PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning and taking blows

Mr. Nemo
04-28-2001, 11:04 PM
I saw someone mention on the internal arts board that part of his training was cardio-style conditioning that allowing him to take more hits and keep fighting.

Now, I understand that cardio allows you to fight longer and harder and so on, but is it in any way possible to condition your "chin"? Aside from learning what it feels like to get hit, will a lot of endurance training allow you to take hits to the head and not get dazed or KO'd or anything? The guy on the internal arts board didn't claim his training did this, but I've seen people say this in other places, that such and such was able to take all those hits to the head because of "superior conditioning" (most of these related to boxing in some way).

Is this possible?

joedoe
04-29-2001, 03:05 AM
Well, from what I understand (and I am no expert) but you can get used to getting hit in the head. I guess this is considered conditioning. However, a good solid blow to the head in the right place will probably knock most people out regardless of conditioning - simple physical reaction I guess.

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

Can-O-Bud
04-29-2001, 09:44 AM
I posted a thread about this topic before.

I really am of the opinion that you shouldnt take too many blows to the head. My instructor always said this too.

I'm sure you can condition yourself to take hits and keep on fighting, but how long can you do this for? What if you've trained every week for 20 years?

What are the lasting effects?

"My twa boab"

SevenStar
05-01-2001, 09:08 AM
I may be wrong, but I don't see how cardio training will help you "face conditioning" If this were the case, every boxer would have a chin of iron, as running at least 5 miles a day is part of their training. We all know that there are many a boxer that have a glass jaw. As for conditioning the jaw, I wouldn't try to spar full contact in an attempt too do this. When we train for fights, we may spar full contact once or twice a week. you don't want to absorb too many shots to the head. One thing you can do is condition your neck. your neck has to be strong in order to be able to absorb a good shot in the mug. between that and the limited full contact training, you should be fine.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

SevenStar
05-01-2001, 09:12 AM
One more thing...thinking about it, I'm not sure if it's as much of a conditioning issue as it is an experience issue. Have you ever taken a hook to the jaw - a hard one? If not, spin around until you get dizzy. After you are dizzy, spin another 10 times of so. When you stop (yes everything will be spinning) try to throw accurate punches and kicks. that's what it feels like. you equilibrium gets screwed up, making it hard enough to stand, let alone throw punches and kicks. With experience, you learn how to deal with this, and how to recover more quickly. That's why boxers that get knocked down can get up and finish a fight.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

popsider
05-03-2001, 01:44 PM
Yes condition your neck, there are various ways you can do this, put a towel around the back and pull forward, a knock out is caused by shock to the brain so a strong neck that stops your head snapping about is useful. Btw if you want to knock someone out then I've read a succession of fast blows to the head is more effective than one big one - I stand to be corrected on that one.

Also you can try and condition the jaw muscles by lifting light weights in your mouth, if your teeth fall out don't blame me, it's just something I saw a boxer doing.

UberShaman
05-03-2001, 04:10 PM
Jack Dempsey chewed on a leather strap for this same purpose.

joedoe
05-04-2001, 11:39 AM
Cardio conditioning will help you to take body blows better. Every time you get hit, it takes some energy out of you. If you are in better cardio condition you will take the blows better, and last longer in the fight.

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.