-2011, 06:38 AM
I actually went and checked out Ng Family Martial Arts last weekend and I really dug it. Talked to one of the senior pupils and the sifu...everyone was super awesome. I'm gonna start up there this week.

Awesome! welcome aboard:cool:

Tyrant171
06-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks! Hopefully I'll see you there sometime.

Shaolindynasty
06-20-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm usually around on saturdays

Royal Dragon
06-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the update, RD.

I thought you were in Naperville?

Tyrant171
06-20-2011, 11:34 AM
I am, but I commute to Chicago during the week and the school is on my way.

Royal Dragon
06-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Ahh, gotchya.

I was going to ask you to PM me your contact info. One of my Kuntao Silat brothers is looking to take on a student in Bollingbrook.

I don't really know anyone else out this way who has quality, Chinese based traditional fighting.There is more authentic stuff in the city.

Ng Family Martial Arts is one of the better of the area schools. They have a good reputation, and they turn out a lot of very skilled guys.

I have crossed hands a bit with Shaolindynasty, before he trained there, and he was very skilled even then. You are definitely in good hands.

Tyrant171
06-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks, RD.

I would've preferred something in the suburbs, but it just didn't seem like it was gonna happen. Cross your fingers that I can maintain the willpower to regularly attend class right after a crappy day at work. :D

Royal Dragon
06-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Just focus on getting there, and walking in the door. Don't think about the class. Once you are there, it will take care of itself.

When it comes to after work training, I have found being close to work is best because you are not further exhausted by a long smog filled drive home. What little motivation you did have, is snuffed out by the driving stress. If the school is close to work, you still have enough get up and go to at least get through the door. Then the energy of the environment will carry you the rest of the way.

Tyrant171
06-21-2011, 09:07 PM
All great points, RD. I really won't get a chance to wind down before so it should make for an easy transition.

rogerclf1
07-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Yeah, you will definitely get solid training with the Ng family. I have been training there for about 5 years(off and on) and it is great. The amount of power and skill I have gained is immense. I too travel there from Bolingbrook/Romeoville and sometimes I don't feel like making the drive, but once I get there I feel fine. Good luck, you are in good hands.

Royal Dragon
07-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Since you two are close to eachother, you should probably try to hook up once a week to train.

XinKuzi
07-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Tyrant171, I am in the western suburbs... not too far from Naperville. PM me if you would ever like to get together to train. It is always nice to have people close to home to train with in between classes, even if they study different styles.

Also, my friend is starting an 8 week introductory Yang style Tai chi course in Naperville by request. I believe it starts today (Tue the 12th) or Saturday. If you or anyone you know is interested, please PM me. He will continue to teach people after the 8 weeks if anyone has the heart for it.

rogerclf1
07-12-2011, 02:04 PM
yeah we can get together to train once in a while. But I am not an instructor or anything and you should definitely go check out the Ng Family. But to do a little side training, that would be cool.

longfist40
08-30-2011, 02:33 PM
I was with Brian for the last 10 years before he closed the doors. He is a very talented practical martial artist. In my 30 years of Martial arts experience including Kuntao Silat, the best stuff was taught to me by Brian.

A small group of us regulars (old timers) from Golden Mountain have continued to get together 1-2 times a week since Brian stopped teaching. We each were with Brian 10 years or longer and have experience going back an average of 25 years per man.

Recently I have been discussing the possibility of teaching privately with the guys and we are considering taking on an occassional student into our group or individually on the side. In addition, Brian does occassionally make an appearance and is always a welcome sight as he always has something brilliant to add.

We practice traditional Longfist, shai ciao, modified Yang Tai chi (Chen flavor). Everything we do from warm ups to forms, weapons and ultimately free fighting is focused on practical realistic applications.

I would be happy to talk to you if you're interested. We work out in Naperville weekly and occassionally in Bolingbrook and Romeoville.
You can email me at longfist40@gmail.com.